EPL Title race 2018/2019

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Momentum in what sense? City have won 14/15 League games on the bounce and turned an -7 point gap into a +1 point gap and have an FA Cup final waiting for them. Hard to argue that ‘Liverpool have all of it”.
Ah right, I guess the city players can wipe the CL defeat from their minds, a CL tie that they were big favourites in. What is it with certain fans discounting games that clearly show their point to be wrong, I remember Pool fans talking about have the best record with Van Dijk in the team only if you look at the league and not the cups, ignoring the 5 losses in the cups they got which would put their record below City.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
City have one difficult game left on paper but I really can see Utd lying down for them to prevent Liverpool winning the title and that's the level of pettiness I aspire to :cool:

Bestietom

We have to beat Everton today and then City and Chelsea to be in with a chance of finishing in top 4. So Liverpool will most probably win the League but this will not be down to us, so we should not throw one game away against our noisy neighbours.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I say this a lot, it seems, but worth reiterating exactly how much of a cock-up Lloris’ was against Liverpool. It was a heinous, disgraceful act, among the worst seen from a goalkeeper in recent seasons. The league would be pretty much done and dusted had it not happened as City’s goal difference and three point cushion (had Liverpool dropped two points that day, which they deserved to) would be almost unassailable at this juncture as you’d trust City to maintain their advantage. I couldn’t see City cough up that lead with four games to go but as it stands now, just one City draw would be enough to hand Liverpool the title.

Infuriating.

Cal?

CR7 fan
We have to beat Everton today and then City and Chelsea to be in with a chance of finishing in top 4. So Liverpool will most probably win the League but this will not be down to us, so we should not throw one game away against our noisy neighbours.
It we beat Everton City and Chelsea we are almost assured a top 4 place.

Beating Everton and Chelsea and losing to City gives us a decent chance of top 4

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Ah right, I guess the city players can wipe the CL defeat from their minds, a CL tie that they were big favourites in. What is it with certain fans discounting games that clearly show their point to be wrong, I remember Pool fans talking about have the best record with Van Dijk in the team only if you look at the league and not the cups, ignoring the 5 losses in the cups they got which would put their record below City.
Isn’t that the entire premise of your argument? Entirely forget the League Cup win, FA Cup Final in waiting, and outstanding league form to edge ahead in the race for one CL tie? It’s a big knock for sure, but we’ve already bounced back with a win. City have plenty of momentum and are 5 wins from a domestic treble. That would be an outstanding season.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Don’t you get it? This lot would rather that fake plastic club bought with oil money rule the league for the next 15 years than let us get our hands on the league this season (never mind any future seasons if/when Baldy fecks off).
I suppose if the roles were reversed Liverpool would pull out all the stops to beat City and help United to the title? Get real!
Remember SlippyG’s brilliant through ball to Drogba at Anfield?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Isn’t that the entire premise of your argument? Entirely forget the League Cup win, FA Cup Final in waiting, and outstanding league form to edge ahead in the race for one CL tie? It’s a big knock for sure, but we’ve already bounced back with a win. City have plenty of momentum and are 5 wins from a domestic treble. That would be an outstanding season.
That is the exact opposite of what I'm doing. City have just gotten knocked out of the CL, but apparently that win 2 months ago in the league cup is what gives them momentum :houllier:

Before the CL games City were my favourites because they were in ridiculously good form, but that loss to Spurs did a killer for their momentum, especially since they were heavy favourites.

Stocar

The league would be pretty much done and dusted had it not happened as City’s goal difference and three point cushion (had Liverpool dropped two points that day, which they deserved to) would be almost unassailable at this juncture as you’d trust City to maintain their advantage.
It's been like that whole season. I've never seen a team getting so much things going their way. This is some voodoo stuff on level of Madrid in Europe. Even crazier, as it has happened over a larger sample of games. They're a proper team, but really shouldn't be this close to City. They also play this bland and rabidly aggressive style of football that I don't like.

Still, I wouldn't mind them if they weren't so ridiculously overrated. They've had so many mediocre games where they've been bailed out, and now apparently they should be favourites against Barcelona, as they're such a difficult match up. Because Barcelona apparently had it tough with United. Same team that Liverpool couldn't create a chance against, with half of their players injured. Liverpool also conceded about twice as much xG vs Porto than Barcelona vs United over two recent ties. Their record this season flatters them, and momentum will turn eventually.

I usually don't bother with fans and media things, but I guess their playing style somehow accentuates the horrible tribalism that is on display all around. A really dislikeable team, at least to me. Still, credit must be given for dedication and fighting spirit they've shown.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's been like that whole season. I've never seen a team getting so much things going their way. This is some voodoo stuff on level of Madrid in Europe. Even crazier, as it has happened over a larger sample of games. They're a proper team, but really shouldn't be this close to City. They also play this bland and rabidly aggressive style of football that I don't like.

Still, I wouldn't mind them if they weren't so ridiculously overrated. They've had so many mediocre games where they've been bailed out, and now apparently they should be favourites against Barcelona, as they're such a difficult match up. Because Barcelona apparently had it tough with United. Same team that Liverpool couldn't create a chance against, with half of their players injured. Liverpool also conceded about twice as much xG vs Porto than Barcelona vs United over two recent ties. Their record this season flatters them, and momentum will turn eventually.

I usually don't bother with fans and media things, but I guess their playing style somehow accentuates the horrible tribalism that is on display all around. A really dislikeable team, at least to me. Still, credit must be given for dedication and fighting spirit they've shown.
You ruined a most beautiful post with that last sentence. But I saved it, just about, by picturing you with tears by the time you got to it. :angel:

Josh 76

I wanted City to win on Wednesday, but now I'm really worried of a hammering.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I wanted City to win on Wednesday, but now I'm really worried of a hammering.
I'm beginning to worry you're having such a shitty season that a draw against City is where it's heading for you lot. :nervous:

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
I feel Palace is the biggest worry left on City's schedule.
We don't have Palace to play. We've got United (a), Burnley (a), Leicester (h), Brighton (a). It's a tough run, that's for sure.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Yay top of the table yet again! :devil:

I'm enjoying it now as this may be the last time this season.

Paul_Scholes18

We don't have Palace to play. We've got United (a), Burnley (a), Leicester (h), Brighton (a). It's a tough run, that's for sure.
4 easy wins right now I think. Unless we manage to raise our game the title is in your bag.

Irwin99

Apart from United there's only fatigue that might affect you against Burnley. The other two should be winnable. Cardiff not getting a point was a bit disappointing though. Hard to see where Liverpool drop any points from here but if you do your job that shouldn't matter.

always_hoping

Burnley away looks the mostly likely fixture to drop points in. Leicester with former Liverpool manager Rodgers will be fired up also. City should win the other two games comfortably. Liverpool will win their remaining games so City can't afford any slip up.

el3mel

Best race I have seen since Moyes season. It hurts after many terrible season, Premier League finally delivers.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Apart from United there's only fatigue that might affect you against Burnley. The other two should be winnable. Cardiff not getting a point was a bit disappointing though. Hard to see where Liverpool drop any points from here but if you do your job that shouldn't matter.
United game will be massive obviously, and looks the hardest game left, especially as it's a derby and you're still hunting top 4. Burnley away is always tricky although they are more or less safe now so maybe that will help us. Leicester at home is fine, although they've certainly been better under Rodgers. Then Brighton last game, hopefully they're somehow safe by then and won't have anything to play for.

We need 4 wins, but it's going to be tough. What a title race.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Maybe United's disaster yesterday came at a bad time for City. Coming from a bad defeat and playing the derby against the noisy neighbors should be enough reasons for about any team to be extra motivated. Only doubt about this is whether United are in any shape to get a boost out of this situation or will fall apart even farther.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Maybe United's disaster yesterday came at a bad time for City. Coming from a bad defeat and playing the derby against the noisy neighbors should be enough reasons for about any team to be extra motivated. Only doubt about this is whether United are in any shape to get a boost out of this situation or will fall apart even farther.
I can't decide if it's a good thing either! The best I am hoping for is that if we're able to get an early goal then maybe the crowd gets on top of United and they fall apart. Really though, it's a derby and United still have top 4 to play for, so I'm expecting them to be bang up for it.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Having the season they’ve had and then somehow screwing up at home to Huddersfield would be peak Liverpool. Despite all evidence pointing to those days being over, I’m not ruling it out.

After that it’s just a case of where Benitez’s loyalties lie. To the Liverpool fans or his own legacy as the best manager of many of their lifetimes.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I can't decide if it's a good thing either! The best I am hoping for is that if we're able to get an early goal then maybe the crowd gets on top of United and they fall apart. Really though, it's a derby and United still have top 4 to play for, so I'm expecting them to be bang up for it.
It would be every Liverpool supporter's wet dream for us to win the league with Everton & United being complicit in our success. Everton thrash United, who in turn get loads of flack, who in turn put in a performance trying to prove everyone wrong by taking points off City..........Alas, it's not to be though. We only managed a draw at OT, but this was when United were still in feel-good-mode with Ole at the wheel. It's all gone very toxic since then, & I doubt very much that'll change by Wednesday night. Wouldn't be surprised to see City go in at half time with at least a 2 goal lead, & then see the game out in 2nd gear. Burnley will be another stroll for you guys. Leicester could cause a few problems, but much will depend how arsed they are on the day. Could be interesting if it goes to the last day with both teams still in contention for the league, especially if Brighton need something from their match against yourselves. Exciting stuff nonetheless.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I am nervous about Wednesday, and it’s easy to overanalyse the Everton result and its potential impact on the derby, but I do keep reminding myself there is a clear gap in ability across the two sides. The gap is 24 points, which for context is more than United’s gap to Newcastle. United do have players that can really hurt you though.

I also think the crowd can have a huge factor on the game. If they come out all guns blazing then it could be a very difficult fixture, if it does become evident in the air that there’s some anti-Liverpool feelings amongst the crowd then it’ll be a much easier game to navigate. City have an excellent record at OT, 5 wins from 7, so fingers crossed it continues!

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool
While us fans talk about our teams doing this or that there is no way united don't come out on Wednesday and give it their all. On the back of a bad defeat and top 4 up for grabs they have to. They are professional footballers and there is no way they are thinking of the title race and nor should they be. Ole should have them focussed on top 4 and nothing else. It's a derby, both will be up for it and both needs points.

Paul_Scholes18

I am nervous about Wednesday, and it’s easy to overanalyse the Everton result and its potential impact on the derby, but I do keep reminding myself there is a clear gap in ability across the two sides. The gap is 24 points, which for context is more than United’s gap to Newcastle. United do have players that can really hurt you though.

I also think the crowd can have a huge factor on the game. If they come out all guns blazing then it could be a very difficult fixture, if it does become evident in the air that there’s some anti-Liverpool feelings amongst the crowd then it’ll be a much easier game to navigate. City have an excellent record at OT, 5 wins from 7, so fingers crossed it continues!
Our players should be up for it. Although our tactics have been poor and we don't have the best fitness either.
I don't think we will score to be honest and you may win it 2-0 I think without it being close.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
It would be every Liverpool supporter's wet dream for us to win the league with Everton & United being complicit in our success. Everton thrash United, who in turn get loads of flack, who in turn put in a performance trying to prove everyone wrong by taking points off City..........Alas, it's not to be though. We only managed a draw at OT, but this was when United were still in feel-good-mode with Ole at the wheel. It's all gone very toxic since then, & I doubt very much that'll change by Wednesday night. Wouldn't be surprised to see City go in at half time with at least a 2 goal lead, & then see the game out in 2nd gear. Burnley will be another stroll for you guys. Leicester could cause a few problems, but much will depend how arsed they are on the day. Could be interesting if it goes to the last day with both teams still in contention for the league, especially if Brighton need something from their match against yourselves. Exciting stuff nonetheless.
It's tough to think too far ahead because the reality is if we don't beat United then the title's over and the last 3 games are irrelevant. I was convinced both of us would drop points all over the place in the run-in with the fixture schedule and the pressure, but it's not happened. It's been an absolutely ridiculous title race.

We've got a decent record at OT lately, but beating them there is a huge ask with everything on the line. And I still find it tough, as a City fan since 1990, to be approaching a derby at OT expecting to win. Times change I guess! Derby days still fill me with absolute dread, and I think they always will.

Josh 76

I have no doubt Utd will give it all. That's not even a question...

If Utd were in top form, had no injuries and had a week off, I would be nervous about the City game.

But Utd are in the worst form possible, knackered, players injured and no confidence at all.

Playing against a City team who have had a extra day rest, full of confidence, knowing a win would virtually win the title and have the opportunity to bring in fresh players.

Doesn't need a genius to work out what will happen.

Obi-Red-Kenobi

Supports
Liverpool
I suppose if the roles were reversed Liverpool would pull out all the stops to beat City and help United to the title? Get real!
Remember SlippyG’s brilliant through ball to Drogba at Anfield?
Yes, and do you also Remember Liverpool beating Blackburn, leading UTD to the league if they won at West Ham? (Dalglish managing Blackburn and all that).

Liverpool are not a small club, and nor are UTD, but some of the small club mentality comments on here are contradicting that train of thought.

If Liverpool had the choice between Everton and UTD winning the league, they’d win the game and let the rest worry.

I can’t imagine any UTD player with any sense of self respect and professionalism wanting to hand the title to the team, who won the league last year. They can’t peddle out the usual ‘best club in the world’ rhetoric, if they are not wanting to even beat the best team in a 5 mile radius.

It makes no sense.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yes, and do you also Remember Liverpool beating Blackburn, leading UTD to the league if they won at West Ham? (Dalglish managing Blackburn and all that).

Liverpool are not a small club, and nor are UTD, but some of the small club mentality comments on here are contradicting that train of thought.

If Liverpool had the choice between Everton and UTD winning the league, they’d win the game and let the rest worry.

I can’t imagine any UTD player with any sense of self respect and professionalism wanting to hand the title to the team, who won the league last year. They can’t say their the best club in the world, that’s always peddled out, if they aren’t even the best in a 5 mile radius.

It makes no sense.
You do realize that United were nowhere near your 18 in 1995 and we all know what Gerrard did in 2010?

Obi-Red-Kenobi

Supports
Liverpool
While us fans talk about our teams doing this or that there is no way united don't come out on Wednesday and give it their all. On the back of a bad defeat and top 4 up for grabs they have to. They are professional footballers and there is no way they are thinking of the title race and nor should they be. Ole should have them focussed on top 4 and nothing else. It's a derby, both will be up for it and both needs points.
This makes absolute sense.

Treble

I can’t imagine any UTD player with any sense of self respect and professionalism wanting to hand the title to the team, who won the league last year. They can’t say their the best club in the world, that’s always peddled out, if they aren’t even the best in a 5 mile radius.

It makes no sense.
Different context though: back then there was a huge gap in the number of titles between Liverpool and United, you thought nobody could over take you. When United were about to win No 19, Gerrard assisted Drogba. Hope that helps.

That said, I expect a professional performance against City, the manager and the players will try to perform well, whether it will be enough for a result is another question. Who knows, it might be enough for a win.

Obi-Red-Kenobi

Supports
Liverpool
You do realize that United were nowhere near your 18 in 1995 and we all know what Gerrard did in 2010?
Ah yes, Gerrard must have done it on purpose. Why would he want to beat Chelsea, who were Liverpools arch rivals at the time.

Facts speak more loudly than opinions my friend, and whatever you say, with whatever tint or angle you choose, Liverpool were professional on the day, and beat Blackburn even though it should have handed UTD the league.

Big teams want to win matches, and UTD will on Wednesday. That’s what makes UTD, Liverpool and the other world renowned teams stand out.

Treble: Come on, let’s be adult here. In the dressing room before the game, I am sure the team talk did not go like this.

Manager: ‘Lets win today boys, take the emotion out, and be professional, do the job’
Players: ‘We could, but it’s going to hand UTD the league’
Manager: Oh, wait a minute, wait...wait....wait....errrr..... wait..... errr
Players: ‘Make your mind up!’
Manager: ‘I’ve got it! UTD aren’t on 18 yet, but they are close, it’s fine, let’s not try to win, so Kenny can win the league.

The response....Liverpool win, and the rest is history.

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ah yes, Gerrard must have done it on purpose. Why would he want to beat Chelsea, who were Liverpools arch rivals at the time.

Facts speak more loudly than opinions my friend, and whatever you say, with whatever tint or angle you choose, Liverpool were professional on the day, and beat Blackburn even though it should have handed UTD the league.

Big teams want to win matches, and UTD will on Wednesday. That’s what makes UTD, Liverpool and the other world renowned teams stand out.
You think Gerrard didn’t do it on purpose? :lol:

Any Liverpool fan should know the United-Liverpool rivalry is only rivaled by Real-Barca, it doesn’t matter if you used to have a rivalry with Chelsea back then, or us having one with Arsena in the late 90s/early 00s, everything pales into insignificance.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
That wasn't the only backpass Gerrard fecked up in his career though. He was sloppy at times and didn't look. I remember one at Highbury, think it was Arsenals last season as they were wearing that dark kit and he passed it to Henry to score. And another to Zidane in the Euro's.

We were still in with an outside chance of top 4 in 2010, I doubt Gerrard would throw away a chance at more CL glory just to screw over Utd.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
What Gerrard did in 2010 is exactly what he did in 2014. He just bottled it against Chelsea both times. Nothing more, nothing less.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You think Gerrard didn’t do it on purpose? :lol:

Any Liverpool fan should know the United-Liverpool rivalry is only rivaled by Real-Barca, it doesn’t matter if you used to have a rivalry with Chelsea back then, or us having one with Arsena in the late 90s/early 00s, everything pales into insignificance.
I think he was a sloppy passer in general and it just happened to hurt us in that way. In retrospect I'm sure he didn't mind.