Eredivisie 2022/23

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yes. But going behind against 10 men in extra time, then coming back and scoring the "winning" 4-3 in the 118th minute only to concede the 4-4 (against 10 fecking men) in the 119th minute was a bit ehh.

Fun fact, we had 50 shots, which is the most ever since Dutch football starting counting this stat. NEC's reserve keeper Branderhorst was absolutely amazing though. Like Noppert, who's sudden international career is mostly down to his away performance against Feyenoord he turned in to a sort of goalkeeping God.

Luckely all our 5 penalties were near perfect.
Pity for Branderhorst the WC has already taken place then!

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Xavi Simons is the best player i've seen play for PSV since Arjen Robben.

facchiano

Hard fought win for Feyenoord. AZ lost the momentum they had in the first half with their pressing.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's basically in the bag, allow yourself to live a little!
Yes we "just" have to not lose to Ajax away in a few weeks and given our track record in De ArenA those 3 points are practically in the bag!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yes we "just" have to not lose to Ajax away in a few weeks and given our track record in De ArenA those 3 points are practically in the bag!
See, name on the trophy.

I'll note that I don't believe in jinxes, so I'm just having some dumb fun. :wenger:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Neither do I. Imagine the power you'd wield if you could actually jinx things.
And how would it work with half the internet jinxing one thing or another at any given time. Someone must be really making overtime striking them all out against each other to see what's left. But maybe they'd also have to take into account the quality and honesty of the jinx. Not a job I'd want.

King Kendrick

@KirkDuyt have you changed your mind on Orkun’s top level? I haven’t been able to watch any Feyenoord games recently, but the advanced metrics are showing he’s still cruising. Interested to get your take on it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
@KirkDuyt have you changed your mind on Orkun’s top level? I haven’t been able to watch any Feyenoord games recently, but the advanced metrics are showing he’s still cruising. Interested to get your take on it.
Remind me again, what did I say his top level would be? :nervous:

I think he'd do well in Germany or Spain, a bit below the top. I'm still not convinced he's quick on the ball enough to play on the absolute highest level.

On the other hand, he might adept to that too, because he's definitely better than what I though he'd be a few years ago amd he's still very young. He's added goals to his game now as well and is maturing in his behaviour on the pitch, though he still gets a few really silly yellow cards for losing his head sometimes.

Bottomline it's impressive that he is our captain in a rather successful Feyenoord team at this age.

King Kendrick

Remind me again, what did I say his top level would be? :nervous:

I think he'd do well in Germany or Spain, a bit below the top. I'm still not convinced he's quick on the ball enough to play on the absolute highest level.

On the other hand, he might adept to that too, because he's definitely better than what I though he'd be a few years ago amd he's still very young. He's added goals to his game now as well and is maturing in his behaviour on the pitch, though he still gets a few really silly yellow cards for losing his head sometimes.

Bottomline it's impressive that he is our captain in a rather successful Feyenoord team at this age.
Appreciate it! You basically said the same last time, mid Prem. One of your complaints was inconsistency, but I figured if the man is still putting up ungodly advanced metrics maybe he’s ironed it out. Havent seen a Feyenoord game since essentially the WC restart to confirm with my own eyes. 22, Feyenoord captain, would seem like an extremely smart signing for the right team.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Appreciate it! You basically said the same last time, mid Prem. One of your complaints was inconsistency, but I figured if the man is still putting up ungodly advanced metrics maybe he’s ironed it out. Havent seen a Feyenoord game since essentially the WC restart to confirm with my own eyes. 22, Feyenoord captain, would seem like an extremely smart signing for the right team.
Yeah, inconsistency is also still a bit of a problem, but his bottom level has become higher as he's matured. He's still just prone to lose his head when a game gets tough or when a few decisions go against us. I actually had expected us not to beat AZ without him in the team (picked up a suspension) and while we were definitely worse in midfield without him, we somehow managed :wenger:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Would definitely call it disastrous. Truwly awful football, even worse manager and no perspective whatsoever.
So how about Van Nistelrooij? Is his position safe for now? I know he's had to deal with a couple of high-profile departures in January, but given what you're saying here, it sounds like his position should be in danger. I don't think I've read about that yet though? But then I don't follow this very closely.

King Kendrick

So how about Van Nistelrooij? Is his position safe for now? I know he's had to deal with a couple of high-profile departures in January, but given what you're saying here, it sounds like his position should be in danger. I don't think I've read about that yet though? But then I don't follow this very closely.
Far be it for me to answer for him, but if you just look at the external optics I would say it’s a terrible look. Ajax look extremely disorganized at board level, also dealt with key departures, hired a manager who was nowhere close to being good enough, and are still ahead of them in the table.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
He’s safe I think. One of the reasons I don’t see any perspective. Haven’t seen one thing to suggest he’s going to lead us to glory. Playing Saibari who wouldn’t play at RKC instead of Xavi Simons against Rangers I will never forget. Worst Eredivisie in a couple of decades and we are still 4th or 5th.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Stop giving me hope we're winning the league. We won't. Surely? However...

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Let me put it plain and simple. The title is now really yours only to lose.
If you guys beat us at home, you pass us on goal difference. And let's face it. You beating us at home is hardly a pipedream :wenger:

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
If you guys beat us at home, you pass us on goal difference. And let's face it. You beating us at home is hardly a pipedream :wenger:
True but there is no way Ajax will win the rest while you only have us to worry about. Just look:

Vitesse Ajax
Ajax NEC
Heerenveen Ajax
Ajax Feyenoord
Go Ahead Eagles Ajax
Ajax Fortuna
Ajax Emmen
PSV Ajax
Ajax AZ
Groningen Ajax
Ajax Utrecht
Twente Ajax

Feyenoord Groningen
Feyenoord Volendam
Ajax Feyenoord
Sparta Feyenoord
Feyenoord RKC
Cambuur Feyenoord
Feyenoord Utrecht
Excelsior Feyenoord
Feyenoord Go Ahead Eagles
Emmen Feyenoord
Feyenoord Vitesse

The five last matches will do us in. Only if you'll make it through another round in the Europa I see us having a chance.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
True but there is no way Ajax will win the rest while you only have us to worry about. Just look:

Vitesse Ajax
Ajax NEC
Heerenveen Ajax
Ajax Feyenoord
Go Ahead Eagles Ajax
Ajax Fortuna
Ajax Emmen
PSV Ajax
Ajax AZ
Groningen Ajax
Ajax Utrecht
Twente Ajax

Feyenoord Groningen
Feyenoord Volendam
Ajax Feyenoord
Sparta Feyenoord
Feyenoord RKC
Cambuur Feyenoord
Feyenoord Utrecht
Excelsior Feyenoord
Feyenoord Go Ahead Eagles
Emmen Feyenoord
Feyenoord Vitesse

The five last matches will do us in. Only if you'll make it through another round in the Europa I see us having a chance.
Yeah that's fair enough. We should really pull through, but the whole "lads, it's spurs" thing kinda works for Feyenoord too.

King Kendrick

I could be wrong here, but are Cambuur on track to beat that godawful RBC goal scoring record (or lack thereof) in what was it 2006/7? Can’t find who’s scored the least in history but I vividly remember watching Ajax play them with my uncle and they were the worst top flight team I’d ever seen

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I could be wrong here, but are Cambuur on track to beat that godawful RBC goal scoring record (or lack thereof) in what was it 2006/7? Can’t find who’s scored the least in history but I vividly remember watching Ajax play them with my uncle and they were the worst top flight team I’d ever seen
Actually, I see it's Volendam with 16 goals in 1971-72. Cambuur is at 13 now, so they'll probably not set a new record.

Incidentally, that's also the season the record for least goals against was set: Twente with 13. (But they also scored only 50 and finished 3rd. Volendam was also only second from last that year, ahead of Vitesse, but that meant direct relegation anyway.) There's a whole list of records here: https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_records_uit_de_geschiedenis_van_de_Nederlandse_Eredivisie (in Dutch).

King Kendrick

Actually, I see it's Volendam with 16 goals in 1971-72. Cambuur is at 13 now, so they'll probably not set a new record.

Incidentally, that's also the season the record for least goals against was set: Twente with 13. (But they also scored only 50 and finished 3rd. Volendam was also only second from last that year, ahead of Vitesse, but that meant direct relegation anyway.) There's a whole list of records here: https://nl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_records_uit_de_geschiedenis_van_de_Nederlandse_Eredivisie (in Dutch).
Interesting, thanks buddy. Figured a list like this would be in Dutch! That RBC team does show up too in a few of the worst ever categories :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Interesting, thanks buddy. Figured a list like this would be in Dutch! That RBC team does show up too in a few of the worst ever categories :lol:
Yeah, one of those clubs that probably should have declined promotion when they got it... I wonder if they maybe also made extra expenditures to stay up that factored into their eventual bankruptcy.

King Kendrick

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Maybe, as reading this article it appears they way overspent on wage to turnover ratio, although this is a few years after the relegation. https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2010/08/thirteen_not_12_football_clubs/
I've been trying to dig into this now, but I can't find any article that clearly states what was happening. Maybe it was simply a lack of local financing. There are quite a few Eerste Divisie clubs like that: TOP has been almost bankrupt a few times only to be saved by the city (which Roosendaal refused for RBC - rightly in my view; Oss shouldn't have done it either), and both AGOVV and Veendam have disappeared from pro football as well. I'm sure a couple of other clubs have had similar issues as well. I think it's usually not so much poor management (or not that poor at least), but just a question of too few local sponsors, while there isn't much broadcasting income at that level either.

I feel like the top half of the Eerste Divisie has been getting stronger the past decade or so because of some high-profile relegations (including clubs that used to be small but got bigger after spending a good few years into the Eredivisie); but below that, there really is very little money (or quality) going around.

King Kendrick

I've been trying to dig into this now, but I can't find any article that clearly states what was happening. Maybe it was simply a lack of local financing. There are quite a few Eerste Divisie clubs like that: TOP has been almost bankrupt a few times only to be saved by the city (which Roosendaal refused for RBC - rightly in my view; Oss shouldn't have done it either), and both AGOVV and Veendam have disappeared from pro football as well. I'm sure a couple of other clubs have had similar issues as well. I think it's usually not so much poor management (or not that poor at least), but just a question of too few local sponsors, while there isn't much broadcasting income at that level either.

I feel like the top half of the Eerste Divisie has been getting stronger the past decade or so because of some high-profile relegations (including clubs that used to be small but got bigger after spending a good few years into the Eredivisie); but below that, there really is very little money (or quality) going around.
Thank you for broadening my perspective on something I know so little about/rarely pay attention to. Just from a viewer perspective, as I really don’t pay attention to the bottom half outside of significant stories (Sittard, etc.) I do think in these past few seasons the promoted teams have been stronger than when I started watching it more than 15 years ago now as a teenager :(. Whether that’s better coaching, talent or infrastructure I can’t really tell, then I remember the story of ETH modernizing the entirety of Utrecht (who I consider a top 7-8 all time ED team), and I realize it’s probably nothing to do with infrastructure and some combo of better players and better coaching:lol:

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven

Haarlem also gone unfortunately. First club of Gullit, Hesp and Numan among others. Metgod too now I Google it which I didn't know.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Haarlem also gone unfortunately. First club of Gullit, Hesp and Numan among others. Metgod too now I Google it which I didn't know.
Completely forgot about them, but that's right! Vlissingen also went pro for a bit, didn't they? And wasn't there a club in Wageningen?

Ok, let's look that up. It was really just three seasons for Vlissingen, from 1990 to 1992. But Wageningen had played pro since forever when they went bankrupt, also in 1992.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So Groningen (whom we beat last night) had someone send off for a 2nd yellow after intentionally (looked that way anyway) booting the ball into a lying down Feyenoord player. Same thing that Bruno got booked for when he did it to De Jong last week.

The Ajacieden meltdown over it is hilarious.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
So Groningen (whom we beat last night) had someone send off for a 2nd yellow after intentionally (looked that way anyway) booting the ball into a lying down Feyenoord player. Same thing that Bruno got booked for when he did it to De Jong last week.

The Ajacieden meltdown over it is hilarious.
Why's there a meltdown? They're annoyed that you can't even intentionally shoot the ball into players lying down on the ground anymore? Or more generally that hurting Feyenoord players isn't always OK?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why's there a meltdown? They're annoyed that you can't even intentionally shoot the ball into players lying down on the ground anymore? Or more generally that hurting Feyenoord players isn't always OK?
The ball wasn't out of play and the ref hadn't whistled so with a bit of creativity you can say the player was booked for a shite clearance, which honestly feels a bit unjust. The meltdown is because of a narrative that the KNVB wants Feyenoord to win the league this year and the refs are helping us "all the time". It's what most Feyenoord fans say during the regular occurence of Ajax being top of the league really. The hilarity is that they do the exact same thing as soon as the tables are turned.

It's as if football fans are secretly all the same. Human and stuff,