Enzo Fernandez | Chelsea €121m player

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
I’ve only watched him once or twice, but reminds me of Eriksen stylistically. Not as good yet, but he is only young.
At last someone with a correct observation.

He won't be a Premier League record player but a good Premier League player in the mould of Eriksen.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Probably accurate yeah.

Also weirdly being deployed as a pure DM. Potter seems clueless as to how to use some of these guys
Considering he probably never scouted him, probably barely saw him in the world cup, is it any surprise?

mav_9me

I imagine Enzo nexto Casemiro and want to cry. He would've been inch perfect for United.

If Chelsea gets Tuchel back he will improve inmediately.
Me too. He would have been perfect for us for around 60-80m. Sigh.

When Chelsea get a competent manager you will see how good he is.

mu4c_20le

No one put a gun to his head. If he waited until the summer he'd have all of Europe's top clubs lining up for him, but he chose the Potter project, and we'll probably go for Frenkie instead, who Erik loves. Good luck to him.

mav_9me

No one put a gun to his head. If he waited until the summer he'd have all of Europe's top clubs lining up for him, but he chose the Potter project, and we'll probably go for Frenkie instead, who Erik loves. Good luck to him.
Yeah I am surprised he decided to make a stink and leave for Chelsea. He could have still gone to Chelsea in summer but would have looked at all options.

Alexit

I think so too. I really like him. A solid all-round player who will thrive (but not necessarily be a household name) under a good manager.

cyberman

How can you be so confident in this? He must have 25 games tops to judge him on and that’s if you’ve seen every game

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
How can you be so confident in this? He must have 25 games tops to judge him on and that’s if you’ve seen every game
It's obviously impossible. Buying a player just out of a successful world cup only gives you the guarantee that you'll overpay. By 50-60 millions or so in this situation.

demetre

I’ve only watched him once or twice, but reminds me of Eriksen stylistically. Not as good yet, but he is only young.
Eriksen is one of the most creative players in the history of the EPL. I don't see Enzo ever having as many goals or assists as him. He's more Jorginho than Eriksen to me.

mav_9me

I don't think you need to see 25 games to decide on a players talent level. What I saw of him in CL and WC is enough for me.

Time will tell.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't answer for anyone else but when I started hearing about him I was watching Benfica games and even downloaded some River one's he played in.

Funnily enough I may end up watching some of his Defensa y Justicia games soon as I've recently started taking a keen interest in Crespo's managerial career so far (if his current climb up the latter continues I'd say it's inevitable he'll be our manager one day).

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I don't think you need to see 25 games to decide on a players talent level. What I saw of him in CL and WC is enough for me.

Time will tell.
You absolutely do. There's a mile long list of players who looked (very) talented and then totally failed to reach a higher level.

mav_9me

You absolutely do. There's a mile long list of players who looked (very) talented and then totally failed to reach a higher level.
I don't disagree. Talented players can and often fail for multitude of reasons.

My point is I think he is extremely talented. And I back him to succeed. I might be wrong, and obviously I've been wrong many many times before. Just saying what I see now. Time will tell.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I mean ofcourse literally speaking anything can happen, but probability is a thing.

I don't care if he's "only played x amount of games" this obsession that players must be proven in x amount of games in x leagues is what leads to the likes of Lukaku constantly commanding big transfer fees.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Bumping to say that I thought he was excellent vs. Leeds. Going to the 3-4-3 may suit him as he doesn't have to sit deep and provide cover to the same extent if we have a back 4 with the fullbacks pushing up. The balls he kept pinging out to Chilwell were great - and totally disrupted Leeds' high press.

As others have pointed out, he's been asked to do too much defending overall - so as long as Kante is still out, playing an extra CB may be a solution that makes sense. Credit to Fofana especially for his play on the ball.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I mean ofcourse literally speaking anything can happen, but probability is a thing.

I don't care if he's "only played x amount of games" this obsession that players must be proven in x amount of games in x leagues is what leads to the likes of Lukaku constantly commanding big transfer fees.
I think 3-4-3 is the way to go to be honest, it actually (inadvertently or otherwise) makes us better going forward.

Frees James/Chilwell up, let's Fofana make use of his best attribute in possesion (dribbling) and when Gusto gets here will allow us to play him and James at the same time.

It fell apart in recent times because of lack of depth in wingback position meant we had to shoehorn unsuitable players there but with Gusto and (hopefully) Maatsen it becomes less of a problem.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
His range of passing is simply put excellent, give him the midfield protection he needs and he could be the heart beat of a very dynamic midfield.

Still bummed Chelsea got him.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Eriksen is one of the most creative players in the history of the EPL. I don't see Enzo ever having as many goals or assists as him. He's more Jorginho than Eriksen to me.
Over 213 appearances Jorginho 29 goals and assisted another 8. Of the 29 goals a whopping 27 were penalties so discounting the penos he only had 10 goal contributions over 4,5 seasons for us.

Being a lot more defensive-minded player than Eriksen is, chances are Enzo will never get the same numbers as him (Eriksen averages a goal or assist every two games in the PL) but his output sure as feck needs to be a lot more than Jorginho ever had for us. So far the sample size is still quite small but Enzo certainly seems to shoot a lot more than Jorginho and has also tries to play line-breaking passes more frequently as well.

Starting from next season I would think around 10 open play goal contributions (G+A) over a season should be a realistic expectation for Enzo. Scoring or assisting goals is not his main job so if he can otherwise play at a similar level as Jorginho did, while also contributing more towards goalscoring he'll be a great player for us.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Worth every penny, don't care what anyone says - deserves huge plaudits for how fast he's settled and become indispensable.

He's so good and creative on the ball with his range and types of passing that the opposition has to mark him more or less at all times - so restricting his ability to move forward and find space by playing him at the base of a 3 man midfield was definitely suboptimal. Having the extra CB and also moving Havertz deeper into the right sided 10 role has clearly given Enzo more freedom to do as he pleases.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Worth every penny, don't care what anyone says - deserves huge plaudits for how fast he's settled and become indispensable.

He's so good and creative on the ball with his range and types of passing that the opposition has to mark him more or less at all times - so restricting his ability to move forward and find space by playing him at the base of a 3 man midfield was definitely suboptimal. Having the extra CB and also moving Havertz deeper into the right sided 10 role has clearly given Enzo more freedom to do as he pleases.
steady on, he’s been average in 80% of your matches and I would expect a lot for someone who cost a hundred mill.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
The new Verratti, wasting his career into a golden cage with a loooot of £££ to make for an uneventful career.

(pun intended… the kid is good but 2x paid in terms of both fee and wage, when compared to similar profiles)

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
The new Verratti, wasting his career into a golden cage with a loooot of £££ to make for an uneventful career.

(pun intended… the kid is good but 2x paid in terms of both fee and wage, when compared to similar profiles)
For sure, the fee is sickening but I’m very glad we have him. For me I love how he has come in and shown more fight and desire than some of the longer serving squad members. We need more of that right now, the performances will become more consistent with time and at his age I’m sure he will develop into a tremendous player.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Chelsea should slowly build their team around him, the passing range he provides is exceptional.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Which ones out of curiosity?
Tbh apart from today and maybe his debut where he didn’t even do anything special, he’s not looked like a top talent at all. Maybe it’s where he was playing but I didn’t see anything to his locker than stood out. He seemed to do everything decently but nothing that stood out.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Tbh apart from today and maybe his debut where he didn’t even do anything special, he’s not looked like a top talent at all. Maybe it’s where he was playing but I didn’t see anything to his locker than stood out. He seemed to do everything decently but nothing that stood out.
I mean this is categorically incorrect. Why are you commenting on percentages as if you're some sort of authority when you've plainly not watched Chelsea closely of late?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The only game I'd say he's been average in is Tottenham and even that opinion is probably inflated due to his role in Skipp's goal.

I've been very happy with him otherwise and he was one of the few shining lights before this week when we thankfully started winning again.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Forced his way out of Benfica where he would be cruising to a league title and have an opportunity of a lifetime to reach a CL final, only because he was desperate to join a team now in the bottom half in England. The media would be having an absolute field day if this was a United player.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Forced his way out of Benfica where he would be cruising to a league title and have an opportunity of a lifetime to reach a CL final, only because he was desperate to join a team now in the bottom half in England. The media would be having an absolute field day if this was a United player.
Man United and Man United players get more coverage (good and bad) than Chelsea and Chelsea players because there are a ton more fans.