Enzo Fernández | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

lysglimt

Scout
Oh and the one with the best story of them all - Alex Sabella. For those who haven't heard this story. After the success with Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardilles, Sheffield United also wanted to tap into the south American market. So they signed 23 year old Alex Sabella, but they had their sights on yet another talented Argentinian. A 17 year old midfielder who Boca Juniors wanted £150.000 for. For some reason it didnt happen - there are 2 unofficial explanations why. The first is that the agent wanted a lot of extra money which caused the overall fee to be too much - the second was that it was the military dictatorship that insisted on an extra £150.000 in bribes to allow the player to leave the country. That players name was Diego Armando Maradona.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
We haven't bought a promising South American since Javier Hernandez (Pellestri doesn't count he never plays). Hope we do they are like box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get.
:lol:

Hernandez is Mexican, pretty sure that's north American.

OmarUnited4ever

Has ADM being erased from our collective fans conscious?
ADM, Romero, Rojo, Falcao, Fred, Sanchez, Telles, and Cavani are South Americans the club signed (post SAF era), but they played in Europe for many years before coming to United.

Varela is an example similar to Pellistri, signed as a young talent straight from South America in 2013, from the same club as Pellistri (Penarol).

Garnacho is Argentinian but he was born in Spain and was signed from Atlético Madrid's academy, Pereira is Brazilian but he was born in Belgium and signed from PSV.

I can't recall any other players we signed straight from South America beside Varela and Pellistri (Post SAF era)

Orange Tree

Knew it. Just not the kind of signing we make.

We mostly pay premium for well known players for the first team.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Knew it. Just not the kind of signing we make.

We mostly pay premium for well known players for the first team.
I’m confused, is Enzo supposed to have come in and displaced McFred and made us better? We need better players than this, in a few years he may be at that level, we can then pay top dollar for him, I don’t mind that. We can’t sign everyone. Secondly are we going to cry each time another team signs a CM and say “oh we should have signed him”?

Gandalf

I’m confused, is Enzo supposed to have come in and displaced McFred and made us better? We need better players than this, in a few years he may be at that level, we can then pay top dollar for him, I don’t mind that. We can’t sign everyone. Secondly are we going to cry each time another team signs a CM and say “oh we should have signed him”?
I would imagine so considering we have done exactly that over every transfer completed in the last 3 years.

croadyman

Not with him nope

Orange Tree

No. I just know the link was bullshit.

That said, he is supposed to be a top talent. Signing him would be more exciting then the prospect of watching a midfield of McT and Fred next season.

Mainoldo

Good career move for him. Player development was getting lost with big clubs signing these kind of players at a premium.

Hope he develops and we sign him when he’s ready for a move to a bigger league.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Just the sort of smart signing we'll never do. Watch him go to Atletico in a couple of seasons.

Bojan Djordjic

Just the sort of smart signing we'll never do. Watch him go to Atletico in a couple of seasons.
Yeah, Moises Caicedo another one we were strongly linked to before letting him go to Brighton for peanuts and he ended up dominating our midfield today.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Yeah, Moises Caicedo another one we were strongly linked to before letting him go to Brighton for peanuts and he ended up dominating our midfield today.
Our transfer policy is extremely limited in scope; if they aren't already established 'name brands' we turn our noses up and turn heel.

IFC 1905

He's the most valuable guy in Portugal according to Transfermarkt. And after only 4 months playing there.

I cream with this guy pairing with Casemiro, he could give both Case and Eriksen a rest as he can play both positions and is great offensively and defensively.

This guy is a no brainer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seems like a great Fred replacement

Bojan Djordjic

Would really love if we were just proactive for once and didn't wait until this guy has all the major clubs drooling for him like we did with Camavinga and Tchouameni. He's already incredibly dominant for someone so young and feels like he could be genuinely attainable unlike some of the other hot shot young midfielders like Gavi, Pedro, Bellingham and Valverde.

Ekeke

My 2nd pick after Le Fee to replace Eriksen in the lineup. Caicedo would be 3

Edit - also I suggested we look at him in the Alvarez thread when he was first breaking through and doing well at River

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Diogo Costa only worth 35 m euros??

What sort of list is that :lol: :lol:

Edwards at 25m euros:lol::lol:

Wouldn't read too much into those figures of I'm reading correctly, absolute crap!

Mr PG

I wanted Enzo so bad considering our midfield situation was so dire. We won’t buy any more midfielders for a while …we have more urgent need in other areas now and I believe Hannibal, Kobbie and Zidane Iqbal will be ready next season.

wolvored

Oh and the one with the best story of them all - Alex Sabella. For those who haven't heard this story. After the success with Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardilles, Sheffield United also wanted to tap into the south American market. So they signed 23 year old Alex Sabella, but they had their sights on yet another talented Argentinian. A 17 year old midfielder who Boca Juniors wanted £150.000 for. For some reason it didnt happen - there are 2 unofficial explanations why. The first is that the agent wanted a lot of extra money which caused the overall fee to be too much - the second was that it was the military dictatorship that insisted on an extra £150.000 in bribes to allow the player to leave the country. That players name was Diego Armando Maradona.
Birmingham could have had him as well. They signed his teammate Tarantini. He told them about him, but they couldnt afford 2.

Blood Mage

Our no.8 options are pretty bad. McT, Fred and VDB are crap, so we do need to find a good partner for Casemiro and this guy looks like a great option.

jesperjaap

Weren't we linked with him during the summer before his move?
Heavily yes. I confess to only watchin gyoutube videos of him then, but read a lot about him and what pundits and managers in Argentina were saying about him and he was massively rated. £10m we could have got him for.

I said earlier in the summer we would regret missing out on some of these cheap deals.

Two I said we may well regret were Kamara who went to Villa free. Thought he would take a while to settle, he was doing ok in a poor Villa side but isnt playin now. I still think by the end of the season he will be doign well there.

The other was Enzo Fernandez. Ive a feeling we will be bidding £50m for him and losing out to another side for him in the summer.

As someone else said, he looks the perfect foil for Casemeiro as well

Status
Not open for further replies.