Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's so criminal that 2 more talents we could have signed for peanuts is now costing 100m.

Alvarez and Enzo were 2 diamonds and the potential were well known. Also Playing in a position where we need a player, yet we end up in the same situation.

When it happens repeatedly, it's not an exception. At some point we have to take chances.

croadyman

It's so criminal that 2 more talents we could have signed for peanuts is now costing 100m.

Alvarez and Enzo were 2 diamonds and the potential were well known. Also Playing in a position where we need a player, yet we end up in the same situation.

When it happens repeatedly, it's not an exception. At some point we have to take chances.
Yeah I am confident eventually the penny will drop with these types of talents

ROFLUTION

it is, but maybe we just couldnt match the offer? We’re overall in a slump compared to City and Real Madrid.

Then we also tried our luck with Diallo. Sometimes it’s just not easy if the scouting doesnt match the way into the first squad.

If I was Enzo Fernandes I’d probably be a bit wary of joining us when Casemiro probably sits in front of him in the hierarchy the next 2 years.

Richarlison, for me was a bigger miss, as he’d compete for both striker and wings. If he can do it for Brazil, he could probably do it for us too.

MadMike

Isn't that what we tried to do with Amad Diallo, Pellistri, etc. Didn't quite work out. We've been quite shit at picking youngsters this last decade. Dalot and Martial (barely) are the only ones that vaguely came off. Every other signing under the age of 22 or under has underwhelmed. Including Sancho (for whom the jury admittedly still out, but y'know...)

BarryWinks

Good game, but I honestly dont see any pass or performance in that video that Fred or even McTominay would not be capable of. No pressure on him at all. I’ll reserve full judging of Enzo until he faces a side of high quality.

reminded me of a De Rossi from Roma. Always dropped deep like this and passed it safely sideways.
He's nothing like De Rossi who was a genuine top class defensive midfielder who was also excellent on the ball. This lad looks like a midfield runner to me (granted I haven't seen a full game of him yet on the international or club stage), just watch some highlights.

mav_9me

it is, but maybe we just couldnt match the offer? We’re overall in a slump compared to City and Real Madrid.

Then we also tried our luck with Diallo. Sometimes it’s just not easy if the scouting doesnt match the way into the first squad.

If I was Enzo Fernandes I’d probably be a bit wary of joining us when Casemiro probably sits in front of him in the hierarchy the next 2 years.

Richarlison, for me was a bigger miss, as he’d compete for both striker and wings. If he can do it for Brazil, he could probably do it for us too.
Huh? He could absolutely play with Casemiro. In fact that would be a big attraction.

José Mateus

Supports
Benfica
Playing too deep for Argentina

He plays as a 2nd midfielder for us and tends to spice it up more. That beautiful assist is more the kind of movement I expect from him

Bojan Djordjic

He won't be in competition with Casemiro. He's not really a DM even though he is strong defensively. He's more of a link man and circulator. Eriksen will be the one under pressure but tbh, they will all get plenty of game time. It's probably unsustainable for Eriksen to have the amount of minutes he already has this season and he often looks knackered and flits in and out of games albeit he can be very decisive. Enzo would help us immensely improve our possession game. Both Eriksen and Bruno are high risk high reward passers and neither have great ball retention. Enzo would help us maintain possession and ramp up the offensive pressure. He's also more defensively oriented than Eriksen so would help provide solidity against transitions.

Abraxas

Looks a proper conductor. Not afraid to get on the ball in any situation and seems to back it up with good distribution. Would be a really good signing for us as we're still at the embryonic stages of implementing the type of buildup ETH wants. Would pick up a huge amount of slack currently taken by Eriksen.

jesperjaap

I think we massively missed a trick too with Enzo Fernandez....but, we have signed several young diamonds the last couple of years and none are yet playing for us so its not just a case of us not signing any, we are either getting he wrong ones orjust the size of the club not allowign them opportunities, lets put som eperspective in to the argument of not makign these signings, we are

jesperjaap

WHen with RIcharlison? He has been goign for big fees ever since he came over to England after Watford took a chance on him.

Agree with the sentiment on us takign chances already on players, have to disagree compeltely on Enzo Fernandes though, was his release clause like £10m and he has gone to Benfica.....think we could have matched that and we were heavily linked at one point.

I also think we are the perfect club move for him now. He isnt in competition with Casemeiro, he would be a great partner for him, he has been box to box for Benfica when I have watched them, is very good offensively too. He is also movign to a huge club that is looking to move forward again and would be amongst several SOuth American team mates making it easier for him to settle, we should have signed gim AND Casemeiro....still think it apepars we spent too long chasing DejOng who was obviously never coming. I think £60/70m hed still be the first name Id sign now, Rice is more defensively minded and would be competition rather than the partner for Casemeiro, Bellingham costs a bomb and has already turned us down once. Enzo Fernandes has a very siilar level of potetial to him in my opinion and is probably half the price....yet he doesnt start for the big two in Spain, at City he is prob a longer term signing with the players they already have. I think Bayern, Liverpool and us are probaly his best options in terms of the players already at the clubs and the size of the clubs and he defeinately starts here for me too

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
This guy, Alvarez and Caicedo for a little under £32m less than a year ago is crazy to think about.

Our problem isn't the lack of finding these guys as we were linked with all three, it's just we rarely develop players so when we do buy them they tend to rot, just like Amad, Pellistri and Dalot (who's finally starting to shine).

We need to become an attractive place for young players and that won't happen if we're seen as career suicide, hopefully Ten Hag can sort this out, but the freezing out of Pellistri is slightly worrying.

Ekeke

This guy, Alvarez and Caicedo for a little under £32m less than a year ago is crazy to think about.

Our problem isn't the lack of finding these guys as we were linked with all three, it's just we rarely develop players so when we do buy them they tend to rot, just like Amad, Pellistri and Dalot (who's finally starting to shine).

We need to become an attractive place for young players and that won't happen if we're seen as career suicide, hopefully Ten Hag can sort this out, but the freezing out of Pellistri is slightly worrying.
I disagree completely. I think we choose the wrong ones. Its as much about character as about talent.

For example Caicedo played against us in one of his first games for Brighton last season and already played well, making an impression with his ball winning. Obviously at that point its one game and you dont go overboard on that but he then backed it up with the rest of his performances. My point is thats a big game character going straight in against United at 20 and giving the opponents no respect and stealing the ball off them time and again and making an impact. The likes of Amad and Pellistri dont have that character. But you can see with Garnacho that he does. He gets on the pitch and it doesnt matter who its against he's decided its his moment to shine. And lets be fair, Garnacho is another signing and at this point could make back any losses we have from Pellistri and Amad not delivering in terms of value for what we paid for him.

Martinez and Enzo also have the character. Thats why they have quickly solidified their reputations in europe. Its that same character that would have seen them take their chance if United had signed them and given them a game, unlike DVB for example. So many times he comes in and its just another game where he doesnt have much of an impact. They would have because thats their character.

Glorio

I don't think the issue with a good few of the young "gems" we get is quality (even if I think we probably need to be taking a closer look at their physical attributes), I think it's the opportunity to develop by playing. We've picked poor loans for them in certain cases, and in others, we've just let them waste key development years in the youth teams, or worse, on the bench.

Would any of them have come close to Enzo either way? Well, I don't know, they never got the chance. Thankfully, this season we seem to have gotten it right, so lets see

Black Alabaster

Spot on, but @Glorio is right too it's that we are picking the wrong talents. Pellistri and Amad are both around 5 foot 6 skinny young wingers, highly rated yes but the physical profiles not very athletic or pacey.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...moises-caicedo-as-brighton-keen-on-midfielder

" Independiente Midfielder Moises Caicedo was scouted by Manchester United but Old Trafford club will be focusing on other targets in January; Brighton could move ahead in race to bring 19-year-old midfielder to the Premier League"

We had Caicedo in the bag, even legend Antonio Valencia was in his ear and in the press pushing him to us then we pulled out of the deal because "it became too complex" with intermediaries getting involved. From the Athletic - " United are having some trouble nailing down exactly who has the mandate to act on the teenager’s behalf, United are also conscious of managing the costs that can arise when numerous intermediaries become involved".

The Issue doesn't seem to be our talent ID, lots of ex scouts seem to list players they flagged for us. It seems to be whoever is/was in charge of actually having their vision and the mandate to pull the trigger. It beggars belief that the Caicedo deal for less than £10M in the palm of our hand was too complicated and expensive for Manchester United negotiators, but Brighton Hove Albion were able to see through the fog and secure a deal with whoever was involved. We just seemed to turn our nose up at it and now his value is 7x within a year or so. Why are we not punting a few M every season like Chelsea and even now Arsenal are doing with Edu in charge then loaning these guys out. Our use of loan system has been shambolic too till last few seasons. (Hannibal good example he will be worth a few bob if we decide to flog him for some reason, atleast what we spent)

Enzo Fernandez was being rated on the same level as Alvarez who went straight into City no loan no adjustment, Fernandez could of came here straight away but Benfica are now going to celebrate soon, putting absolutely zero effort into spending £10m or so on him to then 6x or more again aswell. We could of cut out the middlemen on these types of deals very easily and all that money we spend to get them eventually could of gone on so many other areas in the club.

Hopefully Martinez can tap Fernandez up as he would be a top long term conductor alongside Casemiro, south american steel in the middle of the pitch. Caicedo would of been great too but can see Liverpool or Chelsea moving for him as a cheaper Bellingham alternative if Dortmund try to squeeze £100M+ out of him as both their midfields need revamps this summer too so it's likely we get none of them on our budget.

IFC 1905

Since there are no posts about him I'm just gonna say here huw much I love this guy's game.

I fecking love you Enzo.

You can se he just doesn't suffer the pressing, he's amazing to watch.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Spot on, but @Glorio is right too it's that we are picking the wrong talents. Pellistri and Amad are both around 5 foot 6 skinny young wingers, highly rated yes but the physical profiles not very athletic or pacey.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...moises-caicedo-as-brighton-keen-on-midfielder

" Independiente Midfielder Moises Caicedo was scouted by Manchester United but Old Trafford club will be focusing on other targets in January; Brighton could move ahead in race to bring 19-year-old midfielder to the Premier League"

We had Caicedo in the bag, even legend Antonio Valencia was in his ear and in the press pushing him to us then we pulled out of the deal because "it became too complex" with intermediaries getting involved. From the Athletic - " United are having some trouble nailing down exactly who has the mandate to act on the teenager’s behalf, United are also conscious of managing the costs that can arise when numerous intermediaries become involved".

The Issue doesn't seem to be our talent ID, lots of ex scouts seem to list players they flagged for us. It seems to be whoever is/was in charge of actually having their vision and the mandate to pull the trigger. It beggars belief that the Caicedo deal for less than £10M in the palm of our hand was too complicated and expensive for Manchester United negotiators, but Brighton Hove Albion were able to see through the fog and secure a deal with whoever was involved. We just seemed to turn our nose up at it and now his value is 7x within a year or so. Why are we not punting a few M every season like Chelsea and even now Arsenal are doing with Edu in charge then loaning these guys out. Our use of loan system has been shambolic too till last few seasons. (Hannibal good example he will be worth a few bob if we decide to flog him for some reason, atleast what we spent)

Enzo Fernandez was being rated on the same level as Alvarez who went straight into City no loan no adjustment, Fernandez could of came here straight away but Benfica are now going to celebrate soon, putting absolutely zero effort into spending £10m or so on him to then 6x or more again aswell. We could of cut out the middlemen on these types of deals very easily and all that money we spend to get them eventually could of gone on so many other areas in the club.

Hopefully Martinez can tap Fernandez up as he would be a top long term conductor alongside Casemiro, south american steel in the middle of the pitch. Caicedo would of been great too but can see Liverpool or Chelsea moving for him as a cheaper Bellingham alternative if Dortmund try to squeeze £100M+ out of him as both their midfields need revamps this summer too so it's likely we get none of them on our budget.
Yeah I’ve had this same complaint in the Endrick thread. It’s stupid business practice to wait until every prospect you’ve scouted becomes a star at a bigger club, you need to trust your scouts and just take a chance signing these players for cheap. Worst case scenario it goes bad and you are out 10m, but it’s not like you’re guaranteed to have a successful signing for 60m either.

Since there are no posts about him I'm just gonna say here huw much I love this guy's game.

You can se he just doesn't suffer the pressing, he's amazing to watch.
Another 100 pass game tonight. Averaging 95 passes a game for Benfica this season - more than any player in Europe.

He's a genuine conductor/tempo setter. Real physicality and technical ability too. Xavi in Gerrard's body.

Rojofiam

Slowly but surely emerging as my third choice for the #8 role behind FDJ and Bellingham.

Boondog

Amazing player but are we going to just pass the ball back and forth for 90 minutes. :lol:

Bojan Djordjic

Would you include Pellestri in “these types of talents” ?
There's a world of difference between Pellistri and the likes of Endrick, Julian Alvarez, Enzo Fernandez and Caicedo. Endrick has 3 goals scored in 3.4 90s in his age 15 season, Julian Alvarez has 29 goal contributions in 22 games for River Plate in his last two-ish seasons, Enzo Fernandez was the best player in that River team by many estimations and Caicedo was being hailed as a future GOAT Ecuadorean when United were being linked a couple of years ago. They had immense potential. Pellistri was a Diego Forlan tip off and although had played plenty of minutes for a 17/18yr old, had virtually no creative output with only one goal scored.

Notwithstanding Pellistri's relative ordinariness, I don't think we'll actually lose much money on his transfer so it's not really a good stick to beat the strategy of buying young talent with. It can get a bit dicey if you pay over the odds and obviously Endrick would constitute a gamble as you don't know what could happen him as he is *so* young but the likes of Enzo, Alvarez and Caicedo were free shots at the prices they were available.

OmarUnited4ever

There's a world of difference between Pellistri and the likes of Endrick, Julian Alvarez, Enzo Fernandez and Caicedo. Endrick has 3 goals scored in 3.4 90s in his age 15 season, Julian Alvarez has 29 goal contributions in 22 games for River Plate in his last two-ish seasons, Enzo Fernandez was the best player in that River team by many estimations and Caicedo was being hailed as a future GOAT Ecuadorean when United were being linked a couple of years ago. They had immense potential. Pellistri was a Diego Forlan tip off and although had played plenty of minutes for a 17/18yr old, had virtually no creative output with only one goal scored.

Notwithstanding Pellistri's relative ordinariness, I don't think we'll actually lose much money on his transfer so it's not really a good stick to beat the strategy of buying young talent with. It can get a bit dicey if you pay over the odds and obviously Endrick would constitute a gamble as you don't know what could happen him as he is *so* young but the likes of Enzo, Alvarez and Caicedo were free shots at the prices they were available.
I think the difference between Pellistri and the likes of Alvarez is mainly game time and the experience gained from playing a lot of games at senior level in South America, of course Alvarez or Caciedo are probably superior talents, but we know they are superior because they excelled at senior while they young, Pellistri didn't play much of football before signing for United, and his 18 months loan at Alves didn't go as planned

Black Alabaster

Really like this lad. Feel like he is the CM we should be looking to scoop up whilst everyone else is enamoured with Bellingham.

Has impressed this WC could of won it at the death for Argentina and has contributed every time hes' been on the pitch.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Pure class, he was very nervous for the pen but didn't put a foot wrong all game.

I'd take him at United.

Ekeke

Didnt think he was that great, although he certainly had some nice moments. But at 21 his current level is very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.