Enzo Fernandez | Chelsea €121m player

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I'm not trying to justify the fee. But the fee is rather incidental to whether he's a good player or not. Ultimately whether you cost 120 million or 20 million a club needs an outcome on it, and in this case the early signs are he's very good.

Besides fees and wages have been crazy for a long time in football, it's nothing that unusual. Until there is some kind of regulation it is going to happen.
I mean, Enzo is a glorified DM… there is no metric able to justify overpaying 2x or 3x such a role yet.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I mean, Enzo is a glorified DM… there is no metric able to justify overpaying 2x or 3x such a role yet.
He is on his arse. Look at his attacking/creative stats compared to other central midfielders. These are not the stats of a DM, glorified or not. In fact they’re actually incredibly impressive. So would justify a huge fee, considering his age.

God it’s rough being born argumentative. I end up defending fecking Chelsea players…

romufc

He is on his arse. Look at his attacking/creative stats compared to other central midfielders. These are not the stats of a DM, glorified or not. In fact they’re actually incredibly impressive. So would justify a huge fee, considering his age.

God it’s rough being born argumentative. I end up defending fecking Chelsea players…
Its obviously clear that some of the people who comment do not watch the players play. Enzo has looked a class above in most games for Chelsea this season, its unfortunate that their attack is so crap.

We would pay 100m for a player like Enzo, obviously like most 100m signings, he isn't worth that but thats the going rate for such talents now.

He would easily be an upgrade to Eriksen and would slot in alongside Casemiro so well.

STYLOISRED

He has been Chelsea's best player since his debut no doubt and he looks a good player. But I disagree that he walks into our midfield. He may be stronger defensively than Ericksen but what makes Ericksen and Bruno so good is that both players dovetail very well and take up multiple positions. It makes them difficult to mark out of the game. Enzo doesn't seem to me to be the player that can leave his mark on a tightly contested midfield battle. (I have similar criticism of DeJong. )

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Nah, I am spoiled with top midfielders at my club since I was a kid with Lippi at the helm and simply cannot believe the hype… but it’s my problem, so be it and good luck.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

Nah, I am spoiled with top midfielders at my club since I was a kid with Lippi at the helm and simply cannot believe the hype… but it’s my problem, so be it and good luck.

cyberman

I wouldn’t bother mate . This is like the third Chelsea players this week that we’re being told is having a secretly good season. You’d wonder why they’re been the worst team in the league since October 17th.
Over ran every department, thing is you can’t even argue he’s a good AM since they create absolutely feck all in front of goal or through midfield anyway.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
:lol:

HookedOnAPhelan

Clearly a very good player, especially for his age. The fee was exorbitant (though no more ridiculous than the prices quoted for Bellingham and Rice), but I think he'll end up being a good signing for Chelsea, one of the few they've made under the yanks.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah Enzo was never a DM, he's always been a controlling 8 (I've said before Kroos is his best comp if he can ever reach that level).

He's a very good player and one of the only ones that Chelsea managed to hit on (although I think we all knew whoever got him would be happy, his types don't normally flop even if he was overpriced)

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I wouldn’t bother mate . This is like the third Chelsea players this week that we’re being told is having a secretly good season. You’d wonder why they’re been the worst team in the league since October 17th.
Over ran every department, thing is you can’t even argue he’s a good AM since they create absolutely feck all in front of goal or through midfield anyway.
It's funny if you go in any of these new Chelsea players threads you'd see some people arguing how they've been the best part of Chelsea and setting themselves apart. Given how well all these new players are supposedly doing according to some, It's a wonder why Chelsea suck.

I feel like I've read words for words in the Felix thread. "He's been the best part of Chelsea", "his teammates aren't on his level". One would think Chelsea are firing the way some of their players are talked about. :lol:

zaafi

You clearly haven't watched him play. You also forget he was the best young player in the World Cup, being the main man in midfield for Argentina who also won the World Cup? Or does that not matter because they also played Montiel and Otamendi in the final?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If he was playing like this for City, he'd still be overpriced but nobody would doubt his quality

Chelsea's problem(before Lampard) is simple: all their forwards suck big donkey balls

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
You clearly haven't watched him play. You also forget he was the best young player in the World Cup, being the main man in midfield for Argentina who also won the World Cup? Or does that not matter because they also played Montiel and Otamendi in the final?
The big difference is the circus / entertainment / magical thinking value is lost on me completely, when it seems a big part of how football is experienced nowadays. Again, my problem, curling is my perfect sport it seems.

Abraxas

I think this idea of "justifying" a fee is academic more than anything. It's very hard to justify any fee or wage package for footballers if you really want to go down that rabbit hole. It's more of a fan discussion, I think, rather than something the club aim to prove. They just want them to perform and become part of a winning side.

You're right in that this is very extreme but I think ultimately it comes down to whether they are good enough. If our very own Harry Maguire looked like a top CB I don't think anyone would be harping on about the fee. It's mainly when they don't deliver it becomes a stick to beat them with. If he was good would we be squabbling over whether 80 million was justified compared to 50 or 60? I doubt that.

It's very early days to assess this deal as well.

Paddymcc

He looks decent on the ball however out of possession his closing and pressing is awful.

It might be the state of Chelsea at the moment but teams just seem to pass it around him at will.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think this idea of "justifying" a fee is academic more than anything. It's very hard to justify any fee or wage package for footballers if you really want to go down that rabbit hole. It's more of a fan discussion, I think, rather than something the club aim to prove. They just want them to perform and become part of a winning side.

You're right in that this is very extreme but I think ultimately it comes down to whether they are good enough. If our very own Harry Maguire looked like a top CB I don't think anyone would be harping on about the fee. It's mainly when they don't deliver it becomes a stick to beat them with. If he was good would we be squabbling over whether 80 million was justified compared to 50 or 60? I doubt that.

It's very early days to assess this deal as well.
I totally agree. The only time anyone can bring any quantifiable metric into a fee discussion is when assessing the opportunity cost of a transfer. Which in itself is very hard to quantify. If you could say for certainty that player A cost 120m, which represented the majority of a club’s budget, and if they hadn’t bought him they could have signed player X and Y for 60m each, and then point to their relative performance data; then you’d have some basis for justifying or disparaging a fee.

That’s an oversimplification, but outside of that, everything else becomes a subjective fan discussion when it comes to the cost of transfers.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I don’t really get the football fan obsession with whether players are overrated or overpriced.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-pogba-2021-22-performances.464100/post-28875753

‘He was Mourinho’s biggest signing. Also the club’s most expensive signing ever. The focus on his performances in that context was entirely reasonable’

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-pogba-2021-22-performances.464100/post-28876661

‘The price we paid is obviously directly relevant to the performances expected. Always has been, alway will be’

TsuWave

should have waited til the summer - would have had the pick of clubs

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-pogba-2021-22-performances.464100/post-28875753

‘He was Mourinho’s biggest signing. Also the club’s most expensive signing ever. The focus on his performances in that context was entirely reasonable’

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/paul-pogba-2021-22-performances.464100/post-28876661

‘The price we paid is obviously directly relevant to the performances expected. Always has been, alway will be’
Oof. Tough crowd in tonight.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Slam dunk. What Would Pog Do?

TsuWave

But Chelsea were stupid enough to pay that much, so his club had to take it...they all knew it was an overpay and he wasn't that important to the team.
Benfica didn't want to let him go and reportedly resisted as much as they could. He was adamant he wanted to leave.

He’s winning the title next season ;)
No with Lampard at the wheel :smirk:

cyberman

Stupidly petulant imo. I have no idea why he’s being played as a DM, it’s possibly the worst decision Lampard has made there

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
Stupidly petulant imo. I have no idea why he’s being played as a DM, it’s possibly the worst decision Lampard has made there
It's what happens when you constantly have 8-12 first team players injured and sold the only other fit DM in the squad to Arsenal.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We should put in a cheeky bid if Chelsea get relegated next season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He was very good in the first half. But then our midfield was non existent and we also gifted them lot of chances. Guess he can be a brilliant player under right setup. He isn't a DM for sure.

Kova , Enzo and a DM can be a good midfield. I ignored Kante because he is injured most of the time.

Blood Mage

Quality player, sticks out like a sore thumb in that shocking Chelsea side. He'll be important for them when they get their shit together.