Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Solskjaer has adopted a more pragmatic approach against the bigger clubs so it doesn't really matter if he plays Lindelof or Bailly. I can understand him going with Lindelof though, because the Swede works well in a collective defensive effort. But I believe next season Solskjaer will adopt a more high risk approach like we've seen for several years in his previous job where he looks to push the back line 30 yards further up the field in many games. But he'll have to sign the correct CB and DM to transition to his favoured way of playing which I believe will happen.
I hope you´re right and he really is not doing that because of that, however with a combo of Bailly, Fred, McT, espceially defensive and fast players like Bailly and Shaw he could have done that too. Perhaps one change at a time..

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I hope you´re right and he really is not doing that because of that, however with a combo of Bailly, Fred, McT, espceially defensive and fast players like Bailly and Shaw he could have done that too. Perhaps one change at a time..
The game against Spurs where we lost heavily was the game I feel Ole lost faith in some of the players. Because in that game his plan was to squeeze the pitch by moving the backline up and fullbacks high. Bailly was also making his first start in the league in a while so Solskjaer probably felt his pace and athletic abilities could nullify the threat of Son in a 1v1 scenario and Maguire and one of the two deepers midfielders could do the same with Kane. But unfortunately it just went horribly wrong with the CBs being all at sea positionally and they seemed to drift apart in trying to enforce the press which left huge holes in our back line. Solskjaer in his post match interview quite clearly said we were too open and that won't happen again. So it's easy to see why he would be hesitant to play a front foot approach against the better teams after the debacle against Spurs, because at the time he was under immense pressure and to his credit he's turned it around brilliantly, eventhough I don't believe it's his way of playing the game.

But the key signings for Solskjaer are a CB and a DM who will allow him to play his favoured style. If he doesn't sign the right CB then our transitions will start from deeper which will be a disadvantage against a Liverpool team with a returning Van Dijk who allows them to play a very attack minded game due to his ability to clean up as the last man in a high line, especially against the lesser sides. Liverpool imo amassed so much points in the last few years mainly due to their star CBs ability to defend space as the last man which allowed their 'limited midfield' to camp in the oppositions half and create overloads and flood the oppositions box. The reason i'm using Liverpool as a example is due to Solskjaer favouring a similar approach to Klopp as witnessed prior to him being appointed the United manager. So imo it's imperative he signs the CB that will allow him to adopt a high risk approach and allow him to sacrifice defensive stability for goals.

Sorry for derailing the thread guys. Please tag me in the relevant thread in the transfer forum if anyone would like to discuss this further.

Teffe

If Bailly keeps playing like he does without injuries or a brainfart redcard, I doubt theres a new CB on the way...
Maguire, Lindelof and with Bailly rotating, followed by a promising Tuanzebe is well enough for Solskjaer I think.

Uniquim

Entirely at fault for the Fulham goal.
He sees the space Lookman has, he sees Maguire heading off to press, doesn't move in to cover.
When the ball is played he's slow to react.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Absolutely shocking tonight leaves Lookman completely unmarked, dribbles into danger, sells De Gea up the swanny with a back pass and nearly scores an own goal.

Saying it now if Lindelof does any of the above in isolation he’s slaughtered for it.

That was shocking today. I really don’t understand how you can go from being imperious in one game and then put in such a poor showing the next.

el3mel

Imagine if he put that ball in added time in our own goal and it ended 2-2. He's absolutely crazy. Several quality plays but you can't unfortunately trust him for the whole 90 minutes, as weird as it sounds.

Rossa

Absolutely shocking tonight leaves Lookman completely unmarked, dribbles into danger, sells De Gea up the swanny with a back pass and nearly scores an own goal.

Saying it now if Lindelof does any of the above in isolation he’s slaughtered for it.

That was shocking today. I really don’t understand how you can go from being imperious in one game and then put in such a poor showing the next.
So, like you dis with Bailly? He wasn’t good today, but I never quite see the need to elevate or talk crap about another to make a point.

Dorris

Not good enough. You can’t have as many horror shows as this lad has and play centre half, even when he’s in good form you can’t trust him. Needs to go in the summer.

Rossa

Imagine if he put that ball in added time in our own goal and it ended 2-2. He's absolutely crazy. Several quality plays but you can't unfortunately trust him for the whole 90 minutes, as weird as it sounds.
What could he have done with that deflection? It just hits him. Actually looking at it, and it looks like he might have prevented a goal, ironically.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So, like you dis with Bailly? He wasn’t good today, but I never quite see the need to elevate or talk crap about another to make a point.
No I’m a huge fan of Bailly but I do get fed up of the constant narrative that he’s the second coming and Lindelof is some error prone liability.

Absolutely nothing I have said about Baillys performance is not true. It was a shocking performance the antithesis of his last one and really frustrating to watch as a fan of his.

How much did this forum hype Bailly over 5-6 matches!

. best defender in the PL
. Easily better than Maguire
. world class

fans get so carried away!

if that goal had gone in, in fairness it wouldn’t have been his fault. Thought he was overconfident tonight. Otherwise did ok. Sometimes he just needs to concentrate on the basics. Still can’t head the ball.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Terrible for the goal, dodgy back pass, near own goal. I don't trust him at all.

Rossa

No I’m a huge fan of Bailly but I do get fed up of the constant narrative that he’s the second coming and Lindelof is some error prone liability.

Absolutely nothing I have said about Baillys performance is not true. It was a shocking performance the antithesis of his last one and really frustrating to watch as a fan of his.
Yeah, I’m not disagreeing.

tomaldinho1

Still think he's our best CB

Wasn't great today but I can only laugh at people blaming him for 'nearly scoring an OG'. He just got hit by the ball from point blank :lol:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I can absolutely see why Lindelof starts ahead of him. We look more comfortable in our shape with him in more games.

It might be his more passive nature of delaying an attack and not diving in as much but tonight really worries me in a way I’ve not really felt with Lindelof and Maguire.

I don’t think you can even blame the midfield on this one because their positioning for the goal was fine.

Classical Mechanic

Cant help but feel he’s destined to a career trapped in the Phil Jones boom bust cycle.

1. Plays some great games full of blood and thunder
2. Shaky performances start to creep in
3. Major blooper
4. injured

I worry we’re at stage 2 now.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Wasn't great today but I can only laugh at people blaming him for 'nearly scoring an OG'. He just got hit by the ball from point blank :lol:
Yeah you know what in hindsight the own goal comment was probably just the frustration in me coming out.

Can’t blame him for it hitting him there.

people who think he’s at fault for that are laughable, but so is anyone who thinks he’s our best centre half.

Based Adnan

Poor today. Probably most at fault for the goal between the 4 involved as well as being shaky throughout. The underhit backpass to De Gea in the 90th min almost gave me a heart attack.

tomaldinho1

people who think he’s at fault for that are laughable, but so is anyone who thinks he’s our best centre half.
Just an opinion/personal preference - I think people underestimate the effect him playing has on AWB's positioning and the height of our defensive line. Maguire's solid but I think you can swap him with any good PL CB and get a similar return for his role, I would think differently if Maguire wasn't so awful in front of goal from set pieces. No idea what's going on there because I swear he used to be really good at attacking corners and crosses.

Just an opinion/personal preference - I think people underestimate the effect him playing has on AWB's positioning and the height of our defensive line. Maguire's solid but I think you can swap him with any good PL CB and get a similar return for his role, I would think differently if Maguire wasn't so awful in front of goal from set pieces. No idea what's going on there because I swear he used to be really good at attacking corners and crosses.
agree with his heading in the opposition box. Should be scoring a lot more.

Sylar

His almost under hit back pass was a worry near the end

Put that ball in our own goal?
I mean we can't blame him for that now

A-man

Cant help but feel he’s destined to a career trapped in the Phil Jones boom bust cycle.

1. Plays some great games full of blood and thunder
2. Shaky performances start to creep in
3. Major blooper
4. injured

I worry we’re at stage 2 now.
Haha that made me laugh because that is Jones in a nut shell. I get fooled every time and I always feel Jones is under rated because he plays so well. For 4 matches. Then the mistakes. Then the injury. Let’s hope Bailly is not at stage 2!!!

Manny

Grammar Police
Shocking how his performance level just dropped after a good little run.

Just felt like one error after another

A-man

The goal is exactly why I don’t prefer him as Maguire’s partner. Why is Maguire so out of position? Who knows, but he does that all the time. Maguire is a player who attacks the ball. If we want to play him, we must accept that. If we want him to play to his strengths, we must allow that he leaves his position all the time. What we need is a partner who covers for him. Everybody seem to think speed is all you need to cover for Maguire, but what you need is anticipation and reading the game. I’m also angry with Pogba. Both him and Bailly did not only miss to cover but both casually jogging home at the goal.

That said, I think we don’t need to over react. When Bailly plays well, people react like he is world class. When he is having a not so good game like tonight, people react like he is awful. He was not good, but not really bad either. For me the big thing was that there was no chemistry between the defenders, they didn’t work as a unit at all tonight which they did vs Liverpool. But Bailly was not that bad as some claim. And to blame him for almost scoring an own goal,what was he supposed to do? He got 5/10 from me.

criticalanalysis

Bailly coming back to earth after the previous good games?

At fault for the goal and then some good bits mixed with bad bits.

Probably needs a run of consistent games to find his rythym, which he may not get.

Devil may care

Not at his best tonight but not the train wreck some are making out, that deflection near the end almost had De Gea and the rest of us filling our pants. :nervous:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I thought he's really good, on defending and attacking. The goal was AWB fault, where he kept their striker 2 yard onside from everybody else. I'm not sure what people were watching.

MasterCode

His stats for today is just remarkable. Any other CB produces those numbers fans would be singing their praises.

Analysis wasn't fair on his overall game.

90 - Touches
94.7% Pass accuracy
3 Out of 4 long balls completed
4 Out of 6 ground duels won
2 Out of 3 aerial duels won (So much for rubbish in the air)
3 Tackles
2 Interceptions
3 Clearances
1 Block
Dribbled past 1

Sounds like a good performance to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.