Chuba Akpom: 23 - PAOK - Striker

DENMARK
Ellery Balcombe: 19 - Viborg (On loan from Brentford) - Goalkeeper

NORWAY
Aidan Barlow: 19 - Tromsø (On loan from Manchester United) - Central midfielder

USA
Wayne Rooney: 33 - Washington D.C. United - Strikers
Bradley Wright-Phillips: 34 - New York Red Bulls - Striker
Josh Sims: 22 - New York Red Bulls (On loan from Southampton) - Attacking midfielder
Michael Mancienne: 31 - New England Revolution - Defender

ARGENTINIA
Noah Toribio: 20 - Boca Juniors - Centre-back

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Liam Kelly plays for Feyenoord. He's Irish / British though, don't know if that counts?

He's also shite.

Also, what the feck, VVV signed Lee Cattermole? :lol:

United58

Lee Cattermole in the ball playing Dutch league is strange.

Interestingly, he has 16 career club goals - 7 of them came last season alone in League 1.

Classical Mechanic

Never head of Noah Toribio before, eligible for Argentina, Italy England and the USA! He looks bloody English though doesn't he.

Looking at his career progression so far he's probably not one to get too excited about just yet.

Liam Kelly plays for Feyenoord. He's Irish / British though, don't know if that counts?

He's also shite.

Also, what the feck, VVV signed Lee Cattermole? :lol:
He's English, at least he's turned Ireland down because he wants to play for England!

neilv93

Another to add for Spain is Charlie I'Anson, playing for third tier Raya Majadahonda. Recently left Murcia after playing for Valencia and Granada. Luton-born, started his career at Grimsby.

Ramos

Cameron Humphreys: 21 - Zulte-Waregem (Belgium) - Centre-back

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Lee Cattermole in the ball playing Dutch league is strange.

Interestingly, he has 16 career club goals - 7 of them came last season alone in League 1.
The dutch league has also a fair share of rough to violent players. It's also part of their league culture, despite selling us the image of ball possession attacking oriented league.

Back on topic:
Josh Tymon is actually a very decent young player. I doubt that Stoke has much better than him atm, so kinda strange to see him loaned out to actually compete in a more competitive league.

Not a brilliant player technically but not bad either, but he works hard and has good physical qualities for a defender. I think he can actually be a part of a midtable EPL team in the future.

Classical Mechanic

The dutch league has also a fair share of rough to violent players. It's also part of their league culture, despite selling us the image of ball possession attacking oriented league.

Back on topic:
Josh Tymon is actually a very decent young player. I doubt that Stoke has much better than him atm, so kinda strange to see him loaned out to actually compete in a more competitive league.

Not a brilliant player technically but not bad either, but he works hard and has good physical qualities for a defender. I think he can actually be a part of a midtable EPL team in the future.
I don't think the Portuguese is more competitive than The Championship, it's a completely lopsided league in terms of quality with a big drop off from the top 3 or 4 sides. The Championship is generally ultra competitive with quality levels very close and 44 games in a season. One thing that I've noticed is that players that have done well in Holland like Mount, Baker and now Clarke Salter and Crowley find it much harder in The Championship to look as good.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I don't think the Portuguese is more competitive than The Championship, it's a completely lopsided league in terms of quality with a big drop off from the top 3 or 4 sides. The Championship is generally ultra competitive with quality levels very close and 44 games in a season. One thing that I've noticed is that players that have done well in Holland like Mount, Baker and now Clarke Salter and Crowley find it much harder in The Championship to look as good.
Have to agree to some extent. In the end, the balance between teams on the Championship is much bigger.

Nick7

He's English, at least he's turned Ireland down because he wants to play for England!
That was honestly hilarious when he turned down the call up. He's played for our youth teams and never in a million years looked good enough for England.

Of course since his move to Feyenoord he's been banging on the drum about how he has the "Irish mentality" and hopes for another call up.

SparkedIntoLife

Chris Willock is still on Benfica's books, albeit on loan to West Brom. Saido Berahino has started well at Zulte Waregem.

Not sure there's ever been a time where so many English players were playing overseas. Very positive IMHO.

Classical Mechanic

That was honestly hilarious when he turned down the call up. He's played for our youth teams and never in a million years looked good enough for England.

Of course since his move to Feyenoord he's been banging on the drum about how he has the "Irish mentality" and hopes for another call up.
To be fair to him he backed himself which can't be a bad thing but he looks a pretty rudimentary player when I've seen him.

neilv93

I'd be surprised if Ohio and Musiala were still 'English' by the end of the season too. Think they'll play for Holland and Germany respectively.
I imagine Ronaldo Vieira will ultimately end up representing Guinea-Bissau or Portugal one day, rather than England.

Classical Mechanic

I imagine Ronaldo Vieira will ultimately end up representing Guinea-Bissau or Portugal one day, rather than England.
That's if he's ever good enough for England or Portugal. I'm not so sure on that one though, he's already publicly stated that he's chosen England although he can still switch. If he does well this season I'm sure he could be called up to England seniors.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Chris Willock is still on Benfica's books, albeit on loan to West Brom. Saido Berahino has started well at Zulte Waregem.

Not sure there's ever been a time where so many English players were playing overseas. Very positive IMHO.
I think there probably is/was some cultural thing in the UK that unless you go for a good club outside UK, it would be consider a failure and a total nonsense to join a smaller team outside UK.

Despite what a lot of stereotypes will say, the regular UK player does have enough quality to be a part of mid-table teams for tier 2 / 3 European leagues, earning some good money while on it, and probably getting some UEFA competitive games.

I don't know about the regular professional UK player, but I would rather be earning more or less the same money plus benefits (a lot of clubs include rented apartments in central locations, for example) and experiencing playing abroad.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Refreshing. Use to get one maximum 2 English players in Europe playing in decent leagues a season.

neilv93

That's if he's ever good enough for England or Portugal. I'm not so sure on that one though, he's already publicly stated that he's chosen England although he can still switch. If he does well this season I'm sure he could be called up to England seniors.
He's got the potential, for sure. No doubt he'll be in the PL in 2/3 years if he does well for Samp.

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
He’s Nigerian in football terms now.
I get it, but maybe it will be the case of many others here from this list in the future becouse many will not find so much space in the english team and will probably need to choose the national team of their parents from Africa or whatever

Supports
England
Switching from England to play for a team like Nigeria or Ireland is basically an admission that you care about playing internationally but don't think you're good enough to crack into the England senior team consistently.

Or you care more about your ancestral homeland than your actual nation. I can understand that but I don't respect it and it still pisses me off. I say this to a lot of English-born "Italians" in my town who actively cheer against us in major tournaments and then taunt us when we go out (not just bantz either but the kind of stuff that can get violent quickly).

You think Harry Kane was ever going to switch allegiances even though he could've done? No, he was always going to stay and fight for a place, even when he was over 21 and it looked unlikely that he'd be England standard. Now he's been repaid in spades by captaining his country to two semifinals with one 3rd place medal and a Golden Boot. And you can see how much it means to him. I doubt many players take England duty as seriously as Kane -- his Twitter picture almost always features him in an England shirt with the England crest displayed as prominently as the Spurs equivalents.

Not that this rambling has much to do with anything.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Switching from England to play for a team like Nigeria or Ireland is basically an admission that you care about playing internationally but don't think you're good enough to crack into the England senior team consistently.

Or you care more about your ancestral homeland than your actual nation. I can understand that but I don't respect it and it still pisses me off. I say this to a lot of English-born "Italians" in my town who actively cheer against us in major tournaments and then taunt us when we go out (not just bantz either but the kind of stuff that can get violent quickly).

You think Harry Kane was ever going to switch allegiances even though he could've done? No, he was always going to stay and fight for a place, even when he was over 21 and it looked unlikely that he'd be England standard. Now he's been repaid in spades by captaining his country to two semifinals with one 3rd place medal and a Golden Boot. And you can see how much it means to him. I doubt many players take England duty as seriously as Kane -- his Twitter picture almost always features him in an England shirt with the England crest displayed as prominently as the Spurs equivalents.

Kane started for the full England team against Germany when he was 21 and before that he played for England under 21, under 20, under 19, etc, etc.

It never "looked unlikely he'd be England standard".

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Caulker playing in Turkey at 27? He wasn't great but surely a club like Brighton or Villa could do with him.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City

Completely agree, it's disrespectful to the country that you actually owe your present position of privilege to.

It looked unlikely he'd be Premier League standard when he played for us.

Supports
England
Kane started for the full England team against Germany when he was 21 and before that he played for England under 21, under 20, under 19, etc, etc.

Wrong. He ruled out switching allegiances when he had about 3 PL goals to his name and before his breakout season.

duffer

Scout
Wrong. He ruled out switching allegiances when he had about 3 PL goals to his name and before his breakout season.
Nothing I said was wrong. He was playing and scoring for the England first team at 21. He did play for England at many youth levels.

If you didn't think he was "England standard when he was over 21" then I'd also suggest you don't get a job as a scout.

I didn't say anything about switching allegiances.

Supports
England
Nothing I said was wrong. He was playing and scoring for the England first team at 21. He did play for England at many youth levels.

If you didn't think he was "England standard when he was over 21" then I'd also suggest you don't get a job as a scout.

I didn't say anything about switching allegiances.
My whole post was about switching allegiances. At the time he stated his wish to fight for a place in the England first team, he was not a major player in the PL or even a starter and was not considered to be anything more than mid-table fodder by the overwhelming majority of people.

If you claim to be one of the few oracles who foresaw him becoming a world class striker while he was putting in mediocre loan shifts, more power to you.

He got his first senior start because he was tearing up the league during his breakout season: a season that almost nobody predicted (except apparently you[1]).

The only thing I got wrong was an off-hand comment about his age when he made that sub appearance against Lithuania but it really doesn't change the meat of what I was saying: Kane was not hot property at all when he made his national team decision.

[1] And I say this as someone who actually bought into the Kane hype train "too early" according to most people. As soon as I saw him in the Europa League, I predicted big things for him based on his style of play. I never bought the "one season wonder" tag even when he was half a dozen games into his second major season without scoring for Spurs.

Last edited:

duffer

Scout
If you claim to be one of the few oracles who foresaw him becoming a world class striker while he was putting in mediocre loan shifts, more power to you.
Did I say I knew he'd be a world class player? No, that would be stupid.

Did I think it was "unlikely he'd be England material" based on performances on loans at lower league sides? Of course not, that would be also be stupid.

Playing for England at every youth level normally means there's a decent chance you'll turn out to be a better than average player.

Nick7

To be fair Liam Kelly would be switching allegiances to England. Played for all out youth teams. Lookman the opposite though.

We've had a few players recently that play for our youth team and switch to England. Keane and Grealish for example.

Supports
England
Did I say I knew he'd be a world class player? No, that would be stupid.

Did I think it was "unlikely he'd be England material" based on performances on loans at lower league sides? Of course not, that would be also be stupid.

Playing for England at every youth level normally means there's a decent chance you'll turn out to be a better than average player.
I think we're talking across each other to some extent. We clearly agree that Kane was always promising beyond his general rating but it's the general rating that matters.

I originally only wanted to talk about his position in football when he decided his national team future. When he committed to England shortly before he broke out, he couldn't have known how well he would perform that season in order to get called up so quickly (and he definitely couldn't have foreseen the goal drought among Soldado et al. that set it all in motion and granted him his chance with Spurs). That's why I use Kane as an example of someone whose England future was far from certain (and gloomy according to most football fans) when he decided to stay patriotic and fight for England.

England seniors in 2015 were still overwhelmingly chosen on big name and big club status (not having the more youth pipeline-oriented Southgate yet) and Kane wasn't those things until most of the way through his breakout season for Spurs. A supermajority of players from the England U21 squad in the 2015 Euros are currently nowhere near the senior squad and more or less a majority never got a cap, so the pipeline for Kane to become an important senior player was never greatly in his favour. It was his nascent quality that shone out for youth-shy Hodgson in the end.

Anyway, that's my only point: Kane is a model of what I like to see in an England player because he made a firm and bold decision to commit to England prior to any call-up (and it just happened to pay off sooner rather than later).

We're not debating his quality because we clearly both rate and rated him. I personally rated Kane very highly even while he was still playing for the U21s (being 22 at the time of the Euros he rejoined). The vast, vast majority of people did not. I was one of his earliest supporters, which led me on a path to him becoming my favourite player of all time. I've seen every recorded match he's ever played and have been discussing and defending him since about 2014 so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to Kane.

P.S. I am sorry for the strawman. That was uncharacteristically poor argumentation on my part.

Last edited:
Reactions: duffer

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Don't quit your day job to be a scout!
Meh, at what point did you stop kissing your Josh McEachran poster?

In any case, considering Harry Kane's overall game style now and the fact that back then it did not possess anywhere near the same consistency and therefore output, I'm curious as to what about Harry Kane impressed you so much during his early loan spells?

Supports
England

In any case, considering Harry Kane's overall game style now and the fact that back then it did not possess anywhere near the same consistency and therefore output, I'm curious as to what about Harry Kane impressed you so much during his early loan spells?
I didn't much appreciate duffer's sarcasm either but I'd also be interested to hear his answer.

Personally, I was impressed by Kane when I watched him play youth groups for England. As you say, I don't think there's much to take away from his loan spells, especially not from his time at Norwich, but he did display flashes of his England youth material at Millwall.

Kane's always had something special about his striking technique and timing. Even when he wasn't as clinical as he is now, you could tell that the ideas were spot on. His coaches clung to this: correctly (and fortunately) predicting that if he could perfect the execution, he would go on to become a lethal finisher. (Though I doubt a single one ever saw him becoming a world top 3 striker)

It all stems from his history playing as a goalkeeper. He knows how they think. He knows exactly what goalkeepers don't want and then gives it to them.

duffer

Scout

I'll never stop kissing that poster, and my Jeremie Boga and my Charly Musonda posters.

It's not about me knowing he'd be great ( I never said that), it's about the vast majority of people not being able to make a reasonable judgement on a young player from a handful of games, especially when on loan to a new club.

Last edited: