Erik Lamela

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

So what is everyone's predictions for him this season.. flop again or will he finally find his feet and take the league by storm?

coolredwine

lameredboots
Hope he doesn't do anything worthwhile this season as well, so that we can snap him cheap next year.

Or am I asking too much?

Sally Cinnamon

There's a big difference in what I'd call a "flop" and someone barely getting a chance.

Great talent IMO and he'll show it over the next two seasons, by which he'll still only be 24.

I hope he does well tbh.

::sonny::

So what is everyone's predictions for him this season.. flop again or will he finally find his feet and take the league by storm?
He has great skills in passing the ball backwards hahaha

Bigger flop than Fellaini

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Might come good, might not. Bit early to tell.

I'd have more faith in Eriksen though.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Can't have a worse season than the last one anyway. Think he'll have a decent season but like sully says, bit early to tell. Pochettino should be able to get a lot more out of him though

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Difficult to predict how it will go really. He had a lot of issues last season; no pre-season, new country and league, new language, strange management from the first manager and was then injured for the second half of the season.

He's now fit, had a full pre-season, the atmosphere around the club isn't toxic and a manager that (in theory) has a specific game plan and style of play. Hopefully this helps him and he'll have a good season.

I'm very willing to be patient with him though, he's still young. But has a huge amount of potential.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Can't have a worse season than the last one anyway. Think he'll have a decent season but like sully says, bit early to tell. Pochettino should be able to get a lot more out of him though
To be fair the lad was injured. Players of his type always struggle in their first season, and injuries just exponentially increase the difficulty. He is definitely talented, but I can think of many talented players who have failed to make it in the PL for whatever reason. Usually one day it "clicks" and works out. For others, like Anderson for example, it never does.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He needs to act like a winger rather than a #10 if he's on the left, which I think is what Gullit was suggesting. Spurs have too many players doing the same thing in the same area so they're all nullified.

He could do with playing on the right and cutting in though instead.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Who picks the music for those awful youtube clips?

manutddjw

He'll flop because I put him on my fantasy team because I predicted he'll have a breakout year under Pocchettino.

Kag

The worst Premier League purchase last season. I'm assuming he has talent, but I've yet to see it. Can't do any worse than last.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Wow he was awful. Maybe he'll come around but by that evidence I doubt it.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
very quick feet and good control over the ball, but he needs way more self-confidence to make good use of his skills. He could become a very good player, but he could also be waste of space. We´ll see fairly soon which direction he is going to take.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was rated as one of the top young players around when Spurs signed him. Surprised at how little impact he's made so far.

Was he overrated or is his talent still unquestionable?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I think his issue is confidence and I also think his best position is as a 10... he doesn't seem comfortable taking players on the outside, but when he's running with the ball after receiving a one-two into space he looks like he can take anyone on. His shooting ability is top class, really good left foot. Man-management will be key to him, giving him that freedom to grow and not getting on his back when he messes up.

Will be interesting to watch his development, or lack of it,

coolredwine

lameredboots
He was rated as one of the top young players around when Spurs signed him. Surprised at how little impact he's made so far.

Was he overrated or is his talent still unquestionable?
Only 10 games and has been injured till the end of time last season. Plus he is still 22. Reckon he would come good given time under a decent manager like Pocchetino.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
He looked really sharp in pre-season ... and has just now made two assists in the 7 mins since he came on as 2nd half sub in our Europa league final qualifying round - away to AEL Limassol.

I reckon he's going to shine this time around.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Yeah, he's came on and played well, but like the BBC bloke has said: "Now can he do it against a better side than the Cypriot top-flight's runners-up? That'll be the test."

Really hope he gets back to his Roma form for the sake of the league though as he was quality. Pochettino just seems like the right manager to get the best out of him too.

redmeister

Spurs don't need to worry about Lamela, as he's obviously talented. But my word Paulinho is rubbish. All last season my brother and father in law made excuses for him saying he'll show his class at the WC, where he was even worse than for Spurs. Tonight he rubbish yet again and gave a goal away. He truly is a contender for worst signing of last season, as he played plenty of football, didn't have any bad injuries and was just plain average, no better than someone like Steve Sidwell.

RooneyLegend

Very difficult for the attackers to perform when the midfielders get dominated at the extent that they were in that game. He should've done better but it was really difficult circumstances. Townsend looked a man on roids when he came on though.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
He was a worse signing than Fellani.
Nah, I've always believed that Felliani given time can play a role here. But the little impact he has made so far, combined with the fee and the fact that we could have got him for cheaper less than a month before we signed him, makes it a far worse signing. Lamela at 22 years still has age on his side so could easily make that fee look like peanuts in years to come. Fellaini at 26 doesn't have the luxury of time and still has it all to do.

FromTheBench

Looking way better already this season.

Some of his writing off has been absurd. If you saw him for Roma you could clearly see the talent.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Two assists again today.

Backing Pochettino to know what to do with him. Good to see as well, talented players deserve to show what they've got.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
I like him, but who always impresses me is Adebayor.. guys gets it done so consistently

Last edited:

Rafateria

Lamela has the talent to be a wonderful player in this league. Supposedly his head was elsewhere last season so we'll see how he goes this season though he hasn't looked anywhere close to the hype yet (QPR were utter shite and so it's really difficult to judge a player on that game).

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
I mean in the sense that he gives your team a lot of build up play and volume