Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
One thing is clear for me, and that is that Enzo Fernandez is the correct profile of player we should look to sign due to him being strong at operating in the defensive and middle thirds of the pitch as a conduit/conductor to knit it all together in a deep roaming midfielder type of role.

Jude Bellingham isn't that player.

Erik the Red

Tevez, Heinze, Anderson (not much of a peak - didn't see the world class requirement). And Antonio Valencia
Diego Forlan (didn't play his best at United) and Javier Hernandez won three premier league titles between them.

mav_9me

One thing is clear for me, and that is that Enzo Fernandez is the correct profile of player we should look to sign due to him being strong at operating in the defensive and middle thirds of the pitch as a conduit/conductor to knit it all together in a deep roaming midfielder type of role.

Could not agree more.

From my limited viewing and understanding of his play, he can play with Casemiro and instead and that's got to be a huge plus.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
South America.

I might be missing someone but have we ever had world class South Americans in their prime like Martinez and Casemiro? Veron should have been but didn't pan out. Ronaldinho could have been. AdM didn't pan out either.
Messi Lingard spring to mind.

Erik the Red

We definitely need an Enzo Fernandez type player that can dictate play, and Bellingham is not that type of player. Of our current options, Casemiro is predominantly a defensively minded player, and Eriksen is the only one that can dictate play, but is probably a bit weak defensively, and that is why his better position is as the most advanced of three midfield players. He isn't as bad as Pogba in a two, but he looks better in a three. Fred and Mctominay just aren't of the quality we need to be first team starters. Bellingham is a great box to box player, but again, is probably better with two other midfielders behind him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We definitely need an Enzo Fernandez type player that can dictate play, and Bellingham is not that type of player. Of our current options, Casemiro is predominantly a defensively minded player, and Eriksen is the only one that can dictate play, but is probably a bit weak defensively, and that is why his better position is as the most advanced of three midfield players. He isn't as bad as Pogba in a two, but he looks better in a three. Fred and Mctominay just aren't of the quality we need to be first team starters. Bellingham is a great box to box player, but again, is probably better with two other midfielders behind him.
Completely agree, you're spot on imo.

Enzo Fernandez has the art and industry in all phases of play to impact the game in a deep roaming playmaker type of role, which is very important in the game today imo. He's a high volume passer who can progress the ball from a deeper role, aswell as connecting play in the middle and attacking thirds. But it's his ability to operate at a high level in all 3 phases of play that should really appeal to us, especially the defensive and middle thirds, which is extremely important for a coach who wants to build from the back.

Jude Bellingham doesn't have that sort of ability and is a different profile of player who you correctly point to as being best utilised as the most advanced midfielder in a 3 man midfield. It makes no sense for us to sign him, especially for the ridiculous price Dortmund will demand for him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Is he a playmaker or more of an attacking / all action midfielder?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Is he a playmaker or more of an attacking / all action midfielder?
You could say that Enzo is an all-action midfielder because he's sprightly, poses a decent goal-scoring threat and boasts eye-catching defensive traits (that he will learn to maximize with experience), but he's primarily a central midfield playmaker who has a knack for organizing things on the pitch and bears a large influence on the proceedings with his passing (in terms of dictating the tempo, recycling the ball as well as progressive/creative maneuvers).

Shades of a young İlkay Gündogan in his game — who was similarly complete and quickly established himself as one of the foremost central midfielders in club football at Dortmund. From a United-centric vantage point, Enzo could replicate Frenkie de Jong's function as a deep-lying orchestrator who constantly finds pocket of space (minus some of the effortless dribbling), and he's also more versatile so he could play at the base with Casemiro in a 4—2—3—1 or as one of the interiors in a 4—3—3. Another thing to like is his feistiness, which ties in closely with his leadership potential as a midfield maestro in the making. Only 21 years old so the sky is the limit.

Ekeke

South America.

I might be missing someone but have we ever had world class South Americans in their prime like Martinez and Casemiro? Veron should have been but didn't pan out. Ronaldinho could have been. AdM didn't pan out either.
Usually they want to go to Spain instead, or London if going to the premier league, and then the money at City.

We can also offer the money, but not the success. So the top South Americans in their prime are usually looking at different clubs. ETH's previous work with Antony and Lisandro has helped us get them in

MDFC Manager

Usually they want to go to Spain instead, or London if going to the premier league, and then the money at City.

We can also offer the money, but not the success. So the top South Americans in their prime are usually looking at different clubs. ETH's previous work with Antony and Lisandro has helped us get them in
Plus work permit and post brexit means we can't always snap them up young too

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Why aren't we looking at him, he's a very good player much better than our bench midfield options at the moment.

If we are to fight on all front we need players who aren't much of a drop in quality from the first eleven and this guy would be better than having the likes of Donny.

Get him in.

EtH

You could say that Enzo is an all-action midfielder because he's sprightly, poses a decent goal-scoring threat and boasts eye-catching defensive traits (that he will learn to maximize with experience), but he's primarily a central midfield playmaker who has a knack for organizing things on the pitch and bears a large influence on the proceedings with his passing (in terms of dictating the tempo, recycling the ball as well as progressive/creative maneuvers).

Shades of a young İlkay Gündogan in his game — who was similarly complete and quickly established himself as one of the foremost central midfielders in club football at Dortmund. From a United-centric vantage point, Enzo could replicate Frenkie de Jong's function as a deep-lying orchestrator who constantly finds pocket of space (minus some of the effortless dribbling), and he's also more versatile so he could play at the base with Casemiro in a 4—2—3—1 or as one of the interiors in a 4—3—3. Another thing to like is his feistiness, which ties in closely with his leadership potential as a midfield maestro in the making. Only 21 years old so the sky is the limit.
I’m sold. Anything close to a young, pre-injury Gündogan would transform us. Sign him up.

EtH

I'm sold too. You should go and give an ultimatum to Arnold to sign him up
Haha. The Hag knows what the Hag needs. This guy sounds exciting though.

Almost makes me want to watch a World Cup match. Almost.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Young players from South America clearly benefit from moving to Spain/Portugal/(Italy, to a lesser extent) before the EPL, so there is no way United might have been his first choice last year… next year, maybe.

WirralRed

Really hope we are still keeping tabs on this lad, looks the real deal. Seems to be a real lack of this kind of player at the minuet so I’m sure there will be a lot of competition for his signature. Let’s hope Martinez is in his ear and soon Garnacho so he can be tempted.

croadyman

Really hope we are still keeping tabs on this lad, looks the real deal. Seems to be a real lack of this kind of player at the minuet so I’m sure there will be a lot of competition for his signature. Let’s hope Martinez is in his ear and soon Garnacho so he can be tempted.
Yeah agent Lisandro get on the case

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Young players from South America clearly benefit from moving to Spain/Portugal/(Italy, to a lesser extent) before the EPL, so there is no way United might have been his first choice last year… next year, maybe.
Exactly, but easier to use hindsight as a stick to beat our current squad with.

Macedonian Red

Good talent but far from next decade best midfielders: Gavi, Pedri, Tchouameni, Camavinga, Musiala, Foden, Belingham.
I realy hope we can get Belingham. If not, Perez is ok choice.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Good talent but far from next decade best midfielders: Gavi, Pedri, Tchouameni, Camavinga, Musiala, Foden, Belingham.
He’ll be up there with a few of them I bet

croadyman

Clearly Musiala thought he would never get much of a look in for England

SAFMUTD

Except none of the ones you mention besides Bellingham is realistic and even Bellingham would cost 120M+.

I think when you say Perez youre refering to Fernandez, I think he's as you say the best next thing after the obvious worldclass talents. For 40-50M he's a pretty good call.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Thanks for the detailed post. I mean going by this, it's a complete no brainer. Gundogan was one of the most exciting young midfield talents I've seen.

Considering that among the biggest clubs we have the biggest playmaking hole in midfield, it would he surprising then if we weren't interested. Sadly there wasn't much noise last summer.

IFC 1905

Sexo Fernandez being key and undroppable from the team.

IT doens't matter if it's Defensa y justicia, River Plate, Benfica or the Argentina NT.

This kid just goes and conquers.

redom

Seemed to play the metronome for them tonight, just keeping the ball circulating and the pressure on the Poles but also showed an ability to make something happen when needed, very impressive and mature performance for a 21yr old.

MadMike

looks like Madrid is putting themselves in the picture for Enzo
South Americans have such a hard-on for Real & Barca that they would be in pole position. Not that it makes sense for his career though. They have Camavinga, Tchouameni and Valverde as the next gen. And still have Kroos and Modric. Too much competition for any rational person to take on.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I've been really impressed with him in the recent matches. No doubt he is going right to the top.

bosskeano

They got Camavinga and Tchouameni though. And Valverde.
South Americans have such a hard-on for Real & Barca that they would be in pole position. Not that it makes sense for his career though. They have Camavinga, Tchouameni and Valverde as the next gen. And still have Kroos and Modric. Too much competition for any rational person to take on.
Madrid is certainly stocked right now wiht 3 very good CM's along with two ageing stars so adding Enzo wouldn't really be over kill

Makes more sense for a south american to go to Barca or Real straight away simply b/c of the language and it not being a barrier....Enzo hasn't been in Europe very long

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I could see Bayern going all out for him. A midfield of Enzo-Kimmich-Goretzka could be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.