Enzo Fernandez | Chelsea €121m player

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
It is leeway. He’s been bought for 120m and apparently you can’t play him deep or he’ll be dribbled past but when he does push forward he isn’t that very creative.
Its a factor of being in such a poor team but he isn’t walking off the pitch as the 1/2nd best midfielder from the game, you are constantly overrun and your midfield gets bypassed but Enzo isn’t helping in stopping that.
Everybody in your squad should be starting next season from square one, not one player in your side has shown anything to have future sides built around them nor has anyone, even Silva included, has shown any sort of leadership.
He’s just been ok, that’s it.
Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion but I have to say I very much disagree with that. Like the famous saying goes, opinions are like arseholes and everyone's got one.

Let's just leave it at that and see how it goes.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's honestly the only player that been consistently good in the team. I kinda feel sorry for him.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I've been impressed by him more and more each time I see him play.

And I don't see how United fans can take any moral high-ground this season about paying 100m+ for a player who is obviously very good but probably not worth the money paid.
Likewise. He's already a very good player, and the least of Chelsea's problems really.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I've seen him play a few times and I don't understand the hype at all?

He doesn't seem like that much of an upgrade on Jorginho?
Well that is absolute madness. He's comfortably better than Jorginho.

Enzo (PL stats only):

Jorginho (PL stats only):

Enzo is significantly better by every passing metric, especially the adventurous ones (11 long passes completed per 90 is Pirlo-level good). The same is true in basically every defensive stat, as well as every possession stat.

Zed is not dead

So what’s Souness or other pundits take on Enzo?
I’m by no means fan of Pogba but I remember he got a lot of stick very early on because of his price tag and him not delivering an assist or goal every game.
It seems that Enzo can enjoy being only « very good » even if they paid 120m

glasgow 21

Whoa, I would never judge a player new to the league at his age in a few games in a dysfunctional team. Many just want him to fail cause of his price tag that is way too earlier to call at all.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I’m by no means fan of Pogba but I remember he got a lot of stick very early on because of his price tag and him not delivering an assist or goal every game.
Souness seemed to have a very personal agenda against Pogba to be fair. I don't think it was his transfer fee he had an issue with.

Strootman's Finger

Looks a good player with loads of potential. I think his career would have been better served waiting till the summer and coming to United. Playing next to someone like Casemiro, who he can learn from, would be much better than throwing a kid, new to the league, into the heart of midfield and expecting him to run it.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Playing for United makes more noise than playing for Chelsea.

Bashing Chelsea sells as much as bashing Manchester City.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Of all the signings clearlake made he's the only one i'm confident will be a success. Even though the price tag was ridiculous - no midfielder is worth that kind of money

Abraxas

I think he looks a superb player. The one to build this team around. They could build a very good possession team with Fernandez because its really hard to find this profile of player that can be so instrumental, always in the right position to receive the ball, and then has the confidence and technique to actually take it in tough situations and invariably find the right pass. I think he's a big part of the reason why despite being shite, they tend to have reasonable possession and creation in the side and the problem is more in the overall confusion of the team, the lack of coherent gameplan, and no real goalscorers.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Of all the signings clearlake made he's the only one i'm confident will be a success. Even though the price tag was ridiculous - no midfielder is worth that kind of money
Badiashile will turn out good too, and tbf, Fofana has looked good overall

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
He's been a good signing so far, i think you'll probably see an even better version next year, with a short settling in period behind him, and a good coach

Telsim

He'd walk into our midfield. Excellent player. But that fee...

Bwuk

He'd walk into our midfield. Excellent player. But that fee...
No he wouldn't.

Casemiro, Eriksen & Bruno would all start over him.

He's a good player but he's not worth the money Chelsea paid.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No he wouldn't.

I think he would play in our midfield he's excellent, of course, the money is crazy though.
ETH quite obviously does not have his optimal midfield which is why we were after him in the first place and secondly why we'll be in big for a midfielder this summer

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I think he looks a superb player. The one to build this team around. They could build a very good possession team with Fernandez because its really hard to find this profile of player that can be so instrumental, always in the right position to receive the ball, and then has the confidence and technique to actually take it in tough situations and invariably find the right pass. I think he's a big part of the reason why despite being shite, they tend to have reasonable possession and creation in the side and the problem is more in the overall confusion of the team, the lack of coherent gameplan, and no real goalscorers.
ffs is he really Zidane 2.0? :lol: As such, you can’t justify his fee, his wage and his looong contract… otherwise, how much is going to cost the eventual, real Zidane 2.0…€400m?

Mind, I am for that… but then fans will lament only state-owned clubs can afford to assemble world class squads?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Looks like Chelsea’s best player to me tbh. I know that’s not a high bar right now, but I’ve been impressed each time I’ve seen him play. In a functioning team I’m sure he’d look even better.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Looks like Chelsea’s best player to me tbh. I know that’s not a high bar right now, but I’ve been impressed each time I’ve seen him play. In a functioning team I’m sure he’d look even better.
He's only played about 15 games but I'm pretty sure when it's time vote for Chelsea's POTY, Enzo is going to get it.

I personally think they should cancel the vote this year because no-one really deserves but then again Willian won it in 2016 when everyone, including Willian, was utterly fecking shit and we finished 10th but he scored a couple of important freekicks.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Badiashile will turn out good too, and tbf, Fofana has looked good overall
I think they're nothing special honestly. Good players, sure, and Badiashile i believe was a fair price too, unlike Fofana, but really, that's about it. Enzo on the other hand could be something special

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think they're nothing special honestly. Good players, sure, and Badiashile i believe was a fair price too, unlike Fofana, but really, that's about it. Enzo on the other hand could be something special
Bookmarked ;)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t really get the football fan obsession with whether players are overrated or overpriced. All that really matters is whether the player is good enough to help the team they play for achieve its goals. And at teams with ambitions of winning the CL or PL that’s a high bar. This seems to be the case with this lad. See also Antony at United.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Badiashile has impressed me a lot, think he'll be looked back as a very good signing. We could really have used him in the CL against you lot instead of Koulibaly/Cucurella in the first leg and in Chalobah's place in the home leg but sadly he didn't make the cut in the registering phase.

Based on the reports prior to signing I expected Badiashile would be way more raw but our defense has been quite solid with him in it. if we get Colwill signed to a long term contract extension our CB area will be sorted for years to come with Badiashile (22), Fofana (22) and Colwill (20).

zaafi

Absolutely not. Not even close.
Can I ask why?

I think Enzo would bring much more stability and steel to our midfield than Eriksen. Eriksen is finished around the 60th minute mark, and even sooner against the top teams. While Eriksen is more creative, Enzo is more efficient in possession and in his passing. Defensively Enzo is just streets ahead.

cyberman

has looked average in an albeit average team
He hasn’t got the stage to play at Chelsea but he also hasn’t got the body of work to say this isn’t his upper level.
It’s such a weird transfer and they did it twice with Mudryk in the one window. They’re both being judged as if it’s Eriksen joining instead of Pogba on steroids

Spaghetti

Mom's
I’ve not seen a great deal of him, but he seems pretty good from what I’ve watched.

I think we know better than most not to pay to much attention to a price tag. Social media will probably use it to tempt people into comments, but who really cares how much they spent on him? It’s not like they wanted to spend 121m, it’s how much the selling club asks.

Stacks

No he wouldn't.

Hes better than Eriksen and also a better passer than Bruno so would probably force Eriksen to the bench and Bruno further forward. I feel Enzo is the player we have been missing from midfield.

Telsim

No he wouldn't.

He would instantly displace Eriksen from that deeper position as he is better at progressing the ball, better defensively, and will last the full 90 minutes. I can then see Eriksen compete with Bruno for the forward position or become back up.

But this is all academic anyway.

tenpoless

He's good no doubt. But I don't think him performing at a team that is currently 'bad' means that he'll perform better in a 'good' team.
That is simply not the case. Pogba and Januzaj came to mind. Chemistry, manager and all that.

Abraxas

ffs is he really Zidane 2.0? :lol: As such, you can’t justify his fee, his wage and his looong contract… otherwise, how much is going to cost the eventual, real Zidane 2.0…€400m?

Mind, I am for that… but then fans will lament only state-owned clubs can afford to assemble world class squads?
I'm not trying to justify the fee. But the fee is rather incidental to whether he's a good player or not. Ultimately whether you cost 120 million or 20 million a club needs an outcome on it, and in this case the early signs are he's very good.

Besides fees and wages have been crazy for a long time in football, it's nothing that unusual. Until there is some kind of regulation it is going to happen.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think he’s looked like an obviously good player for Argentina and Chelsea, and played as well as you could expect in Chelsea’s situation. But I don’t think he’s played that well, there’s an upper limit to what you can do as an individual when your strikers make terrible runs and your midfield is constantly exposed. So it’s hard to figure out how good he is. He could be worth mega money but I don’t see how anyone could say he’s shown that yet. Equally it’s stupid to write off a player in such bad circumstances.