3 Yellow cards
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 29, 2018

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

A dreadful second season.
  2. Apr 29, 2018

Wumminator The Special One!

I’ll be honest mate, I think it’s more to do with him being the fourth worst central defender we have at the club.
  3. Apr 29, 2018

AP88 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Makes Jones look reliable, in every sense.

There’s a potentially great central defender in there, but he needs to learn to defend without his pace, if that makes sense. Think like a slow player, like Alderweireld and Terry do - position yourself with a few extra yards to react and adjust, and defend the space rather than constantly engaging the man.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  4. Apr 29, 2018

whatwha Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea

A few extra years to react? :D
  5. Apr 29, 2018

AP88 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    Corrected*
  6. May 2, 2018

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Thought he was injured again, papers today saying he's out of favour and could be sold?

Your CBs are wierd. They all have random spells of form and just when they are in form they all get injured and so the momentum is lost and another pairing has to be tried.

I wouldn't be selling Bailly though. He gives you pace and athleticism at the back.
  7. May 2, 2018

ti vu Full Member

Don't always believe paper talk. We would have nobody to field if all the paper talk are to be believed.

Bailly form definitely fall off the cliff and deserve to get dropped for the time being. It's nothing to do with to be sold
  8. May 3, 2018

ash_86 Full Member

Curse the International matches. Every time he goes to play for his country , he comes back injured. So much potential put to such waste :mad::mad:
  9. May 3, 2018

Brophs The one and only

Insert your own “That is some bullshit” gif.
  10. May 3, 2018

Lentwood Full Member

I have a few thoughts on this;

1) Jose might be using this as further opportunity to try and bed in Lindelof with Bailly being the one to suffer as a result. I've been as critical as anyone on here of Lindelof but there are glimmers of potential from time-to-time and we won't ever know without giving him games

2) Jose might be giving Bailly an extended break because of his continuous knee/ankle problems

3) Jose might be sending a message to Bailly as a few of his recent performances have smacked of complacency.

4) Similar to above, Rio Ferdinand said in his autobiography that he used to 'test' himself against centre forwards because he found the game so easy, often giving strikers a yard and challenging them to beat him or backing his physicality to get himself out of trouble. Rio goes on to say that he only cut out the errors and became a proper defender when he matured and stopped doing this. I believe this is also applicable to Bailly.
  11. May 3, 2018

Infra-red Full Member

Of the current five senior CBs, he is probably the least likely to depart in the summer. I don't think any of them are exactly secure, though. We'll be buying a CB, of that we can be certain.
  12. May 3, 2018

Minimalist New Member

Don't see a massive issue with Bailly right now but certainly a question mark has been added to him (for me) heading into next season. Still massive potential there and he's hardly in Phil Jones' territory where enough is enough.

That's completely ignoring his rash-side.
  13. May 3, 2018

pascell Full Member

I sometimes forget how young he is, still only 23 and managing him properly now through his injuries etc, will benefit the club and player in the long.

Hasn't been the best of seasons for him injury wise, the one after the ACoN hampered him a little. He'll play before the end of the season I'm sure of that.
  14. May 3, 2018

harms Way Staff

Interesting quotes from Mourinho. Still hope that he starts in the FA Cup final though
  15. May 4, 2018

United_We_Stand Full Member

Mark Ogden: Chelsea and Arsenal are both monitoring Bailly's situation at United, but the player remains determined to win back his place and remain at Old Trafford.
  16. May 4, 2018

Can23 New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    This guy gets far too many injuries to be relied upon. At the age he is now it shouldn't effect him too much if he can get fit for an extended period of time but as he gets older these injuries will catch up with him.
  17. May 4, 2018

Garethw scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

What an utterly bizzare situation.
  18. May 4, 2018

FootyGirl88

He's only had one big injury since hes been with us.
  19. May 4, 2018

JK-27 Full Member

If Bailly is fit he has to start in front of Rojo surely? Something's going on for him to be sub tonight.
  20. May 5, 2018

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

:lol: What the feck? Seemed like Jose got the perfect CB for us who was going to be top class. Instead he's managed to find a way to render him useless. Bizarre stuff.
  21. May 5, 2018

Kostov Full Member

That reasoning Mourinho tried to give us behind Bailly's absence is pathetic and if I was Bailly I would be fuming. Feck Rojo/Lindelof/Jones chances for the World cup, play with who is fits best for the club.
  22. May 5, 2018

Zoo Full Member

One by one Jose is going around having beef.
  23. May 5, 2018

A-man Full Member

It is a difficult situation. Mourinho needs to play every CB enough to keep them happy, motivated and also not to lose match pace etc. But as he only rotates one spot next to Smalling, for four CBs to share, they will never play enough to reach full potential. I understand he wants Smalling to play, but for the team in the long run, I think he should rotate him as well.
  24. May 5, 2018

Sylar Full Member

It's bizarre logic cos sanchez isn't going to the world cup but he will play more often than not.

Our defence is weird
    I think bailly as looked best with rojo or jones
    I think rojo is our best lcb but looks good with Jones or bailly on the right.
    I think smalling has probably been our best cb this season but hasn't had a good defensive partner (and has looked best next to blind who hasn't played there since europa final?)

Bizarre situation
  25. May 5, 2018

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    It indicates that Mourinho likely sees all our centrebacks (other than Smalling who is always picked) as being about the same level with no definite first choice between them. So favouring ones who are trying to get to the World Cup has no actual negative to the team. Whereas he considers Sanchez to be a clear first choice and dropping him would weaken the team.
  26. May 5, 2018

Jazz Full Member

i'm a little baffled by what the situation is with him. Injuries, out of form (well he hasn't played well for a while). Hopefully Mourinho didn't fall out with him too.
  27. May 5, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

This is it. Bailly is massively overrated on here and clearly Mourinho doesn't agree with his rating on here. There isn't much separating any of our CBs and it's very much arguable who is the best.
  28. Threadmark: Man Utd 1:0 Watford
    May 13, 2018

el3mel Full Member

Looked like a liability in the air. Their crosses were dangerous and he let Richarlison free on that last header of the first half.
  29. May 13, 2018

Bobski Full Member

He needs to bounce back next year. This season never really got started for him. He tailed off a little towards the end of last season, especially after he knew he would be suspended for the EL final and has never found his best form this year. People will be less accepting of his flaws heading into year 3, needs to raise his level and stay fit.
  30. May 13, 2018

acnumber9 Full Member

I see he has 2% of the man of the match vote. I assume those are from family members or people just having a laugh.
  31. May 13, 2018

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Intresting there hasn’t been more made of his performance today or that bit where he let thatngut have a free header at our goal. Dare I say it if that was Smalling he’d have been crucified already.

Anyway looked shaky today, to be fair so did Rojo.
  32. May 13, 2018

Amir Full Member

He was injured for months and hasn't played a whole lot after that. Hard to judge him.
  33. May 13, 2018

limerickcitykid There once was a kid from Toronto...

If you can criticize Mourinho for not playing him on his return from injury then you can criticize Bailly for playing shit.

Smelling and Jones have been better and deserve to play over him. Don't even need to come up consiracies.
  34. May 13, 2018

Oldham Full Member

Liability...
  35. May 14, 2018

MikeKing Full Member

Supports:
    Bournemouth
    He better have a bloody nice summer so he can come back next season and be an absolute boss. He should at least make himself eligible to take Smalling's spot in games with no aerial threat against us, or just go full beast as his partner if no other signings happens. He is full of talent, but also has a lot to learn. Let's not forget the guy is pretty young. Had a terrible second season tho
  36. May 14, 2018

Schmeichel's Cartwheel Full Member

Never been convinced by this guy. Had a great first 3-4 games & has been living off that ever since. Injury prone, erratic, clumsy & unreliable.

Hope he's nowhere near the starting eleven next Saturday.
  37. May 14, 2018

ghagua Full Member

Bailly's physical abilities blinded too many people last year. He is a decent player, but someone who does not have the intelligence to be a really top class player. His reading of the game and heading is shocking, also his need to terminate every player will leave him vulnerable to cards and opposition teams.
  38. May 14, 2018

RedCurry Full Member

This place can be rough. He’s not nearly as bad as the “liability” posts suggest.
  39. May 14, 2018

AP88 Full Member

Supports:
    Man City
    He’s just too chaotic to be considered a great defender; he’s clearly got something there to work with, but not as a centrehalf at a top club. Fullback or even as a busy, destructive holding midfielder could be the best places for him at the minute.
  40. May 14, 2018

kundalini Full Member

Bailly is a good player who got injured, missed a big chunk of the season, then came back at a time when we didn't have easy Cup games in which to find some form. The understanding that existed between him and his respective central defensive partners, both last season, and in the early part of this season, seems to have gone missing. He looked good against Liverpool apart from the ridiculous own goal. Against Sevilla and Man City there appeared to be gaping holes in our defence, for which Bailly was at least partly responsible for.

Of course he needs to improve as a player, as do almost all our squad.
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.