Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not a great night for “our best centre back”

also can that myth finally die now?
I dunno. What do you think?

Eric Bailly is our best centre back.

Lindelof isn’t bad but he’s isn’t good either & offers nothing physically. Maguire is very strong physically but has massive deficiencies which mean he needs his hand held.

I think we need two centre backs.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
weren’t you promulgating that myth?

I did see you had changed your opinion of Maguire though.
Yeah I was wrong. Absence makes the heart grow fonder doesn’t it. Bailly can be spectacular at times but he’s not consistent enough & is far too clumsy. I think my opinion on Maguire was more just because of the overall drop in CB quality over the last 20 years. I grew up watching Rio, Vidic, Stam, Terry, Campbell, Nesta. Cannevaro, etc. I think in that era Maguire probably would have been a midtable PL centre back, but in this era he’s undoubtably one of the best in the PL & arguably our most important player.

I dunno. What do you think?
See above. I do still think we need two centre backs. A starter with a bit of pace & a solid backup. Maguire, Fofana, White, Lindelof would be fantastic. Obviously won’t happen though under the Glazernomics.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Never? Without VAR, that would be penalty. Studs up, and he didn't have control of his foot.

It's not always "he got the ball". Shaw got a yellow once, because of the follow through.
Never, ever, ever a penalty.

He clearly and cleanly takes the ball, and BARELY brushes the defender who arrives late. You can't stop your forward momentum, and he didn't stud him on the leg. The replays showed it brushed him.

Football is a contact sport and sometimes collisions happen, the VAR got it spot on to over turn it and clearly the ref agreed once he saw it.

The issue is the defender dives forward making it look like Bailly went through him. Sky then crying for a penalty doesn't help, but no surprise Neville went along with the decision for Liverpool :lol: he's such a ****.

BFernandes

He's not good enough.

To be a centre-back at a top club, you need to be both dependable and a calming influence at the back. He's neither. He's 27 years old, and has now been here 5 seasons. In 190 league games during that time, he's only played in 65. And not since his first season has he played more than 13 league games. He's certainly not dependable.

Is he a calming influence? Not for me. Sure, he'll have games where he looks incredible. His speed and power will allow him games like that. But for me, he's too much of a loose cannon at the back, too wreckless. His tackle last night is a perfect example. Sure, he got away with it because of VAR. Regardless, why is he throwing himself into the player at such a speed in the box?

Why are people expecting him to turn around something in the next year or so that he has been unable to turn around in the last 4 seasons?

He's a liability if you look at his contribution to the team/club over the last few years.

So let's give him a new 5 year bumper contract.

poleglass red

vicious circle with him, he needs games to get up to speed and match fitness, but during that run he is woeful, and by the time he does get some sort of match fitness he gets injured and it all starts again.He has the attributes we so need in aggression and speed, but positioning, rashness continue to be an issue with him

spiriticon

Give them a new contract and their heads drop for the next 2/3 years. Usual story.

He'll be back to form in the last year of his new contract.

Polar

If we buy a new CB, I have no problem with Bailly’s contract extension. We need 4-5 CB’s in the squad, and Jones doesn’t count. I don’t rate Lindelof higher than Bailly, and Lindelof is probably the easiest one to sell. I’m fine with selling Lindelof if we need “space” for a new CB.

If we buy a new CB, I have no problem with Bailly’s contract extension. We need 4-5 CB’s in the squad, and Jones doesn’t count. I don’t rate Lindelof higher than Bailly, and Lindelof is probably the easiest one to sell. I’m fine with selling Lindelof if we need “space” for a new CB.
I wouldn’t want to sell Lindelof ahead of Bailly.

UpWithRivers

Every year. Every year. He has played what 10/12 games a season in the Prem for the last 5 years. Never manages to keep fit. Never establishes himself as a first teamer. Always has a handful of games where he looks world class and then everyone says he needs to play instead of Lindelof or Maguire etc. Every year for 5 years! Sell him! I would rather keep Tuanzebe and Mengi at least there is still a possibility they could become first teamers.

A-man

Played well for most of the match but made some poor decisions. What happened in minute 76 is typical for one of his weakest sides imo.
He pushes forward even though there is no need for it, and with no chance to make it, and without caring about the precious space behind him. When he failed and was overplayed he tried to rugby tackle the guy but luckily he failed that too.

To win the final we don’t need 8/10 performance from our back line. But our biggest risk that we lose is if one the CBs make some cruical mistakes/poor decisions, or if one of them have a 3/10 performance. Since Harry got injured, Tuanzebe has performed better and with less mistakes and less poor decisions and therefore he should be picked imo. I am still 100% sure Bailly will start.

Foxbatt

Played well for most of the match but made some poor decisions. What happened in minute 76 is typical for one of his weakest sides imo.
He pushes forward even though there is no need for it, and with no chance to make it, and without caring about the precious space behind him. When he failed and was overplayed he tried to rugby tackle the guy but luckily he failed that too.

To win the final we don’t need 8/10 performance from our back line. But our biggest risk that we lose is if one the CBs make some cruical mistakes/poor decisions, or if one of them have a 3/10 performance. Since Harry got injured, Tuanzebe has performed better and with less mistakes and less poor decisions and therefore he should be picked imo. I am still 100% sure Bailly will start.
Yes he was lucky that he failed in trying to wrestle the player down. Axel must be extremely nervous when he plays with Bailly. I hope Axel starts with Lindelof if Maguire is injured.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Yeah, agree with all of this. That clown show on minute 76 really stood out. Horrific defending. Although I think the reason he will start on Wednesday is probably fair enough. He’s good in the air. Playing Lindelof and Tuanzebe together makes us horribly vulnerable to crosses.

Unfortunately, Bailly is horribly vulnerable to inexplicably stupid moments. So it’s swings and roundabouts but Ole will probably gamble on Bailly somehow keeping his shit together for 90 minutes.

A-man

Yeah, agree with all of this. That clown show on minute 76 really stood out. Horrific defending. Although I think the reason he will start on Wednesday is probably fair enough. He’s good in the air. Playing Lindelof and Tuanzebe together makes us horribly vulnerable to crosses.

Unfortunately, Bailly is horribly vulnerable to inexplicably stupid moments. So it’s swings and roundabouts but Ole will probably gamble on Bailly somehow keeping his shit together for 90 minutes.
I just checked the stats, Villareal have scored 3(!) headed goals in the league this season, compared to 13 headed goals for United. I don’t think we should prioritise the air; things will happen on the ground. (Now I jinxed it, corner goal conceded in 5th minute...)

Bailly has had good matches this season and overall, I would even argue he’s been better than Axel. It’s just that his form lately worries me. And at the same time Axel has looked better now at the end of the season. I have always had the feeling that Axel is better schooled as a footballer, compared to Bailly. He knows when to do what, and that makes him a more reliable partner and team player, while Bailly is more random and an individualist. Lindelofs biggest strength is his part in team defending. He depend on others to do what is expected from them. If he has a reliable partner he can be very good, but with a random partner he loses his best weapon. Both Maguire and Axel are well educated and easy to play with in that sense. Well at least that’s my thoughts :)

Yes he was lucky that he failed in trying to wrestle the player down. Axel must be extremely nervous when he plays with Bailly. I hope Axel starts with Lindelof if Maguire is injured.
I really hope that too, but I believe Bailly will start. If we look at Ole’s rotation it looks like that.

Foxbatt

A-Man, I was watching Axel off the ball and he looked nervous because Bailly was not playing as a team sometimes. Matic was telling Bailly where to move. Bailly also goes into tackles without looking at the bigger picture. He also puts his team mates under pressure, by trying to dribble and then suddenly passing the ball. Individually he is talented but I don't think he knows how to play as a team member.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Was a monster in the air.
He was absolutely bodied by William Jose (big guy but still) and let him get a free header 6 yards out at one point. Luckily he's shite and hit it straight at Henderson.

I'm not having a huge go at him, maybe he put Jose off somewhat. But he wasn't a monster in the air, even if he won every other aerial duel today.

zenith

I'm sorry, but if the king here believes that he deserves to be starting CB without a measure of deserving it, then I wanna have some of what he is having.

No way is he right now God enough to replace either CB in the starting 11. He really needs to see highlight reel once in a while

A-man

Why is he talking like this the day before the final? Not much of a team player, is he?

Guv77

Maybe when he actually stays fit for a period of 5/6 straight games then he might have a better chance of playing regularly.
Get rid not even that good.

simmee

Could not care less if he leaves to be honest. Should be Tuanzebe and Lindelof for the final anyway if Maguire isn't fit.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Why sign a new deal then?

Bailly may think he's better than the other defenders at the club. One day he might even prove to be. Doesn't matter if the coaches don't agree though does it? Why sign a new deal if you want first team football if you know you're, at best, third choice?

Another one we're saddled with who clubs won't buy because of his high wages. Marcos Rojo redux.

SAFMUTD

At the moment he's the third CB at best, debatable since he may even be 4th after Tuanzebe.

If he really feels that way I think we should part ways, when he's good he's good but he's really error and injury prone. Dont think he'll ever settle as a nailed starter because of that.

0le

He may still be recovering from Covid. If he is muslim he may also have been fasting. Both may partly explain a drop off in form.

Shimo

With such a statement, can only hope maybe they agreed a new deal with the idea they would sell him this summer but, could get a good fee for him.

TsuWave

I agree with his statement. The starting defenders have horrific performances regularly but still get picked.

and Bailly saying he wants to play more often is hardly the/or reason for United to choke this final so these takes about “timing/not a team player” are comical

Bruno, Cavani and Pogba are bricking it and distracted right now because of the Bailly interview :/

Idxomer

A player wants to keep starting and playing games, nothing wrong or shocking with what he's saying.

A-man

I agree with his statement. The starting defenders have horrific performances regularly but still get picked.

and Bailly saying he wants to play more often is hardly the/or reason for United to choke this final so these takes about “timing/not a team player” are comical

Bruno, Cavani and Pogba are bricking it and distracted right now because of the Bailly interview :/
He doesn’t say he wants to play more and he’ll fight for it. He says he wants a place in the starting xi or else he wants to move. That’s a disrespectful and egoistic thing to say just before the final. It will be interesting to see how Ole handles this.

I think this statement comes because he feels Axel is about to pass him in picking order plus there might come in a new CB.

Djemba-Djemba

I wish he was as good as he seems to think he is.

He's got a terrible fitness record and when he does play you never know what you will get.

Even in his good games he still has 2 or 3 moments a game where he does something stupid and sloppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.