Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He just isn’t that good. Totally overrated on here. He’s been sketchy ever since he signed and injury prone to boot. He needs to improve a lot.
IMO he was terrible yesterday. Could have cost us a goal on a couple of occasions. Apart from the player who gave the ball away, he was also at fault for Ben Yedders first goal on Tuesday, he didnt get tight enough quickly enough.

Hes potentially world class, but he's only 23. Needs time and consistent run of games.

We need a world class defender in the summer to play next to any of our current CBs. None of them are consistent.
Alderweireld is a must, and he should be paired with Smalling - despite the criticism of big Mike, he’s the only ‘steady’ defender currently in the squad - or Jones.
CB surely?
As for savior of our defense comes with how he's currently our best who still has potential for improvement.
Jones is fantastic, but he's been consistently injured now since he came to us, so while quality-wise he's on Baillys current level (for some slightly above) he isn't someone we should rely upon.

And yes, I know Bailly has been injured a lot this season, but 1-1.5 seasons of injury history for a 23-year old CB vs 5 seasons of injury-history for 26-year old Jones means that Bailly gets more leeway for being injured.

I don't agree with those who are adamant that Jones has to go.
Blind has to go.
If Lindelöf don't improve, then he has to go.

Then we need Jones + Bailly to make up one side of the CB-partnership & one top quality player in to take the other spot.
Preferably one who is very good in the air & fast as both Jones & Bailly could do with the freedom to press the attacker and having someone to cover for them, while Bailly needs a partner who is great in the air.
Smalling with better feet would be great.
No, I see him as most ‘reliable’ as a fullback, with someone in behind him to constantly sweep up for his terrible positional awareness. Both fullback roles are up for replenishment, and Bailly could fill the right one easily while he matures. He’s too chaotic to be a top-level central defender.

laughtersassassin

Alderweireld is a must, and he should be paired with Smalling - despite the criticism of big Mike, he’s the only ‘steady’ defender currently in the squad - or Jones.

No, I see him as most ‘reliable’ as a fullback, with someone in behind him to constantly sweep up for his terrible positional awareness. Both fullback roles are up for replenishment, and Bailly could fill the right one easily while he matures. He’s too chaotic to be a top-level central defender.

Smalling cannot be a starter next season. His shite passing is a major hindrance to us attacking. We don't need someone of Pirlo quality passing but feck me we cant have another year of smalling passing it to the keeper or his centre-back partner.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Can't agree with your assessment at all. Do hope it works out for the club whoever might be right.

ti vu

He’s literally played 1 game with Rojo, and I don’t even think that was 90 minutes (think due to an injury)

Why do so many people think they had some formidable partnership
That Chelsea game. They pretty much nullified Diego Costa (quite nuisance) Hazard and Pedro. DDG pretty much ain't tested that game. And that was Chelsea who were on their way cruising for the title. Didn't burden with European football while we had to play EL.

Edit: it's not just the defensive side. We move the ball around quicker, with less effort. Our CBS both comfortable get out of defense to carry the ball forward, winning the ball back higher up the pitch... AKA proactive defensive approach. So as a whole, it improved not just the defensive side, but tempo in build up play phase.We can definitely welcome that kind of improvement at the moment.

Last edited:

AP88

Supports
Man City
Smalling cannot be a starter next season. His shite passing is a major hindrance to us attacking. We don't need someone of Pirlo quality passing but feck me we cant have another year of smalling passing it to the keeper or his centre-back partner.
Toby would be what Blind was; someone to take care of the distribution from the back and allow Smalling to be a stopper, of which he’s one of the best in England. A back 4 of Bailly-Smalling-Alderweireld-Rose has enough alternative comfort on the ball to compensate for Smalling’s lack of it.

Bailly’s chaos is far more costly than Smalling’s limited range of passing.

haram

I think its time we start judging him more harshly. Coming to the end of the 2 years and he has been injured a lot and is still prone to some rash moments. He really needs to show some consistency in a couple areas next year. The talent is obviously there though.

Revaulx

I think its time we start judging him more harshly. Coming to the end of the 2 years and he has been injured a lot and is still prone to some rash moments. He really needs to show some consistency in a couple areas next year. The talent is obviously there though.
Well if judging him more harshly = holding him to the same standards as our other CBs, then I quite agree.

Bailly scores an idiotic OG v Liverpool: ha ha what a jolly jape. Jones scores an unlucky unlikely v Spurs: absolutely crucified.

haram

Well if judging him more harshly = holding him to the same standards as our other CBs, then I quite agree.

Bailly scores an idiotic OG v Liverpool: ha ha what a jolly jape. Jones scores an unlucky unlikely v Spurs: absolutely crucified.
To be fair, Bailly played well apart from that mess of an OG.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

One had a decent game, the other didn’t

Cheekiey

Why didn't he start last game? If he wasn't injured, why is our best CB left out?

haram

Why didn't he start last game? If he wasn't injured, why is our best CB left out?
"I try to know the way Swansea are coming and I try to choose players who are more adapted to this game," Mourinho said. "For example, Lindelof is probably our centre-back who comes into the midfield better with the ball and is a better passer of the ball. Paul has quality passes and can make the change in direction."

We’ve gone over this again and again @Revaulx, aside from the OG Bailly was a rock versus Liverpool and didn’t put a foot wrong.
Against Spurs Jones was a mess and already responsible for the first goal before his OG.

Bobski

"I try to know the way Swansea are coming and I try to choose players who are more adapted to this game," Mourinho said. "For example, Lindelof is probably our centre-back who comes into the midfield better with the ball and is a better passer of the ball. Paul has quality passes and can make the change in direction."
Interesting. I have this perception of Bailly being our number 1 CB, and that if you are going to adapt to the competition that it would be his partner you alternate, but not the case it seems. Perhaps without the injuries this season it would be the case but it also suggest that he has some way to go in developing his game in the eyes of Mou.

Smalling has been our most reliable CB this season, as much as some may wail at the idea, but even as a defender of him that is something that Mou will probably look to move on from next season.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If he was clearly our best CB he wouldn't be left out of any game. Hes very overrated on here.

Alabaster Codify7

I think the issue with Bailly, for me, is that he's having too many road-blocks to his development. Too many injuries. It's stopping him from truly getting game rhythm which is crucial for a CB to iron out the creases from their game. His rash ways and the odd brainfart would improve with consistent 90min games but whenever he starts picking up momentum he seems to get crocked again and then is back to square one. I still think that fully fit and on-form, he's our best CB clearly but he has to start showing it for long spells.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes a very good defender, don't get where the heat is coming from in here. Injuries have derailed his season, hopefully he can stay fit from here on.

el3mel

I really can't believe you are comparing both scenario.

Bailly had a great game, Jones had a shocker.

We won here, we lost there.

How are both scenarios similar ffs ?!

Revaulx

I really can't believe you are comparing both scenario.

Bailly had a great game, Jones had a shocker.

We won here, we lost there.

How are both scenarios similar ffs ?!
Ok maybe a bad example to single out :wenger:

Basic point still stands. Bailly has been no less error prone than our other defenders, and certainly no less injury prone than the worst of them. Yes he does some spectacular good stuff, and he’s only young, but I just don’t get this Our Best Defender and Bailly + A N Other stuff.

He's been in and out with injuries. It's a crucial point of the season and consistency and reliability is key. Bailly is not really competing with Lindelof anyway, moreso with Smalling.

A-man

Ok maybe a bad example to single out :wenger:

Basic point still stands. Bailly has been no less error prone than our other defenders, and certainly no less injury prone than the worst of them. Yes he does some spectacular good stuff, and he’s only young, but I just don’t get this Our Best Defender and Bailly + A N Other stuff.
I agree with your point; Bailly is very popular and can make more mistakes than others without being criticized. He is not totally untouchable, though. After his really poor performance against Sevilla, many people held him main responsible for the loss.

Man City 2:3 Man Utd

Bobski

Smalling taking much of the focus, understandably, but Bailly had a bit of a mare today, was all over the place positionally in the first half. This season has been disrupted for him but next year he needs to make that step to become the leader of that backline, still has much to improve on.

kundalini

Shocking performance. Even near the end he let Otamendi get free to shoot from the corner, leading to Sterling hitting the post.

No sign of any understanding between Smalling, Bailly and Matic. City destroyed us in that spell before half-time.

First half our central defenders took no responsibility for playing the ball forwards, instead passing it back to De Gea, who promptly gave the ball away.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
He doesn't really understand defending. Great at getting his body in the way, but as others above have said, shouldn't be in those positions in the first place.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The more defending we have to do the worse he looks.

His main defensive strength is in recovery ability rather than being positionally sound to avoid the threatening situations in the first place. It gets the highlights but fools people into thinking he's a better CB than he currently is.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I said it during that period where he was playing well and everyone on here was praising him, and I'll say it again now that he's in a period where he's playing poorly. He's inconsistent.

On a good day he's fantastic, an aggressive weapon who helps us get on the front foot. But when he's in a poor patch he's all over the place. He's been like this since he joined us. Extremely high highs, then very shaky lows.

Hopefully he'll gain that consistency in the upcoming seasons. Staying free from injury would hopefully help that goal.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He needs to improve a lot for me. He just needs to focus. It's so dangerous when he loses it or when a CB does it in general. Smalling did it once and we conceded and subsequently turned on City but after that Bailly lost it in the first half and was basically playing as a DMC. Sterling saved him from embarrassement.

There's potential there but this season has been a disappointing one.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I don’t see why he’s so highly rated on here.

beergod

The more defending we have to do the worse he looks.

His main defensive strength is in recovery ability rather than being positionally sound to avoid the threatening situations in the first place. It gets the highlights but fools people into thinking he's a better CB than he currently is.
It's why the pairing between him and Smalling is so bad. Both are very similar in their strengths and neither is the one to organize the defense.

Hojoon

It's strange Mou's signed him and Lindelof only to play deep often because both are at their best being front-foot defenders playing closer to the halfway line.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really bad today. Definitely lost form the last few weeks. Did well vs Liverpool (even with the own goal), but been off since. Hard when your season is derailed by injuries.

TsuWave

these hot takes after a bad performance in which he wasn't even the worst defensive unit

Status
Not open for further replies.