Eredivisie 2021-22

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I figured we'd start this one early this year. The first match weekend is 13-15 August with not a single interesting matchup (as far as we know now, anyway), but it's busy on the transfer front. Some high-profile and interesting ones so far:
  • Berghuis from Feyenoord to Ajax
  • Stengs from AZ to Nice
  • Onana from Ajax to Lyon (close to certain)
  • Schöne from Heerenveen to NEC (not a high-profile player, but he was important for Ajax and it's nice that he got back to his pre-Ajax club to finish his career)
  • Büttner from New England Revolution (released in January) to RKC (well, he was at Man Utd once)
  • Pereira from Man Utd to RKC (free transfer after his various loans)
So, predictions? It's going to be between Ajax, AZ, and PSV again at the top, but unless Ajaz lose some key players before the season starts, I can't see past them for the title (yet again). It might be close between AZ and PSV for second though - and who knows there will be a surprise. (Vitesse?)

There are lots of candidates for the drop for me: RKC (who have been hanging on by their teeth), Willem II, Sparta, Fortuna, Zwolle, and all the new clubs (NEC Cambuur, Go Ahead). From that perspective, it might be a relatively low-quality season, but let's see!

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
AZ seens like they are selling Stengs, Boadu, Koopmeiners., Svensson is gone already. Midtsjo and Wijndal could leave as well, even if they have some incoming transfers after this, I think they'll be severely weakened and won't challenge PSV/Ajax at all.

Ajax seem to be favourites, Madueke has been immense in pre season for PSV, looks like he kicked it up a notch. But I wonder how Malen, Dumfries will be replaced. Seems like Vertessen kinda replaces Malen en Teze replace Dumfries, both downgrades in the positions they now occupy. Van Ginkel is going to be huge for them though, still a fantastic player.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
AZ seens like they are selling Stengs, Boadu, Koopmeiners., Svensson is gone already. Midtsjo and Wijndal could leave as well, even if they have some incoming transfers after this, I think they'll be severely weakened and won't challenge PSV/Ajax at all.

Ajax seem to be favourites, Madueke has been immense in pre season for PSV, looks like he kicked it up a notch. But I wonder how Malen, Dumfries will be replaced. Seems like Vertessen kinda replaces Malen en Teze replace Dumfries, both downgrades in the positions they now occupy. Van Ginkel is going to be huge for them though, still a fantastic player.
I have been following the rumours at all, I just see it on Teletekst when players are sold. Yeah, of AZ lose all of those, they have a tough year ahead. Is it known yet where any of them are going? (Also Malen and Dumfries.) I have hopes for all the Dutch ones in that list to play a role in the national squad in the future, so I hope they'll have good transfers. (I.e., not out of sight, and not to a top club to do a Van de Beek.)

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I have been following the rumours at all, I just see it on Teletekst when players are sold. Yeah, of AZ lose all of those, they have a tough year ahead. Is it known yet where any of them are going? (Also Malen and Dumfries.) I have hopes for all the Dutch ones in that list to play a role in the national squad in the future, so I hope they'll have good transfers. (I.e., not out of sight, and not to a top club to do a Van de Beek.)
Malen to Dortmund seems like it will happen
Dumfries to Everton or Inter I think.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Malen to Dortmund seems like it will happen
Dumfries to Everton or Inter I think.
Yeah, I heard about Dumfries and Everton. Not sure where that's at now they hired Benitez; what does he want with a wingback? Malen to Dortmund sounds great. Sancho replacement? But doesn't he occupy the same position as Haaland?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
AZ will have a really tough time with plans to sell 4 or so first team players.

That said there are some terrific prospects coming through Taabouni in particular

VanDeBank

Ma’am
PSV are in a position where they can land a lot of good players. I just don't think Schmidt is capable of challenging Ajax.
I'm going to have to revise my opinion on this.

Schmidt was relentlessly defending Rosario and Sangare last season, I almost believed him :lol:
The fact that he bought Propper back and will likely make Van Ginkel captain indicates that he knows RoseGare aren't good enough as a pair.

PSV's midfield and attack look classy and can def match Ajax's. I'm not convinced by their defense, but maybe Schmidt's pressing machine can keep them out of trouble. I'm expecting them to close the gap with Ajax quite a bit, which is what I want to see as a neutral.

Feyenoord is looking at Brighton's Jahanbakhsh as a Berghuis replacement, after failing to get Chong or Dilrosun. Not excluding domestic clubs for that 4 million buyout clause is a massive feck up on their part. With how many players AZ and Vitesse are losing, I think Feyenoord will finish top 4.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Yeah, I heard about Dumfries and Everton. Not sure where that's at now they hired Benitez; what does he want with a wingback? Malen to Dortmund sounds great. Sancho replacement? But doesn't he occupy the same position as Haaland?
Dumfries isn't necessarily a wingback, he always plays as a rightback.

Malen seems a Sancho replacement but really isn't in style. But like Aubameyang he can play as a striker and from the wing. Dortmund might want to use him for the coming season as winger and then as striker when Haaland leaves.

I'm going to have to revise my opinion on this.

Schmidt was relentlessly defending Rosario and Sangare last season, I almost believed him :lol:
The fact that he bought Propper back and will likely make Van Ginkel captain indicates that he knows RoseGare aren't good enough as a pair.

PSV's midfield and attack look classy and can def match Ajax's. I'm not convinced by their defense, but maybe Schmidt's pressing machine can keep them out of trouble. I'm expecting them to close the gap with Ajax quite a bit, which is what I want to see as a neutral.

Feyenoord is looking at Brighton's Jahanbakhsh as a Berghuis replacement, after failing to get Chong or Dilrosun. Not excluding domestic clubs for that 4 million buyout clause is a massive feck up on their part. With how many players AZ and Vitesse are losing, I think Feyenoord will finish top 4.
Klaassen, Gravenberch, Kudus/Alvarez to me is still quite a bit better than Sangare, Van Ginkel, Gotze where Gotze seems to be playing as rather a 2nd striker.

Berghuis and Tadic are the two best wingers in the league, vs Madueke and Gakpo (both very talentful and I can envision Madueke soaring this year).

Haller isn't great, but more prolific than Zahavi.

I think Ajax is still quite a bit better but I'm probably biased.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Dumfries isn't necessarily a wingback, he always plays as a rightback.

Malen seems a Sancho replacement but really isn't in style. But like Aubameyang he can play as a striker and from the wing. Dortmund might want to use him for the coming season as winger and then as striker when Haaland leaves.

Klaassen, Gravenberch, Kudus/Alvarez to me is still quite a bit better than Sangare, Van Ginkel, Gotze where Gotze seems to be playing as rather a 2nd striker.

Berghuis and Tadic are the two best wingers in the league, vs Madueke and Gakpo (both very talentful and I can envision Madueke soaring this year).

Fair enough, I just think there isn't as much difference between the lot compared to the players at the back.

What are your thoughts on Rensch? LvG seems to prefer 5-3-2 and with Wijndal and Van Aanholt disappointing at the euros that left wingback spot is up for grabs, unless Jetro Willems pops up somewhere with that terrific form he had at Newcastle...

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Great to see the spirit of LVG's United reserves living on through RKC Waalwijk.

Joel Pereira, Alex Büttner and Rene Meultensteen's kid. There's going to be more philosophy coming out of there than 5th century BC Athens. :drool:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Feyenoord's base isn't taking Berghuis' move well. I expect a few severed pigs heads in his near future. Personally I'm happy for him. Should be a nice change of pace for him, team mates who actually know how to kick a ball.

Interestingly we seem to be in for Alireeza Jahanbaksh (not arsed looking up the exact spelling). He would be a great replacement. Sure, he didn't make it in the pl, but neither did Berghuis.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Rose is a fan of the 4-diamond-2. As far as I know he used it for most of the games in Salzburg and at Gladbach he initially tried it as well, though had to make some adjustments, because with Bundesliga's FB/WBs usually committing in to attack he got overrun on the wings. So the plan is probably something asymmetrical, with Malen in a sort of a second stiker/winger hybrid role (like Werner at Leipzig) and one of the more creative players on the other side to feed him and Haaland.
And in addition they are looking for a young dribbler and are actually showing interest in Madueke as well (to the point where his father was supposedly photographed taking a tour around their training ground), but lately it seems like PSV either don't want to sell at all or doubled their asking price to €30m, depending on what reports you want to believe.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Would be hilarious if someone pays 30 million for Dumfries on the back of 3 matches in the Euro's. He's shite :lol:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Fair enough, I just think there isn't as much difference between the lot compared to the players at the back.

What are your thoughts on Rensch? LvG seems to prefer 5-3-2 and with Wijndal and Van Aanholt disappointing at the euros that left wingback spot is up for grabs, unless Jetro Willems pops up somewhere with that terrific form he had at Newcastle...
I think Rensch is very good, he could have a Timber like effect. I would have rather played with Timber dan de Ligt but because of status you can never do that. Rensch is another player who seems never impressed by stage and opposition and just makes a lot of clever decisions and is just a very good baller.

Him not being left-footed makes me think he won't be an option for LWB. I think Van Gaal would play Blind or Ake there.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Would be hilarious if someone pays 30 million for Dumfries on the back of 3 matches in the Euro's. He's shite :lol:
I'll admit to being one of the muppets who got excited by the idea of having a right back who doesn't seem to get a nosebleed from passing the halfway line as well as AWB.

I should have learned my lesson when we got marauding left back Marcos Rojo after the 2014 World Cup. :(

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I also think Ajax have a superior first team and squad. The difference may not be that big, but Ajax have the added advantage of being a well-oiled machine that can simply continue their formula from the past few years. Schmidt will really have to step up his game compared to last year's performance if he wants to properly challenge Ajax.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I also think Ajax have a superior first team and squad. The difference may not be that big, but Ajax have the added advantage of being a well-oiled machine that can simply continue their formula from the past few years. Schmidt will really have to step up his game compared to last year's performance if he wants to properly challenge Ajax.
I think PSV's squad can match Ajax's in the more attacking positions:

Zahavi (Luuk de Jong?)
Gakpo, Vertessen
Madueke, Ihattaren
Götze, Thomas
Van Ginkel, Propper, Mauro jr.

Haller, (Tadic false 9?)
Tadic, Neres
Berghuis, Antony
Klaassen, Kudus
Gravenberch, Ekkelenkamp

Ajax's strongest front 3 on paper Tadic, Haller, Berghuis, lacks a lot of pace. Ten Hag's not going to play like that in big games. Benching Berghuis seems like the easiest solution.

The PSV defense is a different story. Big question marks for all these players honestly:

Max Boscagli Ramalho Teze
Drommel
Not sure what Ajax's strongest line up will be, as they're still on the market, but I'd rather have this one:

Blind Martinez Timber Rensch
Pasveer

Last season had a 16 point gap. I'm predicting Schmidt will cut it down by half.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Last season had a 16 point gap. I'm predicting Schmidt will cut it down by half.
I'd certainly hope so. PSV's first team and squad are well ahead of everyone else's outside Ajax, and I'd say Schmidt underperformed last year with the way PSV were dropping points against weaker opposition, especially in the first half of the season. If he can get that dealt with, they're ready to go head to head with Ajax. After all, they play Ajax only twice.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Ajax has an insanely strong squad this year if you ask me.. Very much depth also in quality for Eredvisie standards. Only the goalkeepers are a bit unsure with Stekelenburg and Pasveer haven shook hands with Fred Flintstone and Jay Gorter coming from a lower league and still being very young.

Goalkeepers
Maarten Stekelenburg
Remko Pasveer
Jay Gorter

Defenders
Noussair Mazraoui
Devyne Rensch
Jurrien Timber
Perr Schuurs
Lisandro Martinez
Nico Tagliafico
(Daley Blind)

Midfielders
Edson Alvarez
Mohamed Kudus
Ryan Gravenberch
Kenneth Taylor
Davy Klaassen
(Daley Blind)

Forwards
Dusan Tadic
Sebastian Haller
Steven Berghuis
David Neres
Antony
(Danilo)

Already sold: Scherpen, Eiting, Traore
To be sold: Labyad, Klaiber, Ekkelenkamp, Onana, (Danilo), Magallan

I think they are only still looking for another winger and would prefer to move on David Neres in that case..

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Brighton paid 5 million for Kjell Scherpen making him possibly the most overpriced player in history. Shocking transfer.

Last edited:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Feyenoord did some great business with Jahanbaksch.. Wouldnt have deemed that feasible for them, but I actually dont think it weakens them much..

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Feyenoord did some great business with Jahanbaksch.. Wouldnt have deemed that feasible for them, but I actually dont think it weakens them much..
I could hardly believe it when the rumours started. Of course it's not a given he will achieve the level het had at AZ, but I couldn't have hoped for a better replacement for Berghuis.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
  • Berghuis from Feyenoord to Ajax
Woah! That's a controversial move. Isn't this a bit like United signing Liverpool's talisman and captain for peanuts? How do Feyenoord fans feel about that one? Has someone burned his shirt yet?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Woah! That's a controversial move. Isn't this a bit like United signing Liverpool's talisman and captain for peanuts? How do Feyenoord fans feel about that one? Has someone burned his shirt yet?
Yeah, it's exactly like that. Though the difference in quality and finances between Ajax and Feyenoord is huge at the moment. So I suppose it would be more like United signing Bamford or Kelvin Phillips.

I think there will be a lot of shirt burning and flying lighters next Feyenoord Ajax. Personally I'm chuffed for him, he deserves a few years of playing for a good team. I'm not nearly as tribal as most fans though. Much to the chagrin of all my Ajax supporting mates who keep texting me and trying to goad me into flying into a rage.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
@KirkDuyt already responded, but I'll just add that I didn't make more of it on the OP since we've already been talking about it in the 2020-21 and Euros threads. So it's old news by now. ;)

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Chants and banners with not so thinly veiled death threats in the stadium... I think Berghuis kissing the Feyenoord crest after every goal and him having had options abroad certainly aren't doing him any favours.

Still, these amoebas should be (but won't be) prosecuted.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Joel Periera has been described by Hearts and Hibs fans as the worst goalkeeper they’ve seen.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Feyenoord "fans" are starting to show their lack of a brain regarding the Berghuis transfer. Some disgusting banners and chants going around already.

Sad to say, I'm not surprised.

Shite is a bit harsh
Yeah ok, fair enough. He's not really a 30 million player though if you ask me. He has lungs of steel and is very tenacious, but he's technically rubbish and his crossing is poor.

Last edited:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Regarding Berghuis..

Feyenoord "fans" are starting to show their lack of a brain regarding the Berghuis transfer. Some disgusting banners and chants going around already.

Sad to say, I'm not surprised.

The last banner "Polletje, Peter R, Berghuis" is simply nothing less than a death threat.. And it should be fully treated as such by the police..

Regarding Dumfries..

Yeah ok, fair enough. He's not really a 30 million player though if you ask me. He has lungs of steel and is very tenacious, but he's technically rubbish and his crossing is poor.
Regarding Dumfries..

Dumfries is technically a horrible players, so if you have a system where he would receive the ball in build-up, he isnt an ideal option...

What surprised me about him actually during the euro's is that apparently his timing for making runs is very good, which is crucial for a wingback in a 532/352.. In such a system you dont need that much more than having lungs of steel, being tenacious and having good timing.. Its basically the combination of those 3 features which makes a player like Hateboer a very good wingback for Atalanta.. (and Hateboer was horrible always for NL when he played rightback in a back 4..)

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Regarding Dumfries..

Dumfries is technically a horrible players, so if you have a system where he would receive the ball in build-up, he isnt an ideal option...

What surprised me about him actually during the euro's is that apparently his timing for making runs is very good, which is crucial for a wingback in a 532/352.. In such a system you dont need that much more than having lungs of steel, being tenacious and having good timing.. Its basically the combination of those 3 features which makes a player like Hateboer a very good wingback for Atalanta.. (and Hateboer was horrible always for NL when he played rightback in a back 4..)
Good analysis of the wingback position. Still, having a player that that has the energy to sprint back and make tackles inside his own box is a boon for any manager.

He seems like a nightmare to play against. Super physical, up in your face and goes up and down the pitch constantly. He'll net any team he plays for a 5-10 goals a season with those headers and stumbles into the box.

I don't think he has room to improve. He's technically shite. He'll always have a poor cross and the occasional bad touch that sees the ball going over the sideline.

Speaking of wingbacks, I'm curious who will play on the left under LVG. The preliminary squad will be out in two weeks and they're playing Norway, Montenegro and Turkey in the first week of September for the world cup qualification.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Malen to Dortmund official now:
€30M according to Teletekst (the god of Dutch news sources - obviously).

Rosario's departure to Nice has also become official on the meantime.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Meanwhile.. Wijndal, Boadu and Koopmeiners are still at AZ, and Dumfries is still at PSV. Neres Onana and Tagliafico are still at Ajax.. I wonder whether the market just still needs to get rolling or whether it will be a quiet window due to clubs having to recover from the covid period..

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Meanwhile.. Wijndal, Boadu and Koopmeiners are still at AZ, and Dumfries is still at PSV. Neres Onana and Tagliafico are still at Ajax.. I wonder whether the market just still needs to get rolling or whether it will be a quiet window due to clubs having to recover from the covid period..
I thought Boadu was sold as well, how did I get that idea. Wasn't there a French club in for him?

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I thought Boadu was sold as well, how did I get that idea. Wasn't there a French club in for him?
There have been rumours I think about Lyon and Monaco (and now Nice..?), but he is still at AZ..

What about Feyenoord? Any concrete rumours about Seneci and Kokcu? And has Geertruida renewed his contract already.. thought he had only one year left? Good thing that at least Bijlow and Malacia look to be going nowhere..

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
There have been rum

There have been rumours I think about Lyon and Monaco (and now Nice..?), but he is still at AZ..

What about Feyenoord? Any concrete rumours about Seneci and Kokcu? And has Geertruida renewed his contract already.. thought he had only one year left? Good thing that at least Bijlow and Malacia look to be going nowhere..
I think everyone will stay honestly. Though if we can get a good price for Kokcu I'd move him on. He's a worse Vilhena to me and I doubt he will just become less valuable over time.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I think everyone will stay honestly. Though if we can get a good price for Kokcu I'd move him on. He's a worse Vilhena to me and I doubt he will just become less valuable over time.
He definitely needs to step up his game to prove he is the talent he is often claimed to be right now.. I like him as a player, but he disappears too often still in games where Feyenoord needs someone to step up.. Im really wondering and hoping Slot will be able to get the best out of him..

Something I really dont understand actually is why Feyenoord just arent getting Joshua Zirkzee on a loan from Bayern.. Win Win Win.

Then you have Linssen, Sinisterra, Jahanbaksh, Zirkzee, Bozenik, with Bannis, Conteh, Balde are other options.. Looks decent enough given the financial possibilities of Feyenoord right now...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He definitely needs to step up his game to prove he is the talent he is often claimed to be right now.. I like him as a player, but he disappears too often still in games where Feyenoord needs someone to step up.. Im really wondering and hoping Slot will be able to get the best out of him..

Something I really dont understand actually is why Feyenoord just arent getting Joshua Zirkzee on a loan from Bayern.. Win Win Win.

Then you have Linssen, Sinisterra, Jahanbaksh, Zirkzee, Bozenik, with Bannis, Conteh, Balde are other options.. Looks decent enough given the financial possibilities of Feyenoord right now...
It seems like a no brainer, but from what I've seen of Zirkzee, he seems hardly better than what we have. And that's not just because of that comic miss against Ajax.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
It seems like a no brainer, but from what I've seen of Zirkzee, he seems hardly better than what we have. And that's not just because of that comic miss against Ajax.
But the guy who they are working on right now from Sporting also doesnt seem like a certain success given his past accomplishments.. And he apparently costs 4 million euros.. Zirkzee will cost way less overall I reckon and at least gives you options besides Bannis/Bozenik..

Arnesen basically said the money is dried out now they got Trauner and it doesnt look like there are going to be big sells (assuming Senesi and Kokcu stay).. I think they are still trying to make some money selling Haps and Diemers to make some room in the wage budget at least for some loans/free transfers..

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I can’t see AZ holding out much longer on Koopmeiners and Wijdnal interest from too many clubs. Hopefully generating a decent fee. My worry is covid will mean sub €20-25 m prices for both.