Eredivisie 2021-22

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Remember how those games last year were against such teams... Dreadful to watch..

Haha thats a very bold statement
Haha, yes. I must have watched a total of 3 Feyenoord games last season. I can finally relate to being a Feyenoord fan now though.
We're already achieving similar results at United, but we've now hit the level of football Feyenoord was known for these last couple of years.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Haha thats a very bold statement
Rather Hiddink to save the season!

Anyway.

I know Advocaat's performance last-year was sub-par, but I'm wondering where to put Slot's performance this year. Is he overperforming with the squad, or is this there 'expected performance' based on talent, and is there yet another gear to come once Slot has really implemented his ideas? (He hasn't even been at Feyenoord half a year yet, after all.)

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Rather Hiddink to save the season!

Anyway.

I know Advocaat's performance last-year was sub-par, but I'm wondering where to put Slot's performance this year. Is he overperforming with the squad, or is this there 'expected performance' based on talent, and is there yet another gear to come once Slot has really implemented his ideas? (He hasn't even been at Feyenoord half a year yet, after all.)
He his overperforming no doubt mainly due to the fact the squad has been all over the place the last few years and then losing our best player, it felt like it could be a couple of years before we could challenge the top 2 again but Slot has brought in a few players that suit his style and we've stepped up from last season conaiderably.

I remember the game away at Gronigen last year, one of the worst games I've ever seen in my life, that was was Dick at his limpest, so to speak. Night and day from this season. I just pray we get that UCL spot, get some money and really really back Slot.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He his overperforming no doubt mainly due to the fact the squad has been all over the place the last few years and then losing our best player, it felt like it could be a couple of years before we could challenge the top 2 again but Slot has brought in a few players that suit his style and we've stepped up from last season conaiderably.

I remember the game away at Gronigen last year, one of the worst games I've ever seen in my life, that was was Dick at his limpest, so to speak. Night and day from this season. I just pray we get that UCL spot, get some money and really really back Slot.
Exciting times! Will be fun if Feyenoord can be up there consistenly again. The more competition for the top spot, the better!

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
We actually started very well this match then conceded that dumb goal, got a great goal back then Til decided to channel his inner Berghuis. Still bit weird that the ref allows his linesman to overrule him from 27 kilometers away.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
We actually started very well this match then conceded that dumb goal, got a great goal back then Til decided to channel his inner Berghuis. Still bit weird that the ref allows his linesman to overrule him from 27 kilometers away.
Tough place to come and play and these lot are complete shithouses, I had a feeling there'd be a red in this game. Apart from the two brainfart moments we've been good.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Tough place to come and play and these lot are complete shithouses, I had a feeling there'd be a red in this game. Apart from the two brainfart moments we've been good.
Don't talk about shithousing. I saw Feyenoord using some tricks they learnt from Atletico :lol:

As a neutral it's entertaining as hell. Good luck keeping the point.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Denied a goal by lack of var. Obviously over the line. The defender heads it forward and it hits the crossbar.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
What's interesting about Feyenoord is how versatile they are. Very effective at pressing but also parking the bus like we saw now and against PSV and it seems they've improved quite a bit on the ball as well.

Their back up goalkeeper is a joke. They'd have won this game with 10 men if it included Bijlow.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
We are now virtually past Portugal on the coefficient in 2024. If we can keep ahead of them we will have 2 direct CL tickets by then. This is a bit of a freak season though. With a bit of luck we will have all our teams in Europe after the winter break, though PSV and Vitesse are not there yet, Ajax, AZ and Feyenoord all won their group.

The Conference league is great for us. "big" teams like Spurs feel too superior for it (no idea why, I guess they want to focus on being irrelevant in all other competition), but the coefficient points are the same for a win.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Kicker and Bild both report that Schmidt is the top name on Leipzig's shortlist. Bild even go so far as to claim they already had contact and Schmidt promised to make a decision by next Sunday.
Is there actually a chance that PSV would let him out of his contract over Christmas?

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Kicker and Bild both report that Schmidt is the top name on Leipzig's shortlist. Bild even go so far as to claim they already had contact and Schmidt promised to make a decision by next Sunday.
Is there actually a chance that PSV would let him out of his contract over Christmas?
Last season:
  • Lost first knockout game of the europa league against Olympiakos
  • Finished 16 points off top
  • No cup
This season:
  • Failed to qualify for the CL
  • 3rd place in the league, 2 points off top
  • Must draw Real Sociedad away to finished 2nd in the Europa League groups
I think he'll leave if he loses to Sociedad on Thursday.
I don't think fans would mind. @Eendracht maakt macht thoughts?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Last season:
  • Lost first knockout game of the europa league against Olympiakos
  • Finished 16 points off top
  • No cup
This season:
  • Failed to qualify for the CL
  • 3rd place in the league, 2 points off top
  • Must draw Real Sociedad away to finished 2nd in the Europa League groups
I think he'll leave if he loses to Sociedad on Thursday.
I don't think fans would mind. @Eendracht maakt macht thoughts?
The two sides of this coin are that Schmidt might not be getting a consistent top-level performance out of this PSV squad; but that he's not too far off and it's not clear who could come in and do better. Except if PSV have already identified a potentially awesome successor to Schmidt, giving him up would be a giant gamble for PSV.

As for who could replace Schmidt - within the Netherlands, maybe Vitesse's Thomas Letsch or AZ's Pascal Jansen? Leitsch has Vitesse playing good football and performing well, and while Jansen is not having a great this season, it has to be kept in mind that he lost almost all of his key players at once. He otherwise seemed to be a carbon copy of Arne Slot last season - although I don't really know too much about him, maybe he is also messing things up himself this season.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Actually, updated from @stefan92:
In other news: Roger Schmidt was allegedly the preferred option to replace Marsch, but now confirmed he will stay at PSV Eindhoven and won't leave in the middle of the season. So the search continues.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
@VanDeBank @Cheimoon

The perception of Schmidt differs widely within our fanbase. Personally I think he's quite a good manager. PSV came from very far before he arrived. People seem to have forgotten how god awful we were under van Bommel. First year he gets us second and this year we are still in the race with having absolutely awful luck with injuries. We play attractive football at the moment with high pressing and players seem to develop under him. Also he seems to help us in landing great players (Sangare, Götze) but that would be less of an advantage for a side like Leipzig I suppose. I would like him to stay. That's partly fuelled by the fact that I don't see any good alternative to him at the moment.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
@VanDeBank @Cheimoon

The perception of Schmidt differs widely within our fanbase. Personally I think he's quite a good manager. PSV came from very far before he arrived. People seem to have forgotten how god awful we were under van Bommel. First year he gets us second and this year we are still in the race with having absolutely awful luck with injuries. We play attractive football at the moment with high pressing and players seem to develop under him. Also he seems to help us in landing great players (Sangare, Götze) but that would be less of an advantage for a side like Leipzig I suppose. I would like him to stay. That's partly fuelled by the fact that I don't see any good alternative to him at the moment.
Cheers for that!

While we (well, I) are on the topic: what does anyone following them think of Letsch (Vitesse), Jansen (AZ), or Hake (Utrecht)? Any of them a good candidate for a step up to the top three if a job were to free up?

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Cheers for that!

While we (well, I) are on the topic: what does anyone following them think of Letsch (Vitesse), Jansen (AZ), or Hake (Utrecht)? Any of them a good candidate for a step up to the top three if a job were to free up?
Would be very unhappy with any of them. Wasn’t impressed with Jansen at Jong PSV. Hake shouldn’t even been in consideration. Of those three Letsch might be the best but havent exactly set the world on fire with Vitesse. Done OK though. I don’t see anyone in de Eredivisie (apart from Slot and Ten Hag of course) that I would like to see at PSV. Definitely wouldn’t rank any of them above Schmidt.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Would be very unhappy with any of them. Wasn’t impressed with Jansen at Jong PSV. Hake shouldn’t even been in consideration. Of those three Letsch might be the best but havent exactly set the world on fire with Vitesse. Done OK though. I don’t see anyone in de Eredivisie (apart from Slot and Ten Hag of course) that I would like to see at PSV. Definitely wouldn’t rank any of them above Schmidt.
I had the impression Letsch did very well last season, but it tailed off near the end and it's not been as positive this year. I was reading that he employed a system that was new to the Eredivisie, so maybe what we're seeing is that people have figured it out and hence Vitesse are again just a good subtop team.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I had the impression Letsch did very well last season, but it tailed off near the end and it's not been as positive this year. I was reading that he employed a system that was new to the Eredivisie, so maybe what we're seeing is that people have figured it out and hence Vitesse are again just a good subtop team.
His Red Bull esque style in a 5-3-2 formation is still very effective. Their squad is weaker:
  • top scorer Broja was Chelsea's and earned himself a loan to Southampton. Ghobo from Rennes isn't nearly as good.
  • Pasveer went to Ajax and he was the best GK in the league last season. Schubert is terrible
  • Tannane dropped to the reserves for being an idiot and he was one of their star players last season
Apart from Wittek, Openda and Bazoer they're very average.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I think he is doing very well, also looking at how he is doing in Europe.. I havent followed/seen Vitesse enough to really make a sound judgement about his impact. Vitesse basically always comes in 5th or 6th.. Last year they were 4th I think. This year they are in the same region on the table, but the way they present themselves in Europe stands out.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
In other news... Marc Overmars looks to be going nowhere anytime soon. Ecstatic about it really.. Would rather keep Overmars for another 10 years without Ten Hag, then Ten Hag another 10 years without Overmars..

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I think he is doing very well, also looking at how he is doing in Europe.. I havent followed/seen Vitesse enough to really make a sound judgement about his impact. Vitesse basically always comes in 5th or 6th.. Last year they were 4th I think. This year they are in the same region on the table, but the way they present themselves in Europe stands out.
Vitesse should've drawn against Rennes but no VAR meant a foul wasn't seen in the leadup to one of Rennes' goals.
They're tied head to head with Tottenham, but 2 goals down on overall goal difference. Last day has them playing vs Mura, while Tottenham play Rennes.

AZ and Feyenoord are already through :boring:

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Vitesse should've drawn against Rennes but no VAR meant a foul wasn't seen in the leadup to one of Rennes' goals.
They're tied head to head with Tottenham, but 2 goals down on overall goal difference. Last day has them playing vs Mura, while Tottenham play Rennes.

AZ and Feyenoord are already through :boring:
You have a problem with us going through? :D. Vitesse are a well run club and have steadily built a structure where,if they lose a few players they already know how to replace them and they go again.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
G
Hahaha, I guess we do have a few cocky fans. Good for you mate, but I'm quite positive Ajax will wipe the floor with us :lol:
Getting close, just arrived home. Ajax and Steven better be ready for the Sloty boys. :devil:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You have a problem with us going through? :D. Vitesse are a well run club and have steadily built a structure where,if they lose a few players they already know how to replace them and they go again.
No, just that your last game will probably be boring and I'd rather watch Vitesse. I heard Mike Kleijn will be in the match day squad for Feyenoord. He's also in the Dutch youth squads and one of the biggest talents in Feyenoord's academy. Your u18's in general is very good. They drew Ajax's u18 not too long ago. It's the u21s where the big discrepancy is.

Letsch would be a great successor to Slot btw.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
In other news... Marc Overmars looks to be going nowhere anytime soon. Ecstatic about it really.. Would rather keep Overmars for another 10 years without Ten Hag, then Ten Hag another 10 years without Overmars..

That's great for you guys. :)

I read yesterday, though, that Ajax's wage bill was €95M last season. I guess it's the conundrum that you have to pay that kind of money to be able to be competitive in the CL - but it also means that not reaching the CL (e.g., if you get overtaken by both Feyenoord and PSV this year) would be disastrous financially. Or do you have large reserves?

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
That's great for you guys. :)

I read yesterday, though, that Ajax's wage bill was €95M last season. I guess it's the conundrum that you have to pay that kind of money to be able to be competitive in the CL - but it also means that not reaching the CL (e.g., if you get overtaken by both Feyenoord and PSV this year) would be disastrous financially. Or do you have large reserves?
There are some reserves, Ajax has a lot of equity at hand which they have built up over the years.. However Ajax is indeed - as you state - budgetting for Champions League football, so if another teams becomes Champions and Ajax fails to qualify for Champions League that will immediately cause a big gap in that years budget. Wont be disastrous immediately, but it's definitely a risk they are taking.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Rumours that City want Ten Hag now. Ajacieden saying sure, as long as Pep moves the opposite way.

Pep at Ajax, now that would be funny.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Rumours that City want Ten Hag now. Ajacieden saying sure, as long as Pep moves the opposite way.

Pep at Ajax, now that would be funny.
I suppose the 'now' refers to it being new rumours, not City wanting Ten Hag right now...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
You suppose correctly. It's also rubbish probably.
Doesn't Pep still have a contract for a few years? Or what's his situation?

Though I guess the weirdo might just call it a day if he'd manage to win the CL and go on another sabbatical. :)

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Rensch playing in the reserves is such a waste of talent (he's regressed so much playing there) and Mazraoui leaving for free is an even bigger waste.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
PSV at the top, and it's all thanks to Drommel :drool:

I've pulled this old cow out of the ditch:
No way PSV would want Pasveer as first keeper. That doesn’t make any sense at all. Drommel is much younger so they see him af the future. Drommel was brilliant first halve of the season.