Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

automaticflare

He is our best ball playing center back. He dribbles without fear and is not afraid to play passes between the lines. Many times in this game he evaded pressure by dribbling forward instead of taking the cowardly approach to clear the ball and give back possession. Healthy bailly and we have options.
sorry mate I don’t see a ball playing CH here. I see someone who has pace and can run, which as a CH is equally as valuable, maybe more!

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Looking very good next to Maguire. Keep him fit!

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
How has no one commented on that tackle he was given a yellow? That was horrific and dangerous, should have been a red card 100%. That's why I will never be comfortable with Bailly. There was absolutely no reason for him to make that tackle at all, and he flew into it a full force.
Maybe my age is showing here but that's never a red card in my view. Got the ball, and his feet didn't go high.

That was a bog standard 90s Premier League desperate lunge. :lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How has no one commented on that tackle he was given a yellow? That was horrific and dangerous, should have been a red card 100%. That's why I will never be comfortable with Bailly. There was absolutely no reason for him to make that tackle at all, and he flew into it a full force.
Never a red card. Yellow was adequate

Rolaholic

Maybe my age is showing here but that's never a red card in my view. Got the ball, and his feet didn't go high.

That was a bog standard 90s Premier League desperate lunge. :lol:
Pretty much, not everyone disapproves of hard and physical defensive play from defenders even when occasionally reckless. Making contact with the ball first, however heavy the challenge, wasn't really deemed card worthy in the past.

That kind of tackle was commonplace during the Fergie era and has only recently become taboo as physical defending has become increasingly penalized and pushed out to the benefit of attackers.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If he could add a little composure to his game he will be top class. On his yellow card today that is the type of thing he needs to cut out. Sure, he had a poor first touch (happens to everyone from time to time, just as long as it doesn't become a habit), but the problem was his reaction. You can't lunge into tackles like that. I get it that he wants to make up for his poor touch, but that's the kind of tackle that can get him sent off if he's not careful. But other than that he has been fantastic since his return to action. The perfect fast player to compliment Maguire. And what I have been most impressed with which I never noticed before, is how good he is with the ball. I love how he often gets the ball, looks one way to lose an opponent and then dribbles the other way into safety. Love to see him keep this form up...

city-puma

The guy is McGinn who just did dirty to Bailly in the end of first half. It’s no wonder Bailly gave him a reality check! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
before VAR, this is a perfect tackle.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not a red card however I can see where you are coming from. A tackle like that will always be a caution of some sort and if gone wrong it could easily be a red. Fortunately for us, this time it didn't go wrong. But you can't lunge at a player like that and he needs to cut that out of his game. Yellow card was the right call but on another day he takes the player out and gets sent off...

Chief123

What I would say with Bailly is, just enjoy him while it lasts with him. He’s been here long enough for us to know he’ll either get injured or have a horror show game. I really hope he doesn’t but his history doesn’t really give that idea any credibility.

I still think Ole should be banging on Woodward’s door right now and demanding a quality centre back with pace this window. It’s the closest we’ve come to winning the league since Fergie. How can we possibly gamble going to the end of the season hoping Bailly and Tuanzebe stay fit and stay in form. Neither of them has given us the confidence historically that they can.

I love Bailly. He’s one of my favourite players. But he’s also broken my heart too many times. If he can stay fit and on form, which are both big ifs, I genuinely believe he is the best centre back in the league after VVD. But he constantly teases us. He literally could be the difference between us winning the league and fighting for a top 4 finish.

Chief123

sorry mate I don’t see a ball playing CH here. I see someone who has pace and can run, which as a CH is equally as valuable, maybe more!
Bailly is actually excellent on the ball for a centre half. He looks very comfortable on the ball, especially when he strides forward with it. I would say that’s one of his better qualities. He’s so confident on the ball he even drops a shoulder from time to time and comes away with it like a don. I would say his ability on the ball is stronger than some of his defensive abilities like heading.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

How anyone could watch Bailly and conclude that he isn’t comfortable on the ball is beyond me.

RuudtheRed

Deservedly MOTM today and pretty much won all of his aerial battles with Watkins, which isn't really one of the strengths in his game.

The block at the end was massive for us, and his form is a good thing too. I think I would still prefer Lindelof when he's fit, because there's always a tiny fear in me that Bailly is going to do something reckless or switch off at a crucial moment - the tackle after the offside was given was a totally unnecessary one. If we could combine Bailly's athleticism with Lindelof's composure we'd have the perfect centerback

Sylar

As everybody has said, please stay fit

A good partner for Maguire. His pace covers for Maguire, and Maguire box dominance let's Bailly sit off at times as we saw near the end

He has a brain fart which lead to a yellow, no need to dive in especially that far away from goal

zenith

He's not exactly a young footballer anymore, so it's about time he does what he is doing now i.e.basically a defenders job. It was an absolutely smashing performance last night, and long last it continue

The key like many folks said is staying fit and avoid brain farts, though I don't have much faith in either of those things. Have seen enough false dawn's with Jones.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Deservedly MOTM today and pretty much won all of his aerial battles with Watkins, which isn't really one of the strengths in his game.

The block at the end was massive for us, and his form is a good thing too. I think I would still prefer Lindelof when he's fit, because there's always a tiny fear in me that Bailly is going to do something reckless or switch off at a crucial moment - the tackle after the offside was given was a totally unnecessary one. If we could combine Bailly's athleticism with Lindelof's composure we'd have the perfect centerback
Lindelof literally shits bricks when people run at him or play balls into the box at him. I would hardly call him composed.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I love how purposeful he is with the ball. It's a very underrated quality because everyone just wants defenders to clear everything out but with how common counter pressing is, a defender who only clears the ball out after winning possession back is one that is going to be left defending a ton.

Bailly is always looking to pass with a purpose and find players in space, and sure that will lead to the occasional giveaway but the benefits far outweigh that because it helps us retain possession miles better.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
At his best he really is dominant. Particularly love how he gets out of trouble with the ball at feet. In him and Tuanzebe we seem to have two modern CBs who both are brilliant at their best but need to show consistent fitness and form.

He is our best ball playing center back. He dribbles without fear and is not afraid to play passes between the lines. Many times in this game he evaded pressure by dribbling forward instead of taking the cowardly approach to clear the ball and give back possession. Healthy bailly and we have options.
Ever since Zlatan you can also see how much his teammates rate and love him as a player.

Shame he’s so ridiculously unpredictable because when he’s on, my God he’s good :drool:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The thing is Ole has improved alot of our players and the 'there is no coaching thing' isnt particularly right.

Shaw, Lindelof, Fred, Rashford, Mctomminay, you could argue a player like Pogba very recently are starting to improve as well.

We all thought Bailly was a decent player that didn't get settled in properly in to a full season due to injuries and consistent performances- you wonder if Ole could really bring that out of him and put him up to the next level.

Idxomer

One of his best qualities is he basically always refuses to pass the ball back to De Gea.

It might be a small thing but I hate backpasses to the keeper.

KennyBurner

Ever since Zlatan you can also see how much his teammates rate and love him as a player.

Shame he’s so ridiculously unpredictable because when he’s on, my God he’s good :drool:
Exactly. Me personally I love that aggressive side to him. Strikes fear in opposition attackers and is always ready to make them feel uncomfortable. Its unfortunate for lindelof because Ive actually grown to like his consistency last year but in reality Bailly is a better partner to Maguire. We need very aggressive CBs.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

How anyone could watch Bailly and conclude that he isn’t comfortable on the ball is beyond me.
That isn't what he said though. There's a mighty grey area between being awkward on the ball and a true ball-playing CB, Bailly is somewhere in between (though yes, far closer to the latter).

He's capable of being a rock defensively at times but even if he stays fit (big ask) there are certain qualities that worry you:
  • Discipline/focus - prone to lapses in concentration and mistakes.
  • Largely plays on the front-foot and aggressively - not good in combo with Maguire who is similar.
  • Aerial duels - probably an upgrade on Lindelof as virtually anybody would be, but still a weakness.

Jericholyte2

over those 40 games he’d have loads of brain farts I’d expect. He throws them in at least once every 3 games in all honesty....
Possibly but is that because he’s an inconsistent defender or because he’s never had a consistent run of games to find a groove or fine tune those issues?

mav_9me

World class game. Was calmer in his play than Maguire, who should be a bit ashamed of himself.
Weirdly in the box Bailly is way calmer than Maguire. Maguire freaks out and rushes clearances sometimes. Weird cuz Maguire himself is generally calm...

Buffalo Bills

I’ve been arguing it with friends for ages and this is what’s so frustrating. I genuinely believe he’s our best CB and if we could get 40 games a season with him and Maguire together, we’d be set.

He has everything we need in a CB plus that little bit of crazy that makes him fun to watch, but if he could get 10, 15, 20 games in a row under him I think we’d see him shake off a lot of the mistakes he makes (being lacking in match fitness and sharpness) and would be a great CB for us.

Just needs to stop getting injured!
Think these comments are right on the money.

Additionally I feel that many people hold his injury record against him personally. I know that a player being out as often is irritating but I don't think that he is getting injured deliberately! More likely it's a by product of his bravery in the challenge

iato89

He is our best defender by a mile and is now making maguire look decent! Hopefull he can stay fit!

mav_9me

One of his best qualities is he basically always refuses to pass the ball back to De Gea.

It might be a small thing but I hate backpasses to the keeper.
Very good point. Would be interested to see actual numbers for him passing to DdG compared to the others.

On the same note we do seem to be passing much much less to DdG than previously. There was a time where we were trying to incorporate DdG into building from back. Looks like we have given up on that. Rightly so.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Small sample size, but he just looks better that Upamecano from those two games against Leipzig.

Bailly had big fitness issue, but I'll just enjoy the feeling of having an excellent CB, even for a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.