Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

SAFMUTD

I would be less gutted if we lose him to Madrid or Bayern. But PSG or City, :(.
I don't think Pep will leave at the end of the year, but PSG on the other hand Poch is under huge pressure already if they don't do well on the UCL they're definitely going for Ten Hag.

ForeverRed1

No, not really. Guardiola said few months ago while visiting Brazil that WHEN he leaves City he will take a break and then he will manage a national team. He didnt say he is leaving exactly in 2023. Thats when his contract expires but you know he can always agree to an extention.
He said he plans to leave when his contract expires. One thing he will do is leave on a high. Can’t see him doing a wenger and staying longer than he should. He will go out at the top.

bosskeano

realistically this summer is going to be the best window for United to land a top class manager like Ten Hag because most of the big clubs have a manager already in place outside of PSG if Poch gets the sack

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Does Mazaroui get along with Ten Hag?

With him potentially being a free transfer - I wonder if we would be interested in signing him & may even give us a hint that our next manager is ten Hag

Gfooty

Does Mazaroui get along with Ten Hag?

With him potentially being a free transfer - I wonder if we would be interested in signing him & may even give us a hint that our next manager is ten Hag
They get along fine. His beef is with Ajax management who don't pay him enough (in his eyes). I think there was a comparison to Ziyech's wages where they responded somethink like "Well you are not Hakim...". Every interview I read about him and contract extensions has the words 'appreciation' and 'financial picture' in then.

More on Ten Hag. I think after seeing yesterdays game, I am confident he will not come here in summer unless he gets full mandate on the team and a major budget because no sane manager is touching this so called team (best to call it a group of individuals). Its simply digging your own grave as a manager -- this club needs a massive cleaning.

MUFC OK

Didn't he say something about expecting players to give 100% even if they are only playing for a few minutes?

Can't see him being too popular with the players.
I'm fine with that. People forget that City and Liverpool were overhauled by their managers and it took time to build their squads. You'd like to think we have a good few players that he could work with.

He's got the best pedigree for the job of those available on the market. I hope we get this tied up early for next season.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Hopefully if he is indeed coming then he should get a clause inserted in his contract that he will have the final say on which players will be moved on and which will be signed later on. Otherwise he'd be jumping into a snake pit hoping for the best and we've already seen what happened to the previous managers.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The squad we have at the moment simply cannot play the positional game. We are going to need wholesale changes.

MUFC OK

The squad we have at the moment simply cannot play the positional game. We are going to need wholesale changes.
Surely the likes of Greenwood, Sancho, Bruno, Amad could play in his preferred "4 10's" system?

marktan

I don't know much about him, but I bet he comes to us and becomes the managerial equivalent of Van De Beek.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Surely the likes of Greenwood, Sancho, Bruno, Amad could play in his preferred "4 10's" system?
This is not a question of formation. I can't imagine Bruno playing a positional game. His entire game is about playing a high number of risky passes and running beyond his forward to get in the box.
The midfield is another problem.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Ten Haag needs to be immediately warned of players current mood before stepping into Carrington.

At this point good luck to any brave one who'll take this job. Think the players already googled his name. Your football death and manner of sacking will be noted as act of heroism.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This is not a question of formation. I can't imagine Bruno playing a positional game. His entire game is about playing a high number of risky passes and running beyond his forward to get in the box.
The midfield is another problem.
Think whichever manager we get they will have problems. This team has been put together with no plan in mind. Just get whichever manager and let him sell the players who do not fit and let him build his own team.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He will be looking at us thinking do i really want to manage these entitled spoilt prima donnas.

What we need is to clear out the deadwood. Then give him a platform.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Probably true, especially in central midfield and defense. But you have to rip the bandaid off at some point.

What is really the alternative? The only really top level managers who have been highly successful in recent years without playing some variation of this kind of Guardiola-esque positional football are arguably Conte and Klopp and neither of those guys are walking through the door.

DomesticTadpole

He will be looking at us thinking do i really want to manage these entitled spoilt prima donnas.

Why have we allowed this to happen? You look at what City and Liverpool have won, no player is allowed to be bigger than the team or the manager. Some of this lot have done bugger all yet they think they can run the club. I hope we get someone in who can weed out the troublemakers.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Unless there's major changes to the playing staff, I feel like this team is going to be incompatible with any manager that has a strict type of tactical philosophy. Based on playing style alone and what we've seen from these lot over the last few years, a more conservative manager like Amorim may be more suitable. I think we all would prefer something a bit more exciting in terms of our football, hence why we all like the look of ETH, but at this point there is no point trying to make two incorrect pieces fit together.

gajender

Hopefully if he is indeed coming then he should get a clause inserted in his contract that he will have the final say on which players will be moved on and which will be signed later on. Otherwise he'd be jumping into a snake pit hoping for the best and we've already seen what happened to the previous managers.
This is how exactly we actually ended up in our current situation didn't we .

DomesticTadpole

Unless there's major changes to the playing staff, I feel like this team is going to be incompatible with any manager that has a strict type of tactical philosophy. Based on playing style alone and what we've seen from these lot over the last few years, a more conservative manager like Amorim may be more suitable. I think we all would prefer something a bit more exciting in terms of our football, hence why we all like the look of ETH, but at this point there is no point trying to make two incorrect pieces fit together.
Think some of this team need replacing, so maybe ETH will just make that happen. We have to be ruthless, even if we sell for a cheaper fee to get them off the books. The ones who rarely play are draining wages from the club for nothing anyway.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I think that's what Ralph will do with Murtough. He'll take his notes now, go upstairs and turf out about 5-6 players and allow Ten Hag (I hope) to bring his own in.

DevTheRed

Would absolutely love this appointment. Completely reset the squad, get rid of players who don’t want to be here and have a proper philosophy from a young coach who can be here for the next 10+ years with Ralf controlling the football side of things upstairs.. it makes so much sense.

Apart from staying at Ajax, I can’t see where else he goes? City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Munich, Juve, Real, Barca and PSG already have coaches who they are seemingly happy with and anywhere would be a sideways step.. please make it happen!

Reactions: Cheimoon

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
A strict type of tactical philosophy is virtually a requirement for success in today's game though. The tactics might differ a bit but what all the top level managers (Guardiola, Klopp, Conte, Tuchel, also next tier guys like Nagelsmann, ETH, Allegri, and Luis Enrique) have in common right now is that they are complete dictators, with very scripted movements of players and patterns of play in different phases of the game. Klopp might pretend not to be that way but just like actual heavy metal there is a high level of regimentation and discipline underneath all the noise.

If you have players who refuse to adapt to that kind of disciplined tactical game, the answer isn't to find a manager that will give them the freedom they want.

I think most players ultimately want to win. There are some problematic personalities who might just not fit a guy like ETH's tactics but my guess is that a player like Bruno, who is clearly a competitor, would do his best to adapt his game to the tactics if ETH could show him that this was the best path toward winning.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The next manager is going to want to sign 5-6 players asap.

No manager is going to stick with our CM and RB options for starters.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Think some of this team need replacing, so maybe ETH will just make that happen. We have to be ruthless, even if we sell for a cheaper fee to get them off the books. The ones who rarely play are draining wages from the club for nothing anyway.
I just worry that thing will go south quickly for ETH if he doesn't hit the ground running. His claim to being top class is relatively flimsy on the surface, having only managed the biggest club in a poor league. Let's say he comes in and has to clear out players before he can put together a team that can carry out his vision, but the results are poor (similar to what we're seeing now), then I could quite easily see the pressure being ramped up on him and people beginning to question if he's another failed Dutch export. It just doesn't feel like he's built up a lot of credit in the football world yet, if you know what I mean.

Having said all that, he'd still be one of my top choices if we were willing to let a manager completely build their own team or Rangnick does most leg work now. I just have a nagging feeling that he'll flop here after what we've seen so far under Rangnick.

DomesticTadpole

A strict type of tactical philosophy is virtually a requirement for success in today's game though. The tactics might differ a bit but what all the top level managers (Guardiola, Klopp, Conte, Tuchel, also next tier guys like Nagelsmann, ETH, Allegri, and Luis Enrique) have in common right now is that they are complete dictators, with very scripted movements of players and patterns of play in different phases of the game. Klopp might pretend not to be that way but just like actual heavy metal there is a high level of regimentation and discipline underneath all the noise.

If you have players who refuse to adapt to that kind of disciplined tactical game, the answer isn't to find a manager that will give them the freedom they want.
They have had too much freedom. If they do not like tactics, hit the road Jack.