Enough with these terrible "pundits" on t.v

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Sports punditry is about entertainment, not facts or accuracy. Fans just want her former players chat shite just like we see on this forum.

It always makes me chuckle when fans are critical of pundits, yet those same fans make clueless football statements on a daily basis on the caf. I assure you these "pundits" know 10x as much than the average fan on here.
Except they're paid for it and their opinion is broadcasted to thousands if not millions. At least put some damn effort into studying what formations teams use then spurting out BS no different than a facebook comment section.

shamans

Why would Tim Sherwood not have 'any business' discussing managers?

He's managed two Premier League clubs, he would clearly have experience and know at least something about the league. He did an alright job at us I thought, and Villa were pretty much doomed, but hey he got them to an FA cup final. Clearly not a great manager, but still more qualified than most people to talk about the league, no? Before being a manager he had extensive experience as a coach in the Premier League, led an U21 team (very well) and was a technical director.

Add that to a solid playing career and surely he is very qualified to talk about football?
Maybe I used the wrong words. What I meant is he doesn't care about actually analyzing the teams. Pundits like him just go about using Buzzwords and cliches to get approval from the casual fan. They simplify issues like "Kante play attack bad. Must play DM. Sarri dumb" and that's it. No effort or explanation.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not playing Kante in his proper position is criminal, .
His "proper" position doesn't exist in a possession based 4-3-3 so it's about finding his best position within this system which is clearly where he currently is.

Anyone who thinks his best position is as a sitting lone DM know nothing about him or are using it as a way to dig out Chelsea.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
A lot of football fans enjoy watching an intelligent discussion on air though. We want to know what these guys think of the league and certain matches and provide insights that only they can offer as ex professionals.

What sky should do is bring in much better pundits that they have. We pay for the premium.

I can’t get me head around wanting to listen to “pundits” talking football at all. Just rather watch the games and come to my own insights. Merson is only on nonsense shows anyway.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Maybe I used the wrong words. What I meant is he doesn't care about actually analyzing the teams. Pundits like him just go about using Buzzwords and cliches to get approval from the casual fan. They simplify issues like "Kante play attack bad. Must play DM. Sarri dumb" and that's it. No effort or explanation.
The likelihood is they are briefed to keep things simple. You have to remember they're addressing a general audience, the majority of which will be expecting pub talk level analysis.

Most people don't want in depth discussions about tactics or teams, they just want the basic 'if they give 110% they'll win' talk. You might get a couple like Carragher/Neville who go a bit above that and engage with the *gasp* tactics board, but it's still very much surface level analysis, because most people won't engage with anything more than that.

vodrake

It's getting a bit tiring whenever they try to manufacture controversy about something by wheeling out one of these middle aged ex-player pundits to whinge about how angry they are that Football isn't played in exactly the same way it was when they were playing anymore.

VAR, tackling, manager merry-go-round, transfer fees, social media etc

I get that they're paid to have an opinion and all, but they just all seem so out of touch

shamans

The likelihood is they are briefed to keep things simple. You have to remember they're addressing a general audience, the majority of which will be expecting pub talk level analysis.

Most people don't want in depth discussions about tactics or teams, they just want the basic 'if they give 110% they'll win' talk. You might get a couple like Carragher/Neville who go a bit above that and engage with the *gasp* tactics board, but it's still very much surface level analysis, because most people won't engage with anything more than that.
That's a lame excuse. Decent pundits have said something as simple as "You have to realize Sarri is trying to implement his way and it's not working" Rather than "Kante DM and Chelsea win. Simple as that". These pundits are lazy.

shamans

It's getting a bit tiring whenever they try to manufacture controversy about something by wheeling out one of these middle aged ex-player pundits to whinge about how angry they are that Football isn't played in exactly the same way it was when they were playing anymore.

VAR, tackling, manager merry-go-round, transfer fees, social media etc

I get that they're paid to have an opinion and all, but they just all seem so out of touch

The worst is when likes of Merson and Sherwood talk about how players are divas now and not hard men who "get on with it". Piss off, we enjoy a little bit of flair in the game. I enjoy colored hair and boots. If you don't that's you're opinion but quit framing it like some issue.

Morpheus 7

His "proper" position doesn't exist in a possession based 4-3-3 so it's about finding his best position within this system which is clearly where he currently is.

Anyone who thinks his best position is as a sitting lone DM know nothing about him or are using it as a way to dig out Chelsea.
You don't need to use Kante to dig out Chelsea, there is so much wrong at the moment. In my opinion it comes back to Sarri getting the most of the players he has, it's not made one mistake that's led to poor results. It's a combination of issues from playing Hazard as a CF earlier in the year, a stubborn formation that isn't flexible when it's not working, not giving the youth an opportunity, baffling substitutions when they are chasing a game, negative comments post game calling out these players with there history?

Sarri ball as it's called might take time to implement, unfortunately at a club like Chelsea you are not going to get two or three seasons to create that style. The previous managers have been pragmatic, organised and definitely more defensive. The nicotine LVG with his slow possession based football isn't effective in the premier league. It's more effective in Italy because you clearly get more time on the ball. The moment Jorgihno is pressed there is no proper width, a dm that barely tackles and wins the ball back. Kante retains the ball way better and has way more tempo to his game. If you can't see that then maybe it's pointless discussing things further.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
That's a lame excuse. Decent pundits have said something as simple as "You have to realize Sarri is trying to implement his way and it's not working" Rather than "Kante DM and Chelsea win. Simple as that". These pundits are lazy.
I generally find it's not worth getting too bothered about, I turn off when the analysis comes on. It's all just pub level talk about football and not really ever worth a listen.

I feel like the pundits know that everyone is talking about Sarri playing Kante out of position, so they know they'll get a reaction and people nodding along at home when they go 'Stick Kante at DM and you win, simple!'. It's pretty much all they have to do.

Inter Yer Nan

Well Merson is an alcoholic and a gambling addict who blew millions so I sort of hope anyone would take his words with a grain of salt.

I don't get to see the studio stuff apart from on youtube as I watch games on NBC sports here but I can say Souness is the worst. The worst of a bad bunch. A miserable, hateful, bitter old man. Why keep someone there that's clearly not enjoying himself and hates what he's watching and who he's watching? Same for Lawrenson with the BBC. Miserable git. He acts like he's being dragged along to the World Cup and such.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I remember that
You don't need to use Kante to dig out Chelsea, there is so much wrong at the moment. In my opinion it comes back to Sarri getting the most of the players he has, it's not made one mistake that's led to poor results. It's a combination of issues from playing Hazard as a CF earlier in the year, a stubborn formation that isn't flexible when it's not working, not giving the youth an opportunity, baffling substitutions when they are chasing a game, negative comments post game calling out these players with there history?

Sarri ball as it's called might take time to implement, unfortunately at a club like Chelsea you are not going to get two or three seasons to create that style. The previous managers have been pragmatic, organised and definitely more defensive. The nicotine LVG with his slow possession based football isn't effective in the premier league. It's more effective in Italy because you clearly get more time on the ball. The moment Jorgihno is pressed there is no proper width, a dm that barely tackles and wins the ball back. Kante retains the ball way better and has way more tempo to his game. If you can't see that then maybe it's pointless discussing things further.
I honestly believe a manager will get time if he was showing the right path despite indifferent results, Sarri was doing that upto mid January and was in no danger of the sack, certainly no rumours.

What's caused his likely departure is the form since Arsenal has been that bad i believe even Fergie would have picked up a fair few doubters had he ever overseen something similar (it's worse than any select month of Jose 15/16), our games against top flight teams in that period is won 2 lost 4 scored 7 conceded 15 with the four defeats being desperate lows not even Wenger hit.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The worst is when likes of Merson and Sherwood talk about how players are divas now and not hard men who "get on with it". Piss off, we enjoy a little bit of flair in the game. I enjoy colored hair and boots. If you don't that's you're opinion but quit framing it like some issue.
I would rather watch them dancing than Merson and his downing a pint celebration.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Tim Sherwood was a very decent coach and an average manager.

Punditry would be boring if people were only allowed to criticise people they felt were below them.
Some humility, or an acknowledgement that they and us on the outside don't have the whole picture that managers use to make decisions, wouldn't be amiss.

Morpheus 7

I remember that

I honestly believe a manager will get time if he was showing the right path despite indifferent results, Sarri was doing that upto mid January and was in no danger of the sack, certainly no rumours.

What's caused his likely departure is the form since Arsenal has been that bad i believe even Fergie would have picked up a fair few doubters had he ever overseen something similar (it's worse than any select month of Jose 15/16), our games against top flight teams in that period is won 2 lost 4 scored 7 conceded 15 with the four defeats being desperate lows not even Wenger hit.
There are big problems behind the scenes before this manager came, don't think it's fair to throw it all on Sarri. The man barely had a pre season and not sure how much input he's got on transfers like Pulasic, he's definitely had a horrendous few weeks but you can't compare it to the end of Wenger days. Didn't Arsenal only win something like one away game in the the league in 2018 under Wenger. It's not that bad yet, Arsenal were frequently getting pumped by Liverpool and City away. Chelsea are coming to a cross roads in my opinion. A clear plan needs to be put in place with this transfer band looming too. Roman needs to finally use that academy or it's only good to get worse. You can't keep going through managers like this, it's not sustainable for the next 10 years unless you are prepared to pay out big money. The new stadium being pulled and Brexit/Visa issues of Roman it's looking all very uncertain.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
My biggest bug bear with pundits is most offer nothing original or unique.

This may be unpopular but I'd rather see the fans from fans channels be pundits (obviously not someone like DT, but someone who is capable of forming an opinion of their own, will present it in a articulate manner and is capable of fair analysis, people like Lewis from Chelsea fan channels and i would actually say Troopz if he cut out the Blud/Fam as if you look beyond his lingo he's actually pretty knowledgable and raises excellent points) than the dull pundits repeating the same cliches over and over. The best pundits alongside knowledgable fans could be a masterstroke.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
There are big problems behind the scenes before this manager came, don't think it's fair to throw it all on Sarri. The man barely had a pre season and not sure how much input he's got on transfers like Pulasic, he's definitely had a horrendous few weeks but you can't compare it to the end of Wenger days. Didn't Arsenal only win something like one away game in the the league in 2018 under Wenger. It's not that bad yet, Arsenal were frequently getting pumped by Liverpool and City away. Chelsea are coming to a cross roads in my opinion. A clear plan needs to be put in place with this transfer band looming too. Roman needs to finally use that academy or it's only good to get worse. You can't keep going through managers like this, it's not sustainable for the next 10 years unless you are prepared to pay out big money. The new stadium being pulled and Brexit/Visa issues of Roman it's looking all very uncertain.
I agree it's not all on him but one thing i do hold a manager totally responsible for is mentality, ours has been horrendous, we look like we have no fight, the slightest set back we crumble.

With the Steve Holland and JT assistant rumours it does appear that youth development is finally being seen as a priority, whether it's too late to keep Odoi remains to be seen but there's more to this generation than him, results wise atleast we have the best set of youngsters since the Busby Babes and development of the best of them should be in the managers job description.

OverratedOpinion

I actually rate Sherwood as a pundit, he seems quite honest but doesn't look for negatives for the sake of creating a topic or making a headline.

Henry was the worst when he was on Sky.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I actually rate Sherwood as a pundit, he seems quite honest but doesn't look for negatives for the sake of creating a topic or making a headline.

Henry was the worst when he was on Sky.
I always felt the basis of whatever point he was making was pretty sound but he would always try to be too clever with the way he presented it and ended up going round in circles to a point we forgot what he was trying to say in the first place.

Morpheus 7

I agree it's not all on him but one thing i do hold a manager totally responsible for is mentality, ours has been horrendous, we look like we have no fight, the slightest set back we crumble.

With the Steve Holland and JT assistant rumours it does appear that youth development is finally being seen as a priority, whether it's too late to keep Odoi remains to be seen but there's more to this generation than him, results wise atleast we have the best set of youngsters since the Busby Babes and development of the best of them should be in the managers job description.
Yeah I agree with everything you said until you mentioned the busby babes. The strangest thing I've heard in a while in here, odd comparison.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I agree with everything you said until you mentioned the busby babes. The strangest thing I've heard in a while in here, odd comparison.
At youth level we have won 5 youth cups in a row, which was last achieved by the Busby Babes, that's what i meant by results wise we have been the most successful (not saying the best) since them at that level.

JohnnyKills

Work in the media myself. Here's how it works:

1. Most ex-pros aren't great in front of the microphone (try it yourself if you want to see how hard it is).
2. Producers are lazy and will always go with tried-and-tested first.
3. Some people have amazing agents.
4. A pundit who generates publicity is better than someone who generates interesting opinions.

So it's really no surprise the likes of Sutton, Savage and Wright keep getting gigs. In fact it's a surprise they don't get more.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Except they're paid for it and their opinion is broadcasted to thousands if not millions. At least put some damn effort into studying what formations teams use then spurting out BS no different than a facebook comment section.
Like I said in the post you quoted, accuracy doesn't matter. It's for the entertainment value of the casual fan. Bring in a recognizable football face and name and let them chat shite about football. No resume or references required. It's a simple formula that's served sports TV commentary for a very long time and it's not going to change just b/c some die hards want "better" commentary about their team.

Their salary is inconsequential with regards to my point about fans. As much as I think I know about football, I would probably be just as bad or worse if I had to talk about it to a televised, worldwide audience. I would rather hear Tim Sherwood's bland commentary than the most knowledgeable poster on the caf.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Work in the media myself. Here's how it works:

1. Most ex-pros aren't great in front of the microphone (try it yourself if you want to see how hard it is).
2. Producers are lazy and will always go with tried-and-tested first.
3. Some people have amazing agents.
4. A pundit who generates publicity is better than someone who generates interesting opinions.

So it's really no surprise the likes of Sutton, Savage and Wright keep getting gigs. In fact it's a surprise they don't get more.
You took the words right out of my mouth

Josh 76

Paul Merson on soccer Saturday 'Utd got taken apart by PSG. This 12 game winning streak papered over the cracks. Utd are still a million miles away from City and Liverpool'

Paul Merson 48 hours later on the debate 'Utd were magnificent against Chelsea. Ole has really impressed me. I make them favourites to beat Liverpool next Sunday'

:lol::lol::lol:

This sums it all up. Pundits are like any other football fan. When a team wins they are the best ever, when they lose they are the worst ever. All a waste of fecking time.

JohnnyKills

Like I said in the post you quoted, accuracy doesn't matter. It's for the entertainment value of the casual fan. Bring in a recognizable football face and name and let them chat shite about football. No resume or references required. It's a simple formula that's served sports TV commentary for a very long time and it's not going to change just b/c some die hards want "better" commentary about their team.

Their salary is inconsequential with regards to my point about fans. As much as I think I know about football, I would probably be just as bad or worse if I had to talk about it to a televised, worldwide audience. I would rather hear Tim Sherwood's bland commentary than the most knowledgeable poster on the caf.
Exactly. Plus most of them don't cost a fortune. You can get most of them for a few hundred quid if you work for the print media. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the out-of-work managers do it for free.

shamans

Okay but there are pundits who don't talk "banter" or better commentary about a team and are still pretty decent. Despite disagreeing with many of them I think Carraghar, Neville and Liam Roseniior are all pretty decent.

You mentioned recognizable faces. I'd understand if it was Zidane talking dull analysis but we're talking about Paul fecking Merson and Steve McMahon. Does the average fan in 2019 really recognize these famous?

I would understand if it was only for the casual fan but some episodes you see pundits giving actual insight. Ferdinand is another one, he's always trying to go a level deeper than throwing out cliches. This is why it's frustrating seeing bad ones in the mix.

shaky

Even if he gets it wrong, he at least tried to give some insight. Same with Neville. Ever since he's been licking Mourinho's boots I can't stand him and he's often wrong but he tries to give proper insight than just cliches. I don't mind hearing a proper point of view even if I disagree with it.
I don't mind pundits having rubbish opinions, but it really bugs me when they pull some prediction of the future out of their arse and present it as a "matter of fact" thing, as if their opinion on that subject is unquestionably correct.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Not really. Sarris system relies heavily on someone able to control the game from a deep lying midfielder role. Kante is great at many things from defensive midfield, but he's not quite as good as Jorginho can be given the right environment.

What's disappointing is that Chelsea didn't do any due diligence on Sarri it seems. Their best player outside of Hazard was always going to be shafted aside when £50m Jorginho was wanted. If they were going to offer Jorginho and spend the money to bring Sarri in, they needed to bring in the other key cogs to the wheel that Sarri needs.

Kante is in an Alan role if we were to mirror what he's replicating from Napoli but he's not good in attack. These pundits should stop being idiots at over simplifying managers do when they want to embed a certain style of play.
Do you listen to the Totally football show? Almost verbatim, they had the same opinion as well

settembrini

Is Sarri really as tactically limited and strategically inflexible as people here are suggesting?

Hoof the ball

Whenever I watch American analysis and "punditry" on sports like the NBA, NFL, etc, it always comes across as so much more insightful and thoughtful. UK punditry, by comparison, gives me the impression that our retired athletes don't even understand the game they were so good at.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Well, it doesn't seem to be working as it is, does it?

If he doesn't fit in with your system, sell him to us, we'll be looking for a replacement for Matic soon enough.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Well, it doesn't seem to be working as it is, does it?

If he doesn't fit in with your system, sell him to us, we'll be looking for a replacement for Matic soon enough.
Well when he played as a sitting DM for us it went so well that Conte overhauled the entire system.

Playing him as a DM you either tell him to sit back and cover a certain small section of the pitch therefore wasting his engine or tell him to play his usual game and leave gaping gaps in behind, case in point watch Ozil's goal against us in the match that forced Conte's switch, soon as Kante failed to pinch it high up we were toast.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Well when he played as a sitting DM for us it went so well that Conte overhauled the entire system.

Playing him as a DM you either tell him to sit back and cover a certain small section of the pitch therefore wasting his engine or tell him to play his usual game and leave gaping gaps in behind, case in point watch Ozil's goal against us in the match that forced Conte's switch, soon as Kante failed to pinch it high up we were toast.
He didn't do too badly for France in the WC, or Leicester, or for your lot in the following season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He didn't do too badly for France in the WC, or Leicester, or for your lot in the following season.
With us and Leicester he was getting up and down the pitch safe in the knowledge Matic or Drinkwater were ready to sweep up behind him. France fair enough but i'm not saying he's rubbish there just that he can't make full use of his best asset playing there.