EPL Title race 2018/2019

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Why would Brighton go all out? Just to spoil the party?
Why did Newcastle go all out against us last week ? They had absolutely nothing to gain. Perhaps it's professional pride, & the fact they want to give their fans something to shout about for the final home match of the season. Anyway it doesn't matter how hard Brighton try today, they'll be comfortably 2nd best to this City machine.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Why did Newcastle go all out against us last week ? They had absolutely nothing to gain. Perhaps it's professional pride, & the fact they want to give their fans something to shout about for the final home match of the season. Anyway it doesn't matter how hard Brighton try today, they'll be comfortably 2nd best to this City machine.
Exactly. Today is not about hard graft and full on concentration. It's all about luck and destiny. Kompany got an undeserved worldie in the previous game so karma may want to take some of that back. An Ederson mis-pass, 5 posts for Aguero. A dodgy penalty for Knockeart. The possibilities are endless and I don't think I'm helping the general mood here... :D

Ban

Well that goes for Wolves too then?

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Well that goes for Wolves too then?
Who knows. Difference is Wolves are not playing in front of their own fans, they had their farewell last week against Fulham. I personally don't think they'll roll over for us, their manager will see to that. I'm merely pointing out that I think Brighton will be motivated today. Don't think they'll get anything mind

Ban

Who knows. Difference is Wolves are not playing in front of their own fans, they had their farewell last week against Fulham. I personally don't think they'll roll over for us, their manager will see to that. I'm merely pointing out that I think Brighton will be motivated today. Don't think they'll get anything mind
Yeah, agreed.

starman

No Liverpool title win, but still feeling pretty depressed watching this...

Next year Liverpool will eventually win it or City will complete the hat trick. That's the reality..:(

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Congrats to City. Fully deserved and 14 wins in a row shows it.

Guardiola dominating another domestic league.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Thank god it's over. Lets hope Liverpool aren't as competitive the next few years or beyond that.

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
City were the more convincing team overall, so no complains.

Hope their owners will find a new toy soon enough.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
14 wins in a row at the clutch point of the season, including victories against Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and United.

A hard earned and well deserved league title.

Triple.Threat

Congratulations to City. Only bright spot this season is Pool coming so close to taste glory but failing.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think Pep will be disappointed not to have got in to 3 figures again, they dropped some stupid points and got done by the ref against Wolves when they punched the ball in in August IIRC. I expect them to strengthen Fernandinho's position next season and VAR could help them as well. Target for the title is 100 points next season, and that could even not be enough.

Remarkable end to the season though with 14 wins in a row, and they equalled the 32 wins from last year.

When you've got a team with the best current Manager for league football in Pep, backed by a country without many budget constraints, also an excellent youth system and scouting, they are going to take some shifting.

Yakuza_devils

14 wins in a row at the clutch point of the season, including victories against Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and United.

A hard earned and well deserved league title.
It's scary to think that Pep will still improve the squad with expensive signing next season. Man City can become like Juventus, Bayern Munich and PSG dominating their respective league comfortably.

ExecutionerWasp001

Glad Liverpool failed in the end, but it leaves a sour taste in that it took a team with all the cheat modes turned on to pip them
Glad it's now over. The hyperbole all week about ''The Greatest Ever Title Race'' has been interminable. It's been the luckiest ever team in a PL season against a State funded non entity. It is farcical that a team can lose the league having only lost 1 game all season. The only good thing to come out of the season will be if the PL realise they've made a mistake in allowing Abu Dhabi to run amok.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I believe I said somewhere (ahead of their first match?) the title would be decided in the direct duel of Pool and City. At least I want me to have said that. ^^

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Who stopped Liverpool winning the league then? Technically Everton with their 0-0 at Goodison in early March which I think is last time either title challenger dropped points in the run in which is incredible.

Don't worry Man. United fans, in these poverty times you played your part with your 0-0 at Old Trafford.

I know the narrative on here but just have to tip my hats to both teams for such a high level title race. Remember last season the gap between 1st and 2nd was pretty much 20 points and not like Man. City's level dropped that much this year bar the dodgy xmas period.

Liverpool will look back at those draws in February with regret.

padr81

Supports
Man City
It's scary to think that Pep will still improve the squad with expensive signing next season. Man City can become like Juventus, Bayern Munich and PSG dominating their respective league comfortably.
Impossilbe, too much money in the PL and even though we have the most, we don't have the kind of dominance over the rest that Real, Barca, Juve have over their respective leagues.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
As a Blackburn fan, I'm obliged to point out that this remains the only time that the Premier League trophy has been paraded around Anfield:

Seriously though well done to both City and Liverpool for their insane points totals and an exceptionally high quality title race. City ended the season with 14 consecutive league victories, and Liverpool with 9, hugely impressive for both teams obviously City in particular for continuing to rack up win and win under such high pressure.

Irwin99

As a Blackburn fan, I'm obliged to point out that this remains the only time that the Premier League trophy has been paraded around Anfield:

Seriously though well done to both City and Liverpool for their insane points totals and an exceptionally high quality title race. City ended the season with 14 consecutive league victories, and Liverpool with 9, hugely impressive for both teams obviously City in particular for continuing to rack up win and win under such high pressure.
:lol:

So many years ago.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

Yes Guy! feck off scouse cnuts. Every single one of them.

always_hoping

Good teams can win a title and but only the great ones retain a title well done to City! i shouldn't have doubted them but it was more of worry that Liverpool would nick the title.

Next season I'd expect with Pep saying on to finish on 95 to 100 points again. Slim chance that Liverpool will finish close to 97 points again (all those keeper errors that led to points won't happen again) i'd say about 85 max for another likely 2nd place finish

Chelsea,Spurs,Arsenal are all average teams and won't improve much next season IMO and as so long as United aren't a shambles for 7 months of the season again they should finish 4th at least.

Tostao_80

Good teams can win a title and but only the great ones retain a title well done to City! i shouldn't have doubted them but it was more of worry that Liverpool would nick the title.

Next season I'd expect with Pep saying on to finish on 95 to 100 points again. Slim chance that Liverpool will finish close to 97 points again (all those keeper errors that led to points won't happen again) i'd say about 85 max for another likely 2nd place finish

Chelsea,Spurs,Arsenal are all average teams and won't improve much next season IMO and as so long as United aren't a shambles for 7 months of the season again they should finish 4th at least.
Two of those teams are in the Europa league final and the third is in the CL final. How can they all be be average, especially Spurs, didn't they Knock City out?

always_hoping

Two of those teams are in the Europa league final and the third is in the CL final. How can they all be be average, especially Spurs, didn't they Knock City out?
Spurs have done well to reach the CL final (luck on route v Ajax,City) but don't let it disguise what was average league season of 13 defeats and 26 and 27 points off the top 2.

Arsenal,Chelsea reaching the Europa league final is nothing to write home about. United won that competition under Jose.

jackwanson

Supports
Man City
No. Sorry. Just no.
Theres way too many rich clubs in the PL. We will be in a tight race again and will most likely fall flat in CL again
The goal next year for City is semi finals of xhampions League and top 2 PL

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Seriously??

You've won last two seasons having smashed all records on your way. You have the most succesful manager around with an obscene amount of money to spend on top of your historic 198 pts double titlewinning squad..

And top2 and a semifinal is your goal? Yeah right..

PepG

Supports
Ajax
The goal for City next season (if they achieve the historic home treble now) will be at least a double of the Premier League title and the Champions League title . CL win will be the main target.

Tostao_80

Spurs have done well to reach the CL final (luck on route v Ajax,City) but don't let it disguise what was average league season of 13 defeats and 26 and 27 points off the top 2.

Arsenal,Chelsea reaching the Europa league final is nothing to write home about. United won that competition under Jose.
Okay, forget the cup competitions, Spurs and Chelsea have both finished in the top 4 of the strongest league in the world. That alone doesn't make them average.

Yakuza_devils

No. Sorry. Just no.
Theres way too many rich clubs in the PL. We will be in a tight race again and will most likely fall flat in CL again
The scariest part was some of the City's best players were injured but they still play most of the game in 2nd gear and have lots of routine 4-0 or 5-0 wins. Meanwhile, Liverpool was playing out of their skin and also depends on lots of luck and last minute goals to compete with City. I don't think they can maintain this form next season.

In addition, last year when you won the league with 100 points your owner again spend massive amount of money for new signings to improve the squad further. This season after winning the league with 98 points all evidence suggest that your owner again will spend obscene amount of money for new signings.

So, CL Semi and Top 2 can't be your target for next year. With the money Abu Dhabi people are willing to spend, I would say your target should be to conquer EPL and CL.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
The scariest part was some of the City's best players were injured but they still play most of the game in 2nd gear and have lots of routine 4-0 or 5-0 wins. Meanwhile, Liverpool was playing out of their skin and also depends on lots of luck and last minute goals to compete with City. I don't think they can maintain this form next season.

In addition, last year when you won the league with 100 points your owner again spend massive amount of money for new signings to improve the squad further. This season after winning the league with 98 points all evidence suggest that your owner again will spend obscene amount of money for new signings.

So, CL Semi and Top 2 can't be your target for next year. With the money Abu Dhabi people are willing to spend, I would say your target should be to conquer EPL and CL.
Stop being lazy. We bought one player, Riyad Mahrez, for 60m. He spent most of the season on the bench.

I'm guessing we'll be spending more than that this summer as we have more positions that need obvious improvement (particularly central defence with Kompany/Otamendi maybe going, and central midfield with Fernandinho and D. Silva one year older and Gundogan maybe going).

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Okay, forget the cup competitions, Spurs and Chelsea have both finished in the top 4 of the strongest league in the world. That alone doesn't make them average.
No. Them finishing 20 something points below the champions and runner-ups makes them closer to average than brilliant.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham

The Spurs were lucky narrative makes me chuckle especially since Spurs had key players missing for both those ties, nothing lucky about winning both ties as that's what you're meant to do to go through to the next rounds.

As does the 13 losses in the league people keep bleating about which when you really look at it is pointless seeing as they had 23 wins (3rd highest in the league) both those stats are meaningless mind you because as long as I've been watching football I've always thought that the stat which determines where you deserve to finish is the amount of points you have at the end of the day, forgive me If I'm wrong?

Yakuza_devils

Stop being lazy. We bought one player, Riyad Mahrez, for 60m. He spent most of the season on the bench.

I'm guessing we'll be spending more than that this summer as we have more positions that need obvious improvement (particularly central defence with Kompany/Otamendi maybe going, and central midfield with Fernandinho and D. Silva one year older and Gundogan maybe going).
My bad didn't really check in detail but add 60mil to a 100 points winning team is not small amount at all. And there were lots of reports that Man City was actually looking to sign more than just Mahrez if the players were available.

This season no doubts that your owner will add more signings to the 98 points winning squad. There is no other team in EPL can do this.