Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number32

It was a hand ball but not a penalty based on rules of the game. VAR only shows the replay when Baily's hand enter the box then draws the line, but the ball hit his arm way before that. Its like when someone got tackled then diving in to the box, should be a freekick.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
This guy baffles me more than anyone else . He has all the tools to be a great CB but he's a mental fecker.
He's quick good in the air good on the ball. He can carry the ball from defence to midfield and look like a superstar but then he can do like he did today or something other as stupid and cost you a game .
He’s anything but good in the air, it’s quite easily the worst aspect of his game really.

ghagua

Both Bailly and Lindelof won't win a header with a player miles away from them.

Morpheus 7

I think Bailly has talent and a tonne of good attributes. It doesn't matter though, he's unpredictable and unreliable. You can't have that anarchy in a backline. I simply don't trust him to be fit for a long period. Combined with strange decision making it's not what we need. Loan or sell him, waste of time going forward with Bailly. He's like a mix of Jones and Rojo for all the wrong reasons. It's a shame because he can do outstanding things, just mental things too.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His defending and passing were fine. That "handball" was borderline, and I think this was the first time he did it. Combined with his rustiness, maybe we should give him a pass.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
His defending and passing were fine. That "handball" was borderline, and I think this was the first time he did it. Combined with his rustiness, maybe we should give him a pass.
Could not agree more with this, it wasn’t a penalty and it was a poor knock back from Matic, he went for it as he didn’t want to concede a corner. He’s hardly played for months and gives his all when he does. What impressed me was that given he was unfairly penalised in his first few seconds on the pitch he didn’t let it affect the rest of his game at all. He’s a quality player.

SteveW

Bailly gonna Bailly. He lacks the intelligence to be a CB at the highest level. It's a recurring issue. That, his injury record and shite heading are the reasons why people need to stop expecting him to be the answer here.

I don't expect him to be here in a years time.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
No those aren’t rules. Calm down your little rant. I’m a fan of knowing what the laws of the game are. Who passed the ball, how close an opposition player are and the intensity in which the ball hit the hand are not rules nor are they “context” when applying the hand ball rule.

Bailly has nothing to do with you making up your own rules.
I thought I cleared this up already :rolleyes:

Bobski

He is a random man, but that pen was a joke. Awful pass from Matic, awful from Maguire in the preceding passage that led to the post being hit, perhaps Bailly could have allowed the ball to go over his head and just ran it down, but the pass is so poor for a player just on that I can't blame him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That goal was just pure madness. Ludicrous ball from Matic and would any other defender end up giving a pen away there?!

We need a real think about centre back.
Jones and Rojo without any doubt need shipping.
But Bailly is so unreliable both in form and availability.

Without any doubt we need to bring a quality centre back in, ideally to downgrade Lindelof to a rotational player.

spe88

We need to move Bailly on with Jones and Rojo.

Bring in a real top CB and we’ll have 4 choices with Maguire, Lindelof and Tuanzebe

POF

Poor guy can't win with some posters on here, if he'd had let it go out for a corner you guys would have slated him for not making an attempt to control the ball.
Who cares who would have slated him or not? He's a defender and his job is to identify the danger. When you're standing in the box and the ball comes flying at you from an overhead pass do you:

a) Try to control it at the top of your shoulder on the stretch with your arm outstretched; or
b) Let it go for a corner.

If you answered (a) you shouldn't play in defence for Manchester United.

When I saw it live my first thought was penalty. After seeing the replay it was touch and go but the way he raised his arm towards the ball was a massive risk. If the Bournemouth winger timed his run better a few minutes later it would have been 3-3 and a very different game.

lex talionis

Way too harsh on Bailly here. It wasn’t a pen but he clearly shouldn’t have raised his arm. After that, he settled down quite well. As a third or fourth CB he’s quite good, but I am coming around to the view that we need to bring in a top CB to partner with Maguire. Lindelof, Bailly amd Tuanzebe to round out the squad. Let Jones and Rojo go. Smalling too but I’ll defer to others who have watched him in Serie A as yo what to do about Smalling.

Based Adnan

Always capable of a braindead moment. Poor pass but to lift his arm to try and control it is idiotic.

Revan

Assumptionman
Pretty much this. The pass was stupid, and what Bailly did was brain dead. We absolutely should criticize him and the wrong VAR decision.
It was not the wrong VAR decision. We can criticize the current rules for the penalty which are kind of stupid (at times they benefit us like they did against PSG) but it had nothing to do with VAR. In fact the penalty was given from the ref, and VAR just confirmed it (it touched the hand, and it was inside the box).

I don't think it was a handball. Looked to me like it came off his shoulder/armpit area.
According the the current rules that's still handball. They were supposed to change in June but because of the virus the league is still playing to the old set. Next season it won't be handball.

Either way, it's the natural instinct of any player to try to control that ball. You can't blame Bailly for going for it, any of our other players would have done the same. It was just a terrible back pass and hit with so much pace there was no time to adjust.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nobody can blame Bailly for that. Matic played him a shockingly bad pass and yes maybe he should have let it go out for a corner instead but then we'd be on the back foot.

Anyway after that he had a solid game. King was invisible in the 2nd compared to the 1st.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Nobody can blame Bailly for that. Matic played him a shockingly bad pass and yes maybe he should have let it go out for a corner instead but then we'd be on the back foot.

Anyway after that he had a solid game. King was invisible in the 2nd compared to the 1st.
Of course we can. It was a ridiculous pass by Matic and it was an even more ridiculous reaction by Bailly. Just because somebody makes an error to put you under pressure doesn't mean you have to make the worst possible reaction to it.

OldTrevil

Bailly had a good half of football, not focusing on it and instead choosing to magnify a non-penalty incident that should never have been given by VAR, is ridiculous.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We have serious problems still at center half. Maguire and Lindelof is easily our best pairing. The most reliable. But.....it needs to be better. We need a top quality partner for Maguire, because as good as Maguire is, he's no VVD. He's prone to mistakes himself.

Bailly is not good enough. He's always been rash and unreliable. He's terrible in the air, and he's prone to epic brain farts. I have no idea what he thinks he's trying to do to control the ball like that. Should've just let it go out for a corner. Terrible pass from Matic, but Bailly trying to bring it down with his shoulder/arm could've led to all sorts of problems. And it did. Plonker.

Smalling, Jones and Rojo just aren't good enough and need to go. Tuanzebe is permanently injured. Needs to go out on loan again and prove he can stay fit for a whole season. We can't rely on his as is. And Lindelof is decent but I'd only want him as third choice, not a starter. Our CB department is a shambles but I trust Ole to clean it up. His recruitment has been superb.

poleglass red

let the ball go out for a corner, of course that's what he should have done. It was a catalogue of errors, Maguire pass to Matic wasn't great, Matic pass to Bailly of course was terrible, but let the ball run out for a corner. You'd rather take your chances at a corner than on a penalty. He had a decent 2nd half, but that's him in a nutshell, one loss of concentration and a game we were cruising in, is suddenly at 3-2.You can argue match fitness etc and there is that argument to be made, but we've seen this too many times from him even when he is match fit.

Dr. McBeasty

Agreed, Matic definitely was most to blame for that (though the ball did appear to take a nasty hop right before he kicked it), but given that Bailly was likely expecting/mentally prepared for a ball to his feet in that situation, it's hard to blame him for attempting to control it, just bad luck that it just missed his chest. Outside of that I thought he played just fine.

Devil may care

Hope he's alright, his backheel pass was one of the more entertaining things we produced today.

Hopefully he’s ok, was annoying to see people blaming him for his injury in the match day thread.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Looked a horrible knock, especially coming so quick after the other one.

Some players just seem to have super bad luck though, and he strikes me as a classic example.

A-man

We did t get to see him much, but he seems to fit a 3 at the back pretty well.

Moiraine

We were fine until he was on the pitch, then our 80 million man happened.

Red00012

He’s better than Lindelöf but he’s a Phil Jones Mark 2 regarding injuries.

Hope he’s ok

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Hopefully he’s ok, was annoying to see people blaming him for his injury in the match day thread.
How? Maguire headed him, and couldn't have been a call for Bailly to leave it, feel for the guy, always gives his all, and had some terrible luck. More ammunition for 'Bailly's always injured' brigade.

How? Maguire headed him, and couldn't have been a call for Bailly to leave it, feel for the guy, always gives his all, and had some terrible luck. More ammunition for 'Bailly's always injured' brigade.
Honestly, I don’t even know what they were watching.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Pretty sure he has concussion. Seen it before where people get up then fall down again. Hopefully nothing worse

Status
Not open for further replies.