English players abroad 2019/2020

Classical Mechanic

So is he a winger? What would be a decent comparison?

Vitoria have an exciting team so I will be keeping tabs on them for sure.
He has been compared to Messi because he's left footed and has amazing close control and dribbling skills. Its a mental thing for him though, he's been accused of being unprofessional when he had a terrible loan at Norwich and he just seems to have a weird personality. If you read interviews with him he seems kind of unsure about himself and a bit depressed maybe, not sure really.

When England won the u19 Euros he was a bench player and behind Issac Buckley-Ricketts, Edwards is so much more talented that IBR its untrue, which says a lot about him.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Well he was always referred to as a Mini Messi so :lol:.

But in all seriousness, he plays a lot on the right (not sure about his spell at Excelsior, but I believe he did there as well) coming in on his left, but also through the middle which is where I always thought he would be best suited. Out wide though he's great at getting past his man, has a ton of flair and that low centre of gravity and really good technical ability makes him super fun to watch. Basically he loves taking on players, he loves to dribble and is like a kid in a park with the way he plays the game. He's spoken in the past about how Neymar is his idol and there's definite similarities in their playstyle.

In senior football though I think the club decided that he might struggle to go up against senior teams at the top level who are far more tactically drilled and physically able to bully him as well. He also had some disputes with the club and there were some questions over his attitude, but he's still young so I really hope that is something he can get past. Had some issues with loans in the past where his work rate wasn't quite enough when he felt he wasn't getting chances, but his spell at Excelsior went really well.

IMO if he gets his head down and really focuses on his game, he can still make it. The fundamentals are all there and he's an absolute livewire. I'd also say he needs to put a lot of work in at the gym, not bulking up or whatever because you don't have to be big to play football, but just getting as fit as he can possibly be and combine that incredible balance with some serious wiriness ala Sterling. That's all that's needed I think, because the talent is all there it's just about the application.

I'll for sure be tuning in whenever he starts for Vitoria. Imagining an England side with him and Sancho in it is :drool:.
Thanks for that! I was watching some videos of him last season and technically he seemed sound but he lacked end product. He is still young so that can obviously improve.

Also Vitoria face Arsenal in the group phase of the europa so hopefully he will be in the first team by then.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
He has been compared to Messi because he's left footed and has amazing close control and dribbling skills. Its a mental thing for him though, he's been accused of being unprofessional when he had a terrible loan at Norwich and he just seems to have a weird personality. If you read interviews with him he seems kind of unsure about himself and a bit depressed maybe, not sure really.

When England won the u19 Euros he was a bench player and behind Issac Buckley-Ricketts, Edwards is so much more talented that IBR its untrue, which says a lot about him.
Thats the exact video I saw! Showed some good stuff there. Vitoria is a good club for him they have a great fanbase and are good at developing young players so hopefully this is a great move for him.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Thanks for that! I was watching some videos of him last season and technically he seemed sound but he lacked end product. He is still young so that can obviously improve.

Also Vitoria face Arsenal in the group phase of the europa so hopefully he will be in the first team by then.

:drool: Feck em up Edwards.

Classical Mechanic

Thats the exact video I saw! Showed some good stuff there. Vitoria is a good club for him they have a great fanbase and are good at developing young players so hopefully this is a great move for him.
It would be great to see him succeed but after following his career so far I'm very sceptial that he will.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Lewis Baker starting for Dusseldorf against Wolfsburg on BT Sport

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
WEEKEND REPORT
SPAIN
Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid) played the full match against Sociedad.
Arvin Appiah (Almeria) wasn't in the squad.
Samuel Shashoua (Tenerife) wasn't in the squad.

ITALY
Chris Smalling (AS Roma) is injured.
Ronaldo Vieira (Sampdoria) is banned.
Bobby Duncan (Fiorentina) scored for their Primavera team.
DJ Buffonge (Spezia) has played 15 minutes.

GERMANY
Jadon Sancho (Dortmund) played the full match and made an assist in the 4-0 win against Leverkusen.
Jonjoe Kenny (Schalke) played the full match and made an assist in the 5-1 win against Paderborn.
Ademola Lookman (Leipzig) was on the bench against Bayern Munich.
Reece Oxford (Augsburg) played 25 minutes against Frankfurt.
Lewis Baker (Düsseldorf) was back in the starting XI and played the full match against Wolfsburg.
Keanan Bennetts (Mönchengladbach) is again injured.
Xavier Amaechi (Hamburg) was on the bench.
Nathaniel Phillips (Stuttgart) was on the bench.
Jordi Osei-Tutu (Bochum) was on the bench.
Matt Penney (St. Pauli) made his debut and played 30 minutes in the 2-0 derby win against Hamburg.
Mandela Egbo (Darmstadt) was on the bench.
Jamal Musiala (Bayern Munich youth) scored a goal.

FRANCE
Josh Maja (Bordeaux) played 15 minutes.
Stephy Mavididi (Dijon) played the full match.

PORTUGAL
Marcus Edwards (Vitoria) wasn't in the squad.
Josh Tymon (Famalicao) played 12 minutes.

NETHERLANDS
Lee Cattermole (VVV Venlo) played the full match.
Joshua Bohui (NAC Breda) is injured.
Ike Ugbo (Roda JC) played the full match and scored a goal against FC Eindhoven.
Marcus McGuane (Telstar) made his debut and played the full match.
Joel Latibeaudiere (Twente) was on the bench.
Noni Madueke (PSV youth)

BELGIUM
Jonathan Panzo (Cercle Brugge) made his debut and played the full match in the Bruges derby.
Kemar Roofe (Anderlecht) wasn't in the squad.
Cameron Humphreys (Zulte Waregem) came on at half-time.

TURKEY
Daniel Sturridge (Trabzonspor) made his debut and played 20 minutes.
Steven Caulker (Alanyaspor) played the full match in the 3-1 win against Fenerbahce.
Cameron Jerome (Göztepespor) wasn't in the squad.

GREECE
Chuba Akpom (PAOK) played the full match and scored a goal against Atromitos.

DENMARK
Ellery Balcombe (Viborg) made his debut and kept a cleen-sheet.

NORWAY
Aidan Barlow (Tromsø) played 62 minutes.

USA
Wayne Rooney (Washington D.C. United) played 80 minutes.
Bradley Wright-Phillips (New York Red Bulls) played the full match.
Josh Sims (New York Red Bulls) came on just before half-time.
Michael Mancienne (New England Revolution) played 22 minutes.

Last edited:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It looks like Marcus Edwards had his first 35 minutes today for Vitoria Guimarães coming from the bench, a game they won, didn’t watched but at least on Sofascore the rating was good, let’s see if he will get more minutes in the next weeks.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Good to see Lookman start the last 2 games for Leipzig. If he maintains his place he must be due an England call up?

Interested in Latibeaudiere starting his first game for Twente yesterday, Panzo/Oxford/Viera getting regular starts for their clubs also as these are positions England are currently lacking in.

Xavier Amaechi is having a surprisingly slow start at Hamburg, not sure he's made an appearance yet.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
TBF starting for a Champions League team in a top European league is no mean feat. Outside of Hudson-Odoi, Sterling and Sancho, is there such superior competition for the 5ish out and out winger spots in the England squad that he could be ignored?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
TBF starting for a Champions League team in a top European league is no mean feat. Outside of Hudson-Odoi, Sterling and Sancho, is there such superior competition for the 5ish out and out winger spots in the England squad that he could be ignored?
I don't think Southgate is interested in having 5 "out and out" wingers in the squad given the formation he uses.

Mount, Rashford and even Madison (as well as the 3 you mentioned) would be used out wide over Lookman.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I’m worried that Kenny will want to stay at Schalke. He’s doing well over there right now.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
I don't think Southgate is interested in having 5 "out and out" wingers in the squad given the formation he uses.

Mount, Rashford and even Madison (as well as the 3 you mentioned) would be used out wide over Lookman.
Rashford isn't exactly a world beater though and I think from recent matches Mount/Maddison are considered part of the 3 central midfielders, in addition to and not instead of the 2 wingers and striker.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Rashford isn't exactly a world beater though and I think from recent matches Mount/Maddison are considered part of the 3 central midfielders, in addition to and not instead of the 2 wingers and striker.
Mount has played further forward for Chelsea and you might not think Rashford is a world beater bit he is miles ahead of Lookman, despite being almost exactly the same age.

If Lookman finally gets a run of games and starts performing, I can see Southgate giving him a chance but at the moment, he is way, way down the list. Demari Grey and even that Saka kid at Arsenal are probably as close to a call up (which is not close at all).

Dave_MUFC

Thought I'd research and give an update on how the players are doing abroad:

SPAIN
Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid) - Currently injured and missed the last few games. Just had groin surgery, so expected to be out for a little while more.
Arvin Appiah (Almeria) - Seems to have broken into the team and played the last couple of games. Form isn't great, playing 9 and scoring none.
Samuel Shashoua (Tenerife) - 6 goals in 33 apps for Tenerife so far.

ITALY
Chris Smalling (AS Roma) - Seems to be flourishing in Italy, having created a partnership with Gianluca Mancini. Roma seem to want to make the move permanent.
Ronaldo Vieira (Sampdoria) - Has become a first team/regular squad player, playing most games or coming on as a sub, although just the 1 assist to his name.
Bobby Duncan (Fiorentina) - Not working out as planned, just the 3 goals that he scored close to the beginning of the season, and hasn't been in the squad the last 6 matches. Almost no chance of breaking into the first team squad with the new striker signings Fiorentina made in January.
DJ Buffonge (Spezia) - Gone on loan to serie C side Pergolettese.
Ashley Young (Inter Milan) - Moved to Inter from United in January. 2 appearances, 1 assist so far.

GERMANY
Jadon Sancho (Dortmund) - One of the most in-form players in Europe at the moment, with 12 goals and 12 assists in 18 matches for Dortmund. Arrival of Haaland seems to have pushed him even more.
Jonjoe Kenny (Schalke) - Has been a regular at RB for Schalke, with 1 goal and 2 assists.
Ademola Lookman (Leipzig) - Another one not working out, just 4 appearances this season as a sub. Will most likely look to move on in the summer.
Reece Oxford (Augsburg) - Hasn't played since November, and before that was just as a sub.
Lewis Baker (Düsseldorf) - returned to Chelsea in January.
Keanan Bennetts (Mönchengladbach) - No appearances for the Bundesliga side.
Xavier Amaechi (Hamburg) - 1 appearance for the senior side as a sub.
Nathaniel Phillips (Stuttgart) - A starter as CB for Stuttgart, putting in some solid performances.
Jordi Osei-Tutu (Bochum) - Had some good performances before the new year, but not much since.
Matt Penney (St. Pauli) - Reasonably regular player for St. Pauli, making 9 appearances so far.
Mandela Egbo (Darmstadt) - Moved to NY Red Bulls.
Jamal Musiala (Bayern Munich youth) - Recently moved up from the U17 to the U19s.
Antony Evans (Paderborn) - Made the move to Paderborn from Everton.
Clinton Mola (Stuttgart) - Highly rated Chelsea youth DM moved to Stuttgart.

FRANCE
Josh Maja (Bordeaux) Got a hattrick in December against Nimes. Not played too much since.
Stephy Mavididi (Dijon) - Regular player and got a goal beginning of Feb against Brest.

PORTUGAL
Marcus Edwards (Vitoria) - Has become a key player for Vitoria. Went through a purple patch in December scoring 3 and assisting 2, but has since not contributed.
Josh Tymon (Famalicao) - Back at Stoke now, after not playing too much for Familicao.

NETHERLANDS
Lee Cattermole (VVV Venlo) - Returned from injury and has been played the last few games.
Joshua Bohui (NAC Breda) - Has been a sub player and on the bench last few games. No goals or assist though.
Ike Ugbo (Roda JC) - 4 goals in 4 in November, a regular player, but has only scored one since.
Marcus McGuane (Telstar) - Not in the squad since December. Seems to be going to Nottingham Forest soon?
Joel Latibeaudiere (Twente) - Still on the bench most of the time.
Noni Madueke (PSV youth) - Has been moved to the second team, and also training with the first team. Seems close to a debut.
Jerome Sinclair (VVV Venlo) - Former prospect, on loan from Watford. 19 appearances, 0 goals, 1 assist, says it all.

BELGIUM
Jonathan Panzo (Cercle Brugge) - A regular player, 1 assist to his name.
Kemar Roofe (Anderlecht) - 1 goal since November, now injured.
Cameron Humphreys (Excelsior) - Gone on loan to Excelsior from Zulte Waregam. No appearances yet.

TURKEY
Daniel Sturridge (Trabzonspor) - Been a useful squad player. 4 goals in 10 apps.
Steven Caulker (Alanyaspor) - Regular player, 4 assists in last 4 apps.
Cameron Jerome (Göztepespor) - Regular player, although just the 2 goals this season.

GREECE
Chuba Akpom (PAOK) - Mainly a sub player.

DENMARK
Ellery Balcombe (Viborg) - Has returned to Brentford.

NORWAY
Aidan Barlow (Tromsø) - Returned back to Man United and back to the reserves.

USA
Wayne Rooney (Washington D.C. United) - Got his move to Derby County, and doing well, scoring a few goals already.
Bradley Wright-Phillips (New York Red Bulls) - Left and is now a free agent.
Josh Sims (New York Red Bulls) - MLS season over.
Michael Mancienne (New England Revolution) - MLS season over.

Reactions: roonster09

Classical Mechanic

Marcus Edwards with this for Vitoria tonight. Had a decent season 6th highest rated player in the league on whoscored. Still worth keeping an eye on.

TrustInOle

I rate Marcus Edwards highly.
Hope we are keeping tabs on him. Doing exceedingly well in Portugal now and always thought he was close to becoming a regular at spurs from the youth games I seen. Any info on why he didn't get his chance? Looks a baller these days.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Hope we are keeping tabs on him. Doing exceedingly well in Portugal now and always thought he was close to becoming a regular at spurs from the youth games I seen. Any info on why he didn't get his chance? Looks a baller these days.
Pochettino had this to say about him

"He has authority and behavioral problems, and we have to look at the bigger picture to find out the root cause. There was a time when it would have been seen as impossible for him to play professionally, let alone make it in the Premier League. Our challenge is to get him to accept the pathway we've laid out for him, and it's our responsibility to make sure he behaves himself when he trains with the first team (with all the rules and obligations this involves)"

Edwards had this to say 1 year ago.
"I know I was a bit difficult when I was going through the academy."
You can read about it here if interested

Marcus Edwards

He initially caught my interest with his impressive performances for Spurs and England at youth level.

This is taken from a post of mine in 2017

In this post I was proven to be incorrect when I predicted it was only a matter of time before Edwards was introduced in the starting berth for Spurs. Pochettino would reveal how he was disappointed by his attitude, and mentality. As illustrated below:

Marcus Edwards has admitted to having a questionable attitude -

However, it seems like going out of his comfort zone (currently plays in Portugal for Vitória S.C) has brought some much needed maturity.

One area which Marcus Edwards has matured in his game is his eagerness to receive the ball.

The above is from a game against Benfica this season.

Here he receives the ball by the touchline, and his immediate reaction is to pick out his teammates, as opposed to dribbling with his head down in an attempt to do it all by himself. This has been a criticism of him in the past. To digress for a brief moment, it was very recently when Daniel James received criticism for playing with tunnel vision against Man City, going for goal when Bruno Fernandes was in a better position.

I particularly liked this moment against Benfica. Nice vision here, tantalisingly close. It was put to a halt as the keeper came out. But the idea was good.

Before

Now against Porto, he once again has the ball up. This time its when he's moving at pace.

After

Perfect execution here as this defence splitting pass leads to one of the best opportunities in the game.

Marcus Edwards vs the big three in Portugal

Benfica:
It was an encounter where Vitória S.C. put in an admirable performances. Not a one sided affair by any stretches of the imagination. Without mentioning the instances of the pictures above, there was a moment of individual brilliance with a dribble in a tightly congested area. In terms of position, he was consistently situated in dangerous areas. Sometimes he was offering himself as an outlet by staying wide and providing width, other times he was finding himself in between Taarabt and Pires, other times positioned by the half spaces.

Porto:
So apart from the defence splitting pass which is in an image above, he had other noteworthy moments.The game against Porto offered a different dynamic to the one against Benfica, as Porto were very dominant. In any case, Edwards had a shot cleared off the line, with the keeper beaten. In the latter stages of the game he almost got a pre-assist,

Sporting CP:
• 5 of 7 dribbles completed
• 5 shot contributions
• 4 fouls won
• 1 goal

European Stage
Scored against Arsenal and Eintracht Frankfurt.

There was another moment against Arsenal I liked .... a flee footed dribble which started from his own half and ended by him advancing to the opposing box at a very high pace.

Areas he can improve

Sometimes he can be a bit soft. There was a moment against Benfica where Taarabt barely touched him, and he was on the floor. He did win a free kick, but I felt it was soft myself. Additionally, he's one footed, I remember him shifting his body to do an outside of the boot pass with his dominant left footed, instead of the much simpler option with just using his right foot. In the dying stages of the game against Porto, he did a fantastic job of trapping the ball dead, beat a player from that standing position, and then he spoiled it by attempting another a dribble. A dribble which wasn't neccessary, even if it was successful. The moment needed a desperate shot, or a last ditch pass. On that note, I'd like to see him shoot more.

How difficult would it be to get him?

He has a £13.6 million release clause to my knowledge. Potentially great from his perspective too, as I spotted numerous occasions where he was let down by his teammates.

Ignores the run of Edwards, and squares it instead.
Edwards in space, full back turns around
Edwards free on the right, player dribbles to the left touchline and then gets dispossessed

Stats:
FWR (Forward right) - 4 goals and 1 assist in 7 appearances = 7.85 WhoScored rating
AMR (Attacking midfield right) - 1 goal and 2 assists in 3 appearances = 7.41 WhoScored rating
MR (Midfielder right) - 1 goal and 1 assist in 9 appearances = 6.90 WhoScored rating

TrustInOle

Pochettino had this to say about him

"He has authority and behavioral problems, and we have to look at the bigger picture to find out the root cause. There was a time when it would have been seen as impossible for him to play professionally, let alone make it in the Premier League. Our challenge is to get him to accept the pathway we've laid out for him, and it's our responsibility to make sure he behaves himself when he trains with the first team (with all the rules and obligations this involves)"

Edwards had this to say 1 year ago.

You can read about it here if interested
Appreciate that pal. Was a good read, definatley sounds like he had an attitude problem as a kid, wasn't aware of the drama regarding his first contract. But does seem to have grounded himself and built abit more maturity to see where he went wrong in the past. Hope he keeps it up, from what I have seen of him in Portugal, seems to have screwed his head on and understands the attacking side of the game so well and can't say I've seen any lack of willingness from him to track back these days.

Definatley sounds like he was close to treading the same path as Ravel, but interesting he's close friends with Sancho and took a leaf out of his book when it could have been easier to move somewhere else in England.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Not English of course but Scot Reece Burke has had a very decent first half against Real Madrid for Alaves