Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
And it will be hard to be that high if we get Alderweird(?) and put him with Lindelof.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Average positions vs Chelsea

Lindelof deepest with Bailly quite far up.

Average positions of our last good result, against West Ham.

Jones deepest with Smalling quite far up.

So theres only a small distance between us having majority possession against Chelsea, and us having less possession than West Ham with Jones and Smalling playing. Theres a much bigger change in all the other players being far more spread and further forward.

Our recent games we've played 3 at the back and yes our defense have been further back in those games. Also Everton where we conceded 4, obviously our CBs were dropping deep trying to cope.

But in general its a small difference to when we were playing well under Ole before

Here's the previous win 2-0 over Chelsea in the F.A cup

Lindelof deepest with Smalling not as far up as Bailly yesterday, but Ander dropping into that space as a DM.

Here's our 1-0 victory over Arsenal in the F.A cup

We won, Bailly and Lindelof played and they were actually deeper than most of our CB pairings over the course of the season.

1-0 over Spurs in the league

Smalling and Jones this time are even deeper than Lindelof in the last example and about level with Bailly. Ander is only a bit further forward than Bailly was against Chelsea yesterday.

So if you look at it properly, all of our players were further forward specifically yesterday. Matic took on more responsibility with Ander playing further forward than the halfway line when usually he's been sitting near him. Our attackers are more spread out and further forward too.

It wasnt the personnel, it was the tactics. In general our players were deployed further up the pitch and we tried to have most of the ball unlike most weeks where we let the other team have most of the ball and we counterattack when they are out of position.
Yeah, thing about positioning looked like a bullshit eithout any proof.

SER19

Does anybody still hold out hope for bailly? There was a time as recently as September when lindelof was being held in as low regard and now most of us think we should be looking for a partner for him.

I think bailly had a fantastic first season here. Last season was an absolute disaster. His injuries have been unlucky at times, things like ligaments rather than repeated strains and we all saw a guy operating last year with zero confidence,

But there are positives. He’s physically imposing which is what lindelof needs, he’s very fast, he’s not bad on the ball. I’m not saying we should rely on him but if the alternative is a 80m Maguire, would we better off trusting Smalling while allowing bailly the chance to salvage his career here like lindelof and shaw? After his first season I thought we were sorted for years with him

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Does anybody still hold out hope for bailly? There was a time as recently as September when lindelof was being held in as low regard and now most of us think we should be looking for a partner for him.

I think bailly had a fantastic first season here. Last season was an absolute disaster. His injuries have been unlucky at times, things like ligaments rather than repeated strains and we all saw a guy operating last year with zero confidence,

But there are positives. He’s physically imposing which is what lindelof needs, he’s very fast, he’s not bad on the ball. I’m not saying we should rely on him but if the alternative is a 80m Maguire, would we better off trusting Smalling while allowing bailly the chance to salvage his career here like lindelof and shaw? After his first season I thought we were sorted for years with him
No matter how talented you are as a defender, the most important attribute is concentration levels and with the exception of fatigue I believe that’s something you either have or you don’t. Even in Bailly’s best performances he’s had moments where he’s switched off.

Hate to use him as an example but Van Dijk doesn’t switch off for a second. I don’t think Bailly has that alertness instilled him to not only smell danger but be ready for it for a full game.

I’m not saying sell him but he’s nowhere near the levels of a title competing CB starter. Just my opinion.

haram

No, he's bad.

Rafeeq RSA

No use having a Messi in your team when he is only fit to play 10 games a season, same applies to Bailly.

Ibi Dreams

He's been so poor and anonymous in the last year that I don't think many would notice or care a lot if he left. I wouldn't mind giving him another shot this season, but even if we do keep him we should be buying another centreback anyway. Arguably none of our current lot are good enough to be starting for United.

SteveW

No, he's brainless unfortunately.

No matter how talented you are as a defender, the most important attribute is concentration levels and with the exception of fatigue I believe that’s something you either have or you don’t. Even in Bailly’s best performances he’s had moments where he’s switched off.

Hate to use him as an example but Van Dijk doesn’t switch off for a second. I don’t think Bailly has that alertness instilled him to not only smell danger but be ready for it for a full game.

I’m not saying sell him but he’s nowhere near the levels of a title competing CB starter. Just my opinion.
Good post, but I would say with his glaring weaknesses he needs to go. We could perhaps have persisted with such a player if surrounded by great players, but none of our CBs are fantastic. Lindelof is the best of a very average bunch, and we need to put some faith in him. Bailly, Rojo and Jones need to go as quickly as possible.

Allas8

Knowing there are competent football people at United gives me confidence that Bailly will get a chance next season. Don't think I would trade Bailly for Maguire given a chance, sounds like madness to me. The fact that Leicester ended behind us on the table last season seem to be lost on some people. If we can work out his fitness issue, I reckon we got one of the best CBs in the league in Bailly.

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He's shit. You can't point to how fast he is all you want. That doesn't make a professional footballer. He's severely lacking in every single aspect of being a good defender.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Remember few articles saying VVD also had concentration issues.

But former Celtic scout Neil McGuinness, who spotted Van Dijk at Groningen before his two-year spell at the Scottish club, believes he needs to improve his concentration in order to progress to the next level.

“Virgil can be as good as he wants to be and it all comes down to focus,” McGuinness told BBC Sport.

“I notice at times that he can switch off when the game is comfortable. That has been his biggest problem.

“This could be perhaps down to the fact that he knows he has the recovery pace to deal with anything that gets in behind him but it is definitely an area he needs to work on and one that sets apart the great defenders from the good ones.

“The top players can stay fully tuned in for the entire game and if he can work on becoming a lot more complete in his concentration, he will be at that next level.

“He has all the tools you would want for his position, but concentration when his team is in a leading position is an area I would say he could improve in.”
Groningen's coach, Robert Maaskant, noted another quality: Van Dijk listened to criticism. He learned rapidly and consistently. Almost perversely for a late-blooming defender at a small club, he still believed he could reach the top; he just needed to improve his weak points. Perhaps because the level at Groningen was too easy for him, his biggest problem was concentration. In that sense, he was made for soccer's elite level, playing for teams on which the hysteria and stress forces you to focus.
Reflecting on that performance today Southampton boss Puele admitted: “I think Virgil has all of the qualities to become one of the best defenders in the world – no problem.

“Sometimes [at the start of the season] he wasn’t concentrated. I also think the [way the team] play is different to last year because he could defend in a deep defence, but this year he sometimes has to defend with 50, 60 metres behind him.

“Virgil is technical, has improved tactically and he is fantastic. He must continue to work and progress.”

King Eric 7

He has all the physical attributes to be a very good defender, the only questionable thing is his strange heading technique. Mentally though, he is unfit to be playing football at the highest level and I am pessimistic about that aspect of his game improving.

Hopefully he can get back to the form he showed in his first season.

SteveW

I think Bailly's first season was considered good in the context of a young player who would hopefully improve a lot. Not because it was actually all that good. There were plenty of obvious flaws. Sadly instead of improving he's got even worse.

I think Bailly's first season was considered good in the context of a young player who would hopefully improve a lot. Not because it was actually all that good. There were plenty of obvious flaws. Sadly instead of improving he's got even worse.
Spot on, and that was three years ago now.

stevoc

I don't have any no, even setting aside his giving Phil Jones a run for the most injured player of the year award and his patchy form. He is still very erratic, he does batshit crazy stuff nearly every game.

We really need to stop giving players over 24 4-6 years at the club in the hope they can develop into something. We need to be more ruthless. Back in the day the likes of Poborsky, Kleberson etc were shipped out within 2 years of under performing. If they'd been here in the last decade they would probably be on course for a testimonial like Phil Jones.

Having said that I think due to the amount of players we need to bring in this summer he will survive the cull, but in an ideal world he, Rojo and Darmian should be out the door. None are good or reliable enough.

Knowing there are competent football people at United gives me confidence that Bailly will get a chance next season. Don't think I would trade Bailly for Maguire given a chance, sounds like madness to me. The fact that Leicester ended behind us on the table last season seem to be lost on some people. If we can work out his fitness issue, I reckon we got one of the best CBs in the league in Bailly.
We didn't finish higher than Leicester because of Bailly though.

Yeah he showed some promise that first season but i was never convinced by him. Sadly it is looking like he won't develop into a top class defender or even a good one.

Brophs

The One and Only
Sunk cost fallacy springs to mind. He’s unable to stay fit and hasn’t developed in the last couple of years. In an ideal world we’d get rid of him, Rojo and Jones and at least give someone else the chance to fail, given we already know that those three players ultimately will.

Based Adnan

His best run for us was a few months of good form in his first season. Ever since then it's been downhill at an alarming rate. Our worst CB at the club. Ideally we'd sell him off to Arsenal.

His best run for us was a few months of good form in his first season. Ever since then it's been downhill at an alarming rate. Our worst CB at the club. Ideally we'd sell him off to Arsenal.
He was good at the start of Jose second season, when we were winning nearly every game 4-0.

Allas8

We didn't finish higher than Leicester because of Bailly though.
Of 8 games Bailly started in the league last season, our record was 4W 2D 2L, thats 1.75 points per game, and comes to 66 points a season, the same amount of points we ended the season with. Yeah that is not good enough, but it still better than Leicester who ended the season with 52 points.

After Solskjaer came in, Bailly started 3 games, 2W 1D. If you subscribe to the idea that everyone gets a reset button when we change manager, Bailly played well, if you overlook the fact that he been injured the hole time.

stevoc

Of 8 games Bailly started in the league last season, our record was 4W 2D 2L, thats 1.75 points per game, and comes to 66 points a season, the same amount of points we ended the season with. Yeah that is not good enough, but it still better than Leicester who ended the season with 52 points.
Exactly we didn't finish above Leicester because of Bailly, even if Bailly had played every game (fat chance) it still wouldn't have been because of Bailly. United have much better players in almost every position compared to Leicester thats why we finished ahead of them.

You can't single out 2 players and give them 100% of the credit for their respective teams league finish. It doesn't work like that it's a team game.

After Solskjaer came in, Bailly started 3 games, 2W 1D. If you subscribe to the idea that everyone gets a reset button when we change manager, Bailly played well, if you overlook the fact that he been injured the hole time.
I don't, he's not good enough and is always injured. We need to replace him with someone who is better or at the very least able to stay fit for the entire season, that shouldn't be too hard in either case. We have too many mediocre sick notes in defence, at least 2 of Jones, Darmian, Rojo and Bailly need to be shipped out. The time of stock piling average players who can't stay fit needs to end if we ever want to get back to the top.

Devil81

Brainless and rash, I'd love to see the back of all the centre backs at United but he's one of the worst for me.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

That’s right. His concentration level is very low which is why I don’t think he’ll be good enough. He has the skills to be top centre back, but he can’t deliver in 90 minutes in consistent basis due to poor concentration. If he can fix it which is very hard to do since it’s part of the player’s nature then he will be a top defender.

And also needs to stop being rash too often launching sliding tackle. It’s main reason he keeps getting injured.

haram

He isn't even better than Smalling but there is a large portion of our fanbase who are deluded and still defend Bailly.

humdinger

He has useful qualities but I just don’t trust him not to go and do something really daft.

He’s not our worst CB though. That honour goes to that idiot Marcos Rojo.

arthurka

I've said it on here a while he will never be a good CB. He doesnt hold a line, poor in the air, gets dragged out of position and always throws himself about like a shithouse on fire. And if that isnt enough he is never fit to play. Hope he goes to Arsenal.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don't agree with it but I suppose last-ditch defending is more easy on the eye for some. Bailly is the master of getting into last ditch situations.
So hes basically a rubbish defender

SteveW

He's the first defender I've seen here that genuinely looks confused a lot of the time. Like this is completely new to him and he's not sure what to do or where to go. It's quite staggering that some people still somehow think he's a good defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.