6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised so many people are saying it wasn't a penalty. I thought it was quite obvious that it hit him in the upper arm rather than the shoulder. I'd be fuming if it went the other way when we were on the attack.

Obviously it was a terrible pass from Matic, but it was stupid from Bailly to try to control it like that.
It was outside the box, so it shouldn't have been a pen.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Brain fart aside he was decent. I mean the game was won but I'm guessing he came on to deal with the threat of the pace on their right side and he did exactly as asked.

We can afford to give him more games. There's no discernible quality drop between Lindelof and Bailly imo, when we take each of their attributes into account. The difference is that the former gets to play all games whilst delivering safe and comfortable defensive performances but not really pushing the boat as a defensive monster or master of zen controlling the back.
I think Bailly is a better defender, think he would have got to the ball earlier and cleared it away before Bournemouth's first goal, Lindelof was standing still, and got muscled out of it, mind you a catalogue of errors from AWB, Maguire and DDG followed. We certainly looked more solid second half with Bailly there.

Andersonson

Poor guy can't win with some posters on here, if he'd had let it go out for a corner you guys would have slated him for not making an attempt to control the ball.
Poor guy? What did he do within his first 3 minutes? Make a penalty and a dangerous dribble inside our penalty box. I dont like that type of defenders.

There is a reason he aint a starting CB for us. And that reason didnt change today.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I thought it was his shoulder when they showed the reply that faced Bailly. Poor backpass from Matic in the first place anyway but sometime this is where Bailly also needs to use his brain that he was never gonna get the ball under control in that situation anyway so instead of taking a risk just let it be corner.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Poor guy? What did he do within his first 3 minutes? Make a penalty and a dangerous dribble inside our penalty box. I dont like that type of defenders.

There is a reason he aint a starting CB for us. And that reason didnt change today.
A penalty which wasn't, and a dribble which got him out of a sticky position, and the rest of the half?

Rish Sawhney

The pass was horrendous, but he didn’t need to throw his arm up there. Just head it away or let it go for a corner FFS!

RedIan

When hes confident Eric is a good player, his problem is he makes silly mistakes and then his head just seems to go. Not reliable enough for me Which is a shame because there is a great player hiding amongst the schoolboy errors.

Foxbatt

That was a penalty and he switched off. Not saying that was not a bad pass from Matic but it was Bailly being Bailly. He is good to defend when we are under the cosh but always a mistake waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Devil may care

I am guessing he came on to get minutes if Lindelof wasn't injured, I mean Lindelof wasn't great either but we looked extra shakey with Bailly on, and he just laughs when he fecks up.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
That was a penalty and he switched off. Not saying that was not a bad pass from Matic but it was Bailly being Bailly. He is good to defend when we are under the cosh but always a mistake waiting to happen.
Is that all posters can say, always a mistake waiting to happen. It's as if no one else makes a mistake. Does anyone actually watch him play? Can anyone point out a mistake he made second half, and please don't quote the penalty. Even Pete Walton didn't think it was a pen.

always_hoping

Is that all posters can say, always a mistake waiting to happen. It's as if no one else makes a mistake. Does anyone actually watch him play? Can anyone point out a mistake he made second half, and please don't quote the penalty. Even Pete Walton didn't think it was a pen.
I thought it wasn't a penalty either. Bournemouth managed I think 1 shot on target outside of the two basically gifts of goals.

When hes confident Eric is a good player, his problem is he makes silly mistakes and then his head just seems to go. Not reliable enough for me Which is a shame because there is a great player hiding amongst the schoolboy errors.
we can’t go off potential any longer. I think there’s a good player in there, but not seen anything to suggest a great player. He’s nowhere near reliable enough to be a squad player. He might survive another season as Rojo, Jones and Smalling might get the cull ahead of him.

He has some good moments, but then O’Shea nutmegged Figo once.

Andersonson

A penalty which wasn't, and a dribble which got him out of a sticky position, and the rest of the half?
It was a penalty. It was a handball under no pressure inside the box. Look for pictures. Its not his shoulder its hitting.

Bournemouth didnt pose any threat whatsoever. We gifted them two goals.

A-man

After 40 seconds he tried to dribble the ball in the penalty box, was outmuscled and lost the ball, leading to Bournemouth’s maybe best chance in the match.
The penalty was unlucky, but watching the replay again, it was also very clumsy and should never have happened.

Kostov

Some of you are pathetic, blasting Bailly for a non existent penalty instead of criticizing another shocking VAR decision. The guy can’t win with some of you.

Some of you are pathetic, blasting Bailly for a non existent penalty instead of criticizing another shocking VAR decision. The guy can’t win with some of you.
Even on MOTD they said it wasn’t a pen

croadyman

I thought it was his shoulder when they showed the reply that faced Bailly. Poor backpass from Matic in the first place anyway but sometime this is where Bailly also needs to use his brain that he was never gonna get the ball under control in that situation anyway so instead of taking a risk just let it be corner.
Yeah I was championing him to get an opportunity but just wish that he had just let the ball go out and not give VAR and the officials a decision to make, yes he is maybe unfortunate it is given as he does control it just inside the box and under the current laws the right call was made.

Reactions: van der star

Kostov

Even on MOTD they said it wasn’t a pen
Yeah but you have United fans who’d rather say the opposite just to have something to slate Bailly. Dean was so ready to feck us over again he loved that moment, shame for the prick, Greenwood had a different idea.

rotherham_red

Is it just me who thought he was absolutely fine? It was Matic's suicidal pass which caused the situation and even then it was a very harsh decision to award the penalty considering he was moving his arm away and it hit his shoulder. Even Peter Walton said it was harsh, and if you've ever watched a game on BT Sport, you know how protective he is of referees and their mistakes.

After that aberration he settled down very nicely and did what was required of him. It was very easy, truth be told, but what was required of him, he did it well.

Alemar

Is it a penalty if the ball just touches the outside of the penalty area line? Most of the ball was outside the penalty area, but it was touching the outside of the line

He was fine. Blame that absolutely horrific backpass and the referee, not Bailly. Matic owes him a beer tonight.

Bondi77

There is a song from The Wizard of Oz that sums up this bloke and I will leave it to my fellow posters to work it out.

Revan

Assumptionman
It was outside the box, so it shouldn't have been a pen.
It was not outside of box for crying out load. I mean, it clearly looked that part of the ball was inside the box (and unlike for the goal, you don’t need the entire ball to be inside). But most importantly, VAR verified it and VAR is more precise than human eye.

Revan

Assumptionman
Is it a penalty if the ball just touches the outside of the penalty area line? Most of the ball was outside the penalty area, but it was touching the outside of the line
Yes, the outside of the penalty area is considered part of the penalty area, and consequently, it was a clear penalty.

It is one thing disagreeing with referee’s opinion on something, another to disagree with facts. VAR is extremely precise, simple as that. Do we like the rules? Some
might do, some might not. But under the current rules, it absolutely was a penalty.

Jericho

The same centre-backs should have started the second half just to establish that stability for the first 15-20 mins, then bring him on.

He can be a bit all over the place, but realistically who could we replace him with that's good enough to slot into the team, yet is also willing to spent most of the time on the bench?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The thing for me with the penalty when you watch it in real time is that the ball only brushes off his body, it just skims it. With the entire situation....it’s just never a penalty. Even if it skimmed his actual hand it’s not a penalty. It’s a slight touch. Not control of the ball. Doesn’t affect the flight. Added to that it’s a back pass by a fellow player not a through ball, there’s no attacking g player insight. It’s such a nothing action to give a penalty for.

Mr Smith

Don't really care if it was a penalty or not as per the letter of the law, throwing your arm up like that so close to your own box is daft. Just gives the officials and excuse to scrutinise you, and with the handball law so ambiguous, the risk is so high.

I still believe Bailly has a future here, but he needs to wake the feck up. His focus when he came on at half time was simply not good enough.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The thing for me with the penalty when you watch it in real time is that the ball only brushes off his body, it just skims it. With the entire situation....it’s just never a penalty. Even if it skimmed his actual hand it’s not a penalty. It’s a slight touch. Not control of the ball. Doesn’t affect the flight. Added to that it’s a back pass by a fellow player not a through ball, there’s no attacking g player insight. It’s such a nothing action to give a penalty for.
Slight touch, pass from a teammate, no attacker in sight. You’re just making up rules as you go along. None of these are in any way relevant to the rule.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Slight touch, pass from a teammate, no attacker in sight. You’re just making up rules as you go along. None of these are in any way relevant to the rule.
Erm these aren’t rules ? It’s context. No one is batting an eyelid at that for the reasons of the context of the phase of play, until the ref gives a penalty. It’s a nothing incident. Never a penalty. When you watch it in normal speed it’s a laughable decision. It’s only when it’s freezeframed that it’s even a debate as to where the contact was and if the contact was in or outside the box. There’s so much wrong with giving a penalty for that it’s actually laughable. I don’t know your context, but I’d guess you’re not a fan of Bailly?

Tel074

This guy baffles me more than anyone else . He has all the tools to be a great CB but he's a mental fecker.
He's quick good in the air good on the ball. He can carry the ball from defence to midfield and look like a superstar but then he can do like he did today or something other as stupid and cost you a game .

Sweet Square

Is it just me who thought he was absolutely fine? It was Matic's suicidal pass which caused the situation and even then it was a very harsh decision to award the penalty considering he was moving his arm away and it hit his shoulder. Even Peter Walton said it was harsh, and if you've ever watched a game on BT Sport, you know how protective he is of referees and their mistakes.

After that aberration he settled down very nicely and did what was required of him. It was very easy, truth be told, but what was required of him, he did it well.
Yeah people on here are just looking for something to complain about. It was clearly a harsh decision and Bailly is coming back from an injury. Until he gets a good run of games it's impossible to judge just how good he really is.

The biggest concern is his inability to stay fit.

NM

Penalty or no penalty but it was still idiotic :houllier:
Pretty much this. The pass was stupid, and what Bailly did was brain dead. We absolutely should criticize him and the wrong VAR decision.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Erm these aren’t rules ? It’s context. No one is batting an eyelid at that for the reasons of the context of the phase of play, until the ref gives a penalty. It’s a nothing incident. Never a penalty. When you watch it in normal speed it’s a laughable decision. It’s only when it’s freezeframed that it’s even a debate as to where the contact was and if the contact was in or outside the box. There’s so much wrong with giving a penalty for that it’s actually laughable. I don’t know your context, but I’d guess you’re not a fan of Bailly?
No those aren’t rules. Calm down your little rant. I’m a fan of knowing what the laws of the game are. Who passed the ball, how close an opposition player are and the intensity in which the ball hit the hand are not rules nor are they “context” when applying the hand ball rule.

Bailly has nothing to do with you making up your own rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.