Eric Cantona - Kung Fu Legend

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
The kick costed him his place in France 98 squad, could have got a World Cup trophy in his cabinet, even though he was 31.

Seems completely madness that a player of his quality never attended a World Cup.

He should have qualified to 94 WC, have not been for Ginola fecking up the last ball against Bulgaria, France had a great team.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The kick costed him his place in France 98 squad, could have got a World Cup trophy in his cabinet, even though he was 31.

Seems completely madness that a player of his quality never attended a World Cup.

He should have qualified to 94 WC, have not been for Ginola fecking up the last ball against Bulgaria, France had a great team.
Eh, there's some doubt about that. It's rumored that Aime Jacquet didn't think the team could have both Cantona and Zidane, and that he had to make a choice between the two, which also could have been a reason to have spurred Cantona to retire from the French NT (France had been winning without him for a while since the kick). It ended up working out for France, but it is a shame that a player like him never got to play in the world cup. This is the man that basically got me interested in Manchester United when I was still living in France, and he was one of my favorite players growing up.

Last edited:

Dread Devil

I was there…. Same stand but at other end, very close to where he “tackled Shaw” and got sent off…..knew something had gone on but had to wait to get to a pub to see it properly….

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I well remember this, although I haven't seen the recording for a long time. Seeing it again, it looks fortunate for Eric that he rolls off the edge of the barrier and back onto the pitch after launching himself, rather than landing the other side, where he would've been trapped against the barrier and likely having to fend off a few shoves and kicks at the very least. He was lucky as well that this happened in a side stand, mostly likely populated by a bigger proportion of relatively less excitable supporters. Try this sort of caper in a ruck of fanatical Rangers or Lazio fans, and the outcome would likely have been nastier. Wonder what Cantona's thoughts are on the incident, these days? I'm assuming he takes a pretty dim view of his younger self losing it to that extent.
Over a year ago but only just seen this post.

It wasn’t Rangers or Lazio you’re right. I vividly remember one guy in a flasher mac... looked quite a timid group to be honest but if it hadn’t been, he’d have done exactly the same.

And to this day, his only regret is not kicking the knob harder. I went to ”an evening with” him a few years ago at The Lowry and he was very clear on that.

Exactly what I want in a United player… ability, passion and take no shit attitude.

Legend.

Marwood

What I wouldn't give for some more characters like him in football.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I remember it like it was yesterday. The only season when we never won the League with Eric Cantona in the team.

Fecking love this guy.
Look at the character of that team. Straight to the ref to protest the sending off, straight over to the Palace fans to back Eric.

That Man Utd was something special. And we didn't even win F-k all that season. I can still remember how I felt when Paul Rideout scored at Wembley. FFS.

Wilt

One of SAF’s greatest managerial accomplishments was going to Paris and persuading Eric to stay with Utd.

Oranges038

Ref that night was a total prick.

I like bit before that. Just after he gets sent off, he turns down his collar and he walks away. Then he's just standing in front on the dugout for few seconds and Fergie doesn't even look at him. He's fuming.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
What a man! Though that probably lost us the title that year :lol:
I would say it probably did. We had a few poor home results, I recall a scoreless draw V Leeds for example , towards the end of the season.
It’s hard to imagine Eric wouldn’t have won at least one of those games for us.
If we had managed to win it it would have been one of the sweetest ever.
I don’t blame Eric though. Not one bit.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I would say it probably did. We had a few poor home results, I recall a scoreless draw V Leeds for example , towards the end of the season.
It’s hard to imagine Eric wouldn’t have won at least one of those games for us.
If we had managed to win it it would have been one of the sweetest ever.
I don’t blame Eric though. Not one bit.
Who could, he's the king after all.

Anyway looking at the table a single point would have done it and we definitely looked very unimaginative after that, you could argue that it wouldn't even been that close in the first place if we had him.

What a phenomenal league record the man had, won it in every single season aside from that one , and well he couldn't play in it anyway.

Tarrou

Eh, there's some doubt about that. It's rumored that Aime Jacquet didn't think the team could have both Cantona and Zidane, and that he had to make a choice between the two, which also could have been a reason to have spurred Cantona to retire from the French NT (France had been winning without him for a while since the kick). It ended up working out for France, but it is a shame that a player like him never got to play in the world cup. This is the man that basically got me interested in Manchester United when I was still living in France, and he was one of my favorite players growing up.
I think it probably did. He lost his place to Zidane during the suspension and never got it back. And this was after his reputation was already sketchy for various things including calling a previous France manager a bag of shit right?

And they surely could've used an extra quality forward in the squad if not the first eleven. Guivarc'h never did much for France did he? Cantona could play the lead striker with his back to goal quite effectively.