EPL Title race 2018/2019

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The one thing Spurs did well was negotiate to keep Son until after the Utd game. But with Dembele, Wanyama and Dier still injured their midfield will start creaking even with lower level opposition. Hope they beat Chelsea in the cup.

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
spurs have scrored 11 goals in 2 games. but they have a well oganised wolves next. they can be sticky/stubbornto break down.

TheLord

I don't think I have cheered for Arsenal any more than I will for the next match.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Results

I haven't included the top 3 facing each other, i've removed their results/fixtures and only looked at how each club has done against the rest of the league.

The above is a quick table of all the results for Liverpool, City and Tottenham. Their home results are the top table and their away results are the bottom table. What's interesting is the balance of fixtures. City have played lots of easy Home games this season so far and have all the hard ones (except Cardiff) to come. The counter balance being that they've only got 2 relatively tricky away games to go. Tottenham have a pretty similar fixture list to City except they've played more Away games compared to City. Liverpool however have played both tricky and easy fixtures across the board, fairly even fixture list for them.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Before the season started my guess was:
1. City
2. Liverpool
3. Tottenham
4. Manchester United.

Now I'm changing my mind and predicting
1. Liverpool
2. City
3. Tottenham
4. Manchester United

For me Liverpool seem to ride the wave of belief and determination, and with their quality as well as the necessary luck I actually believe they will make it. I think they'll beat City who will be in a position with 'everything' to lose, and I think will crumble making it 7 points. City are still incredibly strong though, and if they beat Liverpool and cut the lead to 1 point I'd favour them. As for Spurs, It's nice to be in the race, and there's still an outside chance things go our way. We usually finish the season stronger, and got players coming back. We would need results against Liverpool and City though, and despite it being far from impossible they are both away games, and right I think they are slightly stronger.
The only explanation is that you're being polite to our hosts in this forum.
Spurs fan. Maybe he couldn't bring himself to mention Arsenal or Chelsea.:lol:
Just giving myself a pat on the back for actually predicting that United could get 4th, although this is far from over.

Anyway, it is definitely a 2 horse race now for the title imo, what are people predicting? I'm still slightly favouring Liverpool although their form is not that impressive now, and their next three games are not auto-wins.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
So I read earlier that City's current points per game is at 2.3, with ours at 2.6.

Even if we drop to 2.2 (which according to what I read is 11 wins from 15) and City increase to 2.5, we'd still win the league by two points (93 points to 91).

Not sure how accurate that is but I'm sure someone can fact check it.

padr81

Supports
Man City
So I read earlier that City's current points per game is at 2.3, with ours at 2.6.

Even if we drop to 2.2 (which according to what I read is 11 wins from 15) and City increase to 2.5, we'd still win the league by two points (93 points to 91).

Not sure how accurate that is but I'm sure someone can fact check it.
Yup, unless you implode tonight its gonna take a specatular dip in form for a race. I just don't see us getting many more then 90 points maximum. If we win every game we're only getting 97. I'd expect us to finish high 80's. 10 wins will see you guys home imho.

cyberman

God damn a win v Burnley would have had us get within single digits of City.
Almost as close to us as they are (after tonight) to Liverpool
City need to be careful with the Arsenal and Chelsea games coming up that they don't get sucked down towards a top 4 race.

safcforever

Supports
Sunderland
I think city will still claw it back.
Liverpool don’t seem to be able to dominate games as well anymore, where as City are still controlling games. It’ll click again for them.

It must be hard for some of the fans on here. Who do you want to win the league? Your derby rivals or the club you’ve battled at the top with for so long

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I think city will still claw it back.
Liverpool don’t seem to be able to dominate games as well anymore, where as City are still controlling games. It’ll click again for them.

It must be hard for some of the fans on here. Who do you want to win the league? Your derby rivals or the club you’ve battled at the top with for so long
I'd love a poll on this; who will win the league.

City doesn't fill me with confidence and their last 3 months or so have been quite suspect with numerous losses from winning positions, they are in all cups, but have had the easiest cup runs with Burton etc. in the semifinal, so that's not really an excuse. I think Liverpool will do it.

AgentP

Come on Spurs! Just 7 points in it. United can actually play a big role in the overall outcome of the title race since we have home games against City and Liverpool. Spurs just need to focus on the league and prioritize it above CL.

CognitiveNeuro

Liverpool fan here...I somehow feel City will narrowly win it. I said it after the City game a couple of weeks ago.

I feel Liverpool made a huge mistake loaning Clyne and not strengthening the defense in this window, even be it a loan deal like with Caulker. Gomez is out for a while yet and TAA as well. As you can see it has a huge effect on the squad against Palace and Leicester. I expect more of the same in the next couple weeks until the starting back 4 comes back. Matip and Lovren always have at least one crucial error a game. Matip played Maguire onside and was responsible for the goal. Have no clue why Liverpool fans rate him so much...even as backup. Liverpool really needed Henderson in the midfield today..Keita was woeful as usual. Was he supposed to be pressing the guy who assisted? Could have been prevented if Clyne played at RB.

An injury to VVD and Salah and its going to be hard.
Also Liverpool are going to drop points at least at OT, Everton and one of Chelsea/Spurs...hope they don't but have a sneaky feeling City is gonna make up the points here.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can't believe liverpool didn't win wow. Especially after being one up so early.

Wonder if this is the first sign of a slip coming.

City have a tough next three in theory. Arsenal, everton away, Chelsea.
If they can come through that lot with no further deficit or even reduce it they have every chance.

Patrick08

Unlredictable, but I can't feel Liverpool getting under pressure as well in the business end of the season. Our fixture at oldtrafford might just be the key.

Josh 76

Fans are so fickle. After one bad result, it's a crisis.
The weird thing is if Liverpool had played Leicester on Tuesday and City played Newcastle on Wednesday, Liverpool fans would be over the moon. But because it was the way it was, City fans are excited to be let off the hook. Rio was right last night,when he said, Its all about mentality!

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
City have just lost to Newcastle but some how the narrative is that we're the ones who are going to fall apart.

I don't think City are winning all of their games between now and May.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Just looking at the fixtures coming up for both sides.

We've got: West Ham (a), Bournemouth (h), Bayern (h) CL, United (a), Watford (h), Everton (a), Burnley (h), Bayern (a) CL.

That takes us to 13th March.

In that same period City play: Arsenal (h), Everton (a), Chelsea (h), FA Cup 5th round (TBD), Schalke (a) CL, Chelsea CC Final, West Ham (a), Bournemouth (a), Watford (h), Schalke (h).

I'd say we're currently at an advantage simply because City play two more games than we do, and against tougher/similar opposition generally. They also have to catch us meaning they don't have any margin for error.

If we could get 7-9 points from our next 3 games I think we'd be in a pretty good position.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
City have just lost to Newcastle but some how the narrative is that we're the ones who are going to fall apart.

Truth is it remains to be seen if the Leicester game was a one off for Liverpool or the start of something. It's massively impressive that the only points up till last night you had dropped were to the teams in the top 6.

City it's obvious now are susceptible to a Newcastle result. Those against Palace and Leicester clearly now weren't just a small blip but a brain fart they're clearly capable of.

Mick321

:lol: Has he deleted it already?

He’s better off doing his talking on the pitch as it was his crap defending that got Newcastle back in the game.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Liverpool fan here...I somehow feel City will narrowly win it. I said it after the City game a couple of weeks ago.

I feel Liverpool made a huge mistake loaning Clyne and not strengthening the defense in this window, even be it a loan deal like with Caulker. Gomez is out for a while yet and TAA as well. As you can see it has a huge effect on the squad against Palace and Leicester. I expect more of the same in the next couple weeks until the starting back 4 comes back. Matip and Lovren always have at least one crucial error a game. Matip played Maguire onside and was responsible for the goal. Have no clue why Liverpool fans rate him so much...even as backup. Liverpool really needed Henderson in the midfield today..Keita was woeful as usual. Was he supposed to be pressing the guy who assisted? Could have been prevented if Clyne played at RB.

An injury to VVD and Salah and its going to be hard.
Also Liverpool are going to drop points at least at OT, Everton and one of Chelsea/Spurs...hope they don't but have a sneaky feeling City is gonna make up the points here.
The Clyne loan made absolutely no sense to me. He played great against us and then hardly sees the field again? Klopp went out of his way to praise him too. And then I watch the game yesterday and Henderson is playing at RB? Clyne and TAA (when healthy) should be rotated in that position. Silly move to send Clyne out on loan...

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

To be fair, you had the chance to make it a 3 game gap and blew it. By beating Leicester you could've afforded to lose 2 games and still be top. Not now. One loss and suddenly even a draw could potentially put them above you. Not beating Leicester was absolutely huge. I still think you'll win the league though.

Josh 76

Liverpool only dropped 6 points in the first half of the season. They have already dropped 5 this second half of the season. Pressure getting to them! :lol:

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool only dropped 6 points in the first half of the season. They have already dropped 5 this second half of the season. Pressure getting to them! :lol:
It's crazy isn't it? How are we even in the top four race? :p

Mike Smalling

Crazy to think, that had we lost to Spurs (which easily could have happened, given the chances they had), they would be 2nd in the table. Obviously a bit of a hypothetical, but just shows how close it is at the top.

Mentally, I think the draw vs. Leicester could be big. Since Liverpool actually had the chance to go clear in the top, it almost feels more like a wasted opportunity than a point gained.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Crazy to think, that had we lost to Spurs (which easily could have happened, given the chances they had), they would be 2nd in the table. Obviously a bit of a hypothetical, but just shows how close it is at the top.

Mentally, I think the draw vs. Leicester could be big. Since Liverpool actually had the chance to go clear in the top, it almost feels more like a wasted opportunity than a point gained.
It's amazing how not losing to a team that beat the other team is considered worse than losing to them.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Welcome to the party Spurs. :D

Looks like playing a day before City to overtake them was a genius stroke. ;)

CognitiveNeuro

The Clyne loan made absolutely no sense to me. He played great against us and then hardly sees the field again? Klopp went out of his way to praise him too. And then I watch the game yesterday and Henderson is playing at RB? Clyne and TAA (when healthy) should be rotated in that position. Silly move to send Clyne out on loan...
I believe somehow the Clyne and Solanke deal was intertwined. I believe that the £19M Liverpool got for Solanke was dependent on Clyne going on loan so it was just a selfish reason for it in the end when the title is on the line. They should have at least gotten a backup during the transfer window. It just speaks volume about the club in general.

I don't get Klopp's reasoning behind phasing out Clyne as well. He was stronger defensively than Gomez at RB (not CB but RB) and definitely Milner/Henderson at RB. He was a good backup to TAA.

Also, now Gomez needs surgery and is going to be out for a longer time so now there is no legit first team RB that is fit at the club. Clubs are going to target that right side with Unknown RB+Lovren....really scary for a team going for the title.

I'm sure Man Utd wouldn't make a mistake like this if they are going for the title.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Think by the end of Feb it'll be fairly clear.

Spurs still aren't in the conversation for me considering they still have to go to Anfield, Stamford Bridge and the Etihad + Kane and Alli are absent for a while yet.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I believe somehow the Clyne and Solanke deal was intertwined. I believe that the £19M Liverpool got for Solanke was dependent on Clyne going on loan so it was just a selfish reason for it in the end when the title is on the line. They should have at least gotten a backup during the transfer window. It just speaks volume about the club in general.

I don't get Klopp's reasoning behind phasing out Clyne as well. He was stronger defensively than Gomez at RB (not CB but RB) and definitely Milner/Henderson at RB. He was a good backup to TAA.

Also, now Gomez needs surgery and is going to be out for a longer time so now there is no legit first team RB that is fit at the club. Clubs are going to target that right side with Unknown RB+Lovren....really scary for a team going for the title.

I'm sure Man Utd wouldn't make a mistake like this if they are going for the title.
It's also easy to forget that before his injury, Clyne was one of the best RB's in the league. TAA only got his chance because of that injury. So I would argue that Clyne may not be back up to TAA, but they could push each other and rotate that starting spot on the right. As for Solanke, I'm not sure how you are tying that in. Do you mean that they said "we will only buy Solanke if you lend us Clyne"? If that's the case, I would just tell them to go F themself. As stated, strange move to loan out Clyne...

CognitiveNeuro

It's also easy to forget that before his injury, Clyne was one of the best RB's in the league. TAA only got his chance because of that injury. So I would argue that Clyne may not be back up to TAA, but they could push each other and rotate that starting spot on the right. As for Solanke, I'm not sure how you are tying that in. Do you mean that they said "we will only buy Solanke if you lend us Clyne"? If that's the case, I would just tell them to go F themself. As stated, strange move to loan out Clyne...
I understand what you mean with the rotation between Clyne and TAA and I agree but for some reason Klopp doesn't believe so. He has frozen Clyne out for a long time before this from being first choice for some reason.

For the second question, that's the only logical explanation for loaning out your only backup RB. It was an assumption.