Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Not that I wouldn't like that but at this stage what you see is what you get. It's just his natural game. If he needs to think about his actions instead of following his instinct then he's not making that last second block. It's like asking Bruno to cut out risky passes. What you get is a safer but less effective player.
Not really a valid comparison, Fernandes could try 10 risky passes and as long as 1 or 2 come off then job done. For a centre back one poor decision can cost your team the game.

So yeah with Fernandes asking him to be less creative would affect his productivity. But for a centre back being rash and risky is a negative. If he can't grow out of his crazy moments then whether he stays fit or not he'll never be a top centre back. While he's still young he's not exactly a youngster either, he should have naturally calmed down and have much more composure to his game by now. Maybe injuries have delayed that process i don't know but hopefully the penny will drop for him sooner rather than later.

United58

Keep him fit, and, next to Maguire (given the issues other teams have), we arguably have the best defence in the league?

romufc

It just goes to show how much of a difference a quick defender makes.

The games we have played with Bailly in the last month, we have seen better team performances. Maguire looks more comfortable.

Injuries is his biggest concern.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Keep him fit, and, next to Maguire (given the issues other teams have), we arguably have the best defence in the league?
It's not just about fitness for Bailly, he also needs to be consistent performance-wise. In the past even when he's stayed fit he's ended up being dropped because of poor performances, with his only real run of consistently good performances happening in the first few months of his first season (I guess you could say there was a month or two later that season as well).

He's always been 'potentially' the best central defender we have, but it's been in the way that Quaresma supposedly had more potential than Ronaldo when they were coming through at Sporting. It doesn't mean anything if you're not showing it week-in week-out on the pitch. Fingers crossed maybe this is the start of it, but I'm not exactly going to hold my breath.

Redlyn

Not really a valid comparison, Fernandes could try 10 risky passes and as long as 1 or 2 come off then job done. For a centre back one poor decision can cost your team the game.

So yeah with Fernandes asking him to be less creative would affect hispl productivity. But for a centre back being rash and risky is a negative. If he can't grow out of his crazy moments then whether he stays fit or not he'll never be a top centre back. While he's still young he's not exactly a youngster either, he should have naturally calmed down and have much more composure to his game by now. Maybe injuries have delayed that process i don't know but hopefully the penny will drop for him sooner rather than later.
Nah I stand by my comparison. The two situations don't need to be identical or have the same impact (and wastefulness does have some impact like lack of midfield control and conceding a goal after giving away the ball in our own half) It's just an example of two players where if you try change a negative aspect of their game you lose half of the player.

Everyone would love for Bailly to cut out rash aspects of his game. But i don't see it happening. He is just a mad fella. He plays on the front foot, is aggressive, throws his body on the line and will get to the ball acrobatically. That's literally his game and major changes won't happen at this stage of his career. You subdue him, make him second guess himself, you concede that last goal attempt. The only way out is to get a different player who defends in a different way.

IF he can put together a run of games, continue to defend strongly with relatively few punished errors, maybe we can live with it. Remains to be seen.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Brilliant for me. Let’s put off a massive buy for now and see whether Bailly can make it to the end of the season unscathed.

stevoc

Nah I stand by my comparison. The two situations don't need to be identical or have the same impact (and wastefulness does have some impact like lack of midfield control and conceding a goal after giving away the ball in our own half) It's just an example of two players where if you try change a negative aspect of their game you lose half of the player.

Everyone would love for Bailly to cut out rash aspects of his game. But i don't see it happening. He is just a mad fella. He plays on the front foot, is aggressive, throws his body on the line and will get to the ball acrobatically. That's literally his game and major changes won't happen at this stage of his career. You subdue him, make him second guess himself, you concede that last goal attempt. The only way out is to get a different player who defends in a different way.

IF he can put together a run of games, continue to defend strongly with relatively few punished errors, maybe we can live with it. Remains to be seen.
Well I suspect that will be the answer if he doesn’t cut out the crazy shit.

I don’t buy this idea that he needs to be bonkers to make a block either. Against Leicester he made an insane attempt to block a a shot that went in when simply stepping to his right might well have stopped the shot. Having a more composed and less reckless Eric bailly definitely wouldn’t lead to him being a lesser player.

We’ll see, against villa he looked calmer and less nuts. Hopefully that can continue if he stays fit.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I can see it now, Bailly gets injured against City or Burnley, Maguire gets his 5th booking against Burnley and they both miss the Liverpool game

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A part of me wants him to cool down just a little bit, to not risk red cards and injuries to him self and others, but i kinda love the crazy guy just as he is as well. Hard to decide
I think he has to learn how to control situations without going mental, otherwise he'll always be a ropey defender. There's so much potential there and it just needs him to learn how to react in specific situations - when to be aggressive and when not to - for it to be tapped. But there are many talented defenders who never get that right. As a defender, concentration and decision making are absolutely key. Vidic is a great example. When he went in he went in hard, but he had that sense not to do it aimlessly.

Kostov

He is so fecking unpredictable isn't he? :lol:

Opposition attackers never know what they are gonna get, a tackle or a kick in the face. At least 10 potential red cards and penalties in that video :lol:

Give me a fit Bailly over Lindelof anytime, and I've grown fond of Victor recently.

Gordon S

I think he has to learn how to control situations without going mental, otherwise he'll always be a ropey defender. There's so much potential there and it just needs him to learn how to react in specific situations - when to be aggressive and when not to - for it to be tapped. But there are many talented defenders who never get that right. As a defender, concentration and decision making are absolutely key. Vidic is a great example. When he went in he went in hard, but he had that sense not to do it aimlessly.
Have to agree with all of that. He is always on a knifes edge it feels. Right now we love him as he manages to balance just on the right side, but i could easily see him send Mane into orbit on Anfield and that could be the end of it. I just hope that he will cool it down a notch as he plays more and builds confidence.

Devil1

BRANDED: Part Time dipper supporter
Learned what?

Because he's had 2 bad knee injuries before that's it you write him off?

He might play the rest of the season, stay fit and be a star. He might get injured in the next match and we won't see him again - but it doesn't mean we shouldn't give him the chance to play while he's here and under contract.

Ledley King was the same and always played whenever possible. Until we get somebody who's clearly better and stays fit then we deal with what we have.
Clearly his injury record leaves a lot to be desired. I am (optimistically) trying to think of players who have turned things around (not just wrapped in cotton wool like King). Can anyone think of good examples to give us hope?

The Original

He is so fecking unpredictable isn't he? :lol:

Opposition attackers never know what they are gonna get, a tackle or a kick in the face. At least 10 potential red cards and penalties in that video :lol:

Give me a fit Bailly over Lindelof anytime, and I've grown fond of Victor recently.
I honestly don't think Bailly is uncontrollably rash. I think that when he does go over the top, there is usually an element of premeditation to it as opposed to simply losing his head.

hubbuh

:lol: that was great fun/anxiety-inducing. That spin he does after flooring the player at 3:01 shows what sort of mindset he has. He's full of beans and I'm sure relishes the battle. It's really great to have a proactive centre back, though. Someone that loves to get in the thick of it. For Maguire's big stature, he's a bit too standoffish and passive at times. Bailly really imposes himself on forwards.

Rolaholic

:lol: that was great fun/anxiety-inducing. That spin he does after flooring the player at 3:01 shows what sort of mindset he has. He's full of beans and I'm sure relishes the battle. It's really great to have a proactive centre back, though. Someone that loves to get in the thick of it. For Maguire's big stature, he's a bit too standoffish and passive at times. Bailly really imposes himself on forwards.
His battles, with a similarly relentless attacker in his own right in Vardy, have been some of the most entertaining player h2h's since he joined us.

Would wager to bet that he'd be near the top of the list if you asked him with defenders he most hates to face :lol: ,he makes him pay physically for everything he gets each time.

hubbuh

His battles, with a similarly relentless attacker in his own right in Vardy, have been some of the most entertaining player h2h's since he joined us.

Would wager to bet that he'd be near the top of the list if you asked him with defenders he most hates to face :lol: ,he makes him pay physically for everything he gets each time.
I reckon you're bang on! Like @Kostov said, can you imagine as a forward trying to read him and predict what he's likely to do?! It'd be a nightmare!! It's fantastic having a defender that leaves a mark on the opposition. Long live King Bailly!!!

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Pretty much the same way Vidic used to. It would be interesting to see Vidic playing now, as the interpretation of the rules regarding tackling seemed to have changed somewhat. It seems that any defender, nowadays, has only to make a slight contact with an opposing player, when winning the ball, for said player to crash screaming to the ground writhing in agony whilst the ref 'sprints' to the tackling player to show them a red/yellow card.

TsuWave

Troy Deeney, one of the most physical strikers, named dropped Bailly as someone you don’t want to come up against as a forward. I’m sure nobody has a great time playing against him. Our other CB’s are too passive.

Fingeredmouse

Clearly his injury record leaves a lot to be desired. I am (optimistically) trying to think of players who have turned things around (not just wrapped in cotton wool like King). Can anyone think of good examples to give us hope?
RVP

Rolaholic

Troy Deeney, one of the most physical strikers, named dropped Bailly as someone you don’t want to come up against as a forward. I’m sure nobody has a great time playing against him. Our other CB’s are too passive.
Not surprised, Deeney knows ball :cool:

Like @Harry Harries said, he would be an absolute nightmare to face if I were a striker :lol:

stevoc

I reckon you're bang on! Like @Kostov said, can you imagine as a forward trying to read him and predict what he's likely to do?! It'd be a nightmare!! It's fantastic having a defender that leaves a mark on the opposition. Long live King Bailly!!!
There's only one King Eric.

Mike Smalling

Absolute madman! Really fun to watch, but there were probably 3-4 near misses that could easily have been red cards in that video :lol:

Was thinking Robben, but then I checked his total season appearances across his career, and it doesn't really seem he ever fixed it. Giggs maybe? Struggled with injuries until he picked up yoga.

A-man

It’s interesting to see how Bailly always bring out extreme ratings from fans. It’s the same every time in the cycle when he is fit to play. If he plays badly, everybody focuses on his mistakes and he’s the worst ever seen. If he plays well, he’s considered world class and our best defender.

He’s been good lately. But even if we look at the two last matches that were his best, people react like he’s taken us to a new level or something. He hasn’t. It’s the same level Maguire and Lindelof have performed at for many matches now. Which is good, because that means we can continue our long row of games as undefeated in the PL and fight for the title even if we play a bench player everybody wanted to get rid of after the Spurs game.

DCP

It’s interesting to see how Bailly always bring out extreme ratings from fans. It’s the same every time in the cycle when he is fit to play. If he plays badly, everybody focuses on his mistakes and he’s the worst ever seen. If he plays well, he’s considered world class and our best defender.

He’s been good lately. But even if we look at the two last matches that were his best, people react like he’s taken us to a new level or something. He hasn’t. It’s the same level Maguire and Lindelof have performed at for many matches now. Which is good, because that means we can continue our long row of games as undefeated in the PL and fight for the title even if we play a bench player everybody wanted to get rid of after the Spurs game.
Mainly because he’s either excellent or shocking. Rarely just an average game. He’s been excellent since returning so hopefully some consistency.

Kostov

I honestly don't think Bailly is uncontrollably rash. I think that when he does go over the top, there is usually an element of premeditation to it as opposed to simply losing his head.
He is but yes I agree sometime he does some things on purpose and with intent to rough some feathers. His body just fails him too often.

lost7

In the last couple of games it also feels like he's improved in the air and as always his pace really helps him out in some sticky situations. I still think I'd prefer if we had a more reliable centre back, but as long as he plays this well I prefer him over Lindelof. Hopefully the lad stays fit the whole season!

A-man

Mainly because he’s either excellent or shocking. Rarely just an average game. He’s been excellent since returning so hopefully some consistency.
My point is that most of the time he is neither shocking, nor excellent. He has not been “excellent” since his return. Same level as the other two CBs.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
My point is that most of the time he is neither shocking, nor excellent. He has not been “excellent” since his return. Same level as the other two CBs.
Well that's just not true, he has put in some excellent displays against Leicester, wolves and Villa - they only mistake was the vardy goal in 3 matches now.

romufc

I think what the inclusion of Bailly does goes underrated. He allows us to play higher up the pitch, the team can press better, we do not get exposed in behind.

Bailly covers the cross better because he just puts his body on the line, yes he is rash which is a negative but on the whole, we see a better Maguire too.

KW2006

According to track record, after continuously world class performances, he is due a woeful one/big brainfart I am afraid.

A-man

I think what the inclusion of Bailly does goes underrated. He allows us to play higher up the pitch, the team can press better, we do not get exposed in behind.

Bailly covers the cross better because he just puts his body on the line, yes he is rash which is a negative but on the whole, we see a better Maguire too.
We have played a slightly higher line in 1 or 2 of his three matches, but I wouldn’t say we played a very high line against Villa. We haven’t really pressed much more in our last matches either. If we compare current form, Lindelof has added more to the attack with 1 goal and 1 assist in his last two matches in that position.

When it comes to defence, Bailly is better at winning back the ball early, but worse in other areas, especially at reading the game and his awareness. I think he is also quite poor in the box. He had a good block in the box at the end of last match but shots have also slipped through, he is weak in the air like when Watkins almost scored, and then Vardy’s goal. All together he has played well, but I don’t agree he’s been excellent, world class or added anything new. Ok maybe slightly higher line, but again, Lindelof just had both an assist and a goal.

In the end, if we’re going to win the PL we need all three CBs fit and playing well. Within a few matches Maguire will be suspended for a fifth yellow and that will be a test. Hopefully Lindelof is back and we will see him and Bailly play together. If we face teams playing on the ground I strongly believe Bailly/Lindelof will be a better pair than Bailly /Maguire.

A-man

Well that's just not true, he has put in some excellent displays against Leicester, wolves and Villa - they only mistake was the vardy goal in 3 matches now.
He seems to have his own scale if he was “excellent” in those matches.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He seems to have his own scale if he was “excellent” in those matches.
Well Lindelof is back in tonight so I’m hoping he can reach 50% of Baillys level!

Status
Not open for further replies.