Eredivisie 2020-21

Renfurm

Supports
N.E.C.

NEC back in the Eredivisie after finishing 7th in the regular season. Hopefully this time the return will last longer than 1 season

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Pretty nice finish, too!

Periodewinnaars has always been a weird system for access to the playoffs. Even TOP once made it in through one good period in the course of the season. :lol: But clubs usually end up around the top of the.league anyway, and in any case, good for NEC. I'm not sure about history and I think NAC has probably more going for it (certainly a nicer stadium and more lively fans), but somehow I feel like NEC is more of an Eredivisie club.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
More importantly Feyenoord qualified for the conference league after beating Utrecht in the final play off round. Also, Dick Advocaat retired (for real this time). He was in tears.

Renfurm

Supports
N.E.C.
The system definitely has it's flaws. De Graafschap especially are far more deserving of promotion than NEC. But without relegation from the division the bottom half would basically have nothing to play for in the second half of the season if the league wasn't divided into 4 periods.

NAC has spent more seasons in the Eredivisie in total, but I consider these two clubs of similar size and potential. Their fans are indeed much better though. Nuilen is a typical Nijmeegs word and NEC supporters have firmly embraced it. Perhaps NEC feels more like an Eredivisie team for you due to being in the top flight for 20 consecutive years from the mid 90's. That really was the glory period in the club's history. Hopefully now with billionaire supporter Marcel Boekhoorn taking a more active role the same recruitment errors that caused the last two relegations won't be repeated again. It would also be nice to hold onto the best young players for a little while longer.

But as it stands the promotion comes too soon and without proper reinforcement we are favorites for the drop. The really poor teams in Den Haag and VVV are gone and I suspect Cambuur will stay up fairly easy. Willem II will do better next year so I predict a battle with RKC and Go Ahead for 16th place

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The system definitely has it's flaws. De Graafschap especially are far more deserving of promotion than NEC. But without relegation from the division the bottom half would basically have nothing to play for in the second half of the season if the league wasn't divided into 4 periods.

NAC has spent more seasons in the Eredivisie in total, but I consider these two clubs of similar size and potential. Their fans are indeed much better though. Nuilen is a typical Nijmeegs word and NEC supporters have firmly embraced it. Perhaps NEC feels more like an Eredivisie team for you due to being in the top flight for 20 consecutive years from the mid 90's. That really was the glory period in the club's history. Hopefully now with billionaire supporter Marcel Boekhoorn taking a more active role the same recruitment errors that caused the last two relegations won't be repeated again. It would also be nice to hold onto the best young players for a little while longer.

But as it stands the promotion comes too soon and without proper reinforcement we are favorites for the drop. The really poor teams in Den Haag and VVV are gone and I suspect Cambuur will stay up fairly easy. Willem II will do better next year so I predict a battle with RKC and Go Ahead for 16th place
To my mind, both NAC and NEC have been in the Eredivisie for similar periods of time since the 80s (whether or not that's actually true :D ), so I'm not sure what makes me think NEC's statute is higher. I certainly care more about them, having studied in Nijmegen, but that's not much of an argument. :)

I think you can add Fortuna to that list as well. Their season has been like Emmen's last year, but I don't think that necessarily means much for next year. Zwolle might surprise negatively as well, they've had that coming for a bit now I think. But I agree I general. It's also nice for RKC to have some weaker teams coming up, as it might help them survive yet another year. :lol:
More importantly Feyenoord qualified for the conference league after beating Utrecht in the final play off round. Also, Dick Advocaat retired (for real this time). He was in tears.
Congrats on having no summer break I guess? Or how does that work?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
To my mind, both NAC and NEC have been in the Eredivisie for similar periods of time since the 80s (whether or not that's actually true :D ), so I'm not sure what makes me think NEC's statute is higher. I certainly care more about them, having studied in Nijmegen, but that's not much of an argument. :)

I think you can add Fortuna to that list as well. Their season has been like Emmen's last year, but I don't think that necessarily means much for next year. Zwolle might surprise negatively as well, they've had that coming for a bit now I think. But I agree I general. It's also nice for RKC to have some weaker teams coming up, as it might help them survive yet another year. :lol:

Congrats on having no summer break I guess? Or how does that work?
No idea about this Conference League. We have to qualify for it, so I guess we have to play against some obscure teams at some point.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
No idea about this Conference League. We have to qualify for it, so I guess we have to play against some obscure teams at some point.
Im so curious about Feyenoords squad next year.. They need to bring in some money desperately, being in serieous financial issue's currently. Though if you take away the players who still represent some quailty (Senesi, Kokcu, Berghuis) there is so little quality left in the squad. From the looks of it, it als appears Feyenoord cant afford nót to sell Kokcu Senesi and Berghuis)..

With so many players which are/may be leaving:
Defense:
- Senesi (interest bigger clubs)
- Haps (backup to Malacia, only 1 year contract left and he still represents some value)
- Spajic (leaves, was on a loan)
- Botteghin (leaves, end of contract)
- Geertruida (only 1 year contract left and so far doesnt want to extend. Now he still represents some value)
- Nieuwkoop (leaves, end of contract)

That leaves only Malacia are a certain stayer, which is crazy

Midfield:
- Kokcu (interest of bigger clubs)

Players who will likely stay are Fer, Toornstra, Diemers, Texeira, El Bouchataoui. Very likely Guus Till will come in on a loan from Spartak as well.
At least you have the numbers then, but I can imagine its not the quality you are after. Fer is just done if you ask me..

Attack
- Berghuis (4 million release clause (which makes him a bargain honestly), (probably) wants to leave. He is also extremely expensive for Feyenoord in his salary)
- Jorgensen (done at Feyenoord, one year contract left)
- Pratto (leaves, was on loan)

That leaves Linssen Sinisterra, Bozenik, Balde, Conteh
Sinisterra looks like a very good player who really needs to step up, Linssen is decent and reliable in the Eredivisie.. Balde and Conteh are big questionmarks, would be a very nice surprise if one of them will turn out a diamond in the rough.

Perhaps the new coach Arne Slot (who made some impression at AZ in recent years) can convince Geertruida to renew his contract. Perhaps Slot can also get Jorgensen rolling again (in case no real offer for him comes in), but that also seems like idle hope..

I have no clue to what extent Feyenoord can re-invest some of the money they are bringing in, due to the financial situation.. Are there some players in the Eredivisie who could be realistic targets for them in case they have some money to spend?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Im so curious about Feyenoords squad next year.. They need to bring in some money desperately, being in serieous financial issue's currently. Though if you take away the players who still represent some quailty (Senesi, Kokcu, Berghuis) there is so little quality left in the squad. From the looks of it, it als appears Feyenoord cant afford nót to sell Kokcu Senesi and Berghuis)..

Defense:
- Haps (backup to Malacia, only 1 year contract left and he still represents some value)
- Geertruida (only 1 year contract left and so far doesnt want to extend. Now he still represents some value)

Midfield:

Players who will likely stay are Fer, Toornstra, Diemers, Texeira, El Bouchataoui. Very likely Guus Till will come in on a loan from Spartak as well.
At least you have the numbers then, but I can imagine its not the quality you are after. Fer is just done if you ask me..

Attack
- Berghuis (4 million release clause (which makes him a bargain honestly), (probably) wants to leave. He is also extremely expensive for Feyenoord in his salary)

Sinisterra looks like a very good player who really needs to step up, Linssen is decent and reliable in the Eredivisie.. Balde and Conteh are big questionmarks, would be a very nice surprise if one of them will turn out a diamond in the rough.

Perhaps the new coach Arne Slot (who made some impression at AZ in recent years) can convince Geertruida to renew his contract. Perhaps Slot can also get Jorgensen rolling again (in case no real offer for him comes in), but that also seems like idle hope..

I have no clue to what extent Feyenoord can re-invest some of the money they are bringing in, due to the financial situation.. Are there some players in the Eredivisie who could be realistic targets for them in case they have some money to spend?
I think the key is replacing Berghuis if he leaves. He's expensive, but also represents about 70% of our offensive qualities and 100% of our creativity. We should sell Senesi if someone is willing to pay 12-15 million or more I think. Probably same for Kokcu. Who to spend it on though, I have no idea. Our usual strategy of buying midtable Eredivisie stars like Diemers, Linsen, Toornstra etc hasnt proven very successful (though Im a Toornstra fan). Scouting players like Senesi seems like agood, albeit risky strategy. He panned out, but Bozenik for instance, who cost 3.5 million is a complete dud.

I see no realistic way for us to get back to consistently battling for the league title honestly. The most Feyenoord thing ever would be Berghuis having a brilliant euro's and still walking out the door for 4 million due to the clause.

Last edited:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I think the key is replacing Berghuis if he leaves. We should sell Senesi if someone is willing to pay 12-15 million or more I think. Probably same for Kokcu. Who to spend it on though, I have no idea. Our usual strategy of buying midtable Eredivisie stars like Diemers, Linsen, Toornstra etc hasnt proven very successful (though Im a Toornstra fan). Scouting players like Senesi seems like agood, albeit risky strategy. He panned out, but Bozenik for instance, who cost 3.5 million is a complete dud.

I see no realistic way for us to get back to consistently battling for the league title honestly.
You will never find a Berghuis replacement in the market with the budget Feyenoord has, in terms of impact on the team. I would therefore not try to look for a one on one Berghuis replacements, but just bring in players which will allow Slot to play in a certain way he did with AZ. Therewith getting less dependent on a single player in attack. But yeah.. Its all a question of who is available within the budget..

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I think the key is replacing Berghuis if he leaves. He's expensive, but also represents about 70% of our offensive qualities and 100% of our creativity. We should sell Senesi if someone is willing to pay 12-15 million or more I think. Probably same for Kokcu. Who to spend it on though, I have no idea. Our usual strategy of buying midtable Eredivisie stars like Diemers, Linsen, Toornstra etc hasnt proven very successful (though Im a Toornstra fan). Scouting players like Senesi seems like agood, albeit risky strategy. He panned out, but Bozenik for instance, who cost 3.5 million is a complete dud.

I see no realistic way for us to get back to consistently battling for the league title honestly. The most Feyenoord thing ever would be Berghuis having a brilliant euro's and still walking out the door for 4 million due to the clause.
I've been looking a bit on Transfermarkt which contracts are expiring at the end of this season, so who might be tempted to come at a free, but there is not much there.
- Jonas Svensson would definitely be a great catch, but from what I heard he is not interested currently.
- Jordy Clasie is available out there. I dont know how he has been performing, but the link is obvious. If he still has some football in him he could be a good bargain, still only being 29. On the other hand the midfield is where you need players least (in terms of sheer numbers)
- Nasser el Khayati is already 32, but he can still provide Feyenoord with some creativity. I wouldnt be surprised if Feyenoord ends up trying to snatch him up.

For the rest.. Sebastien Holmen, Pleguezuelo, Mokhtar, Misidjan, Propper are the best players in the list, but they are nowhere near good enough for Feyenoord. (apart from Schone, but yeah...)

A player running out of contract you could (in my opinion) take a gamble with is Deroy Duarte. Still only 21 years old. Came very quick, had some ups and downs, never really managed to perform consistently yet for Sparta, but the raw talent is definitely there. If Feyenoord has some money to spend Abdou Harraoui would be a good prospect from the looks of it. Another gamble I was thinking of is Armando Obispo from PSV, who only has one year left. He was always a very good talent in central defense (Aad de Mos rated him over Matthijs de Ligt when both 17). Looks however Roger Schmidt is preferring mediocre superstars at PSV, so if he doesnt renew at PSV he might be available relatively cheap.

Pure namedropping (as I dont think Ive ever watched him a full game in real life) but wouldnt Sidney van Hooijdonk be worth a shot? He is also transferfree this year, only 21, and from what Ive seen he is a similar type of player to his father who gets goals in the back of the net easily. For some reason Maurice Steijn (NAC Coach) really doesnt like/rate him)

I think Feyenoord also really needs some squad depth next year, which they from the looks of it will be really much lacking. If you can get some players in for free like above (admitted, all gambles, all scratched somewhere during their carreer so far), you can put aside and spare some money on players who will really make a difference and can bring you that éxtra quality.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Didn't know you were a prophet, but there you go: your boy Berghuis is being courted by Ajax, while PSV and Wolfsburg are also interested with that measl €4M release clause in place. I imagine Feyenoord fans would be thrilled to see him go to Ajax, and would have only nice things to say next time he's be in De Kuip. In any case, Jorgensen has also said he wants to leave. Slot will have a lot to figure out up front over the summer...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Didn't know you were a prophet, but there you go: your boy Berghuis is being courted by Ajax, while PSV and Wolfsburg are also interested with that measl €4M release clause in place. I imagine Feyenoord fans would be thrilled to see him go to Ajax, and would have only nice things to say next time he's be in De Kuip. In any case, Jorgensen has also said he wants to leave. Slot will have a lot to figure out up front over the summer...
Haha, Ajax would actually be a great move for him, but I doubt he'll do it, because as you say, Feyenoord fans will probably throw a severed pigs head on the pitch next time he's in De Kuip. Wolfsburg would be a better move. Better league, CL and a Dutch coach who will give you minutes.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Defense:

Midfield:

Attack

Linssen/Bozenik
Sinisterra Til ?
Toornstra Bouchataoui
Malacia ? Geertruida Pedersen
Bijlow

Til and Pedersen are confirmed. I'm assuming Geertruida moves to CB. I was quite impressed by Bouchataoui during his debut and that one game he started. I like Texeira as well, but he probably doesn't fit into Slot's system. Fer and Diemers need to be moved on. I don't rate Kokcu but he's a bit better than the two of them.

If Kokcu, Haps, Senesi and Berghuis are sold for a 15-20 million total, I'm sure they'll find a way to invest ~8 million in a CB & RW.

RKC's Touba looked like the best CB in the league outside of the top 5. Ihattaren is strangely enough an affordable option. Tahith Chong maybe? Giakoumakis is probably outside their price range, so I don't see any obvious CF signings other than Henk Veerman. Honestly I thought Linssen up top was fine and Bozenik maybe has some room to improve.

The Feyenoord academy is generally pretty solid and Slot seems more willing than Advocaat to play the kids. Not a bad managerial appointment considering Feyenoord's predicament.

My GF is a PSV fan and half the country is an Ajax fan but the teams that place 3rd-6th interest me way more.

I think the importance of Tannane and Bazoer for Vitesse was overstated, but they're so reliant on loans in general that I don't think they'll consistently finish ahead of Feyenoord. They might lose Ramussen, Openda, Broja in addition to their 2 stars. With Pasveer going to Ajax that could be half their starting XI gone.

I'm not worried for AZ. They always seem to have kids lined up from the academy that are just as good as those leaving.

PSV are in a position where they can land a lot of good players. I just don't think Schmidt is capable of challenging Ajax.

Reactions: Cheimoon