Eric Dier runs into stand angrily confronting fan, has to be restrained

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
All depends what he saw really. If his brother was taking a pasting and he saw it and felt he had to get there to help - I think they'll be more lenient.

If it was just a bit of a shouting match then they'll probably give him 5-8 games. It won't be as bad as Cantona as he didn't actually attack anybody as far as I've seen, but he probably would have if he caught him.

cyberman

I kinda don't have a problem with this as long as its a rare occurrence. The matchday ticket price does not come with the right to be an abusive assh*le.
Again we have no idea what happened. The benefit of the doubt Eric is getting for losing his temper, running up how many flights of stairs to start a fan after a pen loss when emotions are high is ridiculous.
Why cant Eric just be an overreacting asshole?

Bestietom

It's the intent though. There doesn't have to be contact in order for it to be violent conduct.

If they want to make an example of him, he could well get a lengthly ban.
The players being safe from the crowd. Now it's the crowd being safe from the players.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
If I saw an 1.88m guy who is very bulked running at me angry, pretty sure I wouldn't stand still :D

Alabaster Codify7

Some great comments/quips in here, hahaha!
Serious note, if its shown that his brother was being assaulted or in danger of that, I don't blame him.

stu_1992

Not a great look is it? Unclear from thr video if he's actually hit anyone, but he's gone out of his way to aggressively confront them. Had plenty of time while climbing over seats to think "yeah maybe this is a bad idea". Still though, if he thought he needed to jump in behalf of his younger brother, I can understand it. Wonder what sort of punishment he'll get?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Then it totally depends on what happened of course.

People are reacting to what Jose said happened. No reason to think he's lying.
What did he say? The brother was in trouble? Getting beat up? Arguing? At what point is it ok to slowly start striding seats in the stand to go save the day?

Zlatattack

Rate Jose for defending him. Don't know why people are having a go at Dier, he was defending his brother.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What did he say? The brother was in trouble? Getting beat up? Arguing? At what point is it ok to slowly start striding seats in the stand to go save the day?
According to an eye witness. Two men were involved in a heated argument which got physical. One was obviously Dier’s brother. He started to vault the seats and was very angry.some Spurs fans tried to stop him from getting involved. The ‘other’ guy tried to leave and was being followed by Dier.
Then it all fizzled out....bit like Spurs really

alexthelion

Not a great look is it? Unclear from thr video if he's actually hit anyone, but he's gone out of his way to aggressively confront them. Had plenty of time while climbing over seats to think "yeah maybe this is a bad idea". Still though, if he thought he needed to jump in behalf of his younger brother, I can understand it. Wonder what sort of punishment he'll get?
Should get the same as Cantona.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Rate Jose for defending him. Don't know why people are having a go at Dier, he was defending his brother.
I’m seeing this so much :lol:
defending his brother from what? What do you know that I don’t? Was his brother getting beat up? Because I’m sure if he was dier would be hurdling those seats a bit quicker and actually doing something when he got there other than mouthing off. If his brother was in serious trouble dier took an age to get there.

he just had anger issues in the spur of the moment in my opinion and started big man wading, was his brother just arguing and dier wanted involved in the argument?

I hope he has the book thrown at him, can’t go storming into the stands like that inciting potentially inciting violence and riots. Cantona couldnt twenty years ago, you certainly can’t these days

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
defending his brother from what? What do you know that I don’t? Was his brother getting beat up? Because I’m sure if he was dier would be hurdling those seats a bit quicker and actually doing something when he got there other than mouthing off. If his brother was in serious trouble dier took an age to get there.

he just had anger issues in the spur of the moment in my opinion and started big man wading, was his brother just arguing and dier wanted involved in the argument?

I hope he has the book thrown at him, can’t go storming into the stands like that inciting potentially inciting violence and riots. Cantona couldnt twenty years ago, you certainly can’t these days
You know as much as we do and you are advocating he gets the book thrown at him. You are just as bad as everybody else.

None of us know what actually happened yet.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Maybe we can see this as an opportunity. If a fan is hurling racist or particularly nasty abuse, a player should just be allowed to kick the shit out of them for an extra goal in the game, VAR could actually be useful for this. Ref gets a call in his ear to go and watch a monitor, sees someone mouthing something racist or personal, then the fan is dragged to the centre circle where the player fights them for a minute. If the player wins they get a goal. Might stop racism and make the sport feel a little bit more manly again.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You know as much as we do and you are advocating he gets the book thrown at him. You are just as bad as everybody else.

None of us know what actually happened yet.
I know he went charging into the stands

Withnail

I know he went charging into the stands
Which is really all that matters.

They'll definitely make an example of him. No one is claiming his brother's life was in danger which is the only justifiable excuse, I think.

And if it was in danger he would have wanted to have been quicker about it.

Imran Mamdani

According to an eye witness. Two men were involved in a heated argument which got physical. One was obviously Dier’s brother. He started to vault the seats and was very angry.some Spurs fans tried to stop him from getting involved. The ‘other’ guy tried to leave and was being followed by Dier.
Then it all fizzled out....bit like Spurs really
isn't that the reason we have security around stadiums to stop/restraint exactly that? what's the difference between the actions of dier v cantona... personally i think he should have let the security sort it out, plus if the fight went physical his brother must have contributed to that by perhaps being aggresive or the nature of the conversation...

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Which is really all that matters.

They'll definitely make an example of him. No one is claiming his brother's life was in danger which is the only justifiable excuse, I think.

And if it was in danger he would have wanted to have been quicker about it.
exactly

matt10000

Maybe we can see this as an opportunity. If a fan is hurling racist or particularly nasty abuse, a player should just be allowed to kick the shit out of them for an extra goal in the game, VAR could actually be useful for this. Ref gets a call in his ear to go and watch a monitor, sees someone mouthing something racist or personal, then the fan is dragged to the centre circle where the player fights them for a minute. If the player wins they get a goal. Might stop racism and make the sport feel a little bit more manly again.
Forget the law and due process......just bring out the lions.....

Cliche Guevara

:lol:

And this why I love the internet.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
When are we going to start talking about the amount of abuse players get?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Again we have no idea what happened. The benefit of the doubt Eric is getting for losing his temper, running up how many flights of stairs to start a fan after a pen loss when emotions are high is ridiculous.
Why cant Eric just be an overreacting asshole?
Rightly or wrongly, people are saying it because we all know football fans tend to lay on abuse without any genuine repurcussions. It's one of those problems that you can see from both perspectives - that he shouldn't have gone up into the stands, and that he shouldn't have received abuse to begin with (assuming he did of course)

Last edited:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Think it's obvious what happened.
People close to Dier's brother were deliberately slating Dier so the brother would hear it. The brother threatened that if they continued, Dier would "see them soon" [see what Dier said about Herrera in 2016]. Dier arrives on the scene, only to say, "hold me back". The End

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Because if his brother was seriously in trouble I’m sure he’d be in more of a rush to get there and when he did get there, there’d be a brother to save.
Dier just wades over seats head down and turns up to nothing.

he just looked angry to me and wanted involved in something maybe involving his brother.

If footage does come out of diers brother actually havIng a tuning and needing saving I’d be disappointed at the speed and lack of action from dier to be honest.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Because if his brother was seriously in trouble I’m sure he’d be in more of a rush to get there and when he did get there, there’d be a brother to save.
Dier just wades over seats head down and turns up to nothing.

he just looked angry to me and wanted involved in something maybe involving his brother.

If footage does come out of diers brother actually havIng a tuning and needing saving I’d be disappointed at the speed and lack of action from dier to be honest.
So if he was actually in bother the thing you're contesting is the speed of which he approached the incident? I would think having football boots on and having to climb over seating might have something to do with that. In addition, if one fan was confronting his brother I'm not surprised he left pretty promptly after seeing Dier moving towards the incident.

At the moment it certainly looks like his brother was caught up in something (listening to what Jose said and watching some of the videos) and Dier has decided to go and get involved after seeing something, as it is his brother involved. Being a brother myself, I think it's safe to say if I saw my brother being caught up in anything confrontational or something of that ilk, I would also look to go and help him out.

I might well be wrong regarding what has occurred but that's my take anyway.

lsd

The Oracle
He needs to get the same punishment Eric did . There is no excuse and he could have started a riot

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

You seem to be pretending to know lots. At this point all we really know is that he ran to help his brother out. He seemed to get there pretty quickly and whoever he was having a go at seemed to chicken out which is why 'fizzled out' much to the dismay of some loons. On face value, while it's not professional, on a human level it's understandable to react if your loved one is in trouble. That's not to say that more facts can't change the perception of the incident. And naturally the game needs stewards sorting issues out not players.