Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Honestly, the only time Eric really impressed me was a very brief period when he first joined and was partnered by Blind. I recall playing Leicester in the Community Shield and Daley was pretty much doing the thinking for him. Telling him when to engage, for example. There’s a good player in there somewhere, but I’ve never seen him put it together for a period of time and thought, ‘Yeah, this is starting to click now.’

The partnership with Bailly and Lindelof was never going to work. They’re very much the ‘second centre half’ in my opinion. You can get away with one or the other, providing you have a strong communicator beside them. Even then, they’ll still get caught out from time to time. I believe Lindelof broke through whilst partnering Luisao at Benfica (a resident Portuguese League enthusiast can confirm this) but it seems he needs an organiser alongside him, too. Eric is very much the same, in my view. I don’t want to get too off topic, so I’ll leave it there.

Overall, not a good night for Bailly, although he’s not alone in that.

Suedesi

ERRATIC, the opposite of COMPOSED. Should not be even a reserve at united.

Even that penalty that was called back, who fecking tackles like that?

Shark

@NotShark
Another new contract handed out to a player that's going to cost us more points than he'll earn us.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's a head banger but he can be good. Back-up centre-back is a tough one, because its a position you need to be playing regularly in. Think we saw that with Evans, a very good centre-back when starting games but not great when covering for an injury or suspension.

He is the better of the two starters tonight, but thats not saying much. A new centre-back is needed.

stevoc

He's a head banger but he can be good. Back-up centre-back is a tough one, because its a position you need to be playing regularly in. Think we saw that with Evans, a very good centre-back when starting games but not great when covering for an injury or suspension.

He is the better of the two starters tonight, but thats not saying much. A new centre-back is needed.
That's very generous, Lindelof isn't world class and he wasn't great tonight either. But he's shown he can put in composed performances over a long period of time. Bailly at 27 is still nothing but potential, if he was fit, if he got a run of games, if he developed his game, if he stopped being so reckless etc.

Lindelof is the better of the two solely due to being reliable and fairly consistent in his level of performance. Yeah every 1-2 years Eric has a run of games where he's better than Victor and puts in performances Lindelof wouldn't be capable of but they're few and far between.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's our Aurier imo, athletic and at times looks capable but always has one major clanger a game and extremely erratic. I'd hate to be a defender playing with him as you never really know what he's going to do. Simply not good enough for our club.

hubbuh

He's our Aurier imo, athletic and at times looks capable but always has one major clanger a game and extremely erratic. I'd hate to be a defender playing with him as you never really know what he's going to do. Simply not good enough for our club.
Yeah, I think the penny has dropped for me. He's just not been able to build on his immense potential and I doubt he will ever at United. He's so, so mental and all over the place.

Eternitiy

He's basically Marcos Rojo except with a more vocal fanbase.
Rojo was an awful signing all things considered, but I don't ever remember him letting us down with moments of madness and calamity like Bailly does so regularly (yes, Rojo did make stupid tackles at times, but I don't remember them being costly like Bailly).

zenith

Gives me a heart attack whenever he played. God forbid anyone of a Victor or Harry get injured and we have to rely on this guy for a sustained length of time. It's the stuff of nightmares.

He's a walking red card, just waiting to happen

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Seriously are people to make sense of his correct renewal? Another major feck up?

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Only thing I can hope is we do a Hughesy here in that he signs a new deal and he is then shipped out in the summer with some value or part of an exchange with a better player. Don't wish foul on the lad but his eccentricities will get you nowhere near silverware.

Even though Axel started poorly the other night, he developed into the game and you could see a player there.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ticking bomb. I love pacey defenders but more i love when defender is calm. Calm and Bailly can't go in same sentence.
But ok, he is good for rotation. One bad game can't erase a lot of good games.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
New contract well done. The next Rojo jones seems.
Seriously are people to make sense of his correct renewal? Another major feck up?
Seems to have been club policy for years now. No one is going to leave on a free, the problem is many of these new contracts often have ridiculous wages so it becomes nearly impossible to move them on

The Bailly project should just end now. For every game he looks like a world beater he has five games where he plays like a ferret on cocaine

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Seems to have been club policy for years now. No one is going to leave on a free, the problem is many of these new contracts often have ridiculous wages so it becomes nearly impossible to move them on

The Bailly project should just end now. For every game he looks like a world beater he has five games where he plays like a ferret on cocaine
Surely we should have learnt by now. We keep seeing the same cycle of "when in doubt hand new contract" and then proceed to wonder why we can't get rid of said player for the next 5 years.

He's a fine player but he's yet another who needs a calmer head next to him. We've got Lindelof, Bailly and Tuanzebe who all back each other up. Where's Maguire's backup?

Devil81

Whilst it wasn't a penalty you can't escape the fact it was rash and could have resulted in a penalty. The correct method of defending that shot is surely a block rather than sticking your boot in.

I'm not going to much in on him because I think Lindelof isn't that good either so what you have is two average centre backs on the field at the same time. Both are only good enough to be squad players, Liverpool were always going to rip them apart.

Last edited:

NoLogo

He needs to learn not to pull out of challenges and simply go for a block, he got away with it yesterday but it's a disaster waiting to happen. That being said his defending wasn't the problem yesterday our build up was and that we can manage to lose the ball 3 times in our own third within one minute of football.

Ekeke

If anything the "penalty" was a foul on Bailly. Bailly is first to the ball, opponent is late. One of several pieces of decent defending. Wasnt great by any means but our best CB on the day despite getting booked

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What?! That was never a fecking pen.
Never? Without VAR, that would be penalty. Studs up, and he didn't have control of his foot.

It's not always "he got the ball". Shaw got a yellow once, because of the follow through.

A-man

Given it’s not so easy to come in and first play CB pair with Maguire, next match Tuanzebe, and then Lindelof. But wtf has happened to him? He had a stretch of games that were from ok to very good, definitely good enough for a third CB. Now he looks wrong all the time. I had to pause and rewind sometimes yesterday to see why he was in all those awkward positions. Maybe there was a reason. But there were never any good reasons, he ran around randomly.

GledTheRed

God i hope we resigned him with an eye on sell on value.

He's an accident waiting to happen, i'd rather chuck Tuanzebe in at this point and see if he's actually up to it.

stevoc

Given it’s not so easy to come in and first play CB pair with Maguire, next match Tuanzebe, and then Lindelof. But wtf has happened to him? He had a stretch of games that were from ok to very good, definitely good enough for a third CB. Now he looks wrong all the time. I had to pause and rewind sometimes yesterday to see why he was in all those awkward positions. Maybe there was a reason. But there were never any good reasons, he ran around randomly.
With Eric is there ever a good reason why he's randomly charging out of position and making reckless tackles?

stevoc

God i hope we resigned him with an eye on sell on value.

He's an accident waiting to happen, i'd rather chuck Tuanzebe in at this point and see if he's actually up to it.
If Maguire's not fit for the final he has to partner Lindelof.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Awful last night. All over the place. Axel looked decent against Leicester. I'd play him against Fulham/Wolves in readiness for him playing in the EL final if Maguire isn't fit.

slored1

Thought he started well, but fell apart after the pen incident. He can be one of the best and one of the worst players on the pitch on his day, and the problem is that it is the same for a lot of our other players - Fred, Pogba, Rashford. We have to find players that are more consistent and with lower bottom levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.