Eredivisie 2020-21

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Do you guys think Madueke will play for a top 6 English side within five years?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Do you guys think Madueke will play for a top 6 English side within five years?
You're asking because he's English, I suppose? Cause I thought Ihattaren, Malen, and Gakpo were the bigger talents in your current team. Dumfries also seems to be having a good season, seems like the kinda of fullback a team playing Liverpool's style could appreciate. Happy to be corrected though. :)

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
You're asking because he's English, I suppose? Cause I thought Ihattaren, Malen, and Gakpo were the bigger talents in your current team. Dumfries also seems to be having a good season, seems like the kinda of fullback a team playing Liverpool's style could appreciate. Happy to be corrected though. :)
Yes, partly because he is English but I’ll put him above all of them talentwise bar Ihattaren. Great mentality too which is still a doubt with Ihattaren.

Top 6 might be a bit high for Dumfries. Maybe just below that. His power style would definitely suit the Premier League.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yes, partly because he is English but I’ll put him above all of them talentwise bar Ihattaren. Great mentality too which is still a doubt with Ihattaren.

Top 6 might be a bit high for Dumfries. Maybe just below that. His power style would definitely suit the Premier League.
Yeah, not sure about Dumfries either. Possibly another Dutch fullback that might flatter to deceive due to the quality of the Eredivisie. (It's been a trend for a while now with Dutch fullbacks. When was the last time there was a good one?) He hasn't been too bad for the national team though.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Madueke's development has been interesting to watch.

He was a CM in his earlier years for both Spurs and England, I thought he showed a lot of ability in that position on the few occasions I got to see him play. Later on as an U16 he started to become more of a forward/winger and I was a little unsure of him there, he was somewhat erratic and didn't look entirely natural. A year later though at the U17 Euros he was very impressive there so he obviously adapted quickly and he's clearly improved further and at a quicker rate than he would have had he stayed with Spurs or signed for Utd. He's only started 4 games this season in the Eredivisie but has 5 goals and 5 assists, yes he's come off the bench a lot but that still only amounts to a total playing time of 580 minutes so a little over 6 full games. He's a big talent and it's disappointing for Spurs to have lost him. PSV sold Bergwijn for £25m and have effectively replaced him with Madueke for free, now he will go on to be worth more even more than Bergwijn at this rate and he's still only 18!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Big match today: Ajax-PSV. PSV was 0-2 up in 20 min, but Ajax pulled one back before the break. Anyone watching? What's it like?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
2-2 at full time, which sound about right from what I've read. That means that Ajax is still a point ahead of PSV, while Feyenoord and Vitesse follow at 3 points from Ajax. Almost halfway through and still completely open at the top - nice. :)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
In the meantime, PSV lost to AZ, while Feyenoord and Vitesse continue to do well. That shapes up for a nice fight - although I think Ajax will be too consistent for the others to keep up until the end - especially now they have more power up front with Haller having come in. Feyenoord also got a new striker on board though, Lucas Pratto from Argentina. If that fixes their scoring issues (alongside the return of several players from injuries), they might end up being Ajax's main competitor.

Yes, I'll keep plugging this thread without actually having much to say. :wenger:

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Not even in the Netherlands? I think you're just struggling with consistency this season, probably due to the new system taking a little time to really work out.
The mentality. Being happy to draw at Ajax. Happy with players like Rosario. Happy standing second because we were only one point behind Ajax. Losing to AZ 1-3 without a change created at home ‘can happen’. Four years without a championship.

We are the new Feyenoord.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The mentality. Being happy to draw at Ajax. Happy with players like Rosario. Happy standing second because we were only one point behind Ajax. Losing to AZ 1-3 without a change created at home ‘can happen’. Four years without a championship.

We are the new Feyenoord.
Really? After four years already? I thought you were heading in the right direction again under Schmidt. At least it's an ambitious coaching decision; more so than appointing Cocu or Van Bommel. Without major upsets, I'd thought you might have a very good season after this one (too weird, Schmidt too new), especially since the Eredivisie is a good environment for Schmidt's tactics, with very few time setting up doubledecker buses around their box.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Really? After four years already? I thought you were heading in the right direction again under Schmidt. At least it's an ambitious coaching decision; more so than appointing Cocu or Van Bommel. Without major upsets, I'd thought you might have a very good season after this one (too weird, Schmidt too new), especially since the Eredivisie is a good environment for Schmidt's tactics, with very few time setting up doubledecker buses around their box.
It’s three actually. But just everything screams sub top at the moment. I do like Schmidt but there is only so little he can do with players like Rosario ofcourse. Probably overreacting but people in Eindhoven would be livid with this season years ago. Now we seem OK with it. Absolutely hate this mentality.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ajax had a very good weekend: PSV lost (3-1 to Feyenoord), Vitesse drew (1-1 to RKC), and they beat AZ 3-0 themselves. As a result, they're now 7 points ahead of PSV, with most of their difficult matches behind. (January had been planned as a hard month for the top teams this year.) Can't really see them losing this anymore. Given the other teams' inconsistencies, even having a bad patch would be ok for them now.

Irwinning

Reactions: Cheimoon

Lay

Ajax having a rough few days, Haller not registered and now Onana banned for a year due to failing a drug test

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Ajax playing some great football, 2-0 up in 20 mins and Brian Brobbey is completely dominating. Such a shame that he is leaving for free to Leipzig, I think he is better than Sebastien Haller.

PSV lost another top match, 16 games, no wins vs Ajax, AZ and Feyenoord consecutively in the Eredivisie. AZ beat them 2-0, Ajax leads PSV 8 points with 2 games in-hand and are leading 2-0 now. There is pretty much nothing standing in-between Ajax and no.35.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ajax playing some great football, 2-0 up in 20 mins and Brian Brobbey is completely dominating. Such a shame that he is leaving for free to Leipzig, I think he is better than Sebastien Haller.

PSV lost another top match, 16 games, no wins vs Ajax, AZ and Feyenoord consecutively in the Eredivisie. AZ beat them 2-0, Ajax leads PSV 8 points with 2 games in-hand and are leading 2-0 now. There is pretty much nothing standing in-between Ajax and no.35.
You see that much future for Brobbey? I know next to nothing about him. Even better for him to be going to Leipzig then, cause they need a striker and I'd think Haller is blocking his path at Ajax.

I guess it's been clear for a while that this season is Ajax's to lose, so I guess PSV's loss to AZ means that there will be a real battle for second. :)

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Ajax well on their way to becoming Champions. 10 points in the final 8 matches will suffice.

I think the whole of The Netherlands is rooting for AZ to become second above PSV, because of their very unsympathetic German coach Roger Schmidt. I think PSV really attempted to become as unlikeable as Ajax for the rest of the country by appointing him..

I hope Feyenoord can secure the #4 spot above Vitesse. Would rather much prefer them in Europe next season with the new coach Arne Slot.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Ajax well on their way to becoming Champions. 10 points in the final 8 matches will suffice.

I think the whole of The Netherlands is rooting for AZ to become second above PSV, because of their very unsympathetic German coach Roger Schmidt. I think PSV really attempted to become as unlikeable as Ajax for the rest of the country by appointing him..

I hope Feyenoord can secure the #4 spot above Vitesse. Would rather much prefer them in Europe next season with the new coach Arne Slot.
Feyenoord is my second club after United and can't wait to see what Slot will do with our squad. We have a decent squad and with a few additions could challenge. We are too reliant on Berghuis and need to get more from the likes of Sinistera, Toonstra, Fer, Senesi. Slot plays a 4-2-3-1 which will suit our squad perfectly. Really excited to see what we do next year.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Feyenoord is my second club after United and can't wait to see what Slot will do with our squad. We have a decent squad and with a few additions could challenge. We are too reliant on Berghuis and need to get more from the likes of Sinistera, Toonstra, Fer, Senesi. Slot plays a 4-2-3-1 which will suit our squad perfectly. Really excited to see what we do next year.
I think there are so many uncertainties for Feyenoord.. Feyenoord have expressed to be in serious financial peril and I therefore suspect they will need to sell some players who represent some value. I think Berghuis, Jorgensen, Haps, Senesi will leave for sure, perhaps also Kokcu. Botteghin runs out of contract, Spahic and Pratto will leave after their current loan spell. That basically leaves only Bijlow, Malacia, Geertruida, Nieuwkoop, Diemers, Fer, Toornstra, Sinisterra, Bozenik and Linssen.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
I think there are so many uncertainties for Feyenoord.. Feyenoord have expressed to be in serious financial peril and I therefore suspect they will need to sell some players who represent some value. I think Berghuis, Jorgensen, Haps, Senesi will leave for sure, perhaps also Kokcu. Botteghin runs out of contract, Spahic and Pratto will leave after their current loan spell. That basically leaves only Bijlow, Malacia, Geertruida, Nieuwkoop, Diemers, Fer, Toornstra, Sinisterra, Bozenik and Linssen.
Pratto, Haps, and Jorgensen won't be a big miss, but if Berghuis and Senesi leave then that's the spine o the team gone. So younger players will have to step up but the money raised from their sales could bring in some players. I'm just trying to be optimistic, the foundation to make Feyenord challenge again is there it's just that the board have been riding the wave of 16/17 Gio's success till now. They didn't build on that. If we go into the new season with a young squad at least I have faith in Slot to manage them well as he did with AZs young team.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
You see that much future for Brobbey? I know next to nothing about him. Even better for him to be going to Leipzig then, cause they need a striker and I'd think Haller is blocking his path at Ajax.

I guess it's been clear for a while that this season is Ajax's to lose, so I guess PSV's loss to AZ means that there will be a real battle for second. :)
The battle for second is going to be rather interesting! AZ started the season poorly but are in much better form now, but AZ is amazing in top matches of which they only have one left to play vs Ajax away, whilst PSV does well against the fodder, there is only fodder left to play for them.

I do see much future for Brobbey, physically he's just a beast. He is so strong, there are few defenders that are a match for him physically, he is also very fast, has great positional awareness for himself and teammates, he is terrific of the ball. When he increases his stamina, he'll be a class striker in and around the box. He doesnt have much of a dribble but he doesn't need it. I think he will earn a place at Leipzig, and if they continue to play good football, in that league, he will score a lot of goals. It seems like in the Bundesliga every other goal is a counter attack, that suits him.

I must say, it is much easier to get going as a young player at Ajax than most clubs. Ajax have a style of play, and they just play terrific football. I think in performance they have been disappointing at times in the bigger matches (PSV/Feyenoord should have beaten us, they were a lot better), but it is such a well drilled side. Youngsters can really show the quality they do have with little to no hindrances.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Pratto, Haps, and Jorgensen won't be a big miss, but if Berghuis and Senesi leave then that's the spine o the team gone. So younger players will have to step up but the money raised from their sales could bring in some players. I'm just trying to be optimistic, the foundation to make Feyenoord challenge again is there it's just that the board have been riding the wave of 16/17 Gio's success till now. They didn't build on that. If we go into the new season with a young squad at least I have faith in Slot to manage them well as he did with AZs young team.
Im really doubtfull about this to be honest.. Feyenoord are really in bad weather financially. I really think the percentage of incoming transfermoney that can be re-invested is very low. Furthermore it doesnt help Feyenoord negotiating their prices that its so well known they really need the money. Berghuis has a agreed fee of 4million euros.. So Im worried for them a) not bringing in a lot of money b) not being able to re-invest much of what they get.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Feyenoord is an utter shambles financially. They've asked fans not to ask for season ticket refunds, because we can't pay them. We slowly crawled back from the abyss the last decade culminating in our first league title a few years back and immediately reverted to the exact mistakes we made before. Incompetence at the youth acadamy and big salaries for garbage players.

Berghuis not included, he earns his salary and is our "vlag op een modderschuit". Not sure what that is in English, maybe @Cheimoon can help. Pole on a dungpile? Flag on a crap mountain?

United Junkie

Feyenoord is an utter shambles financially. They've asked fans not to ask for season ticket refunds, because we can't pay them. We slowly crawled back from the abyss the last decade culminating in our first league title a few years back and immediately reverted to the exact mistakes we made before. Incompetence at the youth acadamy and big salaries for garbage players.

Berghuis not included, he earns his salary and is our "vlag op een modderschuit". Not sure what that is in English, maybe @Cheimoon can help. Pole on a dungpile? Flag on a crap mountain?
How about a shining beacon on a pile of dogshite? And some 'supposed' fans of Feyenoord had the gall to send him hate tweets because he was too 'negative' sounding for a captain after some humiliating defeats.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How about a shining beacon on a pile of dogshite? And some 'supposed' fans of Feyenoord had the gall to send him hate tweets because he was too 'negative' sounding for a captain after some humiliating defeats.
Berghuis can be a bit of a dour cnut to be fair. And he has the odd horror tackle in him.

I'm a big fan though. He's just a really bad loser.

United Junkie

Berghuis can be a bit of a dour cnut to be fair. And he has the odd horror tackle in him.
You mean the last time he lost his shite? Aw, that was nothing. I do that all the time when I play footie with my friends.

I'm a big fan though. He's just a really bad loser.
Which makes him too good to be at Feyenoord. It's being run by losers and it will continue to be run by losers. They seem to be able too find the right trajectory but after some good years and a few throphies they will always resort back to their old way of backwards, inwards and incompetent football policy. They just cant help themselves.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't think Slot will do significantly better with that lot than a proven manager like Advocaat did. Fer's legs are gone and his passing is not good enough to be a holding midfielder. Sinistera has some flair, Toornstra and Linssen are solid, Haps and Geertruida are fine. That's nowhere near enough for a title challenge. The players just aren't good enough.

Over the last couple of years we have wasted millions on so many players that either flopped (Basacikoglu) or we never managed to sell for a profit (Haps, Toornstra). Our scouting is poor, as is our academy. We have been churning out mediocre Eredivisie players: Clasie, Martins Indi, Vilhena, Janmaat.
Our last successful youth product is ... Ake? Wijnaldum? We sold them for a whopping 10 million combined. Ajax would've gotten 50+.

Poorly run club. Begging fans not to ask for their money back is scummy. They'll just waste it on another Basasikoglu or Pratto.

I dislike Berghuis' antics, but we'll have to get used to them. It's either him or that wuss Stengs for RW in the Oranje.

PSV should consider picking up Bazoer or Joey Veerman or maybe buy Propper back. I don't think they can afford Koopmeiners. I can't remember a worse PSV midfield than Rosario and Sangare. They make Hendrix look like Kante.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You mean the last time he lost his shite? Aw, that was nothing. I do that all the time when I play footie with my friends.

Which makes him too good to be at Feyenoord. It's being run by losers and it will continue to be run by losers. They seem to be able too find the right trajectory but after some good years and a few throphies they will always resort back to their old way of backwards, inwards and incompetent football policy. They just cant help themselves.
You wot mate?!?!

Nah, you're right :(

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The battle for second is going to be rather interesting! AZ started the season poorly but are in much better form now, but AZ is amazing in top matches of which they only have one left to play vs Ajax away, whilst PSV does well against the fodder, there is only fodder left to play for them.

I do see much future for Brobbey, physically he's just a beast. He is so strong, there are few defenders that are a match for him physically, he is also very fast, has great positional awareness for himself and teammates, he is terrific of the ball. When he increases his stamina, he'll be a class striker in and around the box. He doesnt have much of a dribble but he doesn't need it. I think he will earn a place at Leipzig, and if they continue to play good football, in that league, he will score a lot of goals. It seems like in the Bundesliga every other goal is a counter attack, that suits him.

I must say, it is much easier to get going as a young player at Ajax than most clubs. Ajax have a style of play, and they just play terrific football. I think in performance they have been disappointing at times in the bigger matches (PSV/Feyenoord should have beaten us, they were a lot better), but it is such a well drilled side. Youngsters can really show the quality they do have with little to no hindrances.
That final paragraph is another reason why the Leipzig move makes sense. They also have a strong tactical system and give youth a chance (well, young up-and-coming players, anyway; I don't know about their own youth).

It's an interesting conundrum Ajax are finding themselves with. To be more competitive internationally, you guys have loosened the purse strings, so you can keep players longer and buy higher-profile players, like Haller. But that creates a risk for your development model, as those players are in the way of the youngsters that otherwise would have had more opportunities to play in those positions. There was a piece in the Volkskrant some weeks ago that this has been an issue recently (I don't remember details), and as I've been saying, I suppose it's one of the reasons behind Brobbey's move. It's something you guys will have to figure out.

:lol:

I don't actually know that one. I'm finding 'it fits as a flag on a broomstick' online, but I feel it rather misses the 'modderschuit' (mud barge).

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't think Slot will do significantly better with that lot than a proven manager like Advocaat did. Fer's legs are gone and his passing is not good enough to be a holding midfielder. Sinistera has some flair, Toornstra and Linssen are solid, Haps and Geertruida are fine. That's nowhere near enough for a title challenge. The players just aren't good enough.

Over the last couple of years we have wasted millions on so many players that either flopped (Basacikoglu) or we never managed to sell for a profit (Haps, Toornstra). Our scouting is poor, as is our academy. We have been churning out mediocre Eredivisie players: Clasie, Martins Indi, Vilhena, Janmaat.
Our last successful youth product is ... Ake? Wijnaldum? We sold them for a whopping 10 million combined. Ajax would've gotten 50+.

Poorly run club. Begging fans not to ask for their money back is scummy. They'll just waste it on another Basasikoglu or Pratto.

I dislike Berghuis' antics, but we'll have to get used to them. It's either him or that wuss Stengs for RW in the Oranje.

PSV should consider picking up Bazoer or Joey Veerman or maybe buy Propper back. I don't think they can afford Koopmeiners. I can't remember a worse PSV midfield than Rosario and Sangare. They make Hendrix look like Kante.
I'm just trying to be optimistic.Slot is a new face in the midst of our crap so maybe a fresh set of eyes can do better with what we have. Free transfers and loans could be vital for us.