Erik ten Hag - Ajax Manager

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
A strict type of tactical philosophy is virtually a requirement for success in today's game though. The tactics might differ a bit but what all the top level managers (Guardiola, Klopp, Conte, Tuchel, also next tier guys like Nagelsmann, ETH, Allegri, and Luis Enrique) have in common right now is that they are complete dictators, with very scripted movements of players and patterns of play in different phases of the game.
Spot the impostor

Btw i'm amazed at united fans talking about rebuild. Club has won feck all in 8 seasons and counting, can count on the likes of Varane, Cristiano, Bruno, Sancho, and people want a fecking rebuild? Wow :lol:

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Moses could part the irwell and still get thrown under the bus by the players.

None can make them succeed. Only solution is to kick out the downtooling knobs.

hungrywing

Which half? :) I don't see the Van de Beek link in any case. For context, here are the two preceding questions as well. As you can see from the first question here, they change subjects into a move abroad for this final bit. (I changed a few things where the translation was a bit too weird.)
The part where we bought him and promised him playing time and his parents VdS even wrote that nice note and then we dipped it in oil and set fire to it along with all his minutes while ETH watched on in horror from afar.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Spot the impostor

Btw i'm amazed at united fans talking about rebuild. Club has won feck all in 8 seasons and counting, can count on the likes of Varane, Cristiano, Bruno, Sancho, and people want a fecking rebuild? Wow :lol:
A rebuild is inevitable though, we're losing a lot of players in the upcoming window, Ronaldo's likely to be one of them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
A rebuild is inevitable though, we're losing a lot of players in the upcoming window, Ronaldo's likely to be one of them.
Rebuild is a ridiculous idea that only ever applies to massively successful and long cycles, when a team keeps riding the same players for a long period because they keep winning until all of a sudden they're all too old

United need 2 midfielders, maybe a RWB and a top coach to win right now. Why the feck should they rebuild

Gfooty

Rebuild is a ridiculous idea that only ever applies to massively successful and long cycles, when a team keeps riding the same players for a long period because they keep winning until all of a sudden they're all too old

United need 2 midfielders, maybe a RWB and a top coach to win right now. Why the feck should they rebuild
I would argue a (re)build also goes for a team that's won feck all for years whilst keeping the expectation of winning something.

Theres a whole list of players either not good enough or not putting in enough effort that need to go. Wages are still sky high while pretty much all expensive inbound transfers have lost market value.

The fact that someone on this board claims all can be fixed with a new manager and 1-2 key signings is beyond me. Where have you been the last 8-9 years?

RooneyLegend

Stop messing about and bring the guy in. We can even get some of his players to make him comfortable. Also he has no business leaving his DOF behind, I doubt Fletcher would help him much.

Bennie Blanco

I only deem de Gea, Fernandes and Shaw good enough to play in the starting eleven week in, week out.

The rest of the players simply aren't good enough.

Nordmore

Agreed.

At least a good DM, if possible a RB and another CM. And of course a top coach.

But what's even more important is to get rid of those lazy primadonas or past it players first imo. A top coach won't be able to succeed here if he has to deal with such.

NoLogo

Spot the impostor

I don't think a complete rebuild is needed, but it's a bit shocking how many pieces of the puzzle are still missing after all this time and the amount of money spent.

minoo-utd

Yes his football is impressive but to talk like that you must to prove your self first at more bigger team in bigger league! ( Respect to Ajax )

Our board is clearly patient, look how Ole stayed 3 years.

Ralf is very honest man so him on board will put an honest vision to the next manager and what will be expected.

We yet have no philosophy but we started to change things regarding football matters finally.

Graveyard

If ETH is coming he is not bringing a team of people like Mourinho and Conte. He wants to work with what is already here. This is also what he told Spurs. We will need to prepare a structure for him, like City did for Pep. He does not want full control of in- and outgoing transfers, rather he wants to focus on what is happening on the pitch.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If ETH is coming he is not bringing a team of people like Mourinho and Conte. He wants to work with what is already here. This is also what he told Spurs. We will need to prepare a structure for him, like City did for Pep. He does not want full control of in- and outgoing transfers, rather he wants to focus on what is happening on the pitch.
Surely that’s perfect?!

romufc

He’ll wait for the City job
Why would he do that? He does not know when the City job will become available, he doesn't know if he would get it.

No manager would wait for one job rejecting the chance of joining other clubs.

Wilt

Why would he do that? He does not know when the City job will become available, he doesn't know if he would get it.

He seems happy a Ajax and I don’t see him chomping at the bit for the Utd job, It’s become a poison challis.

My guess is Pochettino will be the next Utd manager.

Telsim

Why wouldn't he do that is the question?

Chill comfortably at Ajax until a better opportunity comes in the next 1-2 years. It doesn't necessarily have to be City. Or risk career suicide on the off chance he might succeed at a shambolic Manchester United where the last 4 managers failed spectacularly.

Pretty clear choice if you ask me.

romufc

Why wouldn't he do that is the question?

Chill comfortably at Ajax until a better opportunity comes in the next 1-2 years. It doesn't necessarily have to be City. Or risk career suicide on the off chance he might succeed at a shambolic Manchester United where the last 4 managers failed spectacularly.

Pretty clear choice if you ask me.
He can do that, doesn't mean he is waiting for the City job.

So you think him waiting for another club in the next 2 years will mean automatic success?

I mean its is quite clear why managers take the United job on, its called ambition. A really ambitious manager who believes in what they are doing would 100% take the United job. Why?

Because the next manager to win United the League or Cl will become a legend. Any manager can win the league with Bayern, Juve, PSG, Real, Barca. The PL is where it is difficult and most clubs are might succeed.

Infra-red

He seems happy a Ajax and I don’t see him chomping at the bit for the Utd job, It’s become a poison challis.

My guess is Pochettino will be the next Utd manager.
Agreed. I expect ETH will wait a year and take the City job.

As evidenced by the past nine years, the United job is one to avoid.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mostly because the guys who have taken the job just haven't been good enough. It was either guys who were well above their paygrade (Moyes; Ole); well past their prime (van Gaal); or on the early stages of a steep decline (Mourinho).

We've not had either a manager very much in their peak, or a manager just reaching that level. Ten Hag is the latter and should do pretty well if the facilities are in place for him.

SAFMUTD

Where you got this from?

Telsim

So you think him waiting for another club in the next 2 years will mean automatic success?

I mean its is quite clear why managers take the United job on, its called ambition. A really ambitious manager who believes in what they are doing would 100% take the United job. Why?

Because the next manager to win United the League or Cl will become a legend. Any manager can win the league with Bayern, Juve, PSG, Real, Barca. The PL is where it is difficult and most clubs are might succeed.
Nothing guarantees success. And definitely not joining any of the clubs you mentioned. Especially PSG or Juventus.

What Manchester United do guarantee however is a brutal job with a high risk of high-profile failure. In a club that's closer to a media organization than sport. The manager might believe in what he is doing, but he needs structure and strategy around him to execute his vision. We have neither. And haven't had that for 10 years. A manager here has to oversee more and work thrice as hard as his counterparts towards the same goals. It's like playing a game on extra difficulty for no reason. Only, this time your career is on the line. Everyone who cares about that and their legacy knows the mess this club is and what they will be signing up for.

Why deal with all if that when you can just not deal with it and still compete for the same accolades elsewhere? There is no reason to. Especially when you are at a breakpoint in your career.

This fanbase has the unhealthy tendency to vastly overestimate the attractiveness of this club. How many top tier managers have blown us off in the past decade? Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti, Zidane.

romufc

Agreed. I expect ETH will wait a year and take the City job.

As evidence has shown, Liverpool was a club to avoid... Klopp trusted himself and his methods to bring back glory.

That is what drives certain managers to take the job.

romufc

Nothing guarantees success. And definitely not joining any of the clubs you mentioned. Especially PSG or Juventus.

What Manchester United do guarantee however is a brutal job with a high risk of high-profile failure. In a club that's closer to a media organization than sport. The manager might believe in what he is doing, but he needs structure and strategy around him to execute his vision. We have neither. And haven't had that for 10 years. A manager here has to oversee more and work thrice as hard as his counterparts towards the same goals. It's like playing a game on extra difficulty for no reason. Only, this time your career is on the line. Everyone who cares about that and their legacy knows the mess this club is and what they will be signing up for.

Why deal with all if that when you can just not deal with it and still compete for the same accolades elsewhere? There is no reason to. Especially when you are at a breakpoint in your career.

This fanbase has the unhealthy tendency to vastly overestimate the attractiveness of this club. How many top tier managers have blown us off in the past decade? Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti, Zidane.

Ever heard of High risk High Reward?

Every club has its flaws, alot thought Chelsea won't attract managers because they are ruthless but the managers that come believe in themselves.

Now, let me twist it, what you do guarantee at United is a high wage, ability to sign players, play at OT, manage one of the biggest teams in the world.

Also, just to inform you, there have been changes in the board room, introduction of technical director, DoF and Ralf to help us become a modern football club.

The club will always be attractive, its got history and the ability to pay well. A club that is not competing for the PL or Cl does not sign Ronaldo, Sancho, Varane if its not attractive.

Finally, I have read about Klopp, could you evidence Pep, Anchelotti or ZIdane saying they dont want to manage United specifically?

Its funny you say Pep blew us off, when was this?

JuriM

As evidence has shown, Liverpool was a club to avoid... Klopp trusted himself and his methods to bring back glory.

That is what drives certain managers to take the job.
And Liverpool trusted Klopp that the Lazar Markovice's and Mamadou Sahko's won't win them Premier League nor Champions League.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Spot the impostor

Nothing to laugh there . We have literally a non existent midfield and an awful set of full backs. That's 4 signings minimum. Yes, it's a rebuild if we have to sign 4-5 players for the first team.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

The money is a real consideration too. ETH is reportedly making 2m a year and my guess is that United would pay him at least 10m per year on a 3-4 year deal. That's transformative money that guarantees a very comfortable financial future for him and his family no matter what else happens in his career. If he waits he could get a similar deal in a couple years but you never know. What happens if Ajax has a terrible season next year? Does he get the same kind of offers?

If I were ETH, the biggest question I would have about United is what kind of patience the hierarchy would give me and whether they would try to constrain my team-building choices. There are some big players that don't seem like good fits for his football and I would want to know that the club backs me 100% to make the decisions about who to move on and who to keep, no matter how that might look from a public relations standpoint and even if it means selling some players at a considerable loss. If the club is suggesting to me that X, Y, and Z are our stars and de facto brand ambassadors and we paid big money for them so therefore they need to be central to my project, then I look elsewhere.

romufc

The money is a real consideration too. ETH is reportedly making 2m a year and my guess is that United would pay him at least 10m per year on a 3-4 year deal. That's transformative money that guarantees a very comfortable financial future for him and his family no matter what else happens in his career. If he waits he could get a similar deal in a couple years but you never know. What happens if Ajax has a terrible season next year? Does he get the same kind of offers?

If I were ETH, the biggest question I would have about United is what kind of patience the hierarchy would give me and whether they would try to constrain my team-building choices. There are some big players that don't seem like good fits for his football and I would want to know that the club backs me 100% to make the decisions about who to move on and who to keep, no matter how that might look from a public relations standpoint and even if it means selling some players at a considerable loss. If the club is suggesting to me that X, Y, and Z are our stars and de facto brand ambassadors and we paid big money for them so therefore they need to be central to my project, then I look elsewhere.
Ofcourse money is a big factor, people think cause we have been run badly, we wont be attractive.

Ofcourse, we might miss out on a few managers, players, I mean during our glory days, we missed out on loads of players. This happens.

ETH is not an elite manager who has won numerous CL's, he won the Dutch league which De Boer has done in the past and couldn't manage Palace and had 1 really good CL run, yet people are acting as if he is on Pep, Klopp's level of management.

This period that Ralf has with the players will help the board understand which players can make it and which can't, I can see the club backing the manager over players in the next year given the dross they been playing.

luck&neat

Has he been doing well this season?
Ajax are looking good.

Cantered through their CL group consisting of Dortmund, Besiktas and Sporting with 6 wins out of 6. (20 Goals for, 5 Against).
Currently sat 2nd in the Ere behind PSV by 1 point, BUT they have scored 59 goals and conceded 4 in 19 league games. Their GD a full 32 better than PSV's.
Still in the KNVB cup (round of 16).

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think he rejected Akax when Bosz left because he wanted more control than they offered him.

Graveyard

Where you got this from?
Not sure if I can post links but the part about backroom staff I think I found in an article called "Journalist reveals what Spurs found ‘very strange’ during Ten Hag talks" (google).

I think he rejected Akax when Bosz left because he wanted more control than they offered him.
Apparently Ten Hag became Overmars' target when Keizer already had the job (google: "Overmars: 'Toen dacht ik: hij wordt mijn nieuwe Ajax-trainer'"). In the same article it says Ten Hag only wanted to come if Overmars was staying. Without Overmars Ten Hag would have more control so that means it's really not about controlling everything for him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ajax are looking good.

Cantered through their CL group consisting of Dortmund, Besiktas and Sporting with 6 wins out of 6. (20 Goals for, 5 Against).
Currently sat 2nd in the Ere behind PSV by 1 point, BUT they have scored 59 goals and conceded 4 in 19 league games. Their GD a full 32 better than PSV's.
Still in the KNVB cup (round of 16).
Damn. 4 goals conceded only is very impressive in 19 games.

Caesar2290

Beat PSV 2-1 to go top of the league today. Ajax finally conceded the 5th goal of the season in the league after 20 games with a GD of 56.

I really hope the board will listen to Ralf and make him our priority.