Eric Bailly | loan agreed with OM

Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Hopefully Bailly being sold happens soon and is followed by many other outgoings. Its time to cut our losses.

I like Bailly. He's got all the gifts and, if he could stay fit, I think he could develop into top centre half. However, we're at the point where we're literally stockpiling players now. I struggle to believe that Bailly's latest minutes couldn't have been given to someone like Mengi. Having such an over bloated squad serves nobody.

You can argue the toss about who's better but, besides Varane, we've not got one elite centre back so its no loss losing one.

sillwuka

Always liked Bailly as a character and a player but injuries and consistency have hampered him.

It makes total sense for him, he's a bit part player here and Milan are fighting for the title. Hope he goes and cements a place over there!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Very cute :drool:

Acting like Maguire came before Bailly and took his place.

The guy was shit when he was competing with Lindelof and Smalling!

Now he is the best all of a sudden in our squad haha.

Literally injury prone as Jones.
Which comes to no surprise considering that Bailly was a reserve and Maguire was the most expensive CB in football

I want them both out. However as said some still believe that Fridge is a United first team level player despite committing so many mistakes

Last edited:

CloneMC16

Even though I'd usually be okay with letting unhappy players leave, I would be unsure of letting Bailly go. He is injury prone, but so are our other 3 CB's. If we signed a replacement, I'd be cool with it, but there is little chance of that. We aren't stockpiled with defenders. We are with attacking midfielders and forwards. I'd be happy to let some of them leave.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How is Mengi?

I don't watch much reserve football.

I wonder if he is ready or good enough to take the next step up.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Both Tuanzebe and Bailly leaving the club and the squad, doesn't that mean you would need to add a CB?
On paper, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof and Jones should be enough but at least one of them can be expected to be injured at any time. Or am I missing someone.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
obviously lost in the translation (and headline) from DiMarzio is that Milan are clear that they only want a loan, as cover for Kjaer until end of season. Summer targets are both Botman and Bremer.
Again, I know you think "oh, Milan and loans...", but DiMarzio himself was clear - we only want a 6mos loan so we can get "our guy" come summer. And, to be fair, last loan+option we had from the EPL, we bought out for 28M (Tomori)

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I like him. But our squad is overly bloated so I'll literally be happy with any sales right now.

4 goalkeepers
2 right backs (neither of sufficient quality to start)
2 left backs (debatable quality at best)
5 senior CB here, 2 on loan. (injuries/quality all debatable)
8 midfielders
8 attackers

You just can't have a 30 man squad without even including the youth players who you want to give some minutes to. Just purely depth wise we have to get rid of 5-7 players so we can have a more concise squad. A bloated squad is never good. As someone mentioned, our management has hoarded players because of asset value in the books, even if it's useless value. Need to trim the fat before we can buy.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Biggest myth in Premiership history this....we are 4th in the amount of money generated from player sales since the Premiership began.
No shit, only 6 clubs have been in the PL every season since its inception. And our players are better than those belonging to most other clubs, so of course we're naturally going to get higher fees, on average, when we sell. Doesn't mean we're doing it well.

poleglass red

the best we can hope for is a loan I feel, I can't see any club paying a fee for him with his injury record. Loan with an option to buy maybe after he proves himself. Only benefit to that would be, it gets one of the so called "11" out of the squad. Downside is we aren't exactly stacked with central defenders.

CloneMC16

Both Tuanzebe and Bailly leaving the club and the squad, doesn't that mean you would need to add a CB?
On paper, Maguire, Varane, Lindelof and Jones should be enough but at least one of them can be expected to be injured at any time. Or am I missing someone.
For whatever reason, I forgot about Jones. :lol:

I guess we're fine with those 4, but all of them are injury prone.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
That will come in the summer, right now it's time to clear the moaners who are backup. Let's just hope this isn't another loan though
He shouldn't have been at the point he started to moan. He should have been starting whenever fit next to Varane.

Did you forget the white txt?
You left out the next bit "(with the exception of Varane)."
Please don't tell me you find it outrageous he's better than Linda and Magdire?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
So we don't get rid of an injury-prone striker in Cavani because of Covid but we're happy to be down to 3 CBs till the end of the season. And don't even mention Phil Jones because he's played once in 2 years despite his amazing outing against Wolves.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
No shit, only 6 clubs have been in the PL every season since its inception. And our players are better than those belonging to most other clubs, so of course we're naturally going to get higher fees, on average, when we sell. Doesn't mean we're doing it well.
The statement was 'We are the worst in the history of football at selling players'

I have just proved that we aren't, we generally get decent money for our players, and generally as we are not a selling club, it stands to reason that we usually only get rid of players we don't need or are not at their peak(so players of lesser quality), rather than say Spurs who sell to accumulate cash due to them historically being a selling club!

Its a myth that needs to die a death already.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
So we don't get rid of an injury-prone striker in Cavani because of Covid but we're happy to be down to 3 CBs till the end of the season. And don't even mention Phil Jones because he's played once in 2 years despite his amazing outing against Wolves.
He's gotta start somewhere, jheeze.

lex talionis

As I understand Milan are only interested in a loan deal. I’m turn on this one but in the end a loan could be ideal both Bailly and United.

It’s easy to poke fun at Jones but he proved against Wolves he’s a decent fourth choice at CB. He’s happy to be fourth choice, whereas Bailly isn’t. Let’s see what Bailly can do in Serie A and we can assess in May what to do about him.

crossy1686

career ending
He shouldn't have been at the point he started to moan. He should have been starting whenever fit next to Varane.
Is he really good enough to demand a starting spot next to Varane though? Yes, Maguire has been shit this season, yes Lindelof is lightweight but neither of them do mad shit like over head kicks and Cruyff turns in their own box, and neither of them are injured as consistently as he is either. Hard to make a claim for a consistent spot when you're out for 5 games every 3 games. A defence needs consistency.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
You left out the next bit "(with the exception of Varane)."
Please don't tell me you find it outrageous he's better than Linda and Magdire?
I get that Harry is the latest trendy hate figure, and nobody can say he’s been anything other than woefully out of form since he was rushed back from injury but previously he’s been fantastic, especially (and irritatingly) his form for England. I’d take that guy over Eric all day long.
The problem with Bailly is he is too rash and erratic. For every decent block or tackle he makes there is a handful of yellow cards, own goals or injuries. He’s certainly more entertaining than Maguire or Lindelof but there is only so many goal line heart-in-mouth scrambles one can stand! I don’t dislike the guy at all, but he is not the answer for starting CB and if he isn’t happy with a supporting role (especially given his injuries and time out) he should be allowed to move on and we should try to get an upgrade who can be part of the starting CB pair.

Guapa

Hope he does well then comes back here.Rate him higher than all our other CB's apart from Varane.Get Axel back as well ;)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Massive loss. He's our best CB when fit (with the exception of Varane).

We're getting rid of him instead of the worse CB we bought for 80m that we could probably flog to Newcastle for 50m.

It's understandable he wants out. Imagine having to watch Maguire stink up the place week in, week out and never getting a look in. That must be frustrating.
No he doesn’t get a look in because he’s rarely fit and when he is fit he can’t string any consistency together, his games are peppered with brain farts

romufc

Hope he does well then comes back here.Rate him higher than all our other CB's apart from Varane.Get Axel back as well ;)
Axel is overrated. He couldn't eve get game time for Villa.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Is he really good enough to demand a starting spot next to Varane though? Yes, Maguire has been shit this season, yes Lindelof is lightweight but neither of them do mad shit like over head kicks and Cruyff turns in their own box, and neither of them are injured as consistently as he is either. Hard to make a claim for a consistent spot when you're out for 5 games every 3 games. A defence needs consistency.
Bailly's madness doesn't cost us any more than Maguire's/Lindelof's non defending/ball watching.

I get that Harry is the latest trendy hate figure, and nobody can say he’s been anything other than woefully out of form since he was rushed back from injury but previously he’s been fantastic, especially (and irritatingly) his form for England. I’d take that guy over Eric all day long.
The problem with Bailly is he is too rash and erratic. For every decent block or tackle he makes there is a handful of yellow cards, own goals or injuries. He’s certainly more entertaining than Maguire or Lindelof but there is only so many goal line heart-in-mouth scrambles one can stand! I don’t dislike the guy at all, but he is not the answer for starting CB and if he isn’t happy with a supporting role (especially given his injuries and time out) he should be allowed to move on and we should try to get an upgrade who can be part of the starting CB pair.
Maguire really wasn't that good last season. He was better than Lindelof playing through a back injury. His start to the season was atrocious (understandably so, then again, maybe he shouldn't have played) and his ability on the ball and elegant first touch is rightfully a meme at this point.

Maguire's international performances are about as relevant as Pogba's/Fred's. Tyrone Mings did a fantastic job replacing him btw.

It's not just about Bailly having a supporting role. He hasn't gotten a serious look in and was last choice both this season and the one before.

Gandalf

I don't know what the strategy is with the younger CBs for the remainder of the season, certainly Mengi having just gone on loan you would assume is not going to be recalled but maybe Bernard could be called back as cover having had a strong half a season with Hull. I do know we recalled Will Fish from Stockport although that was due to him not getting any game time but I do know he is very highly thought of at the club and so could possibly be our emergency option if injuries bite.

Nickosaur

Quick, before he gets injured again

Who would we have left at CB? Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, Jones... and Fish?

AneRu

As I understand Milan are only interested in a loan deal. I’m turn on this one but in the end a loan could be ideal both Bailly and United.

It’s easy to poke fun at Jones but he proved against Wolves he’s a decent fourth choice at CB. He’s happy to be fourth choice, whereas Bailly isn’t. Let’s see what Bailly can do in Serie A and we can assess in May what to do about him.
Shouldn't we at least wait until the closing hours of the window to see how our other CBs recover. I mean Jones was back for one match and swiftly returned to the treatment room whilst Lindelof is back but not really fit and Maguire and Varane have their issues too. Billy is a crock but I would rather have 5 crocks than give away one for a lousy loan deal that won't help us at all.

A loan would be brilliant. He would dominate the Italian league, and a consistent 6 month run would do wonders for his mentality. If he stays fit we would have a very good player returning in the summer, if not, well we've not lost anything.

Dante

Average bang
You know when you're playing pool and you're losing and you're pissed off and you know there's no way back? So then you just say feck it, and smack the ball as hard as you can on every turn and hope that something bounces off the cushions into one of the pockets?

That's how Bailly plays football.

Tallis

A loan would be brilliant. He would dominate the Italian league, and a consistent 6 month run would do wonders for his mentality. If he stays fit we would have a very good player returning in the summer, if not, well we've not lost anything.
More Likely to dominate the Italian hospitals...

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Hm, the only thing that a loan spell maximises is the Glazers' return because they're hoping for a Smalling-like outcome of loan and decent fee.

On the footballing side, we're left exposed in a crucial period of months and on the cleaning the squad side, he'll be back in the summer anyway.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If we were signing Zakaria or some other DM who can play CB this might make sense. 4 proper CBs with the likes of Matic, McTominay, Zakaria, at a push Luke Shaw who can fill in in case of injuries. Plus McShane of course :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Another loan move? Jesus wept. We're going to end up loaning out all our players until they run their contracts down aren't we? Meanwhile we'll have a 13 man squad and a bunch of kids to field.

poleglass red

depends on who pays his wages. I'd imagine Milan would want him with us still paying for at least half his wages. I'd be wary of a loan move at this stage, we need cover. We also need to trim the squad, if Milan want to buy him, then make a deal, anything else I wouldn't be too keen on

Satsuma United

Bailly, Jones, why are they still United players ?

Our Board and managers created this system that rewards injury-prones and mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.