EPL Title race 2018/2019

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Think Liverpool will drop points to Saints. Think it will come down to how they hold their nerve vs Wolves when in pole position.

City 80 - Liverpool 78 - Gonna have a guess at predicting.

Palace 1-1 City, Saints 1-1 Liverpool - Cty 81, L'pool 80
City 1-1 Spurs, Liverpool 3-1 Chelsea - City 82, L'pool 83
United 1-1 City, Cardiff 0-3 L'pool - City 83, L'pool 86
Burnley 0-2 City, L'pool 4-0 Huddersfield - C 86, L 89
City 2-1 Leicester, Newcastle 0-2 Liverpool - C89, L 92
Brighton 0-3 City, Liverpool 1-1 Wolves -

So final table for me is.
Liverpool / Pts 93 / +66
City / Pts 92 / GD +68
Oh stop it you tease. :p

I think we're going to drop points somewhere. It feels like we're not really in control of games at the moment whereas you've got a handle on every game you play.

The big question is whether or not City win all of their remaining league games. If you drop points in two games I think it might be enough for us.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
One thing I'm wondering.

City fans, if offered the choice between 2nd in the league/guaranteed CL win or just seeing how both of them turn out naturally, which would you pick?

Treble

It's fun to try to predict games but nothing more. Many unpredictable factors like injuries, referee mistakes, freak (and own) goals, deflections play a role.

Stats show that Liverpool are more reliant on running further than and outsprinting the opposition which coupled with fewer options on the bench means that fatigue might play a bigger role in their performances than in City's even though the latter play 2 games more than Liverpool. But the already mentioned unpredictable factors are bound to play an important role, so it's anyone's guess what's going to happen.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Think Liverpool will drop points to Saints. Think it will come down to how they hold their nerve vs Wolves when in pole position.

Liverpool / Pts 93 / +66
City / Pts 92 / GD +68
Barring a load of injuries, you won't drop 6 points.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Liverpool fans: would you be in favor of playing a weakened team in the CL to focus on the league? Might mean the difference in one of those tricky games against physical teams fighting for survival (like Cardiff away).

Badenfutbolfan

Supports
Man city
One thing I'm wondering.

City fans, if offered the choice between 2nd in the league/guaranteed CL win or just seeing how both of them turn out naturally, which would you pick?
losing the Epl it will be very hard to take. But giving the choice between the two, not sure, it wouldn't be as painful if we win the champions league. ok, I take the champions league and the FA cup

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
One thing I'm wondering.

PL is the priority all day long, so based on your question, I'll see how they both turn out naturally!

With our fixture schedule I can't see us winning the remaining 6, so we need Liverpool to drop points somewhere to give us some buffer. If you get through Southampton and Chelsea with 6 points then I think you'll win the league.

hocane

I find it cute that Liverpool fans actually think they have a chance to win the title.

Man City is going to win every single game in the league for the rest of the season.

padr81

Supports
Man City
One thing I'm wondering.

Play out naturally. Maybe its just me but while I'd love to win the CL the prem is the main goal.
Can't be the best team in Europe whilst being the second best in your country. The reason Pep's Barca are remembered as a better side than Zidanes Madrid.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Oh stop it you tease. :p

I think we're going to drop points somewhere. It feels like we're not really in control of games at the moment whereas you've got a handle on every game you play.

The big question is whether or not City win all of their remaining league games. If you drop points in two games I think it might be enough for us.
I think the reason is you are winning ugly. I think we either dominate or it just doesn't happen. It hinges on Palace game if we win that I'll be confident. But I don't fancy us to beat Spurs three times in 2 weeks and I fancy us to draw twice and win one of the Etihad games. OT is always hard but you never quite know which United will turn up. We could very well win all our games but I don't see it.

Hope I'm wrong, tbh even if we didn't win another trophy, the fact we are in such a good position in April in 4 comps is amazing. There could be another shock in there for you guys as well but I'm struggling to see where.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
PL is the priority all day long, so based on your question, I'll see how they both turn out naturally!

With our fixture schedule I can't see us winning the remaining 6, so we need Liverpool to drop points somewhere to give us some buffer. If you get through Southampton and Chelsea with 6 points then I think you'll win the league.
Play out naturally. Maybe its just me but while I'd love to win the CL the prem is the main goal.
Can't be the best team in Europe whilst being the second best in your country. The reason Pep's Barca are remembered as a better side than Zidanes Madrid.
Fair play, and a good point on the importance of winning both. Still, you've a hell of a tough run if you are to win big ears with Spurs, followed by Juve & Barcelona in all likelihood.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Fair play, and a good point on the importance of winning both. Still, you've a hell of a tough run if you are to win big ears with Spurs, followed by Juve & Barcelona in all likelihood.
Yeah, in fairness if you wanna be the best gotta beat the best. We got nice draws in the CC and FA Cup so I'd not complain about that run in the CL (if we get by Spurs). We also got a decent CL group and last 16.

You guys are still in the mix for a huge double too. I think the way you play will make Barca uncomfortable if they play you in the semi's, you won't be faves but it's certainly a possibility you could have a league title and CL final too.

I think 6 of the 8 teams left have a shot at the CL if Spurs keep their nerve, new stadium will be a huge boost for any home CL games they have left. I'd say only Porto and Ajax stand no real chance.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
One thing I'm wondering.

Naturally, be no point otherwise. I'd also rather win the league then the CL

Josh 76

It feels like the team in front is playing under more pressure.
So may be Liverpool losing their lead early in the run in May help them.
City will drop points before Liverpool do, then the pressure is back with Liverpool. I think they may just do it.
That's the day I cancel my sky sports and Wifi :mad:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It feels like the team in front is playing under more pressure.
So may be Liverpool losing their lead early in the run in May help them.
City will drop points before Liverpool do, then the pressure is back with Liverpool. I think they may just do it.
That's the day I cancel my sky sports and Wifi :mad:
I don't see it. City are hitting their stride and the only game I see them dropping points is at Old Trafford (Manchester derbies are so unpredictable). Liverpool are really grinding things out and can see them dropping points on a whim because they are winning games so narrowly.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Liverpool / Pts 93 / +66
City / Pts 92 / GD +68
No way you drop points in 3 consecutive games the way you’re playing now, unfortunately.

Josh 76

I don't see it. City are hitting their stride and the only game I see them dropping points is at Old Trafford (Manchester derbies are so unpredictable). Liverpool are really grinding things out and can see them dropping points on a whim because they are winning games so narrowly.
Hope ýour right.

LFCKop

Supports
Liverpool
If Salah stops being greedy and starts passing when someone else is in a better position then we will win matches.
the way I see problem is that our trio of strikers (especially Salah and to some extent Mane) want to have all the glory thus ignoring the main aim of winning the game. We have been creating chances but this selfishness is hurting us.
I really hope our strikers click into the gear for this final stretch.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Where's the confidence Liverpool & Man City fans? You all scared of jinxing it or genuinely have no cahones?
I think that it's too close to call and no one wants to be cocky and look like a tit if it goes tits up

Paul_Scholes18

I think they both should be confident given how well they play. Could reach CL final against each other too.

I guess City fans should be more confident. They seem to beat everyone so early and easy most of the time.

Stocar

I think Liverpool have a good chance to see this out. Not because they are a better team, but a grittier one, and they're also having one of those seasons where everything falls in place.

Their style is more opportunistic and better suited for this stressful run in. Watch City make a single mistake in a match and immediately get punished, and Liverpool to grind out every 50/50 match.

There are two teams among top 6 that are overachieving significantly less compared to the other four, according to xG table. Those are City and Chelsea, and I think that is due to their playstyle. City's playstyle allowed them to reach level of quality and consistency that wouldn't be possible with a more reactive approach. But it also leaves less margin for error.

Liverpool's style won't work every season, but when it does, it seems that team is being carried by unseen forces. Same happened with Chelsea two seasons ago. That's why they must capitalize on it while it lasts and the energy is still there. I don't see them winning like this next season.

Wessex Saint

Supports
Southampton
I've gone from being optimistic about tonight (which means we tend to lose) to being pessimistic about it this morning thinking Saints 1-3 Pool (which still means we tend to lose!)

But we are playing much better than we were, and have our tails up a bit. And....this is almost a free game for us, as we've got nothing to lose as we aren't expected to win. Having said that, we weren't expected to win vs Spurs nor get anything at OT (which we didn't, but nearly did). Might be an interesting game.

Wessex Saint

Supports
Southampton
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47686709

Please Man City... This article made me cringe so bad.
I really really dislike the way that the Press think that everyone wants Liverpool to win the league, and seemingly are obsessed by them. I have my own reasons why, but don't want to mix politics with football. Save to say, as a neutral (so to speak) in the upper echelons of the Premier League, I want Man City to win. I want them to win everything. That way it demonstrates how ridiculous a situation it is, where the teams that spend the most win everything. It might also show how ridiculous it is preventing other teams outside the big 6 from spending equally big. I often go on about it, how I dislike the way football is now. So few players are brought through academies, instead teams go out and buy. We all do it. Some to a larger extent than others. I would love to see a rule brought in that you had to have 3 or 4 academy players in your starting XI, but realise that that will never happen.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I've gone from being optimistic about tonight (which means we tend to lose) to being pessimistic about it this morning thinking Saints 1-3 Pool (which still means we tend to lose!)

But we are playing much better than we were, and have our tails up a bit. And....this is almost a free game for us, as we've got nothing to lose as we aren't expected to win. Having said that, we weren't expected to win vs Spurs nor get anything at OT (which we didn't, but nearly did). Might be an interesting game.
I'm dreading it. Just wanna have a few pints already to calm down the nerves. It has come this far that I think Southampton away is 10 times more difficult than Porto at home next week.

Good luck anyway, you're playing a lot better recently under Hasenhüttl. I just hope we don't fall behind. A quick goal would obviously be delightful.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Not worried at all about Southampton. Will probably check the result after the match & see we've lost 4-0.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
I really really dislike the way that the Press think that everyone wants Liverpool to win the league, and seemingly are obsessed by them. I have my own reasons why, but don't want to mix politics with football. Save to say, as a neutral (so to speak) in the upper echelons of the Premier League, I want Man City to win. I want them to win everything. That way it demonstrates how ridiculous a situation it is, where the teams that spend the most win everything. It might also show how ridiculous it is preventing other teams outside the big 6 from spending equally big. I often go on about it, how I dislike the way football is now. So few players are brought through academies, instead teams go out and buy. We all do it. Some to a larger extent than others. I would love to see a rule brought in that you had to have 3 or 4 academy players in your starting XI, but realise that that will never happen.
I used Southampton as a prime example of a victim of modern football in a thread a few weeks ago. If football was structured fairly then you'd currently be reaping the rewards of doing everything right. Instead you've had most of your brilliant academy products poached off you and even had your managers poached off you too.

City's route to the top wasn't fair, but it was the only way to do it. And now FFP prevents anyone else doing it.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I used Southampton as a prime example of a victim of modern football in a thread a few weeks ago. If football was structured fairly then you'd currently be reaping the rewards of doing everything right. Instead you've had most of your brilliant academy products poached off you and even had your managers poached off you too.

City's route to the top wasn't fair, but it was the only way to do it. And now FFP prevents anyone else doing it.
True. Supporting a big club & being against big-money takeovers is basically telling all the other clubs to "learn your fecking place & be happy where you are - maybe you'll get lucky & fluke a trophy every 30 years."

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Oh feck off if you and Chelsea hadn't bought your way to the top, plenty of other clubs would have made their way up in a sustainable fashion and won trophies with the other clubs wobbling.

Stop trying to justify the way you made it with 'WELL IT WAS THE ONLY WAY' when it isn't. You and Chelsea doing what you did have made it impossible because even when the traditional big clubs have faltered, you two have been in the way of other clubs.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Oh feck off if you and Chelsea hadn't bought your way to the top, plenty of other clubs would have made their way up in a sustainable fashion and won trophies with the other clubs wobbling.

Stop trying to justify the way you made it with 'WELL IT WAS THE ONLY WAY' when it isn't. You and Chelsea doing what you did have made it impossible because even when the traditional big clubs have faltered, you two have been in the way of other clubs.
Haha thought you'd arrive.

Look forward to your list of low to mid-table clubs that made it to the top in the PL era sustainably pre and post Chelsea and City. Maybe predictions for current low to mid-table clubs that you think will make it to the top sustainably in the next 5 years too while you're at it?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
True. Supporting a big club & being against big-money takeovers is basically telling all the other clubs to "learn your fecking place & be happy where you are - maybe you'll get lucky & fluke a trophy every 30 years."
There's a difference between a big money takeover allowing a club to spend the money they earn (rather than it being run as profit making machine) and a situation like City where you have billions pumped in to the club and dressed up as genuine income. That isn't fair on anybody and makes a mockery of the competition, there's no two ways about it. At the big clubs, money is still limited because they're not ran as a playtoy, they have finances but they still spend sustainably.

City took it to a whole new level of shitting on the competition, they're a farce. Money doesn't mean anything to them.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

:lol:

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
There's a difference between a big money takeover allowing a club to spend the money they earn (rather than it being run as profit making machine) and a situation like City where you have billions pumped in to the club and dressed up as genuine income. That isn't fair on anybody and makes a mockery of the competition, there's no two ways about it. At the big clubs, money is still limited because they're not ran as a playtoy, they have finances but they still spend sustainably.

City took it to a whole new level of shitting on the competition, they're a farce. Money doesn't mean anything to them.
They play the best football in the country, are currently in a really competitive title race, and are always entertaining to follow.

This isn't Ligue 1. City can't buy absolute complete dominance over the competition. Can they buy an advantage? Sure, but they're yet to defend the league a single time in the last 10 years, so I'm struggling to see the issue here. If it weren't for City & Chelsea, SAF would've retired with United on 25 league titles :lol:

Look at all the other clubs in contention for the PL title during Chelsea/City's takeovers. It's Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, maybe Spurs, and a freak win for Leicester (which happened after both clubs were heavily invested in).

Where's the status-quo breaking teams there? Everton, West Ham, Newcastle? PL mainstays - the best of the rest? They've never come close. Without City/Chelsea, their Europa League finishes might instead be top 4 - "Woohoo."

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
We've gone totally off topic, but give me your plan to make Southampton a title-winning team in the next 5-10 years under football's current structure and I'll probably reply with some green smileys too.

But yes it's all City's fault, we've ruined football.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Haha thought you'd arrive.

Look forward to your list of low to mid-table clubs that made it to the top in the PL era sustainably pre and post Chelsea and City. Maybe predictions for current low to mid-table clubs that you think will make it to the top sustainably in the next 5 years too while you're at it?
We're currently a top 4 team despite a net spend lower than the likes of Stoke recently. We've spent money but in a sustainable fashion, and were a mid table club before that. We would currently have a league title if it wasn't for the takeover by Abramovich (16/17) and who knows, maybe we would push on from that? We won't know though, because a playtoy club won it instead.

Also, a few teams in that period have been on the edge of the top six but unable to push on because City/Chelsea have been added to the mix. Southampton may have been able to enjoy the fruits of European football if it wasn't for that, we don't know, both of you have changed football irreversibly. Maybe even Leicester would have pushed on as a football club, in the current era we've seen United and Arsenal decline big time so there's been opportunities for others to step up, but that gap has been filled by you and Chelsea.

Wolves would have a shot too, they've spent money but not to the same ridiculous extent as you and Chelsea. You've blocked opportunities for other clubs who have done it 'the right way' because despite the decline of some of the bigger clubs, they can't even get in to the top four.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We've gone totally off topic, but give me your plan to make Southampton a title-winning team in the next 5-10 years under football's current structure and I'll probably reply with some green smileys too.

But yes it's all City's fault, we've ruined football.

Glad you agree.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
We're currently a top 4 team despite a net spend lower than the likes of Stoke recently. We've spent money but in a sustainable fashion, and were a mid table club before that. We would currently have a league title if it wasn't for the takeover by Abramovich (16/17) and who knows, maybe we would push on from that? We won't know though, because a playtoy club won it instead.

Also, a few teams in that period have been on the edge of the top six but unable to push on because City/Chelsea have been added to the mix. Southampton may have been able to enjoy the fruits of European football if it wasn't for that, we don't know, both of you have changed football irreversibly. Maybe even Leicester would have pushed on as a football club, in the current era we've seen United and Arsenal decline big time so there's been opportunities for others to step up, but that gap has been filled by you and Chelsea.

Wolves would have a shot too, they've spent money but not to the same ridiculous extent as you and Chelsea. You've blocked opportunities for other clubs who have done it 'the right way' because despite the decline of some of the bigger clubs, they can't even get in to the top four.
You said "plenty of clubs." And your examples are Spurs, who were obviously not the type of low to mid-table club I was referring to (undeniably Levy has done a superb job though), Leicester (who failed FFP before they won the league and have now fallen away), and Wolves (who likely creatively cheated FFP, and who closed the gap down to 6th to a manageable 14 points with their win the other night).

It's not the best list to be honest.