EPL Title Race 20/21

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
Sir Alex always said attack wins you games but defense wins you the league. May be this season City’s defense could be the key and the difference that lead you to win it. No one would have predict Stones improvement and watching city‘s defense this season and recently, I think you lot are the most favourite now. The only thing that will stop you is if you lose lot of points from 0-0 or 1-1 draws because you wasted lot of chances couldn’t score a goal which what has been your problem this season
You are spot on about dropping points due to missing good chances... it's been happening all season. Aguero has certainly been a big miss and Jesus is a good player but not clinical in front of goal. It's kinda funny because over the last few years we've scored hundreds of goals with no problem and been let down by the defence... suddenly this season it's the exact opposite...haha!!.

Josh 76

Would love it if Utd won it, but wouldn't mind if City won it, as long as Them feckers don't win title no.20!

manutdrphenomenal

My opinion is that our squad has the potential to win the league. Season is inconsistent and we have many match winners. Rashford. Martial. Pogba. Fernandes. Cavani. Greenwood. If these guys go on a 8-10 games for each like they have in past. We could be in great position.

Additionally, i want to see us get top of table and ahead of team in 2nd. Sometimes that taste brings unity. Momentum. Improvement in mentality. It could be enough. Who’d though that Conte’s chelsea would win the league. But they hit the right tactics and the momentum build up.
Leicester the same. Currently we are in similar position and we seem to keep getting results and people keep predicting a failure, similar to how those teams were.

Lastly i think surely we can’t play as poorly as we did in 1st half of many games and if we play to our best with desire from first minute. We should win many games again as we’ve got through a tough 1st half. On another season, with those performances we would have been way below where we are.

United58

Looks like Liverpool's FA Cup tie with Villa will be off meaning they'll get nigh on two weeks rest before they play us in the league :mad:
They normally struggle after long breaks

Personally I think we're in great form ATM and won't win it; I'd rather City (most likely challengers IMO) take it than Liverpool equal us

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
My opinion is that our squad has the potential to win the league. Season is inconsistent and we have many match winners. Rashford. Martial. Pogba. Fernandes. Cavani. Greenwood. If these guys go on a 8-10 games for each like they have in past. We could be in great position.

Additionally, i want to see us get top of table and ahead of team in 2nd. Sometimes that taste brings unity. Momentum. Improvement in mentality. It could be enough. Who’d though that Conte’s chelsea would win the league. But they hit the right tactics and the momentum build up.
Leicester the same. Currently we are in similar position and we seem to keep getting results and people keep predicting a failure, similar to how those teams were.

Lastly i think surely we can’t play as poorly as we did in 1st half of many games and if we play to our best with desire from first minute. We should win many games again as we’ve got through a tough 1st half. On another season, with those performances we would have been way below where we are.
It has the potential with certain conditions that Bailly can stay fit and be fully trusted as well as Martial can perform the same as last season or better so we don't only rely on Rashford & Bruno to score goals. The problem is that right now Martial is underperforming and there is doubt whether Bailly can stay fit regularly.

markhughes

Honestly we can challenge for the title this year and whatever happens I am thrilled about that, the wildcard in all of this will be COVID, that alone has the power to decimate a team and could play a part this year unfortunately, hopefully it doesn’t make the difference one way or the other.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Unpopular opinion but these two need to play together week in week out are the key (based on current squad) for United to be on the title race this season until the last day. The same with Stones & Dias and also how Liverpool can sort out their centre backs problem. Like what they say, goals wins you games but defense wins you the league.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Who’d though that Conte’s chelsea would win the league.
On the Chelsea forum I reside on Juve fans signed up to tell us we were going to win the league once his appointment was confirmed.

After I did my own research I was equally convinced, I was more taken by surprise by our one under Ancelotti (he only won one in eight with that great Milan team and he made no secret of the fact he was going to prioritize Europe with us aswell).

meamth

Unpopular opinion but these two need to play together week in week out are the key (based on current squad) for United to be on the title race this season until the last day. The same with Stones & Dias and also how Liverpool can sort out their centre backs problem. Like what they say, goals wins you games but defense wins you the league.
:eek:

Look at the size of Maguire's hip and calf! At least twice thicker than Bailly!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Crazy how close it’ll be if City and Spurs win tomorrow.

el3mel

On the Chelsea forum I reside on Juve fans signed up to tell us we were going to win the league once his appointment was confirmed.

After I did my own research I was equally convinced, I was more taken by surprise by our one under Ancelotti (he only won one in eight with that great Milan team and he made no secret of the fact he was going to prioritize Europe with us aswell).
No one was expecting Chelsea to dominate this league title especially when Chelsea started the season in a pretty average way that concluded in a 3-0 loss to Arsenal. After that Conte changes to his 3-4-3 and made the long winning run that sealed him the league and ended the competition. Just no one saw it coming back then really.

Yakuza_devils

We are top of the league with our strikers Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Cavani off form. There is real hope there we can sustain the challenge once they all hit top form.

As of now, I still think City and Liverpool are the favourite.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Unpopular? :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am worried more about City than Liverpool tbh. City hit a fine form. Easily breaking teams and creating chances. And they again spinning a ball around as they did two seasons ago. And their next 5 games are more or less easy.

InfiniteBoredom

I am worried more about City than Liverpool tbh. City hit a fine form. Easily breaking teams and creating chances. And they again spinning a ball around as they did two seasons ago. And their next 5 games are more or less easy.
The scary thing about City is that even if their attack is dogshit on a given day, they would still more likely than not pick up a point due to their defence. 13 goals conceded after 15 games is title winning material.

We have improved a bit on that front given the recent clean sheets against Wolves and Burnley, but 24 conceded at this stage is still pretty bad. Hopefully we have turned a corner and can keep that in at least the low 40s, if we are to challenge.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Next 5 league fixtures for us , liverpool and city:

United: Liv (a), SHU, Arsenal(a), Southampton, Fulham(a)

Liverpool: United, Spurs(a),West ham(a), Brighton, Burnley

City: Palace, WBA(a), SHU, Burnley(a), Fulham

Not the easiest fixtures for us or liverpool while city have the easiest run possible almost. They also have 2 games in hand which if they win both would only put them one point behind us.

MDFC Manager

City and Liverpool are favourites IMO, simply because of pedigree. We're the dark horses but I'll take that.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
City should be favourites at this point, they get overlooked because of the 7-point deficit but it can be brought to 1 point if they win their games in hand which is doable (Villa home and Everton away). They have the most depth and the best defence which is usually a key factor. Then us and Liverpool are probably close in terms of chances, them maybe being a bit more likely due to having more quality overall but with VVD out they've not been the same at all.

To be in a title race at the beginning of January is already a very significant progress or us, as we are also on course for 80+ points which has been rare since Fergie days. Our form since that dreadful Arsenal loss has been great.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't think that's an unpopular opinion per se. I'm sure most people can see they've actually got the makings of a really good partnership. Our problem is Bailly is a walking sick note and is prone to bouts of lunacy.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
City should be favourites at this point, they get overlooked because of the 7-point deficit but it can be brought to 1 point if they win their games in hand which is doable (Villa home and Everton away). They have the most depth and the best defence which is usually a key factor. Then us and Liverpool are probably close in terms of chances, them maybe being a bit more likely due to having more quality overall but with VVD out they've not been the same at all.

To be in a title race at the beginning of January is already a very significant progress or us, as we are also on course for 80+ points which has been rare since Fergie days. Our form since that dreadful Arsenal loss has been great.
City’s games in hand are not easy in the slightest.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don't think that's an unpopular opinion per se. I'm sure most people can see they've actually got the makings of a really good partnership. Our problem is Bailly is a walking sick note and is prone to bouts of lunacy.
I think most people will say Bruno, Rashford or our attackers but in reality it's those two together as pair.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think most people will say Bruno, Rashford or our attackers but in reality it's those two together as pair.
I get what you're saying, both pairs are equally important for different reasons. Rashford and Fernandes don't even have to be playing well to pick up a goal or an assist and Maguire and Bailly have made us look rock solid.

rollingstoned1

Next 5 league fixtures for us , liverpool and city:

United: Liv (a), SHU, Arsenal(a), Southampton, Fulham(a)

Liverpool: United, Spurs(a),West ham(a), Brighton, Burnley

City: Palace, WBA(a), SHU, Burnley(a), Fulham

Not the easiest fixtures for us or liverpool while city have the easiest run possible almost. They also have 2 games in hand which if they win both would only put them one point behind us.
city's games look easier on paper but the chances that they win them all with their recent pile up is quite slim imo. we will almost certainly drop points because ours are more difficult but i don't think they are a lock for 15 points from those.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
city's games look easier on paper but the chances that they win them all with their recent pile up is quite slim imo. we will almost certainly drop points because ours are more difficult but i don't think they are a lock for 15 points from those.
We should be looking for at least 10 points from the next 5 imo

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
City have a dream set of fixtures coming up. I think we have all seen enough by now to know that any club can drop points in any PL game, but if they were to handpick the next 5 it would be pretty close to what they have got. Easy FA Cup draw too to give the players a break in between. They would be hoping for 15 points from those games and may be top by that point. Anything less than 13 points would be a win for us.

February is tough though.

Burnley A
Liverpool A
Spurs H
Arsenal A

With CL fixtures mixed into that it could be an opportunity for us to regain ground and maybe rebuild a lead.

Chief123

If city don’t drop points in their next 4 league games against

leciester
Arsenal
West ham
Man Utd

then might as well just hand them the trophy after our game!

MDFC Manager

leciester
Arsenal
West ham
Man Utd

Let's be honest here, the gap will actually have widened further by the time we face them again.

Chief123

Yeah definitely, will be a sad day in football history if an oil backed club wins the quadruple
Absolutely no chance City will win the champions league. They couldn’t even get close in their prime never mind now.

el3mel

It's over. No way they're losing it from here.

It was fun leading the league as it lasted, what, for 3 weeks only I guess ?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

leciester
Arsenal
West ham
Man Utd

They will win all of those games & we are likely to drop points before their game with us.

It’s over.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Meh, I was annoyed a few weeks ago because it felt like a great chance to win the League this year with City and especially Liverpool struggling with injuries.

Not so annoying right now, current City look a level above. Just not getting my hopes high.

Maybe we should try in the Europa League? Would be a good learning experience and we stand a chance I guess.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Premier League, La Liga and Bundesliga look almost decided at mid season. That's why I find european leagues a bit boring...

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Who is going to stop them in the Champions League
They will stop themselves. Pep always overthinks the CL and does some crazy formation he's never used all season to mess things up. They should continue exactly with this same team he's played for all of January and February then they will have a strong shout at winning it but knowing Pep he probably will try his crazy experiment in a CL game and mess it up.

Nicolarra90

Just play off the top 4 in a one legged game at wembley.

The 38 games league format is dead all across europe.

At least that would give more excitement for the ending.

I'm pissed...

Okey

leciester
Arsenal
West ham
Man Utd

Everton, not Leicester, but yeah, I agree. They're not going to win every game from here though. They haven't dropped points where I thought they would, but drop they will.