EPL Title Race 20/21

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
By the way, did the league punish City with their rescheduling of the Everton game due to City players breaking Covid restrictions that time? City got a wonderful break at the very time every other side in the league was out on their feet and there hasn’t been a peep about it in the media ever since.
Where do you get that City broke COVID restrictions at that time? I don't recall such thing, but maybe I'm wrong.

Giggs' right foot

But that was after the postpone (after googling), and also he never actually was out with Covid I think.
You're right - it wasn't the cause of the postponing. Still...

Whether or not you actually get covid, you're still a cnut if you breach the state-regulated restrictions.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'd just be delighted with the league cup mate. You'd be over the moon with that 12 years ago. Leave the title to the big boys.
I am delighted with just the league cup. The big boys are doing a kinda shit job really though.

Lee565

The premier league may have just shot themselves in the foot big time by making us play 3 games 5 days, they could have potentially had a dramatic last day title decider but that is highly unlikely now with ole having no choice but to heavily rotate the squad this coming week.

It isn't out of the realm of possibility that city could lose to Newcastle away and draw against Brighton away before facing Everton on the last day which is not exactly the most ideal team with a manager like Ancelotti to face on a last day of the season with the title being on the line.

BorisManUtd

The premier league may have just shot themselves in the foot big time by making us play 3 games 5 days, they could have potentially had a dramatic last day title decider but that is highly unlikely now with ole having no choice but to heavily rotate the squad this coming week.

It isn't out of the realm of possibility that city could lose to Newcastle away and draw against Brighton away before facing Everton on the last day which is not exactly the most ideal team with a manager like Ancelotti to face on a last day of the season with the title being on the line.
Everton are the most ideal team to face on a last day of the season with title being on the line. I'd have more belief in Arsenal than Everton to actually get a result atm, they've been disappointing this season, it's been the best season for them to challenge for top 4 the way West Ham are doing atm. In reality they'll probably finish below 7th that gets you place in Conference league.

City won the league at Villa Park when they went down to 10 men and still beat Villa. If they didn't then I think Ole would still try and push for it. And yes Chelsea beat City today but Pep didn't put his strongest 11 (only 4-5 players maybe from their first 11 started the game) and still could've won or at least could have got a point.

croadyman

Dropping 10 points v palace & arsenal killed us
Will write off the Palace home game as we had no pre season at all, however we have dropped so many costly points such as

Everton home - Heartbreaking last second goal
Arsenal home - Bloody penalty
Arsenal away - Didn't have a proper go at a poor team
Sheff Utd home - The worst result of the league
Palace away - Nothing performance
WBA away - Should have kicked on after Bruno equaliser

4/18 points from those games is fecking diabolical, if we could have got just 10/11 from it we are still in there fighting

Honestly believe if we get Cavani in earlier we take more points from these games and Pogba doesn't get injured against Everton when it really looked like had the most momentum behind a league campaign for 8 years, :mad:

Last edited:

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
You're right - it wasn't the cause of the postponing. Still...

Whether or not you actually get covid, you're still a cnut if you breach the state-regulated restrictions.
No one questioned that, Mendy was a cnut obviously.

You didn't answer his question
I asked back whether he knows something I don't but I'm still pretty sure there is no evidence to City breaking COVID restrictions at the time their game was postponed. So I kind of did, right?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

They won't only get one point from Newcastle and Brighton. At worst they'll get 4.

Statue of Limitations

Every team has dropped stupid points, we aren't a special case.

It is still very much on though, City are bound to be distracted by the CL final, psychologically they could be scarred; have been dumped out of the cup by Chelsea, lost at home to them to deny them the PL title and they stand in their way of the most coveted of prizes.
It is possible they crumble looking at who they are to play.

I won't worry too much about the games we underperformed in, as we have on the whole overperformed this season, vs expectations.

Personally I've enjoyed the season a heck of a lot more than any of the previous 7. We are not only playing more attractively, we are putting the points on the board - and we will get more points next year.

croadyman

Every team has dropped stupid points, we aren't a special case.

It is still very much on though, City are bound to be distracted by the CL final, psychologically they could be scarred; have been dumped out of the cup by Chelsea, lost at home to them to deny them the PL title and they stand in their way of the most coveted of prizes.
It is possible they crumble looking at who they are to play.

I won't worry too much about the games we underperformed in, as we have on the whole overperformed this season, vs expectations.

Personally I've enjoyed the season a heck of a lot more than any of the previous 7. We are not only playing more attractively, we are putting the points on the board - and we will get more points next year.
I admire you thinking we will win all 5 games (possible but unlikely) and City drop 7 points against Brighton & Newcastle away plus Everton home (not happening in a million years)

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
For those subtly implying United are about to win the title because City are heading for an unprecedented losing streak, you need to stop. It's not right giving false hope to the masses. It's unfair and just plain wrong.

Stop doing it.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Closing the gap to four points before City play again would be nice. Understandable if it doesn’t happen given the circumstances, though.

Of course you have to expect City to get one win from Newcastle, Brighton and Everton, but when you start messing about like Guardiola has been doing, you run the risk of the old horror movie trope of not finishing off the killer when you had the chance.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I consider United to be favourites for the league next season

marktan

Not a chance unless we sign a good 4 players. We have a good first XI but really poor squad depth in comparison to City and even Chelsea. When Pogba or Rashford get injured we struggle in attack. Likewise we still sometimes struggle breaking down deep defences so need more attacking players.

Probably still a top RW, attacking RB and CDM away from properly challenging.

kidbob

Don't think we'll spend enough money. If we were to get the perfect CB, CM and RW while keeping Cavani and Pogba then I think we could challenge but the fact is that Chelsea and City are going to spend big and improve their already massive squads. Liverpool will likely be a factor too.

thepolice123

Honestly believe if we get Cavani in earlier we take more points from these games and Pogba doesn't get injured against Everton when it really looked like had the most momentum behind a league campaign for 8 years, :mad:
The Pogba injury definitely derailed our season a little. We pretty poor for the whole February and March.

Dr Foo

Closing the gap to four points before City play again would be nice. Understandable if it doesn’t happen given the circumstances, though.

Of course you have to expect City to get one win from Newcastle, Brighton and Everton, but when you start messing about like Guardiola has been doing, you run the risk of the old horror movie trope of not finishing off the killer when you had the chance.
Would be a great feat to do that, our second 11 against Leicester would need to somehow step up from not having played together much, or fluke a win

peridigm

You could say not having a consistent goal threat is what did it. If we'd managed to score just 1 goal in 3 of the (7) 0-0 draws we'd be right there.
Conversely, how many points were dropped by conceding very late goals?
Lets not forget the minimum 2-3 goals that should have been deemed fouls on DDG and Maguire.

I think our position is very indicative of where we are as a team mentally and physically.

croadyman

For those subtly implying United are about to win the title because City are heading for an unprecedented losing streak, you need to stop. It's not right giving false hope to the masses. It's unfair and just plain wrong.

Stop doing it.
Yeah no way do they only take a point from Newcastle, Brighton & Everton

croadyman

There is more chance of a snowball surviving the fires of hell than City throwing this away.

We're playing for second, unfortunately.
Will be a phenomenal effort if we can even push it to Friday considering the opposition this week

Last edited: