Eric Bailly image 3

Eric Bailly Ivory Coast flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

I agree, the 2 goals he created in 2 friendlies I dont think anyone in our squad could have done that. He is very underrated on the ball, he has very good composure. He lacks long passing skill but more often that not, his passing is good.

The assist for Rashford goal was pure class.
I would say Bailly’s performance are often exaggerated. People say he’s either a 2/10 disaster or a 9/10 master class, but in reality most of his games are boring but decent to good 5-7/10. Many of the things he does are entertaining, like his step overs in his own penalty box, but have zero impact on the game. Yes he had a fantastic assist in the last friendly but it is not somethong happening regularly. In total he has zero assists in PL and one assist in total for his whole career.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I would say Bailly’s performance are often exaggerated. People say he’s either a 2/10 disaster or a 9/10 master class, but in reality most of his games are boring but decent to good 5-7/10. Many of the things he does are entertaining, like his step overs in his own penalty box, but have zero impact on the game. Yes he had a fantastic assist in the last friendly but it is not somethong happening regularly. In total he has zero assists in PL and one assist in total for his whole career.
He is a defender who defends, blocks, wins possession and is aggressive. That's the impact he will have on the game.

On the ball, it's all meh as we didn't have a coach where CBs were expected to make impact on the game with ball. It's all defend and long pass.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Roma interested for him and price seems to be 10m or so? Makes sense. Shame because he's actually a good player but makes way too many brainfarts and you can't trust him to stay fit. If fitness wasn't the issue I'd say persist, but at this point, just sell him and take the money. Need to get going on some of these sales anyway.

Maguire, Martinez, Lindelof and Varane is good.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Roma interested for him and price seems to be 10m or so? Makes sense. Shame because he's actually a good player but makes way too many brainfarts and you can't trust him to stay fit. If fitness wasn't the issue I'd say persist, but at this point, just sell him and take the money. Need to get going on some of these sales anyway.

I genuinely think he's a £30m player but we'll never get anywhere near that fee for him.

ThanksBoss26

Agree with this. Time to move on.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Got a funny feeling that his injury issues will miraculously vanish if he moves to another club, and 10m will turn out to be a bargain, but he’s worth feck all sat on our bench and we’re never going to unlock the potential that is undoubtedly in there. Might as well take the money and move him on, it’s best for both parties.

Abraxas

He’s easily worth 20m.
If a team can somehow keep him fit, he's worth that. Very quick, and suited to front football which a lot of teams want. It's just hard to imagine who is going to have the balls to lay down that money and salary when he's so unreliable. I think that's the sole reason he's not gone already.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If a team can somehow keep him fit, he's worth that. Very quick, and suited to front football which a lot of teams want. It's just hard to imagine who is going to have the balls to lay down that money and salary when he's so unreliable. I think that's the sole reason he's not gone already.
Bis unreliability is overstated. He’s no Phil Jones. Half of the time he isn’t playing is because he’s unselected. He’s still better then pretty much anything else you can get for £20m, and is still in his 20s (comfortably) himself. For a team like Roma - he’d be a star. He’d be one of the best defenders in Serie A easily.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Consistency is an underrated aspect of a footballer.

This is what we are instantly going to see in Lisandro Martinez - the ability to at least always give a 7/10 performance.

Varane has consistency issues and so does Bailly.

As good as Bailly maybe in one out of 3 games - within 5 games he will have a problem.

Gandalf

Bis unreliability is overstated. He’s no Phil Jones. Half of the time he isn’t playing is because he’s unselected. He’s still better then pretty much anything else you can get for £20m, and is still in his 20s (comfortably) himself. For a team like Roma - he’d be a star. He’d be one of the best defenders in Serie A easily.
Not so sure of that, he is totally mental and the unreliability is as much about the variability in his performance as his injury record. Today he was in a competition with Telles to see who could embarrass themselves more. Sure it was a 25 minute cameo in a pre season game but being perpetually out of position, getting carded for pretending you are in a WWE match and getting bullied for the equalizer does not suggest a top Serie A defender and we would be lucky to get 20p for him on that showing. I know he is capable of better but 6 years of not being able to string 2 performances together suggests his level is as a bench player in any top league.

Abraxas

He's had some lengthy absences, one keeping him out for pretty much a season and another for half a season. Then the usual knocks in-between that add up and mean you can't get a consistent CB pairing out which generally is disadvantageous. He's no Phil Jones but he's also no Harry Maguire. Finding a buyer should be possible, whether we'll get that fee I don't know, but I agree he could justify it.

stevoc

There's a reason for that, 3 managers in a row (looking like 4 with ETH) simply don't trust him. When he's fit and on form he's a very good player but let's be honest those stars only align for 4-5 games a season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There's a reason for that, 3 managers in a row (looking like 4 with ETH) simply don't trust him. When he's fit and on form he's a very good player but let's be honest those stars only align for 4-5 games a season.
Well you can’t be ‘on form’ if not selected. If those managers don’t want him, clearly the managers of interested teams do. And for that, they should pay more than 10m.

We can add EtH to the list too, but quite frankly, it cannot be based on him being our worst performing centre half in pre-season, because that simply hasn’t been the case. Seemingly, it’s already been decided that he won’t feature. He started pre-season impressively, and his reward was to begin seeing his time restricted, so I can’t imagine it was ever a fair fight to simply see who plays the best. Right now, he’s not injured, so I don’t see any relevance in his fitness with regards to selection.

stevoc

Well you can’t be ‘on form’ if not selected. If those managers don’t want him, clearly the managers of interested teams do.
Chicken and egg mate.

And he's been off form plenty of times when he is selected which is why in his 6 years at the club he's barely been first choice for any great stretch beyond the first season.

And for that, they should pay more than 10m.
Doubt there's a club on the planet that would be willing to pay more than £10-15m for him mate.

Last edited:

Gandalf

He has been my pick, by far our best performing CB this tour.
He was good against Liverpool and has been fairly awful since with his performance today coming in at somewhere below League 2 level. Not a high bar to clear but Maguire has actually performed the best of our CBs on the tour with the caveat that he probably ends up benched for Martinez and a fully fit Varane. Bailly has been his usual batshit crazy self and after 6 years at the club he is clearly 5th choice at best in the eyes of ETH and if we can get 10M we should take it and run.

PoTMS

That's a shockingly low fee. For all the memes he's a very good defender.
The Liverpool reserves second choice left back goes for £20m, we're barely getting half that for an international class footballer. We've been run like a circus for so long, these clubs don't take us seriously.

Banana Republic

I’m more concerned with Varane’s consistency and reliability than what we get from Bailly.
Since arriving, Varane has been just as injury prone and has looked poor or completely out of sorts on too many occasions.
We give him a pass, because of his past record and the fact that in his first season, he walked into a disaster for the whole team.
However, I’ve seen very little from Varane so far, that I’d automatically pick him over the sometimes erratic Bailly.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The Liverpool reserves second choice left back goes for £20m, we're barely getting half that for an international class footballer. These clubs don't take us seriously.
Honestly if we accept that then they don't take us seriously for good reason.

Gandalf

They can feck off with that offer.
Sure and if we don't take 10M now he will play half a dozen games a season for the last 2 years on his contract and leave on a free and we will all be pissing and moaning about why we didn't sell him. 6 years of nothing, 5th choice CB at a team that was practically a meme last season and we think someone is giving us more than 10M? We should bite their hands off and throw in Phil Jones as a free gift.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Sure and if we don't take 10M now he will play half a dozen games a season for the last 2 years on his contract and leave on a free and we will all be pissing and moaning about why we didn't sell him. 6 years of nothing, 5th choice CB at a team that was practically a meme last season and we think someone is giving us more than 10M? We should bite their hands off and throw in Phil Jones as a free gift.
Agreed. 10M is a no brainer given his squad status, wages, and injuries.

Gandalf

The Liverpool reserves second choice left back goes for £20m, we're barely getting half that for an international class footballer. We've been run like a circus for so long, these clubs don't take us seriously.
I am assuming you mean Neco Williams so that would be their back up RB and the fee was 17M including add ons. Not exactly a like for like comparison as in this deal you are paying for potential in a player who if he was not stuck behind TAA would have played a lot more for the first team and had been a stand out in a Wales team that just qualified for the World Cup. Bailly has no future potential, he is what he is and that is a CB who multiple managers have rated as being worse than Maguire and Lindelof and currently sits 5th in the pecking order at a club not exactly overflowing with star performers.

ThanksBoss26

He's played 75 first team games in the last five seasons. Don't think we've got a hope in hell's chance of getting £20m for him personally.

userman

£10m for Bailly is a very good price for us, and an offer I’m sure we’ll accept.
At his best he’s a good defender but injuries and inconsistent performances, when fit, means he will never and shouldn’t be more than 4/5th choice for us.

Bwuk

10m makes sense.

If we can get 40m for Bailly, Tuanzebe, Telles & Williams it’s great business. Pays for the majority of Martinez fee.

stevoc

Was the 2nd choice left back for Liverpool reserves on the same wages as Bailly though?

-Supreme-

I wouldn’t be surprised a sell on clause is include if we decide to sell him for £10m

Status
Not open for further replies.