Enough with these terrible "pundits" on t.v

Camilo

Even worse are the ex players who, even in the face of well explained rules and experienced referees interpretations, continue to argue their bullshit corner.

Players are almost universally thick as shit and shouldn't be anywhere near a TV studio.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
My biggest bug bear with pundits is most offer nothing original or unique.

This may be unpopular but I'd rather see the fans from fans channels be pundits (obviously not someone like DT, but someone who is capable of forming an opinion of their own, will present it in a articulate manner and is capable of fair analysis, people like Lewis from Chelsea fan channels and i would actually say Troopz if he cut out the Blud/Fam as if you look beyond his lingo he's actually pretty knowledgable and raises excellent points) than the dull pundits repeating the same cliches over and over. The best pundits alongside knowledgable fans could be a masterstroke.
There's actually a show on Channel 4 tonight that has fans discussing the weekly events in football, hosted by Robbie Lyle. On just after midnight.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Punditry is an interesting subject. What is it’s purpose. Is it to entertain and or inform? I rarely here a pundit come out with something that had me thinking “I never thought of that”. They resort to cliches. Those that tried and failed as managers are compromised. The debates on Sky is an interesting concept but the calibre of those debating leaves a lot to be desired. Liam Roseinor I like. Young, articulate and intelligent.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Like I said in the post you quoted, accuracy doesn't matter. It's for the entertainment value of the casual fan. Bring in a recognizable football face and name and let them chat shite about football. No resume or references required. It's a simple formula that's served sports TV commentary for a very long time and it's not going to change just b/c some die hards want "better" commentary about their team.

Their salary is inconsequential with regards to my point about fans. As much as I think I know about football, I would probably be just as bad or worse if I had to talk about it to a televised, worldwide audience. I would rather hear Tim Sherwood's bland commentary than the most knowledgeable poster on the caf.
Why would you do that? So to you the conversation content doesn't matter, but who the speaker is??

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
There are some pundits I don't mind to listen to such as Hargreaves, Jenas, Alex Scott, Carragher, Gary Neville, Shearer and Wright (also some I have forgotten the name of). Some of them may not do the most interesting analysis, but I don't mind listening to them, and some also make good points. There are, however, some pundits I just can't listen to, who don't put any effort in on top of just telling biased borderline lies. If the good ones are kept, and those who are not even trying are discarded it would be a lot better.

settembrini

With us and Leicester he was getting up and down the pitch safe in the knowledge Matic or Drinkwater were ready to sweep up behind him. France fair enough but i'm not saying he's rubbish there just that he can't make full use of his best asset playing there.
So why doesn't Sarri just play him in the position everyone knows he is brilliant in and have Jorginho do the Matic/Drinkwater thing?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So why doesn't Sarri just play him in the position everyone knows he is brilliant in and have Jorginho do the Matic/Drinkwater thing?
Because we don't play a two man midfield and play on the counter.

settembrini

Because we don't play a two man midfield and play on the counter.
But why don't you play a two man midfield when you have at least one player who you know is world class in that system while your current three man midfield doesn't appear to have anybody even close to that level?

The answer just seems to be 'because this is how Sarri plays' which isn't an answer and just makes Sarri sound strategically limited and tactically one dimensional.

lambnchips

Supports
Tottenham
They're trying to appeal to casual viewers so they like characters or faces. But I think thats changing. Jenas and I think Alex Scott are helping.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
But why don't you play a two man midfield when you have at least one player who you know is world class in that system while your current three man midfield doesn't appear to have anybody even close to that level?

The answer just seems to be 'because this is how Sarri plays' which isn't an answer and just makes Sarri sound strategically limited and tactically one dimensional.
Because even forgetting Sarri for a minute we want to transition to a more progressive style of play, regardless of where you put Kante he won't be as effective in a team that average 60-70 percent possession to a team that averages 40-50.

Ripping it up to play on the counter to suit one player no matter how good he is, is the type of short sightness we have been regularly accused of down the years.

It's a similar conundrum to say if hypothetically Ashley Cole was still here when Conte arrived, we wouldn't have got beast mode Cole playing LCB or LWB so we will would have had to identify which of those two he will best suit the system.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Why would you do that? So to you the conversation content doesn't matter, but who the speaker is??
1. I'd wager the most knowledgable poster isn't more knowledgable than a man who has worked in football all his life
2. I'd wager the most knowledgable poster would do a worse job discussing football to a worldwide tv audience than a man who has given hundreds of football-related interviews
3. Dunning-Kruger effect

Nickthepip

I'm surprised anyone even watches the analysis to be honest. You've go to remember it needs to be pitched at the entire audience, all ages, casual football fans etc.

If you're really into football, tactics, formations etc then you should probably tweet Jonathan Wilson or something.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Merse is a huge chelsea fan so the Kante thing really grates on him.
I watch Soccer Saturday sometimes and thommo and charlie nicholas are far too biased i think. I am so glad they arent ever pundits, per se... you just cannot get any level headed Liverpool chat out of Thommo because he gets proper arsey. Charlie Nicholas is the same, still thinks Arsenal are one of the top 2 or 3 in England. Idiots.

One of the worst pundits for me was thierry henry. What an absolutely boring fella to listen to. And Jamie Redknapp. when he is on co comms, he literally repeats what Nev or Tyler said, just re words it.

cyberman

Merse is a huge chelsea fan so the Kante thing really grates on him.
I watch Soccer Saturday sometimes and thommo and charlie nicholas are far too biased i think. I am so glad they arent ever pundits, per se... you just cannot get any level headed Liverpool chat out of Thommo because he gets proper arsey. Charlie Nicholas is the same, still thinks Arsenal are one of the top 2 or 3 in England. Idiots.

One of the worst pundits for me was thierry henry. What an absolutely boring fella to listen to. And Jamie Redknapp. when he is on co comms, he literally repeats what Nev or Tyler said, just re words it.
I really don't understand why people watch Soccer Saturday? They spend 3 of their 6 (!) hours on air talking about week old news or they mention the FA Cup and Cl in passing because they don't have the rights anymore.
Whats to watch?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I really don't understand why people watch Soccer Saturday? They spend 3 of their 6 (!) hours on air talking about week old news or they mention the FA Cup and Cl in passing because they don't have the rights anymore.
Whats to watch?
Watched BT's version yesterday and enjoyed it much more.

cyberman

Watched BT's version yesterday and enjoyed it much more.
They have the rights to everything though and aren't afraid to follow the narrative.. Sky are notorious with how they do this.
Watch SSN when they have the rights to the ashes and its non stop cricket, first 15 is all about the action and analysis and it bleeds out into the rest of the hour. When they don't? It's a few minute analysis with an ex captain and no more.
Sky spent more time on Liverpools game with Bournemouth yesterday then their game with Bayern. All they had was Charlie saying it wasn't a bad result at all.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Whats to watch?
i dont watch it all. i watch from 3pm now (unless we are playing). When i used to watch a lot of it, those 2 were as i said, way too biased

Jeffthered

The quality of Football punditry is, in the main, quite awful. Forget the actual content of what the pundit's are trying to explain, but many (not all..) pundit's are unable to speak very well. And I am not being dismissive or patronising... it's just poor media presentation. You have guests who speak far too quickly.. for example, I genuinely struggle to understand Paul Ince, and they need to explain what some football terms mean, as not everyone knows what '.. they do not have too many players with legs in midfield...' actually means.

Merson I actually do have time for, he says how he observes things, and provides a good banter. I think he also knows his game too, and that's the key. McManaman talks incessantly, when there is no need, because he also knows the game, knows European football and should just relax a little. Alex Scott, the former female Gooner star, provides a good, and much needed balance, but also needs to just calm down... speaks too quickly! Chill...

Stevie Claridge and Chris Sutton are my favourites. Souness can be quite belligerent, but you cannot argue that he is a class act.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
They have the rights to everything though and aren't afraid to follow the narrative.. Sky are notorious with how they do this.
Watch SSN when they have the rights to the ashes and its non stop cricket, first 15 is all about the action and analysis and it bleeds out into the rest of the hour. When they don't? It's a few minute analysis with an ex captain and no more.
Sky spent more time on Liverpools game with Bournemouth yesterday then their game with Bayern. All they had was Charlie saying it wasn't a bad result at all.
BT keep track of what is happening in the foreign leagues as well, which is what I enjoy. They even went to show the Schalke players getting a lambasting off their fans after the game.:lol:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
What is the interview process then? What annual performance reviews are conducted on the pundits by Sky Sports?
Your problem is that you think that they’re employed to provide the viewer with insight.

They’re not.

They’re employed to feed into and provide a consumable product.

Almost all of them do that. Evidenced by the various ‘X pundit is a dick’ threads

OldSchoolManc

I absolutely refuse to watch the ‘analysis’, before and after the games anymore.
Not just because the illegal stream is bobbins, but because it’s just absolute nonsense.

Josh 76

Paul Merson was at it again last night on the debate.
Some of the stuff you wouldnt even hear in the playground.
Saying he not convinced by ole because they got "ripped apart" by PSG, struggled to beat Southampton and only drew against Burnley, and to top if off, he said Arsneal had their moments against Utd in the FA cup.

He said if Utd don't make any signings they will only finish top 3 or 4 next season. I wonder how much time and analysis he put into comming to that conclusion.

Then he says Liverpool did well to get points at Goodison and OT.

I give up on this nut case!

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Warnock calls Red Star Belgrade part timers and plumbers. Then goes on to apologise on twitter by tagging their basketball team.

AFC NimbleThumb

I wonder what makes Stephen Warnick qualified for punditry on Sky Sports? Oh yea he’s a former LFC player.

Punditry & objectivity are dead. I’d have less issue if these media entities were just honest about the biases of their pundits, would save Souness foaming at the mouth whenever Liverpool lose a game.