6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He has be great. Our most talented defender imo, just needs to keep himself fit and get some more composure and confidence.
and learn to head the ball properly and to improve his positioning.
That’s a hell of a lot to work on for a CB that’s 25.

He reminds me of Rio at times. Rio loved to showboat. Anyways good come back and let’s hope he can partner Maguire instead as they are better suited.
he’s never once reminded me of Rio. Or did you mean Anton Ferdinand? That’s a far more apt comparison.

reddevilchennai

Wish the Bailly of 2016 turns up from now on.
But he doesn't play well in 3 at the back system.
Happy that Bailly of 2016 had turned up against Chelsea.
Before this match the first 11 pages of this thread was full of negativity and people were slagging him.
And after a good performance, this thread has turned into full of praising him.

Bailly is a quality and he deserve a run of games.
If he stays fit, with a run of games, his concentration & decision making will improve a lot (for which he is being slagged).

PS: Maguire & Bailly is going to be our best CB partnership after Rio & Vidic.

jackal&hyde

and learn to head the ball properly and to improve his positioning.
That’s a hell of a lot to work on for a CB that’s 25.

he’s never once reminded me of Rio. Or did you mean Anton Ferdinand? That’s a far more apt comparison.
He can head the ball and knows positioning. It's his first game after one year you know.

Woodzy

Loved his performance against Chelsea, just think he is too erratic and will get caught out against the top forwards.

A-man

He can head the ball and knows positioning. It's his first game after one year you know.
I would say positioning and heading are two of his weaknesses. But his biggest weakness imo is poor judgement. He leaves his position and his area is exposed, he dribbles when a fast pass would be both better and more safe, etc. He walks a thin line. When he pulls it off, he is very entertaining. When he doesn’t pull it off, it’s costly. Would love to have someone with his skills, spontaneity and character at any other position, where a poor decision doesn’t cost so much.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
He does worry me, but it was certainly refreshing to see a defender who actually defends, unlike "Ice Man" who doesn't really do anything except hiding and backing off.

jackal&hyde

I would say positioning and heading are two of his weaknesses. But his biggest weakness imo is poor judgement. He leaves his position and his area is exposed, he dribbles when a fast pass would be both better and more safe, etc. He walks a thin line. When he pulls it off, he is very entertaining. When he doesn’t pull it off, it’s costly. Would love to have someone with his skills, spontaneity and character at any other position, where a poor decision doesn’t cost so much.
I agree with some of that but a lot of it comes down with playing regularly. Siting out so much is natural imo to make a defender more..enthusiastic so to speak. He is 25 but essentially lost the last couple of seasons of development. Like Fred, he has the natural talent imo and needs regular football to get comfortable game is game out.

EwanI Ted

I'm not going to go overboard on a single performance, but I will say that I've got fingers and toes crossed that he can recover from his injuries and show the form he showed in his first season with us. Partly because he looked such an outstanding prospect at times that season, it'd be a shame if that was just a flash in the pan. But mainly because he would be such a perfect foil for Maguire. Maguire could be the CB who steps forward, looks to intercept balls being played through, meets first headers and carries the ball into midfield, while Bailly would be the one who drops back, tracks runners who get past Maguire and generally uses his pace and tackling to mop up problems. That would let us play a nice high line.

Lindelof & Maguire just isnt a great partnership, they're too similar, particularly in their weaknesses. Bailly & Maguire (or indeed Bailly & Lindelof as a backup) would be a much better matchup.

A-man

I agree with some of that but a lot of it comes down with playing regularly. Siting out so much is natural imo to make a defender more..enthusiastic so to speak. He is 25 but essentially lost the last couple of seasons of development. Like Fred, he has the natural talent imo and needs regular football to get comfortable game is game out.
Yes the talent is there, for sure. Just think he lacks the basics, but maybe that will come with matches. Anyway, it is good to have him back. It has been a haunted position at United. 6-7 CBs but only two available.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Be fantastic for the lad to stay fit now till the summer. He deserves some luck. However the sad truth is we just can't rely on him. I'd be looking to move both him and Jones on this summer. We need players we can depend on.

Toblerone92

Yes he's mad and will mistakes. But we desperately need some athleticism at the back to help Maguire.

I am certain if it was Lindelof on Kovacic he would have crab-walked slowly with his hands behind his back towards him and the ball would be in the back of the net.
Such an accurate description of his defending :lol:.

I think he's the kind of player that will save you more points than he will cost you, and he is easily most athletic CB we have at present. Paired with Maguire for a good run of games I feel a real partnership could develop, with Slabhead telling him where to go and Bailly doing the business. A bit like a tank crew, with Maguire the driver and Bailly the high-explosive armour-piercing shell.

simplyared

With game time his confidence will increase and hopefully he can avoid picking up unecessary injuries. Let's hope he can string a few games together now and cement his place beside Maguire. Could even be used as RB!

Rob Bowman

Loved his performance against Chelsea, just think he is too erratic and will get caught out against the top forwards.
This is a fair concern... my hope is Maguire can marshal the back line taking Bailly's good traits and make them great while masking his weaknesses.

Time will tell but best of luck..

Oldyella

He does worry me, but it was certainly refreshing to see a defender who actually defends, unlike "Ice Man" who doesn't really do anything except hiding and backing off.
It's a reason why it was baffling we moved Smalling on without giving him a shot next to Maguire. Lindelof never felt the right partner for him. Hopefully Bailly can stay fit now and we can see how the partnership develops.

DCP

The improvement that a fit Bailly, playing alongside a leader, could make to this team is immense.
Quick, strong, athletic, can play football.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His role in Maguire’s goal seems to have received a lack of recognition on here. Credit must go to Ole too. It seems whenever we go away on these breaks we can see evidence of things that have been worked on. We had been blunt at set-pieces, but that was clearly a new tactic we’ve worked on, and it was effective.
How nice it was to actually see 2 of our players ATTACK a cross.

Usually we just stand there and jump on the spot, they were fighting for it. I love how brave he is, sometimes to a detriment to his own health :lol:

abk92

No matter how good or bad he plays, he's still a better defender than Lindelof because you know he actually tries to defend rather than hide all game. Hopefully he can stay fit until the end of the season, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ole puts Lindelof in the team once hes back because Ole has a hard on for using below average players (James, Lingard, Pereira).

Adamsk7

That performance reminded me how good he can be! Really pleased to have him back and playing well again - just needs to stay fit!

It’s further proof that we HAVE to partner Maguire with someone who has speed and aggression. It complements him so much more than Lindelof, who’s too passive. Bailly or Axel need to play - if they aren’t up to it then we need to bring someone in. I see Lindelof more as Maguire’s cover than his partner

A-man

This is a fair concern... my hope is Maguire can marshal the back line taking Bailly's good traits and make them great while masking his weaknesses.

This is also a little disadvantage with pairing Bailly and Maguire. Both have the strength to push forward but need someone to cover for them. If Maguire is going to “marshal” we lose his strength in going forward, plus he is not the ideal player to use for covering someone else as he is a bit slow and not very good when he is isolated 1-1 with a forward.
Pairing them probably works best in 3 at the back.

Based Adnan

Lots of praise for a player who made several glaring mistakes vs Chelsea that cost us on another day

Lindelof and Maguire make those mistakes and they'd be getting hammered despite the goal saving tackles

mu4c_20le

Lots of praise for a player who made several glaring mistakes vs Chelsea that cost us on another day

Lindelof and Maguire make those mistakes and they'd be getting hammered despite the goal saving tackles
First PL game in over 10 months after a bad injury, and thrown into the deep end in our most important game of the season.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Brilliant last night, on form and when fit he's nailed on first choice. Hopefully he can put a run together with Maguire.

Based Adnan

First PL game in over 10 months after a bad injury, and thrown into the deep end in our most important game of the season.
I agree and if you want to judge his performance on the back of those circumstances fine but there's posts calling for him to start every game

tjb

Much better than having to defend by himself 80 percent of the time. Lindelof is poor when all things are considered. It's no coincidence that him starting regularly led to us conceding so many goals last season. We have conceded the second most goals from corners this season. If you consider that McGuire is known for being great at dealing with aerial threats, it really does highlight how bad Lindelof is in Premier League defending. For me, you cannot win the league with a defender that is not comfortable with dealing with aerial pressure, not in England.

Andersonson

Happy that Bailly of 2016 had turned up against Chelsea.
Before this match the first 11 pages of this thread was full of negativity and people were slagging him.
And after a good performance, this thread has turned into full of praising him.

Bailly is a quality and he deserve a run of games.
If he stays fit, with a run of games, his concentration & decision making will improve a lot (for which he is being slagged).

PS: Maguire & Bailly is going to be our best CB partnership after Rio & Vidic.

" Bailly is quality. "

This one made me laugh. He has played one game all season and started 8 last season. Thats a top quality centreback right there!

We're a club thats wants to win titiles.If he was so good and has played so little (when he's fit he has been on the bench or not in the squad ) why aint other clubs in for him?

He is clearly our 4 th choice CB and it will stay that way once Lindelof and Tuanzebe er both fit again.

A-man

Much better than having to defend by himself 80 percent of the time. Lindelof is poor when all things are considered. It's no coincidence that him starting regularly led to us conceding so many goals last season. We have conceded the second most goals from corners this season. If you consider that McGuire is known for being great at dealing with aerial threats, it really does highlight how bad Lindelof is in Premier League defending. For me, you cannot win the league with a defender that is not comfortable with dealing with aerial pressure, not in England.
Your post makes no sense. The duo Maguire and Lindelof have played almost all PL matches together this season and the result has been good. Only three teams who have conceded less goals than United.

If you continue to look at stats you can see that Lindelof challenge exactly PL average amount of aerial challenges. He also wins average amount of aerial challenges. No less, no more. Bailly has in all seasons been one of the CBs who both challenge for and win the least amount of aerials in the entire PL.

Bailly has a lot of qualities but being strong in the air has never been one of them.

reddevilchennai

" Bailly is quality. "

This one made me laugh. He has played one game all season and started 8 last season. Thats a top quality centreback right there!

We're a club thats wants to win titiles.If he was so good and has played so little (when he's fit he has been on the bench or not in the squad ) why aint other clubs in for him?

He is clearly our 4 th choice CB and it will stay that way once Lindelof and Tuanzebe er both fit again.
Lindelof is a defender who runs away from the attacking player instead of tackling and one who is very slow. He and Maguire can not operate together.
Tuanzebe - Let him start few games in a row before making a judgement.

Many would prefer Bailly and Maguire partnership over Maguire and Lindelof partnership.

El Jefe

It will take far more than this for him to convince me. I remember when Jose was here we played Liverpool at OT and he got a start after an injury and he played incredible. Scored an own goal though and got injured shortly after.
Again last season he was fantastic in the home game against Chelsea but then had 2 moments of madness that could have ended in reds and he managed to get himself injured.

This is Bailly's career with us. From Rio to Phil Jones within games and over 10 game periods. Part of being a good CB is being reliable and nowhere close to being that. Erratic and injury prone.

Andersonson

Lindelof is a defender who runs away from the attacking player instead of tackling and one who is very slow. He and Maguire can not operate together.
Tuanzebe - Let him start few games in a row before making a judgement.

Many would prefer Bailly and Maguire partnership over Maguire and Lindelof partnership.
You want to make a judgement from Tuanzebe after a few games, but Maguire and Bailly has just played one game ever together in total? And Bailly last game for us was last April. Almost a year ago...

I've seen enough of Bailly in recent years to make a judgement. He aint good enough for a top 4 club. So he shouldnt be playing for us.

I agree on Lindelof though, I don't think he's good enough either, but he's better than Bailly.

reddevilchennai

You want to make a judgement from Tuanzebe after a few games, but Maguire and Bailly has just played one game ever together in total? And Bailly last game for us was last April. Almost a year ago...

I've seen enough of Bailly in recent years to make a judgement. He aint good enough for a top 4 club. So he shouldnt be playing for us.

I agree on Lindelof though, I don't think he's good enough either, but he's better than Bailly.
How many games has Tuanzebe played in PL when compared to Bailly?
Playing for Aston Villa in Championship is quite different from PL buddy.

Decomposing In Paris

I love him as a player, and wish he could just stay fit. It’s right that he’d have to win his place back with more than just one good performance... but he has a role to play here.

Status
Not open for further replies.