Enzo Fernandez | Chelsea €121m player

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm sure he has no regret that he signed a 100 years contract with Chelsea.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
He was very good in the first half. But then our midfield was non existent and we also gifted them lot of chances. Guess he can be a brilliant player under right setup. He isn't a DM for sure.

Kova , Enzo and a DM can be a good midfield. I ignored Kante because he is injured most of the time.
Kovacic and Kante look like leaving.

twitter thread suggester
He is class on the ball, but a big part of the reason why teams seems to carve through Chelsea. He has really poor positional sense.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He is class on the ball, but a big part of the reason why teams seems to carve through Chelsea. He has really poor positional sense.
This is the opposite of the problem. He has extraordinarily good positional sense but his physical limitations have been left badly exposed continuously by Potter and Lampard's tactics. If he had poor positional sense there wouldn't be half as many highlights of him trying desperately to deal with pacy attackers running directly at him.

It's plain as day we need a physical midfielder to sit next to him to screen him and the back 4.

Shinjch

He would make a good partner for Casemiro, he is at the wrong club.

eselfor

This is the opposite of the problem. He has extraordinarily good positional sense but his physical limitations have been left badly exposed continuously by Potter and Lampard's tactics. If he had poor positional sense there wouldn't be half as many highlights of him trying desperately to deal with pacy attackers running directly at him.

It's plain as day we need a physical midfielder to sit next to him to screen him and the back 4.
So, that's Jorginho without the penalties?

Abraxas

The problem with this one is the fee seems to influence everything about people's thoughts and expectations. A fee is a fee but whether a player is a top player or not is a different question, its less to do with the economics behind a deal which are to do with a selling club, a buying club, market conditions, contractual position. It doesn't really matter what he cost to Chelsea if he reaches the expectation Chelsea have on the sporting side. If he's overpriced by some arbitrary notion on a forum, will they care?

To me he looks a very good player already and potentially a top one. He's not been here long and he'll continue to adapt, and he'll inevitably form part of a better team moving forward which will give him more leeway to shine. How are you going to show your max coming into a team capable of 12th? It's not going to happen.

If you threw prime Pirlo into Chelsea there would be a limit to what he could achieve this season. He wouldn't be putting out every fire, that's not his skillset. What Enzo will give is a baseline of possession, a reliable outlet for defenders, the threat to play long passes. You have to get defensive solidity alongside him but apart from that I think he's a technical maestro. Christ he's already won a WC and put in good performances, what more do you need to understand this guy is good, he's just in a shite team currently. It's a moment in time.

Thiagoal

I personally think he’s got off very lightly given the hefty fee he was signed for. For such a fee, I’d expect regular world class performances and him to be dominating the middle of the park pretty much every game. The reality is that barring some good passing he has looked well out of depth in the Premier League. Chelsea have to continue playing him now due to the fee and had better pray he comes good. I have my doubts due to his physical limitations- he’s been no more effective than Eriksen has for us.

Good news is that he’s still young and some players take a while to settle into a new league!

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
If this Ugarte fella signs id like to see how Enzo plays alongside him, as the former is a ball winning midfielder . might allow enzo to play higher up

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The fee was exorbitant but he has largely looked class despite being thrown into the middle of a completely dysfunctional mess.

I don't think he is a lone DM but nobody is going to look good defensively in that position in a team that keeps losing the ball and getting caught out. Players like Rodri and Busquets would look awful in this situation too.

Matthew84!

If he was putting those performances in for Utd after costing that much, he'd be ripped to shreads every week but as he's playing for another team, its oh he looks class its just his team mates are letting him down.

lex talionis

Enzo is a quality footballer, but he's at a club in shambles. And to be honest, I don't see Poch restoring Chelsea to any kind of glory before his inevitable sacking. Enzo will have to move on, possibly to City in 1-2 seasons.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
If this Ugarte fella signs id like to see how Enzo plays alongside him, as the former is a ball winning midfielder . might allow enzo to play higher up
I think Ugarte signing makes zero sense.

Ugarte and Enzo have very similar roles. If you spend 120M it makes no sense to get a very similar player in Ugarte.

Ugarte is more of a ball winner then Enzo but Enzo is also not good enough of a creator to play higher up.

Chelsea have no idea what they are doing.

RoyH1

Ugarte and Enzo have very similar roles. If you spend 120M it makes no sense to get a very similar player in Ugarte.

Ugarte is more of a ball winner then Enzo but Enzo is also not good enough of a creator to play higher up.

But what about the vaunted analytics team that Boehly was bringing in that was going to change the sport completely?

lex talionis

He has like a 8 year contract and it’s not as if Chelsea can be bullied financially.
I didn't realize it was for 8 years. It will be interesting to see how long, in the event Chelsea are nowhere near CL qualification, Enzo tolerates his situation. On the other hand, if he's on 250k/week (I can't find a single source for his wages, but it's probably not far off 250k/week) for 8 years that's a pretty decent 12m per year to tolerate whatever shambles Chelsea are in.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
I didn't realize it was for 8 years. It will be interesting to see how long, in the event Chelsea are nowhere near CL qualification, Enzo tolerates his situation. On the other hand, if he's on 250k/week (I can't find a single source for his wages, but it's probably not far off 250k/week) for 8 years that's a pretty decent 12m per year to tolerate whatever shambles Chelsea are in.
He is on 315k/week according to Sportac, third highest after Lukaku and Sterling.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/chelsea-fc/payroll/

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea

If the plan is to play a two man midfield and then have Nkunku as the number 10 who offers very little defensively, Enzo absolutely needs another defensive-minded midfield player alongside him. Enzo as the deep playmaker (similar to Jorginho for us) and his midfield partner playing the ball winner role.

I've no idea what kind of a player Ugarte is so can't really comment whether I'd fancy him for not. My ideal pick to partner Enzo in midfield would be Declan Rice but it looks we've no chance of landing him right now so alternatives will need to be looked at. How would you say Ugarte compares to Rice as a player type?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I am going to quote what I posted in the other thread.

Maybe your idea could work but I feel they are somewhat similar players. I actually agree with you in saying I think Declan Rice would be a better fit next to Enzo. Ugarte is fantastic though and I think he will succeed wherever he goes.

Although I believe Palhinha is the better defender and ball winning player (as shown by his statistics in England this season leading the league) I found it pretty interesting that Ugarte has registered more ball recoveries and completed tackles then palhinha when comparing both of their times at Sporting. He is very good at reading the play and is very aggressive at an attacking the ball which makes a ball handler very nervous. Very brave player who does not shy away from a gritty 50/50 ball.

Although Palhinha is a better passer of the ball Ugarte is clearly better with the ball in his feet and dribbling out of tight spaces. He can bring the ball up better and is more of a defensive B2B where as Palhinha is a pure CDM.

Ugarte is still very young but I would like to see him improve his shooting capabilities more and when compared to Palhinha he is not as much of a threat off of set pieces.

Similarly to Palhinha though he almost plays for 2 in midfield because it feels as though he is everywhere and has a very high workrate. I don’t think he would have any problem with the pace of the EPL and he also showed this at the emirates vs Arsenal when he completed bossed that midfield.

For 45-60M I think he is a great addition to any of the two clubs interested.

https://youtube.com/shorts/NaQYBX2buKg?feature=share

Great videos.

arnie_ni

World class talent. Even managed to look good during Chelsea’s shit show last season. One of very few >100m+ players who will end up looking like money well spent.
He stood out today defo. He'd be class beside case and bruno

whitbyviking

World class talent. Even managed to look good during Chelsea’s shit show last season. One of very few >100m+ players who will end up looking like money well spent.
Looked very good and could even take a step up if/when they sign Caceido

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He looked quality at the WC. I like him - one of those who always has time on the ball.

zaafi

He's such a good passer of the ball, very good defensively and works hard. I really wish we'd be in for him.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Boy what a player, they hit the Jack pot with him.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Get him a partner that doesn’t lose the ball 100 times like Gallagher did that first half (tbf, Conor is NOT a holding midfielder) and he’ll be even better.

Shinjch

He is a class act, the one player I wish we had from their spree.

Andersons Dietician

Should have listened to Ralf and got in for that 20 mil. Looked absolute class. If they can get him a decent partner and just get that team operating he could be some player.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I still don’t understand how he was overlooked until the WC? Are there any other touted midfielders in Portugal billed as this guy was prior to the WC?