Eric Bailly | loan agreed with OM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertd0803

Shouldn't it be Bailly reassuring Ole about first team appearances :lol:
Exactly.

Cant rely on him and hes not the quality of Ledley King where hes great when he does play despite being injured.

Off with him.

Abraxas

The problem with Bailly is it's not like he has been this Ledley King like figure when fit.

He has different strengths and weaknesses to our other centre backs, which leads to the argument that maybe he can make a balanced pairing with somebody. But in practice, most centre back pairing needs consistency to get any kind of performances. He's not that good that he can simply come in and we can expect wonderful outings. We still see his problems in the air and a lack of concentration mixed in with some good showings.

I could go either way on this one. I think it would depend on what he is asking for. Losing a good player for nothing would not be great, but realistically his value to us at this point is fairly low and I think this is why there is some kind of stand off developing.

Mike Smalling

Oddly enough, he is one of my favorite players in the squad. Seems quite likable and is really fun to watch. But in the end we can't trust him to be fit, when we need him, so he should be let go.

Now if only we could get rid of Phil Jones, as well.

AFC NimbleThumb

Pathetic mentality to have. So just because we didn't have the best window we should now keep more Rojo and Jones in the team? That's like saying I'll never step out of the house because I'm afraid a plane will drop on me and frankly with his injury record and lack of reliability in big games he has no right to set demands and ultimatums. Say what you want about Maguire/Lindelof but they are FAR more reliable fitness wise and FAR more reliable in big games.
Better to let him go and see what our new "transfer committee" will do we had a bad window last year but there is a bigger chance of us replacing Bailly well than him being a reliable CB
Keep Rojo & Jones? er no.

Being hit by a plane? erm, ok.

I’ll give you Lindelof & Maguire being fitter though.

Our shiny new DoF has had a hand in transfers for some time now but I guess a new job title may breed better results. . . Nothing like blind optimism I suppose.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Ole prefers his favourites (Lindelöf & Maguire) even when he's fit and they play like shit so him being injury prone doesn't mean much. We have a manager who made his mind up and doesn't select his teams based on performances. That's probably why he's frustrated and rightly so. Such a shame because he's clearly our best defender at the club.
When Bailly was actually fit he was playing one game a week in rotation with Lindelof. Lindelof was normally starting the harder matches, but that's fair enough until Bailly had proven himself properly.

The problem is that Bailly has already had four different injuries this season.

90 + 5min

I like the guy. I think he could have been a great defender. And still can. Problem is, like many of you already said, injuries.

kundalini

Under Mourinho, Bailly made 40 PL starts, 5 sub, unused sub 10 matches. But after his ankle injury, the respective numbers were 8 PL starts, 4 sub, 7 unused sub.

Under Solskjaer, Bailly has made 11 PL starts, 6 sub, unused sub 28 matches. Transfermarkt state that he has been injured for a total of 61 PL matches since joining United.

He was a first choice starter until his ankle injury. Our defensive record with him in the team was generally good for the first 18 months and astonishing during 2017. I thought he struggled to regain his form after the ankle injury. Then an extended period out after knee surgery, allowed Lindelof and Maguire time to establish a partnership.

Anyway, Bailly has to choose between playing time, which he is likely to get more of elsewhere, and the higher salary he would probably earn staying at United.

At the moment, he is a good option to use for specific matches, rather than a serious contender for a regular starting position, though if a vacancy arises due to injury, then he might be able to force his way into the team.

Last edited:

dinostar77

Utd want £20mil for Bailly if he refuses to sign a new deal. There is favouritism towards Lindelof from Ole which is annoying Bailly. Its not down to performances in training or on the pitch but favouritism so he's unhappy. Also been told Utd will be bringing in a new CB this summer so Bailly could drop to fourth choice. Not ideal.

Source: Transfer Window Podcast.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Utd want £20mil for Bailly if he refuses to sign a new deal. There is favouritism towards Lindelof from Ole which is annoying Bailly. Its not down to performances in training or on the pitch but favouritism so he's unhappy. Also been told Utd will be bringing in a new CB this summer so Bailly could drop to fourth choice. Not ideal.

He is injury prone player, no manager will trust him to be the first choice player until he proves he can stay fit.

TheReligion

Abusive
If Bailly is really playing silly buggers over this he needs moving on ASAP. The club has been paying his wages throughout his repeated injuries and has stuck by him. He's no right to start getting high and mighty about playing time when he can't keep himself on the pitch when he gets the chance.

The club needs a solid, regular centre half partnership. He's not proven he can be regular at any one point yet and the irony is as we speak about his contract he's injured again!

A-man

1. This "favouritism" towards Lindelof has led to 8 clean sheets in 12 matches after Bailly's injury in January. Those clean sheets include City, Chelsea, Milan, Arsenal and West Ham. Nothing strange with favouring a player who is part of results like that.
2. A player who injured all the time can never expect to get a run of games until he has proven he can stay fit for a long period of time. He will be used for rotation and back up if someone is injured. Simple as that.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Seriously, who's gonna pay £20 million for a central defender who will remain fit for 10 games a season at best?

And this favouritism thing is silly. Ole favours Lindelof over Bailly for one reason only; his fitness record. Performances in training and on the pitch don't enter the equation.

Judas

Open to offers
He is injury prone player, no manager will trust him to be the first choice player until he proves he can stay fit.
This really. Shame it looks like a once popular member of the squad is going to leave with the fans thinking they're a bit of a mug, but he's doing himself no favours. If he was fit more often his entire time at Utd would be very different.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Oddly enough, he is one of my favorite players in the squad. Seems quite likable and is really fun to watch. But in the end we can't trust him to be fit, when we need him, so he should be let go.

Now if only we could get rid of Phil Jones, as well.
He does seem quite affable & down to earth. I like him as well. fecker is just made of crêpe paper.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm quite happy about this.

As good as the players are (and I am a fan and a supporter of a lot of these players) - Ole within his next transfer windows need to be getting rid of Bailly, Martial, Matic, Fred, Mata, Jones, De Gea and Possibly James (depending on how happy he would be with a limited number of games a season).

TsuWave

Lindelof is a bum and Bailly's performances have been more assured for awhile. I'd be mad too. Ole's favouritism of a bunch of poor players is one of the reasons I'll pop champagne the day United drops the comunicado oficial stating he's been booted.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Lindelof is a bum and Bailly's performances have been more assured for awhile. I'd be mad too. Ole's favouritism of a bunch of poor players is one of the reasons I'll pop champagne the day United drops the comunicado oficial stating he's been booted.
But Bailly has been injured. You can't rely on him to make successive appearances. There's no favouritism here. It's just common sense.

BarstoolProphet

Lindelöf might be a bum, but atleast (if reports are true) Lindelöf is consistently available and offer to play even if he suffers from niggling injuries, opposed to Bailly who seems to be out for months with broken hair straws. I like Bailly, in fact he seems like of one the most likeable characters in the squad, but I'm afraid he suffers from delusion here. He might be more talented but we need consistency in that position.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It's weird how Baily's fanboys keep ignoring the fundamental fact that the guy is made out of glass.

He's made 62 appearances for United (not counting friendlies) since he joined in 2016. Laughable.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I'm quite happy about this.

As good as the players are (and I am a fan and a supporter of a lot of these players) - Ole within his next transfer windows need to be getting rid of Bailly, Martial, Matic, Fred, Mata, Jones, De Gea and Possibly James (depending on how happy he would be with a limited number of games a season).
Is that on the back of the Leicester game? He's been good lately. Just as good as Kante.

TsuWave

But Bailly has been injured. You can't rely on him to make successive appearances. There's no favouritism here. It's just common sense.
I’m not about to sit here and act like I’ve not watched Bailly be the best element in our back four only for him to be dropped the next game and Lindelof start. And no, he wasn’t injured.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I’m not about to sit here and act like I’ve not watched Bailly be the best element in our back four only for him to be dropped the next game and Lindelof start. And no, he wasn’t injured.
Would you want to build a successful defensive partnership over a guy like Baily ?

I feel Ole and the coaching staff dont feel Baily is capable of playing consecutive minutes without breaking down at some point.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Good riddance. He's turned into another Phil Jones with his injury record. Been ok when he played, but he's not a player a manager can depend on. Just bring in one CB who can start this summer.

Dorris

Not good enough, never will be. Get rid. It's ok to have an inconsistent winger in your team such as Rashford, but not a centre half who every other week has an absolute horror show. One of our biggest downfalls in recent years is hanging onto players insisting they'll come good instead of moving them on, not sure how many more chances this lad needs, hes been here 5 years.

A-man

Why would you want to play him if he can't stay fit? It makes sense to only play him when we need to rest other players.
Also, Lindelof has performed better and against much bigger teams so performance wise there makes no sense to whine either. I can understand if he got angry that Ole chose Lindelof vs Milan away, but looking at the game how it was played, I don't see that Bailly could have made us any better.

All together it is so unrealistic that Bailly would even consider to complain, that it makes me doubt any of this is true. Unless it is just pure tactics from him and his agent.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is that on the back of the Leicester game? He's been good lately. Just as good as Kante.
I am a big Fan of Fred and I'm not someone who points at him after a bad game because I appreciate his strengths and his numerous good performances.

However, in the long term when I look at the CDM position - I would like 3 different defensive types of midfielders; one ball winning CDM that can cover the area in front of the CB's, a deep lying playmaker and finally a box to box midfielder.

I feel that Fred and Mctomminay are 2 players doing the similar type of jobs as box to box players and in the long term I dont think we need to keep 2.

theklr

Please please manage to include him in a swap deal with Pau Torres.

Judas

Open to offers
The whole hysteria over Bailly is based off the wishful thinking of him staying fit. He clearly has to be managed, and can't be managed in the same way Lindelof can be who has played injured. I just find it a bit weird how fully grown adults blindly fanboy over players. Of course Bailly has sat on the bench while Lindelof has started ahead of him, because he's not trusted to stay fit, so his game time is clearly managed carefully.

Having said that, if he's such an injury prone and pretty much unreliable player in terms of staying healthy, why we're even offering him a new deal is kind of another can of worms in itself.

TsuWave

Would you want to build a successful defensive partnership over a guy like Baily ?
I'd want players to be in the team based on performances, and when they're available. Ole isn't building anything successful.

Why would you want to play him if he can't stay fit? It makes sense to only play him when we need to rest other players.
Also, Lindelof has performed better and against much bigger teams so performance wise there makes no sense to whine either. I can understand if he got angry that Ole chose Lindelof vs Milan away, but looking at the game how it was played, I don't see that Bailly could have made us any better.

All together it is so unrealistic that Bailly would even consider to complain, that it makes me doubt any of this is true. Unless it is just pure tactics from him and his agent.
I see you putting Milan and Arsenal in these alleged "bigger teams". Let's have some shame. Also, please. As if United hasn't been battered by supposedly small teams with Lindelof in the line-up.

I have no interest in a back and forth with you about this. I know you will stand with your fellow country man, and that's cool. I'm just saying I feel what Bailly's saying (if true). These sentiments have also been voiced in his thread by multiple posters prior to these reports. It is what it is.

I feel Ole and the coaching staff dont feel Baily is capable of playing consecutive minutes without breaking down at some point.
exactly. Zero chance you would want to make any long term plans based around Bailly. He doesn’t even work as a back up and he’s not fit when needed.

matsdf

I'd want players to be in the team based on performances, and when they're available. Ole isn't building anything successful.
How is 10 clean sheets in the last 14 games not "anything successful"?

redrobed

Ledley King Syndrome.

Many convinced he’s some great player and he’s never fit to prove them other wise - how will we ever know?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Bailly is undoubtedly a talented footballer, but his appalling fitness record and questionable decision making (I wonder if he has a fully functional brain at times) makes him unreliable. Move him on asap, preferably in a part-exchange involving Torres as mentioned above. Torres' asking price will be huge so anything that reduces it will be a welcome bonus.

Lindelof is a reliable enough backup option so he's worth keeping around.

Last edited:

sugar_kane

Genuinely pretty embarrassing from Bailly if true, Ole has given Bailly plenty of chances but he's hardly ever fit. We need a stable partnership at the back and to be fair, Lindelof has been pretty solid this season. Bailly is no stranger himself to the odd feck up.

Does anyone have the stats on how many games Bailly has started this season when fit? Would expect it's fairly decent eg. around 30/40%.

A-man

I see you putting Milan and Arsenal in these alleged "bigger teams". Let's have some shame. Also, please. As if United hasn't been battered by supposedly small teams with Lindelof in the line-up.

I have no interest in a back and forth with you about this. I know you will stand with your fellow country man, and that's cool. I'm just saying I feel what Bailly's saying (if true). These sentiments have also been voiced in his thread by multiple posters prior to these reports. It is what it is.
With bigger teams I didn’t mean Arsenal and Milan, but I guess they could be included.

Bailly has performed very well in a handful of matches against lesser teams and overall Tom except this disaster performance vs Spurs. But when he came back from his latest injury, he was competing for his spot against a CB who just kept his second clean sheet against City, in a match where we also beat them. Why would Bailly just walk straight in to the starting XI?

If you want more objective ratings, take an average of the ratings the newspapers have given the players and you’ll see it is not only Ole and his staff who see value in Lindelof. Baillys best performance cues are constantly over rated here, just as his poor performances are exaggerated. Some seem to think he is always a 9/10 or 1/10 but he is never any of that.

It just makes no sense that Bailly would be disappointed in this way. United have been extremely patient with him, and after every injury he’s been getting the easy cup matches that would be perfect to develop our young players.

dinostar77

Genuinely pretty embarrassing from Bailly if true, Ole has given Bailly plenty of chances but he's hardly ever fit. We need a stable partnership at the back and to be fair, Lindelof has been pretty solid this season. Bailly is no stranger himself to the odd feck up.

Does anyone have the stats on how many games Bailly has started this season when fit? Would expect it's fairly decent eg. around 30/40%.
Allegedly the favouritism to lindelof is a running joke in the dressing room. Bailly isn't alone in this. Ole has form for ignoring performances in training and in matches to pick his favourites.

sugar_kane

Allegedly the favouritism to lindelof is a running joke in the dressing room. Bailly isn't alone in this. Ole has form for ignoring performances in training and in matches to pick his favourites.
Where have you seen this? Also, how would you know anything about training performances?

On the pitch (where it counts) our second string have been almost entirely average and occasionally awful. The obvious exceptions are Greenwood and Dan James who have fought their way into the starting line up, as it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.