Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Bailly considering he is supposed to be the senior defender last night was terrible for me. Poor in possession too.
Is he a senior defender though?

Sure he's 27 and senior in age but in football terms he's actually still pretty inexperienced. He's only played about 160-170 career matches because of all his injuries. For comparison Greenwood at 19 has already played over 100 games.

Maguire and Lindeof at similar ages have 440 and 380 career games respectively, even Jones has played 260+ games. So in terms of experience and development Eric's probably only played the equivalent games of the average 21--23 year old defender and it shows in his play.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Sure he's 27 and senior in age but in football terms he's actually still pretty inexperienced. He's only played about 160-170 career matches because of all his injuries. For comparison Greenwood at 19 has already played over 100 games.

Maguire and Lindeof at similar ages have 440 and 380 career games respectively, even Jones has played 260+ games. So in terms of experience and development Eric's probably only played the equivalent games of the average 21--23 year old defender and it shows in his play.
Both of you are right.

He is inexperienced and horrible because of it.

I cant believe he is Harry Kane's age +/- 1 year.

SoCross

Well compared to Williams and Tuanzebe, he’s the senior player.

I didn’t realise he has played so few games. Telles was default senior defender in there. Apologies.

Just checked his wiki, it says he had only played 40 games previously for Villarreal and Espanyol? That can’t be right?

Lassitude42

You know that feeling when you're hungover? A kind of vague feeling of dread, that something bad is about to happen but you're not sure quite what. This is how having Bailly at CB makes me feel.

stevoc

I didn’t realise he has played so few games. Telles was default senior defender in there. Apologies.

Just checked his wiki, it says he had only played 40 games previously for Villarreal and Espanyol? That can’t be right?
Yeah Telles almost 400 games at roughly the same age, so yeah he was the senior defender last night.

47 games for Villareal and 5 for Espanyol over 2 seasons. So not far off.

Based Adnan

Hopefully we sell him this summer. No way near good enough or reliable enough to be 3rd choice CB.

Foxbatt

He never was good as a team. But at least he did not have a typical Bailly moment so we have to say that he had a decent game by his standards.

just looked it up. He’s only made 20+ appearances in 3/8 seasons. One of those was in his first season playing for a B Team.

shocking return. 176 games in 8 years.

jesperjaap

He frustrates the hell out of me, as obviously in a minority, but I still think there is a quality centre back in there. If he could stay fit and get some form, I do think he is actually potentially our best centre back......unlike Shaw who I also felt the same about when he was poor......I dont trust him to at all though. I think he did well his first season here, but there doesnt seem any room for progression and partly the way he plays, which is very brave but also fool hardy, he is always going to pick up injuries.
Although I like him, I too am flabbergasted he has been handed a new contract, should definately have been sold this summer

Foxbatt

He frustrates the hell out of me, as obviously in a minority, but I still think there is a quality centre back in there. If he could stay fit and get some form, I do think he is actually potentially our best centre back......unlike Shaw who I also felt the same about when he was poor......I dont trust him to at all though. I think he did well his first season here, but there doesnt seem any room for progression and partly the way he plays, which is very brave but also fool hardy, he is always going to pick up injuries.
Although I like him, I too am flabbergasted he has been handed a new contract, should definately have been sold this summer
He is individually very talented. His ball control is good, he can dribble, he can head and he can tackle and can pass decently. But there is something in him that he never seems to use his brain all the time. He never seems to learn to play as a team player. He switches off too at crucial moments.

Eternitiy

If Bailly plays in the Europa League Final, then we are in big trouble, in big trouble.

Wing Attack Plan R

Same. You stole the words.

acnumber9

He’s a clown. He’ll always be a clown. What’s that? He might leave? Better give him a pay rise.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Cannot believe we gave him a new contract.

el3mel

3+1 years for this shit and some think he's a reliable back up. :lol:

He's a huge clown and terrible presence in the back.

izec

He is a clown. THis club is a shambles. How can you give him a new contract? You can find better CBs in the Championship

Zoo

A night where he could well have relegated himself to 4th choice because Tuanzebe deserves a shot for the rest of the league games.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I have been a fan of Bailly's since he arrived. But he's well along the Smalling-Jones curve of failing to improve from a promising start. Another one rewarded with a new contract without there being much logic to it.

led_scholes

Α once talented defender wrecked by injuries now. I cant believe we have another Jones.

Manny

Grammar Police
If you watch him, positioning, organising and looking around to see where the opposition players are is like third or fourth thing on his mind.

He just stands there on his heel, ball watching or throwing himself at loose balls when the opportunity presents itself.

SAFMUTD

Still amazes me how some posters here still have faith in him. He's fast, technical and strong but totally dumb to defend. The fact that we gave him a new contract is depressing.

always_hoping

Taken off I'd say because it was his 2nd start in 3 days plus he got 15 minutes against Villa on Sunday. Why Matic instead of Tuanzebe came on for him made no sense.

No player played well tonight especially in defence a lot of improvement needed before the final but at least the mindset of the players should be better than tonight which in truth stinked out Old Trafford.

stevoc

Anyone who has ever muttered the phrase ''Best defender at the club'' or similar in reference to Bailly should hold their hands up and admit they were talking absolute fecking nonsense.

At this point it debatable if he's even the 3rd best centre back at the club.

jesperjaap

He is individually very talented. His ball control is good, he can dribble, he can head and he can tackle and can pass decently. But there is something in him that he never seems to use his brain all the time. He never seems to learn to play as a team player. He switches off too at crucial moments.
Yes that pretty much sums up my thought of him. Obviously had a lot of injuries but the rough diamond he appeared in hsi first season, seems to be the actual player, dont think he can progress above that for reasons including what you say

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yes that pretty much sums up my thought of him. Obviously had a lot of injuries but the rough diamond he appeared in hsi first season, seems to be the actual player, dont think he can progress above that for reasons including what you say
Injury prone and erratic is just a terrible combination, there's no getting around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.