Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

Well Lindelof is back in tonight so I’m hoping he can reach 50% of Baillys level!
If he keeps another clean sheet against City, like a few weeks ago, we should be happy.

You have to be Lindelof’s or Lindelof’s missus’ account.
Very good post, you must be happy with yourself. But my observation is true. He has his own scale here. The rating “excellent” for his last three matches doesn’t match the ratings he has got from outside this forum. And speaking about Lindelof, his ratings have been higher. Probably also Maguires ratings.

criticalanalysis

You have to be Lindelof’s or Lindelof’s missus’ account.
:lol:

It’s interesting to see how Bailly always bring out extreme ratings from fans. It’s the same every time in the cycle when he is fit to play. If he plays badly, everybody focuses on his mistakes and he’s the worst ever seen. If he plays well, he’s considered world class and our best defender.

He’s been good lately. But even if we look at the two last matches that were his best, people react like he’s taken us to a new level or something. He hasn’t. It’s the same level Maguire and Lindelof have performed at for many matches now. Which is good, because that means we can continue our long row of games as undefeated in the PL and fight for the title even if we play a bench player everybody wanted to get rid of after the Spurs game.
Can agree with all of your post except the bolded. His general performance and effectiveness on the pitch is patently of a higher standard to Lindelof.

There's a reason why everyone is wildly (over) praising his performances. Of course the truth is always somewhere in the middle and it's a been a small sample size but it's unfair to reduce Bailly's partnership thus far and make it sound like something Lindelof has been delivering week in week out. If Lindelof was producing these displays, you would be the first to say 'great game, contained their attackers proactively and played really progressively with the ball' i.e something you just don't hear many times in the Lindelof thread.

I think it was you, who said you hated Cavani at PSG ecause he was Ibra's rival or something. Be honest with yourself, you're being overly critical and harsh on Bailly because he's getting a lot of love, which is directly and indirectly affecting the rating of your favourite Swede.

Very good post, you must be happy with yourself. But my observation is true. He has his own scale here. The rating “excellent” for his last three matches doesn’t match the ratings he has got from outside this forum. And speaking about Lindelof, his ratings have been higher. Probably also Maguires ratings.
I'm not really going to trawl through the internet but this is simply untrue. There's many people commenting on how good he has been (if a little exaggerated). When has Lindelof ever been embraced by his team mates after a game and getting praise from Ole? They know a good performance when they see it.

A-man

:lol:

Can agree with all of your post except the bolded. His general performance and effectiveness on the pitch is patently of a higher standard to Lindelof.

There's a reason why everyone is wildly (over) praising his performances. Of course the truth is always somewhere in the middle and it's a been a small sample size but it's unfair to reduce Bailly's partnership thus far and make it sound like something Lindelof has been delivering week in week out. If Lindelof was producing these displays, you would be the first to say 'great game, contained their attackers proactively and played really progressively with the ball' i.e something you just don't hear many times in the Lindelof thread.

I think it was you, who said you hated Cavani at PSG ecause he was Ibra's rival or something. Be honest with yourself, you're being overly critical and harsh on Bailly because he's getting a lot of love, which is directly and indirectly affecting the rating of your favourite Swede.

I'm not really going to trawl through the internet but this is simply untrue. There's many people commenting on how good he has been (if a little exaggerated). When has Lindelof ever been embraced by his team mates after a game and getting praise from Ole? They know a good performance when they see it.
Of course it could be me not being objective, because I prefer both Maguire and Lindelof over Bailly, and because I think they deserve more credit than they get, as they have been critical parts of a team that is challenging for the title.

Bailly has played three PL games since his return. If we compare them with Lindelof’s last three and see what people outside this forum think about them, you will see that most people agree with me. Here are the ratings from some well known but randomly picked papers, plus the Whoscored ratings for both last three PL matches:

Bailly average rating 6.48
Lindelof average rating 7.12

Actually Lindelof got better ratings by quite a large margin. This kind of indicate that Bailly tends to be overly praised at this forum. (As well as overly criticised when he plays badly)

Bailly:
Leicester
Manchester evening news: 6
Express: 6
Daily mail : 6
Mirror: 5
The Sun: 6
Whoscored rating 6.26

Wolves
Manchester evening news: 7
Express: 6
Daily mail : 6
Whoscored rating 6.92

Aston Villa
Manchester evening news: 8
Express: 8
Daily mail : 7
The Sun: 7
Whoscored rating 6.55

Lindelof
City
Manchester evening news: 6
Express: 7
Daily mail : 7
Mirror: 7
Whoscored rating: 6.89

Sheffield United
Express: 8
Mirror: 8
Whoscored rating 7.54

Leeds
Express: 7
Mirror: 7
The Sun: 8
Whoscored rating 7.30

croadyman

Yes I know with his injury issues it was a risk playing him tonight but we could have rested against him on Saturday instead and at least put out our best defence against City but Ole picked his boy Victor and we pay the price as a result

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yes I know with his injury issues it was a risk playing him tonight but we could have rested against him on Saturday instead and at least put out our best defence against City but Ole picked his boy Victor and we pay the price as a result
he isn't resting Bailly, he dropped him.

There's no chance he plays Bailly saturday and tuesday now.

What a way to repay the guy that just saved your ass against Villa :lol:

A-man

I know you really like Bailly and it was a great block, but tbh it wouldn't be super strange if Ole went back to Lindelof/Maguire. They are our established pair who played more or less every PL game together for 1.5 season when everybody else was injured. With them we have taken us back to the top and with them we have been able to play our most offensive football in terms of goals scored. Personally, I think we will see more rotation now.

Adam-Utd

I know you really like Bailly and it was a great block, but tbh it wouldn't be super strange if Ole went back to Lindelof/Maguire. They are our established pair who played more or less every PL game together for 1.5 season when everybody else was injured. With them we have taken us back to the top and with them we have been able to play our most offensive football in terms of goals scored. Personally, I think we will see more rotation now.
Established in the past doesn't mean better.

There's a reason why people still talk about needing a new CB, and so far the Lindelof / Maguire partnership has failed to be anything but average.

pascell

Hindsight is a beautiful thing but I was concerned that we swapped him out for Lindelof. I thought we'd have been better letting Lindelof play at the weekend and Bailly last night and then next Tuesday.

A-man

Established in the past doesn't mean better.

There's a reason why people still talk about needing a new CB, and so far the Lindelof / Maguire partnership has failed to be anything but average.
You say average, but it has allowed us to get to the top of PL again, concede very few goals in open play and at the same time score a lot of goals. That is probably worth something to Ole. However we don’t know how he is reasoning. Maybe he prefers Bailly, maybe not. Maybe he will rotate. In the end we need three capable CBs and right now we have that.

Adam-Utd

You say average, but it has allowed us to get to the top of PL again, concede very few goals in open play and at the same time score a lot of goals. That is probably worth something to Ole. However we don’t know how he is reasoning. Maybe he prefers Bailly, maybe not. Maybe he will rotate. In the end we need three capable CBs and right now we have that.
Let's not pretend it's our solid defensive record that's got us there!

Obviously they aren't completely useless, but it's an area we can definitely improve upon.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
My only thought as to why Bailey didn't start was because Ole probably figured City would have most of the possession and we would be sitting in a low block. So with that his speed wouldn't be as necessary as it would be against a team that we are going to have the majority of the play against. Lindelof is better positionally so that means he gets the start ahead of him. But we will see if that is true. If it's Lindelof and Maguire vs Burnley then Ole just likes that pairing better...

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
My only thought as to why Bailey didn't start was because Ole probably figured City would have most of the possession and we would be sitting in a low block. So with that his speed wouldn't be as necessary as it would be against a team that we are going to have the majority of the play against.
The main reason was, probably, that he still plays for Bayer-04.

A-man

Let's not pretend it's our solid defensive record that's got us there!

Obviously they aren't completely useless, but it's an area we can definitely improve upon.
We can improve for sure. As written before, Lindelof and Maguire have conceded very few goals in open play but many at corners. There is no 1 we need to improve.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Are you really getting your panties in a bunch because I spelled his name wrong? If you're going to reply to every post with a "speling mistaek" you are going to be a very busy boy
I have a particular beef with those who spell Bailly's name wrong because somehow it's a common mistake even though he's been here for 4 years now and his name is literally written on his shirt. I'd be equally triggered if someone were to write Marsial or Skoles.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I have a particular beef with those who spell Bailly's name wrong because somehow it's a common mistake even though he's been here for 4 years now and his name is literally written on his shirt. I'd be equally triggered if someone were to write Marsial or Skoles.
From now on I will make sure to spell it wrong

hubbuh

We've conceded more goals than Fulham in the PL. Only 6 teams have conceded more goals than us in the entire league. We aren't top of the league by virtue of an incredibly leaky defence, we're joint top in spite of it. It also cost us in the CL, as we conceded some inexplicable goals.

croadyman

Yeah makes me feel physically sick that he just dropped him after the last few games

Holocene

Can it not be a case of Ole managing his games carefully? Given he's incredibly injury prone.

Sylar

How many games has Axel played with Maguire? I dont think many managers would do that.

I wanted Bailly to start yesterday and then get the rest on weekend, but im also not privvy to the data that Ole has with regards fitness, managing his games etc. Bailly should start vs Burnley though and going forward until he gets an injury.

croadyman

Hindsight is a beautiful thing but I was concerned that we swapped him out for Lindelof. I thought we'd have been better letting Lindelof play at the weekend and Bailly last night and then next Tuesday.
Yeah that was what sensible managers would have done but Ole is obsessed with playing this pair even though it clearly is a liability and just doesn't work at all

croadyman

How many games has Axel played with Maguire? I dont think many managers would do that.

I wanted Bailly to start yesterday and then get the rest on weekend, but im also not privvy to the data that Ole has with regards fitness, managing his games etc. Bailly should start vs Burnley though and going forward until he gets an injury.
He should have at least tried it yesterday and if it didn't work then bring on Bailly but certainly not Lindelof

Sylar

He should have at least tried it yesterday and if it didn't work then bring on Bailly but certainly not Lindelof
Im sure fans would have loved ole for that in the semi final if it backfired spectacularly

dev1l

Yeah that was what sensible managers would have done but Ole is obsessed with playing this pair even though it clearly is a liability and just doesn't work at all
Considering the injury record of the other cb s he doesn't have much options.

H10

Huseyin 10
So inspired by Bailly's performances of late, I decided to make a short compilation showcasing his funny human qualities both on and off the pitch! Hope you like it!

In case anyone missed it!

stevoc

Did he not?

Who has been the first choice centre halves that have played most of thee games over the last 18 months?

croadyman

Did he not?

Who has been the first choice centre halves that have played most of thee games over the last 18 months?
Those two but still don't rate the partnership at all because makes us defend far too deep

Teja

So play AXEL then not bloody LINDELOF
Right - drop the defender who's been consistently playing for us for a year and a half and throw in a young player in a high pressure semi final. Makes total sense.

croadyman

Right - drop the defender who's been consistently playing for us for a year and a half and throw in a young player in a high pressure semi final. Makes total sense.
He just looked so confident against PSG and did a number on two of the best in the world that's why I wanted him to play

stevoc

Those two but still don't rate the partnership at all because makes us defend far too deep
I don't particularly rate the partnership myself, but both have proven reliable and able to stay fit. So it would have been harsh on Lindelof to lose his place due to his first minor injury in a good while to a guy who has been injured quite often but just happens to right now be fit.

For the record I hope Lindelof and Bailly can both stay fit and be rotated.

croadyman

I don't particularly rate the partnership myself, but both have proven reliable and able to stay fit. So it would have been harsh on Lindelof to lose his place due to his first minor injury in a good while to a guy who has been injured quite often but just happens to right now be fit.

For the record I hope Lindelof and Bailly can both stay fit and be rotated.
I don't mind Lindelof provided he is alongside either Bailly or Axel otherwise it's watch behind the sofa time

stevoc

I don't mind Lindelof provided he is alongside either Bailly or Axel otherwise it's watch behind the sofa time
Whether Eric can stay fit and maintain his recent decent form I don’t know. But it has highlighted the need for a fast CB with a skill set similar to Bailly’s.

lex talionis

A fit and in firm Bailly is a massive upgrade on Lindelof, who’s not bad at all but is a bit weak at times.

A-man

It’s funny when I read this forum. We have a goalkeeper that is a shadow of his past. AWB is a good tackler but useless going forward and pulled in to the centre all the time, leaving the whole flank unprotected. Shaw is fat and also useless. Lindelof is passive and easily bullied and useless just like Maguire who is slow and lacks aggression (I think this was the latest about him). Pogba is lazy and gives away the ball and dream about Madrid, Martial can’t score open goals and we will never win anything with midfielders like McT. It seems we are lucky to be rescued by Bruno and Bailly since the rest of the players are shite. Well that’s for now at least. A few weeks ago Bailly was the worst player ever sat his foot in Manchester.

James Peril

A fit and in firm Bailly is a massive upgrade on Lindelof, who’s not bad at all but is a bit weak at times.
He absolutely is, Bailly is a very fine defender when fit, but he never is. Nothing suggests he will play the whole season a la Maguire etc. That in itself makes Lindelof a better player, because staying fit really is part of the «ability».

croadyman

Whether Eric can stay fit and maintain his recent decent form I don’t know. But it has highlighted the need for a fast CB with a skill set similar to Bailly’s.
Very much highlighted the need for us to sign a fast CB but don't see that until the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.