EPL Title race 2018/2019

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Given City are currently still ‘ahead’ in the race, the flip side of that stat must be that Liverpool drop a lot more points from winning positions.. so you might react better in adversity but you’re also liable to bottling it from a winning position. Not sure which I’d rather be.
Yeah agree with that, like I said in my post you're way better than us in closing out games, I'm never comfortable if we have a 1-goal lead and even with a 2-goal lead there's been quite a few times that we let them pull one back and we make it a difficult ending for ourselves. It's nerve-wrecking tbh.

We've also been fortunate that the games in which we fell behind, e.g. Watford and Soton in recent memory, we conceded within the first ten minutes or so against inferior opposition so plenty of time to get it right. Arsenal at home is another one.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Given City are currently still ‘ahead’ in the race, the flip side of that stat must be that Liverpool drop a lot more points from winning positions.. so you might react better in adversity but you’re also liable to bottling it from a winning position. Not sure which I’d rather be.
A lot more points? If City win their game in hand they're a point ahead of Liverpool. That hardly suggests Liverpool drop a lot more points from a winning position does it :lol:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't think we have a stronger mentality, but I do think we are able to react better to adversity.

Look at points won from losing positions (after falling behind):

Liverpool - 7 games, W5 D1 L1 - 16 points
City - 5 games, W0 D1 L4

They've fallen behind 5 times this season and lost 4 of those. I remember the games against Palace and Newcastle where they kept on pushing but simply couldn't score. Against Chelsea as well, they were by far the better team but once they fell behind against the run of play they couldn't impose their will on Chelsea and conceded another. City is way better in closing games out once they've taken the lead, I never expect any opponent to get something against them after they go 1-0 up. However when City falls behind, it seems like they struggle to turn things around. Hopefully for Liverpool that's what will happen in Palace, in United or in Burnley.
Helps when you're thrown a bone whenever you're in a losing position.

Offside goal, a Salah dive, if Liverpool are struggling you know that something bullshit is coming. All started early in the season when you should have thrown away a 2 goal lead at Wembley but the referee messed up what should have been a clear as day penalty award on Son.

edit: Actually started in the first game of the season, where your third goal should not have stood.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Helps when you're thrown a bone whenever you're in a losing position.

Offside goal, a Salah dive, if Liverpool are struggling you know that something bullshit is coming. All started early in the season when you should have thrown away a 2 goal lead at Wembley but the referee messed up what should have been a clear as day penalty award on Son.

edit: Actually started in the first game of the season, where your third goal should not have stood.
I can almost taste the bitterness myself, great to see. Third goal shouldn't have stood in a 4-0 win, boo fecking hoo :lol:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I can almost taste the bitterness myself, great to see. Third goal shouldn't have stood in a 4-0 win, boo fecking hoo :lol:
It was just an example of the fact that you getting incorrect goals awarded started from the very first game of the season. The real example of a game changing decision was the Son penalty, a stonewaller that should be given every single time, but was turned down. That came very early in the season.

It's not bitterness, it's facts. I would prefer City to win the league but I dislike both clubs for different reasons. It's just very obvious to almost all neutrals that you've had a lot of decisions at key moments go your way, and this has been happening throughout the season. It won't matter if you win the title, people will just remember the victory, and there are other title winners who have experienced similar moments.

But with VAR in play, you would not be so close to them. Liverpool fans can debate that all they want (and of course you will) but I feel like in the back of your minds you must know it's true.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I'll pick on you as it seems to be the question everyone is asking as a result of that post, what Liverpool have done historically doesn't have any baring on this side does it? This is a newly built team that haven't been together for that long - Alisson, VVD, Robertson, Arnold, Gomez, Salah, none of those players have been in the Liverpool starting XI for longer than 18 months and with the goal keeper and Gomez aside what those other players managed to do in their first season at Liverpool was get to a UCL final.

The core of City's XI though have been together for the best part of 10 years - Kompany, Silva, Aguero. Fernandinho has been there 6 years. All these players do have history of failing to retain league titles and failing in Europe.

If that wasn't enough City have lost in the league 4 times this season, 3 of which were games after taking the lead while Liverpool have lost only once and currently top the 'points after falling behind' table with 16 points gained from losing positions. Forget everything else and just looking at that and it's impossible to say that if you had to bet on who would blink first you wouldn't bet on City
:confused: are we looking at history or not?

And is looking at wins from a losing position the best way to gauge mentality? That discounts the ability to not fall in those situations in the first place, which is much harder.

But again we are in a climate where we have to crowbar crude measures for mentality into the mix, which is why the loser of this title race will be labeled "bottlers"

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
It was just an example of the fact that you getting incorrect goals awarded started from the very first game of the season. The real example of a game changing decision was the Son penalty, a stonewaller that should be given every single time, but was turned down. That came very early in the season.

It's not bitterness, it's facts. I would prefer City to win the league but I dislike both clubs for different reasons. It's just very obvious to almost all neutrals that you've had a lot of decisions at key moments go your way, and this has been happening throughout the season. It won't matter if you win the title, people will just remember the victory, and there are other title winners who have experienced similar moments.

But with VAR in play, you would not be so close to them. Liverpool fans can debate that all they want (and of course you will) but I feel like in the back of your minds you must know it's true.
Okay, so then we didn't get lucky against Tottenham a few weeks ago because your equaliser shouldn't have stood. Cancels it out then, doesn't it?

I never disputed your last paragraph. We've been lucky on quite a few occasions, but when we've been unlucky (which is fewer) we've simply turned it around and it doesn't get talked about anymore.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Okay, so then we didn't get lucky against Tottenham a few weeks ago because your equaliser shouldn't have stood. Cancels it out then, doesn't it?

I never disputed your last paragraph. We've been lucky on quite a few occasions, but when we've been unlucky (which is fewer) we've simply turned it around and it doesn't get talked about anymore.
Cancels what out? If the referee did his job properly in both games against us, you'd be down 2 points. That's the fact of the situation. A clear penalty being turned down isn't on the same level as a referee not spotting the ball VERY SLIGHTLY moving (it provided zero advantage) when a free kick was taken.

That's true, but people are always going to focus on the game changing decisions, and you've had more of those go your way than anybody else.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City

I think close title races always have definable moments, usually last-minute goals, ball dropping in the right place, the odd ref decision in your favour etc. that you look back on at the end of the season and think "yea, that was a big moment." You make your own luck though so I don't have a problem with it. Liverpool definitely do seem to have had more of those definable moments so far.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Cancels what out? If the referee did his job properly in both games against us, you'd be down 2 points. That's the fact of the situation. A clear penalty being turned down isn't on the same level as a referee not spotting the ball VERY SLIGHTLY moving (it provided zero advantage) when a free kick was taken.

That's true, but people are always going to focus on the game changing decisions, and you've had more of those go your way than anybody else.
We would have had 2 points extra if the referee did his job in the Arsenal away game where a perfectly good goal was ruled out. You might argue that it's not sure we would've won the game anyway, and I'll argue it isn't sure that Kane would've scored the penalty in the Son situation.

We might have scored against Southampton anyway if we didn't after the Salah offside call. We might have not. There's no point knowing. The only thing you can say with certainty is that we've had the calls go in our favour more often than calls against us. Which is something which can probably be said for quite a lot of champions in the last decade or so. Unless you really stand a level above the rest, you're gonna need some luck from time to time if you want to become champions. We are clearly not standing a level above City, quite the opposite in fact. We wouldn't be near them if we didn't have some luck (mostly with opposition errors than referee ones though I'd say), it's arguably the best side ever in the PL on course for a total of 198 combined points over two seasons. If we win it against them, we would certainly have needed some luck, yes. I won't care though.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think close title races always have definable moments, usually last-minute goals, ball dropping in the right place, the odd ref decision in your favour etc. that you look back on at the end of the season and think "yea, that was a big moment." You make your own luck though so I don't have a problem with it. Liverpool definitely do seem to have had more of those definable moments so far.
Definitely, don't disagree with that.

I'd rather you looked at yourself if you were not to win it though, instead of blaming referees or opposition errors. If you were smart enough not to let Mahrez take that penalty at Anfield, you'd probably be up 1 point with a game in hand right now.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We would have had 2 points extra if the referee did his job in the Arsenal away game where a perfectly good goal was ruled out. You might argue that it's not sure we would've won the game anyway, and I'll argue it isn't sure that Kane would've scored the penalty in the Son situation.

We might have scored against Southampton anyway if we didn't after the Salah offside call. We might have not. There's no point knowing. The only thing you can say with certainty is that we've had the calls go in our favour more often than calls against us. Which is something which can probably be said for quite a lot of champions in the last decade or so. Unless you really stand a level above the rest, you're gonna need some luck from time to time if you want to become champions. We are clearly not standing a level above City, quite the opposite in fact. We wouldn't be near them if we didn't have some luck (mostly with opposition errors than referee ones though I'd say), it's arguably the best side ever in the PL on course for a total of 198 combined points over two seasons. If we win it against them, we would certainly have needed some luck, yes. I won't care though.

City should have had another penalty in the game against you at Anfield. That's another 2 points. With Kane's record from spot kicks you can bet your ass that 95% of the time he is putting it away. Not to mention the point you gained against West Ham because of that outrageous offside decision. Didn't Mitrovic have a goal disallowed (wrongly?) against you, and then you went immediately up the other end and scored. Yes, sometimes it's gone against you, but more often than not it hasn't.

A deadlock breaking goal is a huge deal, if Southampton survive till half time and have something to protect, the game is likely to be very different. You probably don't lose but it's much harder if you're approaching the 80 minute mark and it's 1-0 Southampton than if it's 1-1, mentally it's a big deal. Those kind of breaks do seem to be falling to you a lot, the important wrong decisions which alter games. It also feels like in a lot of games you get the referee favouring you for little decisions as well, I've watched you plenty this season and in a few games (Brighton in particular) it feels like the referee makes his mind up as soon as one of your players goes down.

I don't know why that is, I certainly don't think it's some big conspiracy and that anybody is deliberately favouring Liverpool, it's hard to explain. I think it's beyond 'you're gunna need some luck from time to time' and entering in to the realm of 'what the feck? again?' where pretty much everyone is sitting up and noticing how many decisions have gone your way.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
City should have had another penalty in the game against you at Anfield. That's another 2 points. With Kane's record from spot kicks you can bet your ass that 95% of the time he is putting it away. Not to mention the point you gained against West Ham because of that outrageous offside decision. Didn't Mitrovic have a goal disallowed (wrongly?) against you, and then you went immediately up the other end and scored. Yes, sometimes it's gone against you, but more often than not it hasn't.

A deadlock breaking goal is a huge deal, if Southampton survive till half time and have something to protect, the game is likely to be very different. You probably don't lose but it's much harder if you're approaching the 80 minute mark and it's 1-0 Southampton than if it's 1-1, mentally it's a big deal. Those kind of breaks do seem to be falling to you a lot, the important wrong decisions which alter games. It also feels like in a lot of games you get the referee favouring you for little decisions as well, I've watched you plenty this season and in a few games (Brighton in particular) it feels like the referee makes his mind up as soon as one of your players goes down.

I don't know why that is, I certainly don't think it's some big conspiracy and that anybody is deliberately favouring Liverpool, it's hard to explain. I think it's beyond 'you're gunna need some luck from time to time' and entering in to the realm of 'what the feck? again?' where pretty much everyone is sitting up and noticing how many decisions have gone your way.
Okay.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Definitely, don't disagree with that.

I'd rather you looked at yourself if you were not to win it though, instead of blaming referees or opposition errors. If you were smart enough not to let Mahrez take that penalty at Anfield, you'd probably be up 1 point with a game in hand right now.
Haha yes the Mahrez missed pen is a great example of City passing up the chance of a definable moment. As soon as he grabbed the ball I thought "he's missing this." And he's been utterly irrelevant to our season since then really.

And yes when I said making your own luck, it was meant as a compliment to Liverpool. Most of those definable moments you've had come from pure will to win and skill. Hence the comebacks and the late goals etc. A helping hand from refs is a very, very small subset of that, and we've both had decisions go our way that I do think more or less even out over a season.

If you win the league over 38 games it's because you were the best team and deserve it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Haha yes the Mahrez missed pen is a great example of City passing up the chance of a definable moment. As soon as he grabbed the ball I thought "he's missing this." And he's been utterly irrelevant to our season since then really.

And yes when I said making your own luck, it was meant as a compliment to Liverpool. Most of those definable moments you've had come from pure will to win and skill. Hence the comebacks and the late goals etc. A helping hand from refs is a very, very small subset of that, and we've both had decisions go our way that I do think more or less even out over a season.

If you win the league over 38 games it's because you were the best team and deserve it.
This is a complete myth and needs to be killed.

george custer

Supports
sunderland
for the good of football in general it's hoped the Scousers win nothing ever

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

If we were to win it, I think we'll have definitely needed the little extras to push ourselves over the edge. I still think City will win it though (and they've comfortably been the best team this season imo).

AJ10

Of course you don't expect any fan to say they're getting lucky specially pool fans (they're far more removed from reality than others). Every team gets lucky here and there but in 2019 pool have been close to shit but been saved by refs not seeing clear offsides and keepers Screwing up nearly every game.

Sadly, I see that continuing and these lot winning the league.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
If we were to win it, I think we'll have definitely needed the little extras to push ourselves over the edge. I still think City will win it though (and they've comfortably been the best team this season imo).
I think you're slight favourites but it's going be tight either way!

If I was going to be bitter and talk about referee decisions, I'd be much more inclined to talk about the CL 1/4 final last year, than this PL season :)

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Of course you don't expect any fan to say they're getting lucky specially pool fans (they're far more removed from reality than others). Every team gets lucky here and there but in 2019 pool have been close to shit but been saved by refs not seeing clear offsides and keepers Screwing up nearly every game.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the Liverpool fans who are so keen to dismiss it with such cliches as 'you make your own luck and 'title winners all get luck' would be up in arms all over if the decisions were reversed.

It would all be about how they have been robbed and how the league is corrupt and against Liverpool, shit last season they were making 'luck tables' to try and convince everyone of how unlucky they were.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
We have been lucky with decisions & opposition blunders, but I do believe some element of the latter is forced by our offensive playstyle. Of course that doesn't include shite like Pickford's blunder, which was just hilariously bad :D I just refuse to acknowledge instances like Sturridge's goal at the bridge being declared luck - It was just a great goal, nothing more than that.

We've comfortably been the second best team in the country, and the fact we're in a title race is a bonus to that mostly driven by external factors. Still, I'll take it. You need luck sometimes.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

I've literally been saying it on this very page? :lol:

And the bolded part is just not true. We came close to a draw at the Etihad, we've put Bayern out of the CL with relative ease, and shown some real resilience down the stretch. Granted it's not been as flashy as it was last year but far from shit - we've comfortably been the second best team even with United's resurgance.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We have been lucky with decisions & opposition blunders, but I do believe some element of the latter is forced by our offensive playstyle. Of course that doesn't include shite like Pickford's blunder, which was just hilariously bad :D I just refuse to acknowledge instances like Sturridge's goal at the bridge being declared luck - It was just a great goal, nothing more than that.

We've comfortably been the second best team in the country, and the fact we're in a title race is a bonus to that mostly driven by external factors. Still, I'll take it. You need luck sometimes.

I don't think anybody is arguing against that. It's pretty clear cut, you're obviously second best regardless of decisions or whatever.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think anybody is arguing against that. It's pretty clear cut, you're obviously second best regardless of decisions or whatever.
There's no real shame in finishing behind this City team either. We've a pretty good chance at the CL final even if we don't win the league, so it's been a great year anyway.

(That said, I'll be watching your game instead tomorrow & hoping you lot do City in :D)

AJ10

You can bet your bottom dollar that the Liverpool fans who are so keen to dismiss it with such cliches as 'you make your own luck and 'title winners all get luck' would be up in arms all over if the decisions were reversed.

It would all be about how they have been robbed and how the league is corrupt and against Liverpool, shit last season they were making 'luck tables' to try and convince everyone of how unlucky they were.
They would be signing petitions to take away from points from other teams (:lol:). Oh yes, their famous tables to prove how they've been hard done as other teams have been helped by FA. It would be iconic if they get done with a offside goal which takes away their first place at the end of the season and title (as i expect city to drop points, some where).

charlenefan

:confused: are we looking at history or not?

And is looking at wins from a losing position the best way to gauge mentality? That discounts the ability to not fall in those situations in the first place, which is much harder.

But again we are in a climate where we have to crowbar crude measures for mentality into the mix, which is why the loser of this title race will be labeled "bottlers"
Not sure what you're confused about? You obviously cannot compare this Liverpool side with those gone down the years as many haven't been there longer than 18 months, you can compare the City one though given the likes of Aguero, Silva and Kompany have been present throughout

And mentally of course it's harder to win from coming from behind. As for stopping yourself from going behind in the first place that's where being a better side comes into it and obviously City are a better side than Liverpool

andyox

Supports
Manchester City

Agree with your first paragraph. Don't agree with your second paragraph, you've lost once all season and are on track for mid-high 90s points. You can't do that through luck, it's because you're an excellent team.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Agree with your first paragraph. Don't agree with your second paragraph, you've lost once all season and are on track for mid-high 90s points. You can't do that through luck, it's because you're an excellent team.
I think the argument being made against that, is that we'd be on course for 80-something if it wasn't for all our luck, which would still make us an excellent team but no exceptionally great one like 17/18 City or 04/05 Chelsea. It looks like we're going to end on around 95 points which is the shared second highest all-time. We're good, maybe even great, but not that historically great.

Treble

I'll pick on you as it seems to be the question everyone is asking as a result of that post, what Liverpool have done historically doesn't have any baring on this side does it? This is a newly built team that haven't been together for that long - Alisson, VVD, Robertson, Arnold, Gomez, Salah, none of those players have been in the Liverpool starting XI for longer than 18 months and with the goal keeper and Gomez aside what those other players managed to do in their first season at Liverpool was get to a UCL final.

The core of City's XI though have been together for the best part of 10 years - Kompany, Silva, Aguero. Fernandinho has been there 6 years. All these players do have history of failing to retain league titles and failing in Europe.

If that wasn't enough City have lost in the league 4 times this season, 3 of which were games after taking the lead while Liverpool have lost only once and currently top the 'points after falling behind' table with 16 points gained from losing positions. Forget everything else and just looking at that and it's impossible to say that if you had to bet on who would blink first you wouldn't bet on City
It would be a bit OTT to call Aguero, Silva and Kompany mentally weak and to explain City's failure to retain the title with their mental deficits.

The basis of your argument is unconvincing. Teams happen to lose points without being mentally weak. United 99, a prime example of mental strength, blinked 4 times in the last 8 PL games that season. Fortunately, Arsenal blinked too and didn't capitalise on those "mistakes".

Last edited:

Andrew Wolf

Supports
Manchester City
It would be a bit OOT to call Aguero, Silva and Kompany mentally weak and to explain City's failure to retain the title with their mental deficits.

The basis of your argument is unconvincing. Teams happen to lose points without being mentally weak. United 99, a prime example of mental strength, blinked 4 times in the last 8 PL games that season. Fortunately, Arsenal blinked too and didn't capitalise on those "mistakes".
Even more so when you think of how two of the three titles were won. Coming from behind when others teams may have folded. Hardly mentally weak.

I can't believe that the Derby defeat last year has been one of those examples he's used to show that mental weakness. 18 points clear and had a bad 15 mins in a game against a team with quality players. City still came back pretty strong and were denied a penalty, denied by a goalkeeper pulling off save after save and denied by Sterling stopping the ball going in.

charlenefan

Even more so when you think of how two of the three titles were won. Coming from behind when others teams may have folded. Hardly mentally weak.

I can't believe that the Derby defeat last year has been one of those examples he's used to show that mental weakness. 18 points clear and had a bad 15 mins in a game against a team with quality players. City still came back pretty strong and were denied a penalty, denied by a goalkeeper pulling off save after save and denied by Sterling stopping the ball going in.
You won a title on GD (when we threw it away) and again when another team threw it away. You want to despute City's suspect mentality explain your awful title defences?

Trizy

I may have spoke too soon, just checked Liverpool's fixtures vs City's. Their gonna fecking win the thing, aren't they? :nervous:

What makes it worse I can see 1 of two things happening. We beat City or City hammer Spurs in the Champions League by about 8+ GD but then lose the League Game 1-0.

Josh 76

It was interesting to watch Carragher and Nevilles prediction for the title. Carragher had Liverpool to win by 1 point and Neville had City to win by 1 point. Both saying they think Utd will hold City.

Obviously both of these guys only know much as us. So doesn't really matter what they think. But Carragher made an interesting point which I have never thought of. Neville asked if Beneitez would let Liverpool win at Newcastle , but Carragher dismmised that saying Beneitez wouldn't want another Liverpool manager to get one over his own achievements at Liverpool in the modern era. I know these managers are alot about themselves so he may have a point.

AJ10

It was interesting to watch Carragher and Nevilles prediction for the title. Carragher had Liverpool to win by 1 point and Neville had City to win by 1 point. Both saying they think Utd will hold City.

Obviously both of these guys only know much as us. So doesn't really matter what they think. But Carragher made an interesting point which I have never thought of. Neville asked if Beneitez would let Liverpool win at Newcastle , but Carragher dismmised that saying Beneitez wouldn't want another Liverpool manager to get one over his own achievements at Liverpool in the modern era. I know these managers are alot about themselves so he may have a point.
1- :lol:
2- 5-0 to pool vs newcastle.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I may have spoke too soon, just checked Liverpool's fixtures vs City's. Their gonna fecking win the thing, aren't they? :nervous:

What makes it worse I can see 1 of two things happening. We beat City or City hammer Spurs in the Champions League by about 8+ GD but then lose the League Game 1-0.
Thanks to their last two wins the do now yes. Sometimes the harder fixtures make you raise your game though, and raise the crowd. Any fixture only has to creep to HT at 0-0 and you’ve got a game on your hands. The emphasis on the tough fixtures can sometimes be misplaced, particular where City are concerned this season! Palace, Leicester and Newcastle were our last 3 games to drop points!

5_times93

Supports
Liverpool
Been browsing football forums for quite a while now (never really posted before) but the thing I find most hilarious is that basically every group of fans think there is a conspiracy / agenda against them :lol:. Some of the shouts you hear on RAWK / Bluemoon would make David Icke sound tame. I clocked one fella on Bluemoon the other day who was angling towards Mahrez missing his penalty against us on purpose.

Utd, Chelsea, we all do it. Even Everton fans, who sound like paranoid Americans during the communist era when they refer to our local newspaper as "The Red Echo", due to the fact it apparently covers more Liverpool stories than Everton. And it runs right up to the BBC, who regularly show them last on MOTD. Nothing to do with the fact they're usually compete in dismal games of football, but because it's a CONSPIRACY.

The funniest part of it all is that most of these fellas will be completely rational on any other topic, they probably hold down decent jobs & have families... Yet completely lose the plot when It comes to football.:lol: All that being said, I wouldn't have it any other way.

On the subject of us being lucky, I think certainly we've had our fair share of luck this season, but on the grand scheme of things I think we've been due a bit. The bizarre endings to our 2014 & 2018 seasons had me genuinely worrying that Rafa Benitez made a pact with the devil at HT in Istanbul

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Been browsing football forums for quite a while now (never really posted before) but the thing I find most hilarious is that basically every group of fans think there is a conspiracy / agenda against them :lol:. Some of the shouts you hear on RAWK / Bluemoon would make David Icke sound tame. I clocked one fella on Bluemoon the other day who was angling towards Mahrez missing his penalty against us on purpose.

Utd, Chelsea, we all do it. Even Everton fans, who sound like paranoid Americans during the communist era when they refer to our local newspaper as "The Red Echo", due to the fact it apparently covers more Liverpool stories than Everton. And it runs right up to the BBC, who regularly show them last on MOTD. Nothing to do with the fact they're usually compete in dismal games of football, but because it's a CONSPIRACY.

The funniest part of it all is that most of these fellas will be completely rational on any other topic, they probably hold down decent jobs & have families... Yet completely lose the plot when It comes to football.:lol: All that being said, I wouldn't have it any other way.

On the subject of us being lucky, I think certainly we've had our fair share of luck this season, but on the grand scheme of things I think we've been due a bit. The bizarre endings to our 2014 & 2018 seasons had me genuinely worrying that Rafa Benitez made a pact with the devil at HT in Istanbul
Can't really speak about other forums, but totally agree with you on Blue Moon. I don't think the conspiracy theorists and "agenda" mob really reflect well on our fanbase. There are a couple of issues that I do agree with: 1) City get less media coverage than some other members of the top 6; 2) City have less ex-player representatives in the media generally that other members of the top 6. I don't think either of those issues demonstrate an agenda though. The reality is we have less fans than the historically bigger clubs, so in a click-for-money media environment, it's only natural we'll get less coverage. And additionally, due to the new nature (!) of our success, we have less ex-player household names currently. I'm sure in time people like Vincent Kompany will be on Sky/BT Sport etc., but for the moment, it doesn't make sense for Sky/BT Sport to have prior generation City players on TV all the time -- they resonate less with fans of other clubs, and they don't actually have relevant experience that they can relate to the viewer. As much as I love former City players from the 1990s and 2000s, they couldn't easily opine on what it's like to be in a PL title race or a CL quarter-final etc.

5_times93

Supports
Liverpool
Can't really speak about other forums, but totally agree with you on Blue Moon. I don't think the conspiracy theorists and "agenda" mob really reflect well on our fanbase. There are a couple of issues that I do agree with: 1) City get less media coverage than some other members of the top 6; 2) City have less ex-player representatives in the media generally that other members of the top 6. I don't think either of those issues demonstrate an agenda though. The reality is we have less fans than the historically bigger clubs, so in a click-for-money media environment, it's only natural we'll get less coverage. And additionally, due to the new nature (!) of our success, we have less ex-player household names currently. I'm sure in time people like Vincent Kompany will be on Sky/BT Sport etc., but for the moment, it doesn't make sense for Sky/BT Sport to have prior generation City players on TV all the time -- they resonate less with fans of other clubs, and they don't actually have relevant experience that they can relate to the viewer. As much as I love former City players from the 1990s and 2000s, they couldn't easily opine on what it's like to be in a PL title race or a CL quarter-final etc.
Well not just forums but see quite a fair bit of it on Twitter et al too. But yeah, there's definitely a lack of ex city players in the media but as you said I think that's just down to the lack of suitable candidates at the minute. Vaguely remember Mike Summerbee doing a bit on Sky when you first started to challenge but I imagine he's gave that a miss now that he must be pushing 80 odd years of age. I think once the current crop retire you'll start to see a lot more in the media in years to come

Wulfric

Supports
Liverpool

He sold our soul to the devil that night. No doubt about that.