Enzo Fernandez | Chelsea €121m player

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Enzo's only been a Chelsea player for a few hours and he's already got a quality chant.

romufc

I knew Reece James was going to be elite before he even kicked a ball in men's football.

Madrid are paying through the nose for Endrick who's played what, around ten first team games?

Sometimes it's just obvious.
Reece James has being playing very well for last 2/3 years.

Endrick is 17 and is touted as the next big thing.

When did you hear about Enzo? when he is 22. There is a difference, the players you name are / expect to be elite at 22.

At 22, Enzo is not an elite player.

Real Name

Is he a new James Rodriguez.

Good world cup no doubt raised his price but then again it wasnt so good that his price went up 10 fold. Its part Benfica naming a crazy price not thinking anyone would be insane to pay it.
In comes Chelsea.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
And it evidently wasn't ovious with Enzo 6 months ago, since Benfica got him uncontested for ~10 million euros. The massive difference in valuation had to come in the last 6 months when only half a season of portuguese league and world cup happened for him.
I mean, anyone who knows anything about South American football could have told you how good Enzo was.

And Benfica didn't get him uncontested - the process for young South American players to get work permits is far easier in Portugal than it is elsewhere, which is why it's such a springboard.

Reece James has being playing very well for last 2/3 years.

Endrick is 17 and is touted as the next big thing.

When did you hear about Enzo? when he is 22. There is a difference, the players you name are / expect to be elite at 22.

At 22, Enzo is not an elite player.
In fairness, his development got delayed by a year due to COVID and he turned 22 two weeks ago. I take your point but it's still notable he was the best player in Argentina aged 20 and then the best player in Portugal aged 21.

Redlyn

Since he's come to Europe hes won liga player of the month in Sep, Oct, Nov and then best young player at the world cup in December. Hes been great. 100m+ great remains to be seen but certainly he looks class.

BarstoolProphet

Is he a new James Rodriguez.

Good world cup no doubt raised his price but then again it wasnt so good that his price went up 10 fold. Its part Benfica naming a crazy price not thinking anyone would be insane to pay it.
In comes Chelsea.
Don't think he's comparable to James Rodriguez. Pretty much every team could use a midfielder of Enzo's quality and type, the same couldn't be said for James. He will probably be quality for Chelsea, but the price is still insane for a CM like him.

Real Name

Don't think he's comparable to James Rodriguez. Pretty much every team could use a midfielder of Enzo's quality and type, the same couldn't be said for James. He will probably be quality for Chelsea, but the price is still insane for a CM like him.
In the sense James was a big hit after a world cup and Madrid snapped him right away and then in a few years he faded and disappeared.

Cloud7

its insane. These smaller clubs taking the prem of bozos. That Ukrainian player was valued at 9 million Euros last season playing 800 mins of football. So you telling me half a season and hes value gone up 10 fold? Clubs never operated like this. Its pure desperation and teams taking advantage.
PL transfer fees have been ridiculous for a while now, and I include us in that. It must seem surreal to fans of teams in other leagues, especially smaller teams

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Why is Mudryk not on the list ?
Yeah, good question. Inconsistency in reporting deals, there. Some of the names there seem to be including the add-ons, some just seem to be the base figures etc... Mudryk with add-ons would be £62m + £27m = £89m.

Redlyn

Because he only cost £3,75m a year.
No it's because he doesn't make the list. He cost 70m euro. The full guaranteed fee is mentioned regardless of yearly breakdown. Enzo cost 40m upfront but the full fee is mentioned.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, good question. Inconsistency in reporting deals, there. Some of the names there seem to be including the add-ons, some just seem to be the base figures etc... Mudryk with add-ons would be £62m + £27m = £89m.
Sorry which ones appear to include the add-ons? They all look like base fees to me.

And Nunez is missing too...
£64m upfront, rising to £85m potentially.

saik

Because he has cost us £62m so far. If all add-ons are triggered the deal would go up to £88m, but considering what Chelsea would have to win to do that he'd be unlikely to be a flop.
Ah cheers. Didn't know that much of it was add-ons.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

We're not top 3 anymore!
Wow- only VVD on that list has fully justified the fee. Though there’s quite a few bought in the last 18 months for whom it’s too early to tell.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

We're not top 3 anymore!
Thought our very own Pepe cost £72M, but some sites have him down as £70.6M, Fofana just pipping him out the top 10 by £0.1M! :cool:

Add him to the high fee flop list!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Fecking hell, we could have signed him for less than 20m back in the summer. I am sure there has been few reports linking him with us back then.

Lynty

So we're just supposed to forget all about the agent and signing on fees that took Erling Haaland's transfer well over £100m?

TheReligion

Abusive

We're not top 3 anymore!
Some list!

Interestingly Chelsea have several players in that 70+m bracket along side Fofana (Havertz and Kepa spring to mind)

They have the most expensively assembled squad in history.

I assume they are also picking and choosing which add ons to list.

Just Hope

To be honest, it could be argued that outside of the Netherlands and Portugal, very few european leagues look for untapped potential in Argentina.

Regarding the price, nothing surprises me anymore. Welcome to the new normal, where a few rich c*nts ruin everything for everyone else.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sorry which ones appear to include the add-ons? They all look like base fees to me.

£64m upfront, rising to £85m potentially.
Might just be inconsistency in their numbers, then? Pogba was £89m according to Beeb. Lukaku £97.5m etc.

croadyman

Fecking hell, we could have signed him for less than 20m back in the summer. I am sure there has been few reports linking him with us back then.
Wasn't he another of Ralf's tips but yeah sickening we didn't have shrewdness to get it done then

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
PL transfer fees have been ridiculous for a while now, and I include us in that. It must seem surreal to fans of teams in other leagues, especially smaller teams
Many lower league clubs are feeling the affect.

The likes of Norwich, Fulham an Bournemouth can outcompete the rest in the second tier solely by their 'reward' money for going down. Third year in a row two recent PL teams have comfortably got automatics and I can't see the trend being broken anytime soon.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
120m. Very talented player and will take some time to adjust . When was the last time a midfielder from Portugal made an impact in PL ?
Bruno, Neves , Nunes(Jury still out) ?

Stacks

Some list!

Interestingly Chelsea have several players in that 70+m bracket along side Fofana (Havertz and Kepa spring to mind)

They have the most expensively assembled squad in history.

I assume they are also picking and choosing which add ons to list.
To be honest we can't even tall shit to Chelsea. How many of ours in that list have been "great signings"

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
120m. Very talented player and will take some time to adjust . When was the last time a midfielder from Portugal made an impact in PL ?
I think Portuguese league players adapt well to PL, not sure if we can call him as Portuguese player as he barely spent 6 months there.

Players like Ramires, Moutinho, Neves, Bruno have done well. I think success rate from Portuguese league is higher than other leagues (without checking any numbers).

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Actual Portuguese players or just player coming from Portugal? If the latter, Matić came back form Benfica to Chelsea and was a beast.

TsuWave

The Maguire and Antony fees are crazy

Sancho, Lukaku and Pogba I can somewhat understand - even if it didn’t pan out in the end

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I think Portuguese league players adapt well to PL, not sure if we can call him as Portuguese player as he barely spent 6 months there.

Players like Ramires, Moutinho, Neves, Bruno have done well. I think success rate from Portuguese league is higher than other leagues (without checking any numbers).
Actual Portuguese players or just player coming from Portugal? If the latter, Matić came back form Benfica to Chelsea and was a beast.
Yes, looks like it. Matic was almost 26 when he came back. I am just thinking about young players who had to move to England. But in general, Portuguese league is a safe bet for PL clubs.

padzilla

Hipster
That top 10, apart from Van Dijk, is like a cautionary tale of modern football's crazy excess.

Ekeke

So the total fee is obviously very high. But its what £30 million or so up front?

By the time the 5 seasons of extra fees are paid off I doubt he'll be in the top 3 most expensive premier league signings because there will be a bunch of other expensive signings in that time. But we'll have to wait and see on that

For £30 million and then £15 million a season after that for 5 years I can see him being a success. But after 2 or so seasons he's going to have to be outstanding and at the top level of midfielders in this country to justify being at £60 million paid +£15 million more over the next season and onwards. I believe he will do that and then it'll be the last 2 seasons costing £30 million on top of what was already paid that will be the squeeze on his value. At that point even if he's not the most expensive premier league player, a £90-£105 million central midfielder is going to have to be as good as any central midfielder still playing today. So De Bruyne/Kimmich/Casemiro in their prime level.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The Maguire and Antony fees are crazy

Sancho, Lukaku and Pogba I can somewhat understand - even if it didn’t pan out in the end
Lukaku the first one to United I understand, the one to Chelsea is probably the dumbest and most obvious flop of all time