EPL Title race 2018/2019

JamesO

Supports
Liverpool
Haha sure. The angst is primarily matchgoing fans getting shafted yet again. Surely we can all agree on that? If Liverpool's game had to move then so be it. City's game didn't have to be moved (again).

I have absolutely no time for the CL being prioritised over and above our domestic league either, but that might be more of a discussion.
You're right that the City game didn't need to move, but we all know that TV, and the money that comes from it, controls the fixture lists with no regards given to the fans.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
You're right that the City game didn't need to move, but we all know that TV, and the money that comes from it, controls the fixture lists with no regards given to the fans.
Yea spot on, that's the way it is.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Incredible consistency.

Mad, then, that their two Champions League exits under Guardiola have been against two of the other top 6 clubs.
Definitely. I predicted them to get knocked out by Liverpool last season, but I thought they'd get past Tottenham this season. I definitely didn't think that they'd failed to score in either of those 2 away matches though. Plus they conceded 15 goals in their 6 knockout matches against Monaco, Liverpool and Tottenham during the past 3 seasons, highlighting a defensive frailty in the business end of the competition.

Also if they beat Leicester next week, this will be the second straight season in which they've beaten every other team in the league at least once.

The only other examples in the Premier League era I think of when teams beat everyone else in the league at least once in a season, were Chelsea in 2005/2006 and United in 2010/2011.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Definitely. I predicted them to get knocked out by Liverpool last season, but I thought they'd get past Tottenham this season. I definitely didn't think that they'd failed to score in either of those 2 away matches though. Plus they conceded 15 goals in their 6 knockout matches against Monaco, Liverpool and Tottenham during the past 3 seasons, highlighting a defensive frailty in the business end of the competition.

Also if they beat Leicester next week, this will be the second straight season in which they've beaten every other team in the league at least once.

The only other examples in the Premier League era I think of when teams beat everyone else in the league at least once in a season, were Chelsea in 2005/2006 and United in 2010/2011.
Didn’t we do that under Mourinho last season?

Last edited:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Did we do that under Mourinho last season?
Yes of course. A pretty bad oversight from me there !

I thought that United had also done it in 1999/2000 (IMO an underrated achievement to back up a treble winning season with such a dominant league campaign after mid-season trips to Japan and Brazil), but then I saw that they had 2 draws against Wimbledon.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
I just don't see City winning all their games, will drop points somewhere
I think so as well. Liverpool will take it. They will not slip up again. All other results go their way as well now with Wolves beating Watford and Leicester dropping points at West Ham. Wolves will probably have secured 7th place after next week which will make it an easier game for Liverpool in the last round.

Next week could be a potential slip-up for Liverpool. Newcastle-away can be quite difficult. On the other hand Newcastle is so hit and miss that it might be a walk in the park as well. Since Newcastle don't have much to play for I would not expect Liverpool to drop points there.

Manchester City on the other hand meet Leicester, which is a very dangerous counterattacking side and fighting for it's last chance to make top 7 and in the last game an away-game to Brighton. If Cardiff beats Crystal Palace that will be a very hard last game for City.

I have a feeling City will drop points in one of the two remaining games and that Liverpool won't anymore.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
City: Hunger, desire and class. Just a brilliant team. If they leave Liverpool in 2nd on 97 points that’s absolutely brilliant. Without doubt the best team since United in 09 and hence why they can be the first to retain the title since then. Can’t see how they drop points from here.

Wax Moosnam

Supports
City
I was looking at City's and Liverpool's defences in both halves of the season and found something quite interesting. City's defence in the second half of the season almost mirrors liverpool's in the first half and vice versa.

City

1st half of season: 19 games, 15 GA, 0.79 GA per game, 8 clean sheets
2nd half of season: 17 games, 7 GA, 0.41 GA per game, 11 clean sheets

Liverpool

1st half of season: 19 games, 8 GA, 0.42 GA per game, 12 clean sheets
2nd half of season: 17 games, 12 GA, 0.71 GA per game, 8 clean sheets

City have been brilliant defensively in 2019 especially since Fernandinho has missed quite a few games.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I was looking at City's and Liverpool's defences in both halves of the season and found something quite interesting. City's defence in the second half of the season almost mirrors liverpool's in the first half and vice versa.

City

Liverpool

City have been brilliant defensively in 2019 especially since Fernandinho has missed quite a few games.
That's amazing.

sugar_kane

Am gutted this is going to go down to the wire.

Can’t take the tension anymore.

Hope City get a couple early against Leicester and Brighton and just do the deed as quickly as poss, but I suspect it will be a very tense end to the season.

El Zoido

Just get that feeling that Leicester will get something against City.

PoTMS

Leicester, fecking lie down for City. And then get back up and smash Chelsea.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
They can make Europa League if they win both their games and Wolves slip up at Anfield.
Wowsers so Rodgers does us (and obviously himself) a favour and we return that by beating Wolves. :eek: That's a new twist for me.

AshRK

If liverpool cannot win the league this season they may never win one. 90 plus points, So many dodgy goals, lucky wins and draws, favorable ref decisions.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If liverpool cannot win the league this season they may never win one. 90 plus points, So many dodgy goals, lucky wins and draws, favorable ref decisions.
Why not?

If they stay at this level (or more likely improve their team and bench) they can maintain a standard of getting 90 points per season. It would take one catastrophic season from City for Liverpool to win it then.

BlueHaze

So now it all literally comes down to Monday night. I nervously will be watching that game and if City fail to win I don't think I'll be able to sleep that night and even if I do I'll have nightmares about Klopp with his shambolic fake smile and nasty crooked teeth lifting the title at Shitefield.

God have mercy on our souls if the title ends up at that shit hole. :nervous:

Josh 76

City will win on Monday.
Then the drama will start next Sunday.
Both games on live at the that same time
Liverpool score first, Sky will put up an updated league table of them top, saying Liverpool are '75' mins from being Champions. Then the commentator from the City game will say, the Brighton fans are cheering because their has been a goat at Anfield.
Then City will score, and Wolves fans will cheer and Sky will put and updated PL table up......etc etc. Sky will have a wankfest over this.
But all City need to do is win and shut these Scouse loving media up!

El Zoido

Why not?

If they stay at this level (or more likely improve their team and bench) they can maintain a standard of getting 90 points per season. It would take one catastrophic season from City for Liverpool to win it then.
If we had VAR this season they’d be at least 10 points off where they are now.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
City will win on Monday.
Then the drama will start next Sunday.
Both games on live at the that same time
Liverpool score first, Sky will put up an updated league table of them top, saying Liverpool are '75' mins from being Champions. Then the commentator from the City game will say, the Brighton fans are cheering because their has been a goat at Anfield.
Then City will score, and Wolves fans will cheer and Sky will put and updated PL table up......etc etc. Sky will have a wankfest over this.
But all City need to do is win and shut these Scouse loving media up!
You keep changing your mind Josh, I’m worried about you.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
It stays pretty simple then. We have two games left and we have to win both of them to win the league. Fair play to Liverpool, they found a way to win again.

Usually at the end of a title-winning season, you can point to a few different moments that you can call title-defining. A comeback win, a late goal, a referee's decision, or bit of luck here and there. Even last season when we won the title comfortably, my mind cast back to Sterling's sequence of late winners (especially vs Southampton) that set us on the course to the title.

And that's why this season seems strange to me. Most, but not all, of the title-defining moments seem to have belonged to Liverpool. For the sake of a City title win, let's hope the story of the season ends up focusing on Stones' goal-line clearance vs. Liverpool and Aguero's goal vs. Burnley!

Josh 76

It stays pretty simple then. We have two games left and we have to win both of them to win the league. Fair play to Liverpool, they found a way to win again.

Usually at the end of a title-winning season, you can point to a few different moments that you can call title-defining. A comeback win, a late goal, a referee's decision, or bit of luck here and there. Even last season when we won the title comfortably, my mind cast back to Sterling's sequence of late winners (especially vs Southampton) that set us on the course to the title.

And that's why this season seems strange to me. Most, but not all, of the title-defining moments seem to have belonged to Liverpool. For the sake of a City title win, let's hope the story of the season ends up focusing on Stones' goal-line clearance vs. Liverpool and Aguero's goal vs. Burnley!
Jamie Carragher saying this Origi goal will unsettle Pep. It May have ruined his evening glass of red wine tonight, but don't think it will be on his mind when he is giving his team talk on Monday night. Carragher always gives his thoughts like a fan, and not as a pundit who should know better than this crap.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Jamie Carragher saying this Origi goal will unsettle Pep. It May have ruined his evening glass of red wine tonight, but don't think it will be on his mind when he is giving his team talk on Monday night. Carragher always gives his thoughts like a fan, and not as a pundit who should know better than this crap.
Obviously I would've preferred Newcastle to hang on, but I don't think it alters too much in terms of our mentality on Monday night. A Liverpool win was expected, and a Liverpool win was delivered, regardless of the circumstances of the winner. And it's certainly not the first late Liverpool winner this season.

We have to win, simple as that. If we don't, then it will be because we weren't good enough on the night, not because of Origi's goal today.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Obviously I would've preferred Newcastle to hang on, but I don't think it alters too much in terms of our mentality on Monday night. A Liverpool win was expected, and a Liverpool win was delivered, regardless of the circumstances of the winner. And it's certainly not the first late Liverpool winner this season.

We have to win, simple as that. If we don't, then it will be because we weren't good enough on the night, not because of Origi's goal today.
Are De Bruyne and Fernandinho fit?

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Are De Bruyne and Fernandinho fit?
KDB definitely out. Fernandinho doubtful -- he's the bigger miss of the pair given how dangerous Leicester are on the break.

el3mel

Currently 22 points gap between the top 2 and 3rd position.

The other 4 teams must really be embarrassed with the season they had.

RochaRoja

City

Liverpool

Level on 22 conceded now.

18 games, 14 GA, 0.78 GA per game, 8 clean sheets.