Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which is something that should be really easy to fix on the training field.

Which begs the question if it hasn't been, then why hasn't it been?
I'll bet its confidence. He's been injured, in and out of the game, and probably doesn't feel fully comfortable with his position at the club yet. It's no coincidence that the best aerial defenders have often been the aggressive, confident leaders on the pitch. They have to be to go up again and again for the ball.

Grande

If he had won that header there would have been no chance at all. He missed the header, after that it was a 100% goal as the player was free.
Yes, he missed the ball because it was played over him, not because he miss timed it. When someone is three yards behind you, an unpressured player at that level can normally put that cross beyond you.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s important not to go overboard on three preseason games. In his first season he looked excellent, if a little raw. Unfortunately he has seemingly regressed since then due to injury and loss of confidence.

I have to stay that so far this preseason he has looked dreadful. Last night he was appalling. Here’s hoping he can discover some top form, because both he and Jones have the makings of top quality centerbacks.

ash_86

Have to agree with most here. He looks dreadful and mistimes a lot of tackles. Hopefully its just a phase and he could get back to his first season form. He's highly undependable at the moment. Could give you the best game of his life or concede 2 penalties. We don't know what we'll get atm.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It’s important not to go overboard on three preseason games. In his first season he looked excellent, if a little raw. Unfortunately he has seemingly regressed since then due to injury and loss of confidence.

I have to stay that so far this preseason he has looked dreadful. Last night he was appalling. Here’s hoping he can discover some top form, because both he and Jones have the makings of top quality centerbacks.
I think that's fair. He's had some very good games but a load of awful ones too. Rightfully marginalised towards the end of last season and been pretty poor from what I've seen in pre-season. Which is disappointing.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Have to agree with most here. He looks dreadful and mistimes a lot of tackles. Hopefully its just a phase and he could get back to his first season form. He's highly undependable at the moment. Could give you the best game of his life or concede 2 penalties. We don't know what we'll get atm.
He can do both in the same game that's the peculiar thing about him, was absolutely outstanding against Liverpool yet decided to pirouette and score the weirdest own goal imaginable. He's so inconsistent at the moment, I'm willing to give him another season though because I do think he's clearly talented but there are some things I worry he may never be able to get out of him. Judgement and anticipation are skills I'm not sure you can really develop, they come naturally and I feel they're some of his worst attributes.

I do think he played well in our second game against the earthquakes but after watching last night he's still very much a hot and cold player, he was right not to play towards the end of the season. I'm not convinced he'll do enough to warrant a starting role in Jones's absence.

ash_86

He can do both in the same game that's the peculiar thing about him, was absolutely outstanding against Liverpool yet decided to pirouette and score the weirdest own goal imaginable. He's so inconsistent at the moment, I'm willing to give him another season though because I do think he's clearly talented but there are some things I worry he may never be able to get out of him. Judgement and anticipation are skills I'm not sure you can really develop, they come naturally and I feel they're some of his worst attributes.

I do think he played well in our second game against the earthquakes but after watching last night he's still very much a hot and cold player, he was right not to play towards the end of the season. I'm not convinced he'll do enough to warrant a starting role in Jones's absence.
Agree. He's bad especially in the Air. Such a shame , got great potential. Wonder if a strong figure next to him like Bonucci would make a difference. Right now none of our defense has leaders.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Think he's had enough good games for us suggest he is a player with the bare bones to be a Manchester United player.

His career has been very stop start, and I hope when hes back playing league games, he cuts out these lapses and errors.

I loved his confidence when he first joined. I thought he was an absolute nutcase, but it was a joy. End of last season he was poor.

Let's see what 18/19 holds.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah it's a weird one. The first season and when he was fit at the first half of last season he seemed like a cert to be a quality defender when fit. Since then he's looked like bigger liability than either of Jones or Smalling and been awful in pre-season. Needs to sort it out, and stay fit as well.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He’s a mess, and will continue to be so because he lacks basic defensive intellect. Factor in he’s perma-crocked, and it’d make sense to cut losses on him while the myth perpetuates.

OL29

He’s a mess, and will continue to be so because he lacks basic defensive intellect. Factor in he’s perma-crocked, and it’d make sense to cut losses on him while the myth perpetuates.
Nice to see abit of patience from our fans.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What a poor assessment of a player.

SteveW

Hopefully not injured. We're short of first choice defenders right now

Member 90887

You can clearly see what a good on the ball defender can give to the team. so composed on the ball. he calms the team down and launches the counter in the best possible condition.

You can easily understand why Jose wants Alderweireld or Maguire. in addition to Lindelof and Bailly. what he wants from his defender is clear.

Sparky Rhiwabon

You can clearly see what a good on the ball defender can give to the team. so composed on the ball. he calms the team down and launches the counter in the best possible condition.

You can easily understand why Jose wants Alderweireld or Maguire. in addition to Lindelof and Bailly. what he wants from his defender is clear.
I’ve always felt Bailly is a bit overrated on here. We could probably do with Maguire AND Alderweireld, although that’s unlikely to happen.

wythyred

This has to be a windup he's poor on the ball and makes defending look like rocket science.

He's sooo overrated!

ROFLUTION

He is so annoying to look at.

Takes way too many chances in his game.

He's supposed to do the stable things, yet he rushes in, tries to dribble it out of defence in dangerous situations, etc.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Has a reputation of being the best centre back at the club, based on very little.

I can't remember seeing a centre back who was so poor in the air.

He's pretty good with the ball at his feet, and he pulls off some impressive last ditch tackles now and again, but as an out and out defender, he's got a lot to work on.

Bobski

Has a reputation of being the best centre back at the club, based on very little.

I can't remember seeing a centre back who was so poor in the air.

He's pretty good with the ball at his feet, and he pulls off some impressive last ditch tackles now and again, but as an out and out defender, he's got a lot to work on.
It is based on not being Smalling and Jones. Longest standing members of our defensive group and thus have the most accumulated resentment built against them. Also means that any new signing gets built up as the one who will save us from them, happened with Rojo, happened with Bailly and people were convinced last year that Lindelof would walk into the team and end their era. Kind of annoying for those who hate that pair that they are still our best defenders for the most part, warts and all.

I love watching Bailly but he is so erratic, so rash then a few moments later half asleep. Must be a stressful player to play alongside.

AP88

Supports
Man City
This has to be a windup he's poor on the ball and makes defending look like rocket science.

He's sooo overrated!
Crazy how much abuse Smalling gets compared to this absolute shambles of a footballer - he’s a choatic car crash of a defender with a woeful injury record. No better than Rojo, and equally as poor a signing as Lindelof.

Mourinho should have continued with Smalling and Blind, but the bitter old cnut is so obsessed with sabotaging LVG’s already dubious legacy that he would compromise his own.

Neither Bailly or Lindelof combined have produced as many accomplished defensive performances as Blind did in 15/16.

Ashley R1+O

Worked hard, doesn't have the glue that Smalling has to hold a defense together yet.

criticalanalysis

If he was injured why did Mourinho play him?

The feck. Just give one of the youngsters the whole 90.

What does praising your senior team member who's had an injury ravaged season and now has picked a knock in pre-season do in this situation? Absolutely nothing.

Oh wait apart from peer pressuring the rest of the team to 'be professional' yet when results don't go his way, blame them for not being 'professional'. It's basically to hide the fact he can't manage a team beyond just being robots on the field and deflects his own inability to get results.

Ace of Spades

If he was injured why did Mourinho play him?

The feck. Just give one of the youngsters the whole 90.

What does praising your senior team member who's had an injury ravaged season and now has picked a knock in pre-season do in this situation? Absolutely nothing.

Oh wait apart from peer pressuring the rest of the team to 'be professional' yet when results don't go his way, blame them for not being 'professional'. It's basically to hide the fact he can't manage a team beyond just being robots on the field and deflects his own inability to get results.
Yeah, it is a bit weird that he will moan about the injuries, and then risk a player who is not fully fit. If the games are that pointless, then don't play him.

The least he could do is sub him off after Salah and Mane were taken off.

Ekeke

I think playing him when hes injured is about the worst thing that we could do. He's already struggled to stay fit and its just a preseason match, play a midfielder in defence if you need to. Ander could do a job for a match for example.

I already felt this way before the match but yes I'm sure the injury didnt help - but from what I've seen of Bailly in the other preseason matches and last season, his positioning is pretty bad. He rarely finds himself in a good position to defend and react to whats happening. I think thats part of the reason why he doesn't do well with balls in the air, because his starting position isnt usually the most healthy to give him the best chance of winning it. I think hes a natural athlete and a natural physical competitor but I'm not sure he's a natural defender because he doesn't sense the danger around him.

Ekeke

Judging by the highlights he seemed to be blocking loads of LFC chances in first half?

Looks dodge tho
Was your comment in response to mine about Bailly's poor positioning and sensing danger?

If so, I don't mean when players are right in front of him looking to shoot. I mean players making runs behind him or getting on the end of crosses. Thats where he has to have awareness and know whats going on around him and sense that he's in trouble and correct it before its too late. If everything is happening right in front of him I'm sure he'll react well.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
Was your comment in response to mine about Bailly's poor positioning and sensing danger?

If so, I don't mean when players are right in front of him looking to shoot. I mean players making runs behind him or getting on the end of crosses. Thats where he has to have awareness and know whats going on around him and sense that he's in trouble and correct it before its too late. If everything is happening right in front of him I'm sure he'll react well.
No I didn’t really read any comments

I agree the guy looks dodgy as hell

From the ten minute highlight reel Liverpool looked like they were getting in behind united for fun

redpatron

I know he shouldn’t be playing injured, but it obvious Eric is trying to show Jose that he wants to be here. There’s a clear out going on, We heard rumors of a rift last year and Eric rode the bench in the spring. He’s trying and mending fences, which should help him back on Jose’s good side.

nemanja15

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/jose-mourinho-praises-bravery-of-eric-bailly

“Bailly was not going to play,” explained Mourinho in the post-match press conference. “But when he saw that Smalling in the warm-up was leaving, he decided by himself he did not want another kid on the pitch. It is not fair to Alexis, to Mata, to Herrera, and the guys that are there.”

“He is a team boy, he is a great boy,” Jose said. “He is an honest man, always ready to give everything for the team. That is why we have him, why we still have him and why he is going to stay with us because football teams need people like him, like Herrera; this kind of people where the club is more important than anything else.”

-

In among all the negative waffle, some really nice quotes here from Jose on Bailly, further to what was mentioned above. Hopefully what happened with the sickness/missing the POTY awards etc is water under the bridge and he can start the season as strongly as he started last.

Ban

Crazy how much abuse Smalling gets compared to this absolute shambles of a footballer - he’s a choatic car crash of a defender with a woeful injury record. No better than Rojo, and equally as poor a signing as Lindelof.

Mourinho should have continued with Smalling and Blind, but the bitter old cnut is so obsessed with sabotaging LVG’s already dubious legacy that he would compromise his own.

Neither Bailly or Lindelof combined have produced as many accomplished defensive performances as Blind did in 15/16.
Car crash of a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.