Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

AussieDevil

Does he have the capacity to be a manager, not just a head coach?

He will have more responsibilities at United in comparison to Ajax, and the risk is whether he is capable to perform outside the comfort of a top tier footballing structure.

croadyman

Interesting to hear a rival fan worried about us appointing this guy but don't see it happening now anyway so they can breathe a sigh of relief

Jibbs

This guy seems City bound. He will find similar organized structure, professionalism and style which he is accustomed to at Ajax and Bayern.

JeffFromHK

the best "Progressive manager playing attacking football who is willing to develop youngsters" in the world right now who is not managing our rivals.

we never make right decisions so I dont think he will join us.

Gfooty

As an Ajax fan for over 20 years I can safely say forget about him coming this season. Sure everyone has a number but it's not a number Glazers are going to pay and more importantly he has a realistic shot of getting far, potentially final CL. 12/12 pts only 2 goals conceded (1 pen 1 unlucky grabble) in a group where we were certainly not favourites.

Besides the above Im not sure United is a good match for him. He plays very structured and disciplined and demands 100% obedience from his players. There's a popular video (I can't link media but its in dutch anyway) where he yells at ex Ajax player Noa Lang from the side of the pitch saying something like Shut your mouth and listen, do as I say. This is our match not your match. Ironically Noa left Ajax because he did not get the game time + contract + starting 11 he wanted which came from him being young, just came from Ajax second team a few months prior, and him being a diva and having an attitude. What I'm saying is, I'm not sure how this would work with the likes of Ronaldo, Pogba etc. The only way I would see him even coming to United is if he gets full mandate to implement his style of play and demand things like his attacking players to put in their defensive chores everytime, and if they don't, bench them or sell them.

Reactions: Cheimoon

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Poch will keep his job year on year with UCL QFs and 3rd/4th place finishes.

ETH would change us, mentality wise, bring about a system change that could take us to the big boy table again.

Last edited:

OleBoiii

This guy seems City bound.
What if Pep stays for another year or two? Would Ten Hag be willing to wait that long? His reputation is about as good as it can get for being an Ajax manager(unless he actually wins the CL). He'll be 52 in February and he has never managed a top team before, so surely he must be feeling a sense of urgency?

Last edited:

Red Royal

If ETH were to join, what do we reckon he would do with a lot of our 1st team and squad players.... e.g. could he get AWB playing better positionally, improve McTs passing range, convert Fred to a DM.

I think Poch would come in and just want a cheque book for a number of the positions where we are short...really would prefer using this squad with the addition of just a few because they should be good enough to challenge.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I like Ten Hag but I do think some posters are falling into a trap of liking him for his football and blindly assuming that will transition flawlessly in the Premier League. His style is not free of faults and those faults will be exposed the most if he brought it to England. His ability to tweak and adapt is probably there, but it's not proven relative to his peers. So for me the jury is still very much out and I'm indifferent between him and Poch.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well, that's a bit concerning. Throwing players under the bus in the media is very Mourinho-esque.
More Pep than Jose. Finding faults in his players to improve upon even when they’re winning. It’s that neurotic rain man coach style

LARulz

This guy seems City bound. He will find similar organized structure, professionalism and style which he is accustomed to at Ajax and Bayern.
Yeah, can't see him not going there. Pep will leave in the summer or after another season. Barca won't sack Xavi anytime soon, maybe Madrid but doubt he'd be happy there. Bayern are set. Dortmund maybe but feel he could do a step better

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

He will have more responsibilities at United in comparison to Ajax, and the risk is whether he is capable to perform outside the comfort of a top tier footballing structure.
Maybe it's time to move on from the outdated manager role.

M16Red

The reason I like him is because the shape is the same as our current.

Gordon Godot

It absolutely is, that doesn't mean United will do it, though.
Agreed, I keep saying this. Utd are rooted in the past and obsession with the Fergie era. They miss why he succeeded rather than the role he had. We need a DOF, a CEO who runs the club on footbal grounds and a robust recruitment and youth system that are properly funded and run on the same basis. Its a disgrace that we havent won the FA youth cup in over a decade.

Gordon Godot

I think he'll replace Pep in 2023 or '24.
Probably, but also makes my point. Regardless of the source of their dubious funding, City have built an excellent football structure that will survive changes in management and have a clear plan. No doubt already there is a short list of 3-4 managers (which I dount includes Rodgers). Contrast with United, absolute clueless sh*t show with no long term plan, no football structure, and clowns in charge.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
If ETH were to join, what do we reckon he would do with a lot of our 1st team and squad players.... e.g. could he get AWB playing better positionally, improve McTs passing range, convert Fred to a DM.

I think Poch would come in and just want a cheque book for a number of the positions where we are short...really would prefer using this squad with the addition of just a few because they should be good enough to challenge.
He'd play Bruno on the wing. The same happened to Ziyech, which isn't a bad thing. Ziyech was put there because he took too much risk with his passes and lost possession a lot. But on the wing it's not as dangerous as in the center of the pitch. Ziyech thrived because he was able to roam and still create a lot of chances and make "risky" passes, while also not worry too much about losing the ball.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's the hope that kills.

Still hope we somehow get him in, but I don't trust this board.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
And i wouldn't blame them.

We need someone now.
We can't afford to keep Carrick till the end of the season.

We need a manager. A real one.
The next 3 years are far more important than this one where we're already out of the title race. We just need someone who can help us 4th right now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Right now we need a proper coach much than a manager imo.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Could see Arsenal getting him and Overmars.

Womp

idiot
This is a pointless pipe dream IMO. I think we are nailed on to get Poch at this stage.

Sviken

Could see Arsenal getting him and Overmars.
If we go for Ten Hag, him without Overmars would be quite risky. I don't know how well Ten Hag would deal with our management structure. By all accounts Overmars is the brains behind the Ajax operation.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
If we go for Ten Hag, him without Overmars would be quite risky. I don't know how well Ten Hag would deal with our management structure. By all accounts Overmars is the brains behind the Ajax operation.
He became the management structure at Utrecht and did very well there.

However we don't need him, we have Mike.

RooneyLegend

Thats why we need to get him in with his mates.

croadyman

Yeah there is no doubt he needs a certain management structure in place to succeed much more than Pochettino

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Yeah there is no doubt he needs a certain management structure in place to succeed much more than Pochettino
Why? He was succesful at Utrecht where he became head manager and technical director. Definitely different levels yes, but his career doesnt show inflexibility at all.

croadyman

Why? He was succesful at Utrecht where he became head manager and technical director. Definitely different levels yes, but his career doesnt show inflexibility at all.
What I mean by that is Utd aren’t willing to give him the level of control he wants, unlike City with the Barca backroom lot

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
What I mean by that is Utd aren’t willing to give him the level of control he wants, unlike City with the Barca backroom lot
He doesnt have that much control at Ajax where Van de Sar and Overmars do most work behind the scenes and identify the players, long term squad, contracts etc, and had all control at Utrecht.

croadyman

He doesnt have that much control at Ajax where Van de Sar and Overmars do most work behind the scenes and identify the players, long term squad, contracts etc, and had all control at Utrecht.
Hence why I would love to get them but we will keep faith with Murtough & appoint Woody's pal

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Guess there is some hope that we hire an interim like Valverde or Ragnick and have a clear shot at Ten Hag next summer! I would prefer that to getting Pochettino now or on the summer by a long way.