Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thiagoal

Man Utd is a business and needs to protect its assets. Letting a player that we paid £30 million for leave on a free is dreadful business sense. If half of you guys in the cafe got your way then Lingard would now be released on a free also but his renewal is likely to bag us in excess of £20 million. I’d imagine the same logic applies to Jones it’s just a shame he hasn’t gone more than a day without being injured to show his worth

Bertie Wooster

Without knowing the intent of our financial output this summer, it's hard to know if this is good news or not for me. And the same applies to Cavani's contract.

My suspicion is that I'm really not expecting us to spend much on signings this summer - less than we have in the other windows under Ole. So I guess it's better that we get to keep the players if we want to, as we obviously did, rather than lose them and create extra, unplanned transfers to deal with.

If we're not planning on making any big money signings to bring in proven quality - like Varane, Haaland, etc - then we might as well try to just tie down our existing players, like Bailly and Cavani, to new deals as they won't need any settling in time next season and would be able to contribute from the start (injuries permitting) - rather than bringing in players like VDB and Amad who spend the season acclimatising.

Ideally, we really need at least a couple of quality signings in certain positions, and CB was one. But if we do make those signings in some other positions - DM, RW, #9 - then I'm happy enough to keep Bailly and Tuanzebe as the 3rd and 4th choice options for another season.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Man Utd is a business and needs to protect its assets. Letting a player that we paid £30 million for leave on a free is dreadful business sense. If half of you guys in the cafe got your way then Lingard would now be released on a free also but his renewal is likely to bag us in excess of £20 million. I’d imagine the same logic applies to Jones it’s just a shame he hasn’t gone more than a day without being injured to show his worth
Dreadful business sense is falling for the sunk cost fallacy. What you previously paid for an asset is irrelevant.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Is that why we've been protecting Phil Jones for 11 years?

Champagne Football

Raveneye

How good a decision it is to renew Bailly's contract depends on context. Manchester United are not going to be able to get a new central defender, new CDM, new right winger and new out-and-out striker all at once. It's not happening. We wouldn't have that kind of cash even before the pandemic.

Bailly is a good defender with pace and aggression, and seems to have ironed out the worst of his brain farts from his game. The Spurs loss this season shouldn't be counted too harshly against him. The whole team wasn't fit at that point thanks to lack of preseason and was struggling to get anything going throughout that whole start. Tying him down till he's 30 is an affordable gamble on his fitness. If the club intends to spend properly to get some combination of DM, right winger and striker (if Cavani stays, I'd hold off on Haaland if it meant getting DM and right wing sorted), then it'll be a great window.

Now we find out he broke his wrist signing the contract

stevoc

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-eric-bailly-contract-20469516

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been pleased with Bailly's improved fitness record in his time at the club and believes there is more to come from the popular centre back.

“Eric has improved his robustness since my time as manager and he will continue to play a significant part in the squad.
Yeah I'd expect a manager to say that about an injury prone player. What's he going to say "Yeah Eric's still as unreliable as ever".

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...FjAAegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw1yxe7oWNq-37lTuQVEYYv2

OrcaFat

He is a very decent player when fit. He has rarely been fit for any significant uninterrupted period but there’s always hope that the worst of his poor injury record is behind him.

I’m liking the Maguire Lindelof partnership at the moment. Victor has quietly got better and apart from the odd scare and the odd cock up, they look solid and a decent balance. Victor is pretty pacy as well. I’m actually happy with these two and Bailly as backup if it means we’re blowing some big dollar on a DM and CF.

Bondi77

Well that means there will be no new additions to the CB position so I really hope his injuries are behind him and he has grown a little bit smarter.

TsuWave

Did he play on his own?

How did he outperform the regular pairing?
:confused: individually? he has partnered Lindelof, as well as Maguire on occasion

perhaps I could have phrased it better, but context clues are part of how conversations flow.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Considering our budget is limited this time, isn't it good that we don't have to spend on CB. Not sure why some are against this

stevoc

:confused: individually? he has partnered Lindelof, as well as Maguire on occasion

perhaps I could have phrased it better, but context clues are part of how conversations flow.
I understood what you meant mate but the way you phrased it was strange. And I was just pointing that out with a sarcy reply.

Dante

Average bang
No coincidence that this happened a couple of days after Cavani informed the club he wanted to leave.

United's transfer priorities have changed. That means eking out as much as possible from the players that are already here. We can't afford to buy a marquee player at both CB and CF in the same window. The focus now will shift towards getting on a striker.

ti vu

It would be a surprise to me if clubs operated without it. Whether they have a self-funded plan or a policy with an insurer you'd be a fool to not mitigate against losing an employee to injury or illness at the wages we pay. You can absorb a week every now and again but for longer term stuff where a player misses 4-8 weeks or more you'd want to transfer that risk.
It's all just guesswork from what you're saying. And my 2 cent is football and sports overall operate differently. Clubs have their own physician, doctor to monitor the players, yet in many cases, they risk playing injured players through their injuries. And it's not rare for players worsen their injuries. Some arguably had their career shortened being rushed back/playing through injuries.

In your regular working environment that is a no no when it comes to legal, and insurance matters. Insurance companies are no fool even on much lower pay level, let alone in professional sports where work related injuries are so much common. If insurance payout has been so easy, why loaning injury prone high earning players which the parent clubs have no use, ain't that popular? You lose nothing if the players keep getting injured, but when heals fit he has potential high impact.

jesperjaap

I think fit and on form he is from what we have the best partner for Maguire and actually probably our best defender.

But, this is definately bad news as he cant stay fit, has rarely been consistent at all, his first season was his best and we need to add what we have, extending his contract tells me maybe we arent signing a centre back this summer which should be a priority signing.

As for protecting assests....extending contract of players that dont play and go out on loan at some point becuase of it or just sit on th ebench, what exactly is that protecting I ask? Paying £100k a week to players with plummeting transfer values isnt protecting anything? COuld name 10-15 players we have done this with that hold no value at all. Lingard due to his loan spell is about the only one holdign any value at all.

I like Bailly, but we should have been offloading him this summer for sure in my opinion

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Considering our budget is limited this time, isn't it good that we don't have to spend on CB. Not sure why some are against this
What use is a player who's never fit? With Jones and him, we have to expensive CBs who are never available

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
How good a decision it is to renew Bailly's contract depends on context. Manchester United are not going to be able to get a new central defender, new CDM, new right winger and new out-and-out striker all at once. It's not happening. We wouldn't have that kind of cash even before the pandemic.

Bailly is a good defender with pace and aggression, and seems to have ironed out the worst of his brain farts from his game. The Spurs loss this season shouldn't be counted too harshly against him. The whole team wasn't fit at that point thanks to lack of preseason and was struggling to get anything going throughout that whole start. Tying him down till he's 30 is an affordable gamble on his fitness. If the club intends to spend properly to get some combination of DM, right winger and striker (if Cavani stays, I'd hold off on Haaland if it meant getting DM and right wing sorted), then it'll be a great window.
Same. I agree, DM and RW is the priority IF we can get Cavani to stay. If he doesn't, then three signings a season will be a struggle, tbh.

What use is a player who's never fit? With Jones and him, we have to expensive CBs who are never available
agree. I think it’s a poor decision.

he’s said he’s got over his injuries, but how many injuries has he has this season?

you can argue he’s a useful backup, but he’s not going to push lindelof for a starting place, and when actually needed is rarely there.

we now have Jones and Bailey in long term contracts. Personally, I think that’s pretty poor business. At least we actually got rid of Rojo. We did didn’t we..?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
agree. I think it’s a poor decision.

he’s said he’s got over his injuries, but how many injuries has he has this season?

you can argue he’s a useful backup, but he’s not going to push lindelof for a starting place, and when actually needed is rarely there.

we now have Jones and Bailey in long term contracts. Personally, I think that’s pretty poor business. At least we actually got rid of Rojo. We did didn’t we..?
I wouldn't even know regarding Rojo, I bloody hope so! I wish we would sell Jones for 8m or so, doesn't matter anymore at this point. We need to build up a reliable team with solid back ups

Dante

Average bang
United have the best defence in the Premier League since 1 January 2021. I don't think it's an area that needs desperate reinforcement (except maybe on paper because of the theoretical lack of pace). A more reliable squad player than Bailly would be nice, but it's hardly make-or-break.

2021:
RTeamPWDLGFGAGDPts
1Manchester City1917024812+3651
2Manchester United1810713312+2137
3Leicester1710343118+1333
4West Ham1710253022+832
5Chelsea179532013+732
6Tottenham188373023+727
7Arsenal177552818+1026
8Leeds177372020024
9Everton176561821-323
10Brighton175661514+121
11Liverpool176381819-121
12Burnley185582125-420
13Wolverhampton Wanderers175571724-720
14Aston Villa185491823-519
15Crystal Palace165471425-1119
16West Bromwich Albion174581929-1017
17Newcastle United184591930-1117
18Fulham183781220-816
19Sheffield United1750121029-1915
20Southampton1631121539-2410

Now that a Cavani replacement has become the number one priority, that's where we'll need to invest the bulk of our transfer budget. So tying down Bailly is the only viable strategy. We can still sell him next summer. If we hadn't given him a contract extension to cover next season, he'd have gone for £0 in 2022.

The knock-on effect of the Bailly news is that I have extra optimism for Kane or Haaland.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

He is certainly very entertaining. I think the most entertaining United player as no one knows what he is going to do next.

Foxbatt

I certainly hope so. He is so entertaining. You never know what he will do next. Also when he tangles with a player, there is no afters with him usually. He will throw a player off the ground and then simply walk off. :lol:

Foxbatt

He certainly was very entertaining. He dribbled the entire length and under no pressure at all suddenly decided to pass it to a Roma player at the edge of their box.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Don't think Lindelof has anything to worry about.

Nick7

Defence crumbles when he plays. He was all over the place and absolutely refused to ever get in line with Maguire. Maguire spent a lot of time having to cover for him against Mkhitaryan when Bailly went walkabouts.

spiriticon

Ahhh Superman Bailly is gone for the next four years then?

Contract signed, the Madman(TM) returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.