Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fitness is the only problem, for all the ball playing discussions I feel Bailly is the most suited player for the role. His has very good composure and he brings the ball out of defense well. If he can stay fit, he will be very good option for us but relying on his fitness is like relying on Jones.

AneRu

I love watching him defend when he is on song. I can think of one mistake last night when that big number 9 got that last second chance, otherwise I think he was one of our best players. If he stays fit (which won't happen) he is good and useful.
Sadly and it's a real shame because if he was reliable fitness wise he is a perfect partner for Maguire. Maybe we will keep him next season and then make a decision after that but given that we are rumored to be on the look out for a CB I think his time is done.

Kostov

Sadly and it's a real shame because if he was reliable fitness wise he is a perfect partner for Maguire. Maybe we will keep him next season and then make a decision after that but given that we are rumored to be on the look out for a CB I think his time is done.
Most probably that's the case. A shame since he has and maybe still has potential to be a top CB, injuries play a bit part in players development and it shows.

AneRu

Most probably that's the case. A shame since he has and maybe still has potential to be a top CB, injuries play a bit part in players development and it shows.
True it's a shame, a player like Maguire who has become the most expensive defender in the world arguably never produced as good a season as Bailly's first one at United under Mourinho. I would give him another try but given what's at stake I'd also understand if the club decide to offload him.

simmee

Surely Jones must be first out? Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe and a new CB doesn't sound unreasonable for a potential 60+ games season.

jamesjimmybyrondean

With Mengi being promoted along with Tuanzebe and a new CB I don't see a place for him. Tuanzebe and the new CB would be second choices and Mengi will need small game time to be eased in. Doesn't his contract end next season?

True it's a shame, a player like Maguire who has become the most expensive defender in the world arguably never produced as good a season as Bailly's first one at United under Mourinho. I would give him another try but given what's at stake I'd also understand if the club decide to offload him.
This is not a serious post?

Bailly showed a great deal of potential in that first season, and given he was a young player, adapting to a new league we were hopeful. Lots of players start of well, and he had a cracking first month. However, it was not some sort of great season he had, that’s utter revisionism if ever I’ve seen it, to suggest that was better than what Maguire has produced is a little out there!

Surely Jones must be first out? Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe and a new CB doesn't sound unreasonable for a potential 60+ games season.
Nearly. You forgot about Rojo!

Rojo. Jones, and Bailly all need to go in my opinion. Bailly should get another season, as you can’t get rid of all three in one go. Although we would hardly notice.

Kostov

I wouldn't go that far, Maguire has shown in continuity that he is a very dependable CB, something which Bailly never has, even though his potential after that first season looked great. Stability is what you want from your CBs and defenses are built on continuity, after that 1st season Bailly has been in and out of the team loosing so much time and development.

He should be together with Rojo.

AneRu

With Mengi being promoted along with Tuanzebe and a new CB I don't see a place for him. Tuanzebe and the new CB would be second choices and Mengi will need small game time to be eased in. Doesn't his contract end next season?
I think it's a but similar to the McTominay and Fred issue that we always point out. He and Tuanzebe are both injury prone so can't be relied on to be second and third choice because if one of Maguire/Lindelof, as things stand, picks up a long term injury those two won't last a couple of weeks as starters.

I think, funds permitting, we should buy a starting CB so that we can relegate Lindelof to a squad role and then have Tuanzebe as a third choice. That way we are guaranteed to have a quality back up CB that can play successive games without breaking down.

simmee

Nearly. You forgot about Rojo!

Rojo. Jones, and Bailly all need to go in my opinion. Bailly should get another season, as you can’t get rid of all three in one go. Although we would hardly notice.
Hah, actually completely forgot about him. Feels like we're constantly clearing out players but they never seem to go away.

AneRu

I wouldn't go that far, Maguire has shown in continuity that he is a very dependable CB, something which Bailly never has, even though his potential after that first season looked great. Stability is what you want from your CBs and defenses are built on continuity, after that 1st season Bailly has been in and out of the team loosing so much time and development.

He should be together with Rojo.
I would argue too much but I just think Bailly in his first season was sensational and maybe the trophies can cloud one's judgement. It's too bad he never built on that good start and never cut out that tendency to go gung ho, a factor which I think contributes to his fitness issues.

AneRu

This is not a serious post?

Bailly showed a great deal of potential in that first season, and given he was a young player, adapting to a new league we were hopeful. Lots of players start of well, and he had a cracking first month. However, it was not some sort of great season he had, that’s utter revisionism if ever I’ve seen it, to suggest that was better than what Maguire has produced is a little out there!
It could be nostalgia affecting my judgement. I think his form last for considerably longer than a month though.

It could be nostalgia affecting my judgement. I think his form last for considerably longer than a month though.
He started off on fire that first month. That first season is the best we have ever seen of him. I don’t think he’s ever got near those heights again, he was good the first 6 months or so, so yes longer than a month.

AneRu

He started off on fire that first month. That first season is the best we have ever seen of him. I don’t think he’s ever got near those heights again, he was good the first 6 months or so, so yes longer than a month.
And the frustrating thing is that the knowledge of heights he could reach will see him earn a new contract if he strings together a series of performances over a couple of months. We always fall for this shit its unreal.

Craig Ward

He looks erratic all the time - maybe its just his style but i constantly expect a mistake or for him to absolute clatter someone and get a red card.

Lindelof has the same vibe, it would never be a surprise if someone got the better of Lindelof but not to the extreme of Bailly.

I cant see Bailly ever settling into a regular starter for us - although he has good moments i think he's too error prone. He doesnt hide Maguire's flaws, which is ultimately what we need seeing as we put all our eggs in the Maguire basket.

He done ok against Lask but dont expect to see him starting the more important games.

Regarding his future - i'd sell both Jones/Smalling/Rojo before him so he may stay another season. If Tuanzebe stays fit and Mengi has another year if development i'd expect to see Bailly sold next summer.

AneRu

He looks erratic all the time - maybe its just his style but i constantly expect a mistake or for him to absolute clatter someone and get a red card.

Lindelof has the same vibe, it would never be a surprise if someone got the better of Lindelof but not to the extreme of Bailly.

I cant see Bailly ever settling into a regular starter for us - although he has good moments i think he's too error prone. He doesnt hide Maguire's flaws, which is ultimately what we need seeing as we put all our eggs in the Maguire basket.

He done ok against Lask but dont expect to see him starting the more important games.

Regarding his future - i'd sell both Jones/Smalling/Rojo before him so he may stay another season. If Tuanzebe stays fit and Mengi has another year if development i'd expect to see Bailly sold next summer.
Unless if he wants out I don't see a reason for selling him and keeping Bailly who can get injured in his sleep. With Smalling, at least you know he can give you fifty games in a season if needed. With Bailly two matches in succession looks like a tough ask.

Craig Ward

Unless if he wants out I don't see a reason for selling him and keeping Bailly who can get injured in his sleep. With Smalling, at least you know he can give you fifty games in a season if needed. With Bailly two matches in succession looks like a tough ask.
Sorry, but Smalling has no future here. Him, along with Jones and Rojo have to be sold permanently this summer

AneRu

Sorry, but Smalling has no future here. Him, along with Jones and Rojo have to be sold permanently this summer
And Bailly has, the same Bailly who cannot stay fit for over a month? This is a direct comparison between Smalling and Bailly, obviously after getting rid of the utter deadwood that is Jones and Rojo. Would you rather have an erratic Bailly that barely makes 20 appearances per season or Smalling who is a better defender even if he has his issues with the ball?

I think the best case scenario is we buy a starting CB and sell Smalling, Jones, Bailly and Rojo but that would leave us a bit shot with Maguire, New Signing, Lindelof and Tuanzebe and I suspect Smalling wants assurances as a starter and that's the only way Bailly gets to stay over him imo.

Craig Ward

And Bailly has, the same Bailly who cannot stay fit for over a month? This is a direct comparison between Smalling and Bailly, obviously after getting rid of the utter deadwood that is Jones and Rojo. Would you rather have an erratic Bailly that barely makes 20 appearances per season or Smalling who is a better defender even if he has his issues with the ball?

I think the best case scenario is we buy a starting CB and sell Smalling, Jones, Bailly and Rojo but that would leave us a bit shot with Maguire, New Signing, Lindelof and Tuanzebe and I suspect Smalling wants assurances as a starter and that's the only way Bailly gets to stay over him imo.
Id take a fit Bailly over Smalling.

Smallings not good enough and has been on loan - he wants to be a starter and he will never be 1st choice here.

Like i've said many times, we want to improve as a club. You dont do that by making backwards steps.

Smallings done here - Bailly may be useful as a back up for another year until he's sold.

I cant see us selling 4 CB's in one window and Smalling/Rojo/Jones all have to go as they do not play a part, even in a limited capacity.

AneRu

Id take a fit Bailly over Smalling.

Smallings not good enough and has been on loan - he wants to be a starter and he will never be 1st choice here.

Like i've said many times, we want to improve as a club. You dont do that by making backwards steps.

Smallings done here - Bailly may be useful as a back up for another year until he's sold.

I cant see us selling 4 CB's in one window and Smalling/Rojo/Jones all have to go as they do not play a part, even in a limited capacity.
A fit Bailly is a rare sight so it's a massive gamble to rely on him after a major CB cull.

Craig Ward

A fit Bailly is a rare sight so it's a massive gamble to rely on him after a major CB cull.
Its a massive gamble to rely on a player whose been here nearly 10 years and isnt good enough as well

AneRu

Its a massive gamble to rely on a player whose been here nearly 10 years and isnt good enough as well
With Smalling you know he can defend and will be fit when called upon. You seem to forget the defensive injury crises we used to have back in the day where we would find ourselves playing Carrick and Fletcher in defence, having Bailly as an important part of the team drastically increases the odds of that happening.

jeepers

You’re forgetting or ignoring the fact that Smalling left on loan because he didn’t want to be on the bench. What makes you think Ole will bench Lindelof for Smalling when you already know his decision the first time round?

And people are talking as if Tuanzebe doesn’t have injury issues of his own.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
All this talk about Gabriel and others, they aren't even better than Bailly.

He has this reputation for making mistakes but he's been excellent recently, he just needs to stop putting his head into dangerous places :lol: he's too brave.

A-man

Bailly is not to be trusted when it comes to staying fit. Also I am not sure where he stands as he has never been tested to play match after match in a long run, which he would need to do if we get a bad injury.

Smalling has been good at staying fit. This season however he has been out for injuries several times. Coincidence, or age catching him as he is turning 31 years old this year, nobody knows.

Imo Bailly could be a good backup for Lindelof but he is very poor in the air and could not replace long term for Maguire. Smalling is better in that case. We know that Lindelof and Smalling can play together as they have done that many times with both good and bad result.

A-man

You’re forgetting or ignoring the fact that Smalling left on loan because he didn’t want to be on the bench. What makes you think Ole will bench Lindelof for Smalling when you already know his decision the first time round?

And people are talking as if Tuanzebe doesn’t have injury issues of his own.
This is the thing. Ole wanted Lindelof, Tuanzebe and probably even Bailly to play instead of Smalling. I doubt that has changed now when everything has looked so good in the last 20 games or so.

jamesjimmybyrondean

All this talk about Gabriel and others, they aren't even better than Bailly.

He has this reputation for making mistakes but he's been excellent recently, he just needs to stop putting his head into dangerous places :lol: he's too brave.
They aren't better than Smalling and Lindelof also. We should just keep Smalling and spend the money on a DM if the plan for CB is to get the likes of Gabriel or Badiashile

KennyBurner

Fitness is the only problem, for all the ball playing discussions I feel Bailly is the most suited player for the role. His has very good composure and he brings the ball out of defense well. If he can stay fit, he will be very good option for us but relying on his fitness is like relying on Jones.
Not just that but he also has to improve on his concentration in game. I feel that’s his biggest weakness. Him not letting strikers get to the ball before him from a cross would be good. If he can improve that and his injury record we have a more suitable partner for Maguire. His aggression is massively needed for us at the back.

Not just that but he also has to improve on his concentration in game. I feel that’s his biggest weakness. Him not letting strikers get to the ball before him from a cross would be good. If he can improve that and his injury record we have a more suitable partner for Maguire. His aggression is massively needed for us at the back.
That will come with consistent game time though, and it has been recently. Most players need to settle into the team and get used to what is around them.

Bobski

When Bailly is playing well it looks as if he has everything you could get ever ask for in a CB. Speed, power, agility, aggressive combative mentality, confidence in one v one situations, an impressive spring, ability on the ball. He just looks smooth and classy with the bonus of loving dominating his direct opponent. Will then throw in some utterly random piece of absurdity.

The gap between his top and lowest level is far too extreme, he should be one of the top defenders in the country.

Grande

When Bailly is playing well it looks as if he has everything you could get ever ask for in a CB. Speed, power, agility, aggressive combative mentality, confidence in one v one situations, an impressive spring, ability on the ball. He just looks smooth and classy with the bonus of loving dominating his direct opponent. Will then throw in some utterly random piece of absurdity.

The gap between his top and lowest level is far too extreme, he should be one of the top defenders in the country.
He is the Nani of defenders.

A joy to watch when on song.

jesperjaap

For me Rojo, Smalling, Jones, Bailly in that order if we are to consider all the possible cb sales this summer

See a few rumours floating about regardign Bailly being offered to other clubs. Part of me thinks he is potentially our best defender. He is strong, fast, good in the tackle, good on the ball....but then the other half of me thinks there is too many rushes of blood to the head and too many injuries and this has been consistent for the is it three seasons now, the first of which showed great promise.

If we make a centre back signing personally wouldnt be against us selling him. We would still have five centre backs for two spots with Mengi and Tuanzabe available and in a three man defense there are other options too like Shaw for example.

Based Adnan

Surprised by some of the comments. That moment after the Fred mistake in the first half summed Bailly up for me. Went to ground committing himself, missed the ball and was very lucky to not cost us a penalty.

Always a mistake in him and not surprised he couldn't be trusted to see out the rest of the game on a yellow card.

Welbeckham

Totally dominated Wind physically, ref was way too harsh on him and generally gave them a lot of freekicks.

But there was this one incident where he was lucky not to concede a penalty, because the striker stayed up. Lindelöf also had his own occasion.

Andersonson

He has proven he can play against LASK and FCC. Lindelof was better when coming on though.

But, it was a solid enough performance and hopefully somebody will take the bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.